Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I wasn't there but looking at those goals it does strike me that on another night it might not have seemed so easy. They all flew in.

Not suggesting anything negative. It's good to see so many speculative shots go in.
  • Options
    Well SHG I and the people who I sit with have been saying for a long while that we don't shoot enough and work the goalie so looks like this is a refreshing change. Personally I don't care if the ball goes in off the corner flag a 5-1 away win is very welcome.
  • Options
    Wait until Umerah gets his chance. He can hit them from 30 yards plus.
  • Options
    Was at the match. Strange game rovers started brightly with us being slow to start. Once we went ahead we settled down and scored a good second.

The third killed them off and strangely for them they made 2 subs at ht. That quickly was 3 after the 3rd went in. That cost them as theirr centre half got injured stopping a certain 4th.

After that it was all us and we should have had a few more.

Can't believe the starts staying they had 6 corners. They had about that many in as many minutes in the first half.

Difficult game Saturday.
  • Options

I wasn't there but looking at those goals it does strike me that on another night it might not have seemed so easy. They all flew in.

The way I see it is thats been coming for a while.

Against a few teams at the Valley this season (AFC Wimbledon being the obvious one) we should have scored a hat full of goals (rather than lose 2-1 in that instance) only to constantly come up against a Goalkeeper in the form of their lives.

So good to see we faced a 'Keeper having a mare for once
  • Options

Apologies for not posting sooner but at 1.45 this morning, the call from my bed was a tad stronger than that from my laptop.

A very wet journey to Brizzle through mist, rain, & extremely black lowering clouds made me anxious for the match's go ahead so Five Live accompanied us all the way. But that amazing rainbow witnessed around Reading had a pot of gold at its end this time.

We took our seats in the marquee at kick off due to parking being an absolute nightmare....Just as well we didn't stay in the pub for another vino as one dear friend suggested ! However, progress to our "stand" was perilous thanks to a huge bear hug from @Rock Spectacle who had decided to vacate his seat amongst some regime fanciers & relocate to the standing area. Good to see you mate !

What is left to say about this unexpected but welcome 3 points ?

Apart from a couple of onslaughts on our goal which young Dillon dealt with superbly in front of us, we had the lion's share of the play ...let's hope this continues into the home of those endangered creatures on December 21st.

From our view behind the goal , at pitch level, it was difficult to see our strikes at the far end but the waves of attacking forays towards us after the break & the subsequent goals was impressive ( Katrien & the Waves, anyone ?)

All the lads did what they are there to do with Chicksen a decent addition to last Saturday's starting line up and his goal was a bonus. Long may it continue.

So, a deserved victory & a hatful of goals to boot. What more could a humble Addick want ?

But, lest we forget, one swallow does not a summer make although the confidence gained from back to back wins & a 5 goal haul should not be underestimated.

What we have to remember is that moving up the L1 table doesn't solve our biggest problem .....the regime is still firmly in place & our fight to regain OUR club must continue unabated.

We are in this league because of the total mismanagement by KM /RD - the 2 that are clearly 1 as RD & the Spice Girls remind us. The strong foundations built over the years are still crumbling, the historically unique relationship twixt club and supporters is irretrievably damaged & only their departure will heal the breach.

We must NOT lose sight of the ultimate goal , nor must we start to believe the inevitable untruths spouted. Do we really think young Ademola will be our player when February arrives ?

The protests were never about winning/losing matches although without the "help" of the regime's numerous mistakes, we would be planning our trips to St James & Villa Park this season.

The protests are about removing this poisonous owner ...

...so that, once again, we, the faithful, may be proud of our beloved, famous football club.

Support the team, NOT the regime !

That rainbow with the pot of gold fran was in my back garden.... Lucky for me i was home at 12
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Just seen the goals and their keeper certainly looked like he had a bit of a mare.

Only based on watching a minute or so on Sky but seemed like lots of movement up front for us with options everywhere.

Roland be gone!

He was dreadful
  • Options

Stewards were odd, they accused some bloke of filming the game and threatened to kick him out, he was just on his phone.

