Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

http://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/11631/charlton-keeper-dillon-phillips-can-play-league-one-level-every-week/

Sounds a down to earth yet confident lad...

Always surprised me that he lasted so long as looking from afar he didnt look First-Team material just looking at him

Would like to see him given a decent run - did well on loan. We need to get behind him.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

What gives me confidence now is that the players seem to have some confidence on the ball whilst despite our next opponents are Sheffield United, they've not lost since August - Quite simply sure thats got to change sooner or later so why not against us?

Thank you Curbs
  • Options

New boss bounce

That normally only works when the opposition have the new boss in our case. :smiley:
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

What gives me confidence now is that the players seem to have some confidence on the ball whilst despite our next opponents are Sheffield United, they've not lost since August - Quite simply sure thats got to change sooner or later so why not against us?

Thank you Curbs
    Sssshhhhh
  • Options

http://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/11631/charlton-keeper-dillon-phillips-can-play-league-one-level-every-week/

Sounds a down to earth yet confident lad...

Always surprised me that he lasted so long as looking from afar he didnt look First-Team material just looking at him

Would like to see him given a decent run - did well on loan. We need to get behind him.
    Was disappointed that he's only played the JPT Cup games so far this season.

Was hoping that he'd get the League Cup and FA Cup too
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Great result of course and very morale boosting, just in time for the inevitable kick in the nuts at the Toolbox!
  • Options
    the shackles are off .. what a difference a new (interim) manager makes .. all done without Holmes .. be interested to read the comments about Chicksen .. can't wait until Saturday when we blunt the Blades ..

• Options

Sheff Utd may not have lost but their recent performances have not been great. They have narrowly beat 9 men in their last two games. They won't be looking forward to Saturday in so much as they will be a bit wary of us. We need to use that!

True but that to me says that they just struggle to break down packed defences. 14 goals in 9 home games but 19 scored in 9 away games. Most sides will go to Bramall lane and play for a point.

Seems to me they're better when a team comes at them, so they'll be pretty dangerous opponents on saturday.
  • Options
    Just seen the goals and their keeper certainly looked like he had a bit of a mare.

Only based on watching a minute or so on Sky but seemed like lots of movement up front for us with options everywhere.

Roland be gone!
  • Options

Sheff Utd may not have lost but their recent performances have not been great. They have narrowly beat 9 men in their last two games. They won't be looking forward to Saturday in so much as they will be a bit wary of us. We need to use that!

True but that to me says that they just struggle to break down packed defences. 14 goals in 9 home games but 19 scored in 9 away games. Most sides will go to Bramall lane and play for a point.

Seems to me they're better when a team comes at them, so they'll be pretty dangerous opponents on saturday.
    I reckon Saturday will see a similar game to the one when Bolton came to the Valley in September

Both teams really cagey and eager not to lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We like a 5 at Bristol Rovers. Back in the late 70s we had a 5-5 at Eastville.

Yes great was at that matrch also
  • Options
    Amazing what you can achieve if you set out a team that tries to win... Lookman's goal was absolute class. Ajose and Magennis looking a decent partnership and with Foley in a sensible position he actually looks relatively solid. Phillips kept us in the game with some incredible saves and when we bagged the second, it seemed Rovers ran out of ideas...

Second half was more of a procession, especially when they had used up all their subs and went down to 10. Quality evening out, even saw our new manager who seemed very keen to take on the role. Just a shame that once the dust has settled I cannot see any changes....

Hopefully Nugent will be given a job under KR. #rolandout
  • Options
    redbuttle said:

kentred2 said:

5 1 and couldn't give a shit. Would have preferred a defeat. Realised I no longer support CAFC after 48 years. Like my great interest in pre Norman history I will love my memories of Charlton past, reading about the history, talking to other fans and collecting my memorabilia and programmes etc, but no feelings for the present team at all.

If you feel nothing after that result then it's time to give up.
    I think he already has!
  • Options
    That pass from Fox for Chicksen's goal. Woof!
  • Options

That pass from Fox for Chicksen's goal. Woof!

Plus a lovely turn from Chicksen too!!
  • Options

I hope you're not making a case to bring Slade back!
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

5 1 and couldn't give a shit. Would have preferred a defeat. Realised I no longer support CAFC after 48 years. Like my great interest in pre Norman history I will love my memories of Charlton past, reading about the history, talking to other fans and collecting my memorabilia and programmes etc, but no feelings for the present team at all.

I feel exactly the opposite. I know it's only a couple of results and I still hate the regime but it feels so good to look at a positive move in the table. I don't look in on this site so much because it's all so depressing (not knocking CL I love it, it's just the way things are) so I might try match and post match threads only for a while. it sounds like living in a bit of a bubble regarding Charlton but I still remember when I only really cared about results and felt happy or not depending on the final score alone.

• Options
    edited November 2016

Very anal stewards. Threatened to confiscate a Teenage lads phone for filming Valley Floyd Road. So pathetic and the steward wanted an argument. Must've been standing there arguing for 5 minutes with the fans around this kid. Really ridiculous. The chants of "Facebook Live" were good though.

I think the correct term is "bar stewards".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Kevin Nugent post match. Great interview I thought, likeable bloke on the evidence of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL36gAl1n48

Interesting how he mentions that Ajose and Josh have to be on their toes because of Brandon, and not Lee Novak!
  • Options

seth plum said:

Kevin Nugent post match. Great interview I thought, likeable bloke on the evidence of that.

Interesting how he mentions that Ajose and Josh have to be on their toes because of Brandon, and not Lee Novak!
    Yeah I've found it strange that Hanlan is ahead of Novak at the moment i.e. He was missing yesterday due to a niggle but was kept on the bench on Saturday
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The official crowd last night was 8100 for a cold Tuesday night, not far off the official crowd for the Valley last Saturday.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Indeed, would rather keep him for now as manager.
  • Options
    The keeper seemed rooted to his line and didn't command his box.

I wouldn't blame him for the 2 goals that deflected off defenders, they're almost impossible to judge right.

Our 3rd goal wasn't just down to their keeper. From Lookman's corner, Bauer got in front of his man virtually unchallenged to head the ball down down; watch Ajose -
    he's positioned right front of the keeper who I reckon was unsighted right until the last moment and moving too late.

And for the 5th goal, Ajose's speculative shot bounced a yard or 2 short in front of the keeper - that bounce usually deceives most keepers who've already committed themselves.

Not a good night for the keeper - but look at some of that loose Rovers' defending, allowing plenty of space and time for our strikers.

• Options
    great result....however I still don't regret my decision

had I hung around, the game would've gone a totally different way given my away record.
  • Options

Shame we won't get to see the all angles footage though.

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 26m26 minutes ago
    GO PRO | We've got some cracking alternative angles of all five goals at @Official_BRFC coming up later this afternoon. Stay tuned! #cafc
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

The official crowd last night was 8100 for a cold Tuesday night, not far off the official crowd for the Valley last Saturday.

It looked like we brought a few as well. I was standing but we had just under half that seated area and the terrace was full(ish) I thought
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dansk_Red said:

It looked like we brought a few as well. I was standing but we had just under half that seated area and the terrace was full(ish) I thought
    411 away fans I thought I read on one tweet