Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting To Know The Network (4 Part Radio Documentary) (31/1 Part 3, pg. 17)

Comments

• Options

The podcasts did not make me angry as I was expecting most of it. Duchatelet's latest comments, however - I am seething!! The translation of the emails above is spot-on. There is also a nonsense paragraph in the article that says in the first weeks after the takeover, Powell rarely answered Duchatelet's telephone calls and that explains why he was forced to write emails. What a load of ballcocks!!

Here is what Powell said about the relationship in the Trust interview in Feb 2015:

“Within a week, after my first meeting at the Valley, I knew I wouldn’t be there too long and I knew exactly what was going to happen in regards to people like Yann, Dale and a few others and what he was going to do. It wasn’t just what he was telling me. I had a press conference where he said I was a good coach. Well, I was arguing with him just an hour before – about Charlton – I was saying to him, you can’t do that, you cannot do what you are planning to do with this club. It’s not right, it’s not fair, let’s not string people along.”

Powell describes his first meeting with Duchâtelet, at which Tony Jiminez was also present. The omens were not good – Powell was ill the night before, and had to pull over on his way to The Valley to be physically sick. The Belgian businessman arrived with strong ideas about the playing squad, while Jiminez, keen to ensure the deal was quickly done and dusted, sided with the new man’s opinions rather than supporting his manager. “We had the nonsense with the goalkeepers. Ben Alnwick had come in and was outstanding with Ben Hamer being out. He (Roland) said Ben Hamer is not good, Ben Alnwick is not good. I’ve got a goalkeeper who’s better than both. I said, who is it, I need to know. Then it was always, oh he’s better, he’s this, he’s that. I said I need to choose who’s right, for this division and this league.”

Clearly there was intransigence on both sides of the table, but Powell is not at all bitter in what he is describing, just deeply disappointed at the gulf in football philosophy. He is a manager who takes full responsibility for putting together his own squad, yet he was faced with the complete opposite, “I’d be in my office and there’s a player turning up downstairs with his suitcase, saying he’s come to play. Who is it? It’s Loic Nego, it’s Anil Koç. I don’t even know who they are. ‘We’ve been told you need a winger’ – yeah, but I need a winger who’s used to the Championship, and you’ve got a young boy who’s played three games for Standard off the bench. I mean, that’s not for Charlton. Charlton deserve a player who’s going to improve them.” He was clearly very frustrated at the lack of understanding of the strengths of the existing squad, “He’d say you need a right back, I’d say we’ve got Chris Solly. If he’s better than Chris Solly, going to be some player! Nego came in, played against Wigan, clearly not suited. (Roland) said, well he can play left back. I said, well I’ve got Rhoys Wiggins, and Ceddy Evina who can fill in, fine you’re not going to have two top drawer – we’re not Chelsea or Man City, but you need players who are able to play at the level. I just knew that whenever there was a time that I didn’t play them, I was going to be in trouble.”

Powell explains how he tried hard to make the relationship work, "I was very open with them at the start – I said to Roland, I will come over and I will meet you, and you can tell me exactly what your plans are. I held my hand out, extended friendship to say welcome to South East London. I will tell you exactly what the Club’s about, what’s gone great, what hasn’t.” But Duchâtelet did not want Powell to go to Belgium. “I said to him re-sign Yann, it’s a no-brainer, he said ‘NO – I don’t think he’s good enough, we’ve got better strikers’ – and now, I know Charlton are looking for a physical striker. We had one – he didn’t want to leave. It was the same with Dale. I know this league - of course, I’m not going to get everything right, will get a few things wrong, which I did at Charlton, which I will here. But I know what it takes in this league. I think anyone in any walk of life if they’re doing a job and someone tells them they are doing it all wrong, when they have no experience of it, that’s pretty hard to take.”

So as well as lecturing Chrissy about formations he was trying to tell him about left backs! Is there any end to this man's arrogance?
  • Options

Roland can afford the best of everything. If he required a life saving operation he could employ:-

A surgeon who has completed 667 operations - a man so admired that he was asked to represent his country five times at international meetings. The same man that then earned the respect of his peers, and was duly elected to represent them in his professional association for five years. A man that then moved into teaching where he served his apprenticeship under the most revered of fellows. A man that later set up on his own and continued to be successful.

… Or, select a confident younger guy, who has gained his knowledge from the comfort of his own bedroom by watching Holby City, House, Casualty, Grey’s Anatomy and Scrubs.

Roland is a wise man (we are told), he does not do failure, he’d make the right choice.