That 'bloke' was standing right next to me. He was 16 years old MAX. He filmed the goal celebration and was with his dad. Ridiculous really
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just an aside .. why did we wear blue last night ? .. against the blue and white of the Pirates, red would have made a nice contrast
  • Options
    Welll done lads - great win.
    Super saves by Phillips, especially the third one with his right hand down low.
  • Options

just an aside .. why did we wear blue last night ? .. against the blue and white of the Pirates, red would have made a nice contrast

Agreed. Most odd.

The last two matches demonstrate the benefit of keeping an attacking formation through to the final whistle, rather than going defensive once ahead, and trying to hang on grimly.
    Great for confidence for one thing.
  • Options
    The Bristol keeper had a Meire.
  • Options
    I'm pleased Chicksen had a good game. I've been saying give him a game for months.
  • Options
    Was that Dreisen in goal for them?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Tavern said:

Great win, pleased for Nugent and the lads.

Always love to hear we've won regardless of all the other crap.

Five different scorers too and first away win for months.

Downside is that some deluded fools think this means we'll beat the Spanners.

Been a while fella so why not and could make Xmas even better!
    I'll be there just in case
    Not beaten them home and away since 95/96 ...this is the year and I have a ticket for the away game.
    All depends on whether Gregory and Morison are fit. We look absolutely clueless without those two, or at least just one of them, up front. Hopefully Gregory's injury is short term but they're saying about a month to six weeks for Morison so doubt he'll be match fit for our game v you lot.

Still, you'd have to win about 15 on the spin to even come close to beating us on the head to heads, in what must be the most one sided Derby in English football :wink:

• Options

Sorry, just checked the head to heads. If you won 15 on the spin you'd still be 7 wins behind us. My mistake.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/millwall/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Charlton Athletic/

The past is irrelevant ... it's all about now.

At least it will be if we win at the Den :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

Sorry, just checked the head to heads. If you won 15 on the spin you'd still be 7 wins behind us. My mistake.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/millwall/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Charlton Athletic/

The past is irrelevant ... it's all about now.

At least it will be if we win at the Den :wink:
    Make you right mate. Just covering myself in case you do beat us :wink:
    You had me at your first post darling... stop buttering us up!
  • Options

What gives me confidence now is that the players seem to have some confidence on the ball whilst despite our next opponents are Sheffield United, they've not lost since August - Quite simply sure thats got to change sooner or later so why not against us?

Are you Curbs in disguise.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Tavern said:

Great win, pleased for Nugent and the lads.

Always love to hear we've won regardless of all the other crap.

Five different scorers too and first away win for months.

Downside is that some deluded fools think this means we'll beat the Spanners.

Been a while fella so why not and could make Xmas even better!
    I'll be there just in case
    Not beaten them home and away since 95/96 ...this is the year and I have a ticket for the away game.
    You always have a ticket for the away game, remind me how they all went ;-)
  • Options
    jdmotion said:

Agreed. Most odd.

The last two matches demonstrate the benefit of keeping an attacking formation through to the final whistle, rather than going defensive once ahead, and trying to hang on grimly.
    Great for confidence for one thing.
    At this level, you've got to expect defenders and 'keepers to be prone to the occassional error, so it makes a lot more sense to go looking for more goals rather than expect to keep a clean sheet by defending a one goal lead.
  • Options

@MillwallFan, yes our record against you is appalling, but what you're forgetting is all those years we didn't get a chance to beat you because we were in a higher division. There aren't too many seasons where you can say the same, are there?
  • Options

@MillwallFan, yes our record against you is appalling, but what you're forgetting is all those years we didn't get a chance to beat you because we were in a higher division. There aren't too many seasons where you can say the same, are there?
    Dont forget the one time we played Millwall as a Premier League side was in a pre-season friendly (Yes I know its just a friendly) but didnt we win about 4-1 that day?
  • Options

Dont forget the one time we played Millwall as a Premier League side was in a pre-season friendly (Yes I know its just a friendly) but didnt we win about 4-1 that day?
    Getting desperate now :wink:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Getting desperate now :wink: