Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting To Know The Network (4 Part Radio Documentary) (31/1 Part 3, pg. 17)

Comments

• Options

Duchatelet explaining 4-4-2 to Chris Powell;

Surreal, Bizarre and Unique.

Tutt-Tutt Roland.

Still trying to remember if Butt & Scholes lined up in a midfield diamond when England played Spain in 2001 (and SCP made his England debut).

Have a feeling Sven didn't experiment with the diamond until the run up to the 2006 WC, when Lamps & Gerrard were the partnership in central midfield.
  • Options

Interview with RD in response to the emails. Can this be translated by anyone?

Google Translate doesn't really help, but the gist I'm getting is that RD claims Powell was never under any obligation, and that the emails were just providing advice. And then he goes on to talk about how Riga managed a higher average points per game that Chris Powell did, justifying the decision to sack Powell.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161130_02601441

Makes some comment about how the "normal" fans thinks decisions were right.
  • Options
    Listened to the first episode last night - really well put together.

I have a feeling that parts 3&4 may have to be reworked following the reaction from the first half.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Interview with RD in response to the emails. Can this be translated by anyone?

Google Translate doesn't really help, but the gist I'm getting is that RD claims Powell was never under any obligation, and that the emails were just providing advice. And then he goes on to talk about how Riga managed a higher average points per game that Chris Powell did, justifying the decision to sack Powell.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161130_02601441

Makes some comment about how the "normal" fans thinks decisions were right.
    Yer, I'm thinking that one might be lost in translation though. I don't want to start accusing him of things, and starting rumours without a fluent speaker translating it properly first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    LouisMend said:

Was going to save this for tonight's show but since RD has commented and accused Powell on record of leaking the emails, Jimmy tells us during our interview that it wasn't Powell who leaked them.

Defamation of character?

Yes definitely. I think he should publically apologise to Powell!

By the way - does even one Lifer believe that Thuram was better than our keepers at the time?
  • Options

I have asked people on /r/translate on reddit to provide a translation if they can.

If people show that it's a popular cause and upvote it may improve our chances of getting it translated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/comments/5fvuzv/dutchflemish_england_interview_with_charlton/

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20161130_02601441?utm_source=facebook
  • Options

I have asked people on /r/translate on reddit to provide a translation if they can.

If people show that it's a popular cause and upvote it may improve our chances of getting it translated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/translator/comments/5fvuzv/dutchflemish_england_interview_with_charlton/

Nice idea. If there's no responses before lunch then I'll ping it over to my Belgian mate, along with the Google Translate version, and see if he can spot on any major issues.

He's the one with the links to Standard Liege via his Sports Lawyer brother-in-law. He often asks about how things are going against Roland, and I'm sure his brother in law would be interested in the latest developments too. The BIL was very clued up about Charlton, able to rattle off attendances and transfer movements better than even I could to be entirely honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The more Duchatelet comes out with, the more obvious it is that he is an idiot. On what planet would any of his email have been useful to a junior coach, never mind someone with badges and three years' management experience? Is he so thick that he doesn't realise the "quality" players he sent were also left out by Riga?

What he will know, however, is that there are more emails . . .

I don't think he is an idiot or thick, but as nut job up his own arse with the blinkered arrogance of an unfettered entrepreneur!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I've skipped to part 2. It really emphasises the authority that Driesen had/has. Peeters called him "the boss" whilst Polish Pete sounds like he understands football better than Driesen.

How the **** can someone supposedly so successful and intelligent rely on the opinion of a no-mark teenager with literally no experience in the industry? I'm surprised we lasted as long in the Championship as we did.

It's seems counter-intuitive doesn't it?

I think though it's actually not.

We make decisions emotionally/on gut feel what we then do is look for the evidence/justification to back that up.

I think Roland has a gut feeling that football can be run better by pooling resources both in coaching, scouting and playing staffs and that will bring financial returns. What he has then done is surround himself with those who can back up/act upon his gut feeling.

Clearly he is someone who backs his own judgements - probably because he has done this in the past in business.

It reminds me of the Thomas Edison story. Edison was convinced that he could use electricity to make light. He set about experimenting to find a combination of filament/current/environmental conditions that would back his hunch. Edison did not stop after every failure, on the contrary, it spurred him on allowing him to learn from each negative result.

Many many combinations were tried and failed until eventually he found the perfect combination.

This is Duchatelet in a nutshell for me.

- he has a hunch about networking football for success on and off the pitch and is determined to make his hunch work

-he has surrounded himself with technicians to help make his hunch a reality. They are people who will try to make his ideas work. If there are failures they are not seen in the main as people to jettison. They continue to advise or are redeployed or reassigned.

- he continues to see failure as part of a process which ultimately will lead to a successful return.

Where does that leave us?

As a component part of an ongoing experiment which shows little sign of finding a formula for success any time soon. Even if he is ultimately successful in making a return on his investment, our club will unlikely to be more that a testing ground or network feeder club unless he sees us to be the top of the network pyramid.

It also tells me that the battle is far from over. That he is stubborn and will view the continuation of his experimental process as of greater importance than the money he is shipping out on a daily basis.

I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    Duchatelet has upped his game from disingenuous to mendacious.
  • Options
    CRACKING
  • Options

He certainly isn't the enemy. That some will be angry with him is natural in a situation like this. To me it doesn't matter what his views are - he is entitled to hold them. I wouldn't want his position to be compromised. But his wife and son are not doing him any favours. That is just a fact!

Don't disagree with wife, not seen son, so cant comment. Going after Chris is a distraction from the real issues. And once we see the back of the regime we need to be bringing the family back together not seeking reprisals and recriminations.