Roland can afford the best of everything. If he required a life saving operation he could employ:-

A surgeon who has completed 667 operations - a man so admired that he was asked to represent his country five times at international meetings. The same man that then earned the respect of his peers, and was duly elected to represent them in his professional association for five years. A man that then moved into teaching where he served his apprenticeship under the most revered of fellows. A man that later set up on his own and continued to be successful.

… Or, select a confident younger guy, who has gained his knowledge from the comfort of his own bedroom by watching Holby City, House, Casualty, Grey’s Anatomy and Scrubs.

Or he could just hire me. I was very good at game operation the patient with the red nose.

• Options

We were not bottom of the league when those emails were sent.

Good point, I was referring to when he was sacked but I've updated to reflect this truth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

cabbles said:

Table before Riga's first game (includes fixtures 11/3/14 after Powell was sacked. Charlton drew 0-0 with Huddersfield on 12/3/14):

Riga's team had five games in hand in Doncaster, who went down with Yeovil and Barnsley (four each).

Ductapalape is also failing to take into account the remaining spirit of the core that was JJ, Morro, Hamer, Wilson, Church, Hughes etc. They were all still a unit with the additions of Adjarevic.

That spirit was key
    That's what he didn't understand and probably still doesn't.
    Driesen's lack of contact in the dressing room meant that didn't filter through to Roland
  • Options

My hate for the man grows by the day.

Duchatelet I would not piss on you if you were in fire...

was just about to post the same.
  • Options
    I've not heard the shows yet.
    Should I just wait for the last episode to out and gouge on the lot box set style?
  • Options

I've not heard the shows yet.
    Should I just wait for the last episode to out and gouge on the lot box set style?

Get stuck in now, next ones aren't out until the new year
  • Options
    edited December 2016

"on fire" not "in fire" FFS the grammar on here, really..........sighs. :smile:
  • Options
    As Duchatelet is defaming Chris Powell, would he sue?
  • Options

"on fire" not "in fire" FFS the grammar on here, really..........sighs. :smile:
    My deepest apologies. I can only blame my chubby thumbs and a crap phone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A guy on Reddit seems to have done a pretty good job of translating, makes even worse reading though... :neutral:

So you're mainly interested in the quotes right? Not the entire article?

“De e-mails zijn authentiek en werden dus door Powell gelekt. Powell stond op dat moment ongeveer laatste. Blijkbaar vindt hij het ongehoord dat de baas van een club die laatste staat goede raad geeft aan zijn coach.”
    "The emails are authentic, and so were leaked by Powell. Powell was practically in last place at that time. Apparently he thinks it's unheard of that the boss of a last-place club give his coach sound advice.

“Als je de mails leest, gaat het enkel om raad en valt er nergens een verplichting te bespeuren. We hebben uiteindelijk Powell vroegtijdig laten gaan. José Riga haalde daarna onmiddellijk met die zogenaamd slechte spelers van het netwerk een gemiddelde van 1,5 punt per match. Powell haalde voordien minder dan 1 punt per wedstrijd. Meer dan 50 procent beter dus met slechtere spelers.”
    "When you read the mails, you find they only contain advice and no trace of obligations. In the end we let Powell go early. After that, José Riga immediately took the presumably bad players [from the network] and averaged 1.5 points per match. Before that, Powell had less than 1. So that's an improvement of more than 50% with worse players"

“De club was gered. De normale fans vinden ook nu nog dat we dat toen goed gedaan hebben”,
    So the club was saved. The regular fans, even today, still think that we did a good job.

He said - "I'm not entirely sure about a few things, mainly because of context. Especially the thing about the network. I think he's talking about players that were ranked lowly by the press?" but actually think he got that part bang on.

The crazy old fool. And then with only the 'quality' players that they are bringing into the club now, we were relegated. Roland, if you are going to make silly assertions then you need the results to back them up.

Truth is, we will never know how we would have finished the season with Powell in charge and without you undermining him. What is a fact though is that under Powell's stewardship, we won the League One title with over 100 points and then finished ninth in the Championship the following year with little or no player budget. What is also fact is that when we did things your way we were relegated back to League One and played in front of the smallest crowds at The Valley in many years.

You can go cherry picking 'points per game' ratios at some random point in the season of your choosing all you like but on every important measure you are an utter failure.
    At the end of that particular season, it might have been a valid point that Riga did better with the same team. I don't agree with it, but the points-per-game stat is a pretty valid way of backing up that argument.

