Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester v Charlton | Tue 08 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predict, News, Views & MATCH THREAD

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:

If we win this, will we go through or does that depend on results elsewhere?

We need to win and Southampton need to draw or lose I think?
    Southampton can draw but they have to lose on penalties... If they draw and win on pens then they'll automatically go four points ahead of us, if Southampton DO draw but lose on pens then I guess we have to rely on a four goal swing in terms of Goal Difference

Southampton are on +1 we're on -2
    What a great competition
    Its almost an incentive for teams to hold on for a draw and potentially get an extra point by winning on pens

Absolute joke, imagine how bad the Euros would have been had that been the case this summer
  • I'm feeding the fish so I can't make it..

As long as we come out unscathed that's the most important thing. A win would be nice for momentum, just as long as Southampton do the business so we don't have to qualify for this silly competition. Our small squad can do without the unnecessary distraction.

P.S, I don't even have fish.
  • Absolute nonsense competition. We should refuse to enter next season, what is the point.
  • Surely this is the one and only season of this competition.
  • Nailed on that Teixeira will give away a penalty. I expect him to go full Mikel Alonso tonight.

Other than that, I hope Phillips has a decent game and some other youngsters get a good run out. Colchester is about the level of opposition they should be looking to perform well against if they're going to kick on so it's a good test for them. Beyond that, couldn't give a single one.

I take it you mean that you hope this'll be the only season that the Trophy is played in this format?

The Football League Trophy after all has been in existence since 1983 (Started out as the Full Members Cup before becoming the Trophy in 1992)
  • edited November 2016
    Redrobo said:

I am washing my hair!

Damn.

Show off.
    Not really, a 60 degree wash and two spin cycles take 3 hours, otherwise I would of gone... honest injun!

I take it you mean that you hope this'll be the only season that the Trophy is played in this format?

The Football League Trophy after all has been in existence since 1983 (Started out as the Full Members Cup before becoming the Trophy in 1992)
    I did indeed - in its present format.

Seeing that a League Two and Academy side have overcome a League One team in our Group

NO CHANCE!!

Seeing that a League Two and Academy side have overcome a League One team in our Group

NO CHANCE!!
    We can but hope!
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't you just love it when the games come thick and fast.
  • edited November 2016

Surely this is the one and only season of this competition.

The Full Members' Cup (which we reached the final of in 1987), later the Simod Cup, was a different competition and didn't involve teams in the bottom two divisions. Prior to 1992, only teams in the top two divisions were considered "full members" with corresponding voting rights - the third and fourth tier were associate members for voting purposes.
  • From the OS

• If Charlton win inside 90 minutes tonight and Southampton lose inside 90 minutes tomorrow, we will progress to the next round.
    • If Charlton win by three goals or more inside 90 minutes tonight and Southampton draw tomorrow and then lose on penalties, we will progress to the next round.
    • If Charlton win tonight inside 90 minutes and Southampton draw tomorrow and then win on penalties, we will be eliminated.
    • If Charlton draw tonight, win on penalties and then Southampton lose by three or more goals inside 90 minutes tomorrow, we will progress to the next round.
    • If Charlton lose tonight, we will be eliminated.
    • If Southampton win inside 90 minutes tomorrow, we will be eliminated.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-checkatrade-trophy-preview-3405863.aspx#KA2DWSoOAqq3D2dR.99
  • Why arent the two games being played at the same time / same night.

Surely this gives Southampton an advantage as they'll know a whole 24-hours ahead of their match what they need to do?

Surely this gives Southampton an advantage as they'll know a whole 24-hours ahead of their match what they need to do?

Maybe they'll crumple under the pressure of knowing that if they draw, they'll have to win a penalty shootout to progress...
  • Should start Aribo and Hanlan. Minimum.

Agree.

Don't we learn more about these player in games like this even thou the result to the fans doesn't appear to be important ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Pay the fine and play

Phillips
    Charles-Cook Teixeira Lennon Chicksen
    Aribo Jackson Dijksteel
    Hanlan Ajose Ahearne-Grant

Or some such side.

When we win promotion this season we won't have to play in it again: )

I'm glad you can see Slade is leading an upturn in our fortunes.

I'm glad you can see Slade is leading an upturn in our fortunes.
    Evening gazza

Fat russ has never seen Jackson and foley spelt like that before

But nobody cares...
    Speak for yourself!! I have it on good authority that Roland has his armchair ready, his tv ready and his phone nearby incase he needs to speak to 'Big Russ!'.................don't forget our much 'loved' owner NEVER misses a game!!!
  • So excited by this match and this trophy as well!!! Lets just hope we get no injuries and only draw. 2-2 and no more miserable matches in this stupid competition.
  • I have no idea how that team works
  • Phillips
    Konsa Johnson Teixeira Lennon Chicksen
    Foley Crofts Aribo
    Ajose Hanlan

In a 532?