With the couple of seasons we've had in-between then and now - it's not at all valid. That's what irritates me about it, clinging to that semi-truth from a while ago to dismiss the horrendous situation we're in now.
    It was probably a valid point about Riga turning things around to a certain extent and, no matter how much we speculate, we will never know if Powell would have managed the same points tally. And at that point all fans, regular and irregular were happy with Jose, even to the point of singing his name, and everything looked good. But what happened then Roland you senile old twat? Oh yeah, you sacked him and brought in the mighty Bob "youth team" Peeters.
  • Options
    Remember we had about 4? Games in hand at that point. No wonder we were last.
  • Options
    I'd love to know what Sue, Daphne and the morris dancer make of these new revelations.
  • Options

Was that cos the pitch was knackered?
  • Options

The podcasts did not make me angry as I was expecting most of it. Duchatelet's latest comments, however - I am seething!! The translation of the emails above is spot-on. There is also a nonsense paragraph in the article that says in the first weeks after the takeover, Powell rarely answered Duchatelet's telephone calls and that explains why he was forced to write emails. What a load of ballcocks!!

Here is what Powell said about the relationship in the Trust interview in Feb 2015:

“Within a week, after my first meeting at the Valley, I knew I wouldn’t be there too long and I knew exactly what was going to happen in regards to people like Yann, Dale and a few others and what he was going to do. It wasn’t just what he was telling me. I had a press conference where he said I was a good coach. Well, I was arguing with him just an hour before – about Charlton – I was saying to him, you can’t do that, you cannot do what you are planning to do with this club. It’s not right, it’s not fair, let’s not string people along.”

Powell describes his first meeting with Duchâtelet, at which Tony Jiminez was also present. The omens were not good – Powell was ill the night before, and had to pull over on his way to The Valley to be physically sick. The Belgian businessman arrived with strong ideas about the playing squad, while Jiminez, keen to ensure the deal was quickly done and dusted, sided with the new man’s opinions rather than supporting his manager. “We had the nonsense with the goalkeepers. Ben Alnwick had come in and was outstanding with Ben Hamer being out. He (Roland) said Ben Hamer is not good, Ben Alnwick is not good. I’ve got a goalkeeper who’s better than both. I said, who is it, I need to know. Then it was always, oh he’s better, he’s this, he’s that. I said I need to choose who’s right, for this division and this league.”

Clearly there was intransigence on both sides of the table, but Powell is not at all bitter in what he is describing, just deeply disappointed at the gulf in football philosophy. He is a manager who takes full responsibility for putting together his own squad, yet he was faced with the complete opposite, “I’d be in my office and there’s a player turning up downstairs with his suitcase, saying he’s come to play. Who is it? It’s Loic Nego, it’s Anil Koç. I don’t even know who they are. ‘We’ve been told you need a winger’ – yeah, but I need a winger who’s used to the Championship, and you’ve got a young boy who’s played three games for Standard off the bench. I mean, that’s not for Charlton. Charlton deserve a player who’s going to improve them.” He was clearly very frustrated at the lack of understanding of the strengths of the existing squad, “He’d say you need a right back, I’d say we’ve got Chris Solly. If he’s better than Chris Solly, going to be some player! Nego came in, played against Wigan, clearly not suited. (Roland) said, well he can play left back. I said, well I’ve got Rhoys Wiggins, and Ceddy Evina who can fill in, fine you’re not going to have two top drawer – we’re not Chelsea or Man City, but you need players who are able to play at the level. I just knew that whenever there was a time that I didn’t play them, I was going to be in trouble.”

Powell explains how he tried hard to make the relationship work, "I was very open with them at the start – I said to Roland, I will come over and I will meet you, and you can tell me exactly what your plans are. I held my hand out, extended friendship to say welcome to South East London. I will tell you exactly what the Club’s about, what’s gone great, what hasn’t.” But Duchâtelet did not want Powell to go to Belgium. “I said to him re-sign Yann, it’s a no-brainer, he said ‘NO – I don’t think he’s good enough, we’ve got better strikers’ – and now, I know Charlton are looking for a physical striker. We had one – he didn’t want to leave. It was the same with Dale. I know this league - of course, I’m not going to get everything right, will get a few things wrong, which I did at Charlton, which I will here. But I know what it takes in this league. I think anyone in any walk of life if they’re doing a job and someone tells them they are doing it all wrong, when they have no experience of it, that’s pretty hard to take.”

Wow.

Unbelievable.

Roland has truly screwed with Charlton.

Complete wanker.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Valley11 said:

Was that cos the pitch was knackered?
    By the time we had 4 games in hand, it was also because of the Cup run.
  • Options

I'd love to know what Sue, Daphne and the morris dancer make of these new revelations.

Just like mire the liar they'll turn a blind eye