Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colchester v Charlton | Tue 08 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predict, News, Views & MATCH THREAD

Colchester United v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 8th November 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Trophy Group Stage – Game Three

Introduction

The Addicks last played a League game only a week ago yet after the last week we’ve had its felt a lifetime ago. That’s because over the last week, three different Charlton squads have played in three different cup competitions and surprisingly (given our cup records) three positive results.

It all began on Tuesday night, our U18s facing Maidstone United in the FA Youth Cup, despite the gulf in class between the youth teams; we needed penalties and a young Australian to see us safely through, the very next night our U23s began their Kent Senior Cup campaign, aiming to go one better after losing in the Final last year, a 3-1 victory over Phoenix Sports saw them into the next round and another Charlton side were through to the next round… So that leaves two cup competitions, both jobs for the senior squad. On Saturday the hardest match was seemingly won with ease, the League One leaders: Scunthorpe United, brushed aside as the Addicks marched on in the FA Cup.

So that leaves one competition left to advance in… It’s the one all fans across the country care less about and its one that the Addicks will possibly exit despite a win, that’s because if Southampton manage any kind of result in their fixture against Crawley it’s likely to be curtains in the Football League Trophy.

The Opposition
Name: Colchester United | Manager: John McGreal
Ground: Colchester Community Stadium

When fans gathered round the TV to watch the eagerly anticipated draw for the Football League Trophy there was no doubt a shudder from the Valley Boardroom when we were drawn with Colchester United. After all this will be our second trip to the North of Essex in 2016, once again it’ll be a cup competition; once again the Addicks will be in a league higher than their opposition and once again there will no doubt be a laundry van at the ready.

Since their 2-1 victory and subsequent relegation to League Two though it’s not been great for the U’s, just four victories have been produced for John McGreal and his side with Colchester sitting in 18th place and just two points above the relegation zone, they’re out of the FA Cup after a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Chesterfield whilst no victory against Charlton on Tuesday night will see them qualify for the next round of the Football League Trophy after a 1-0 defeat away at Crawley and a 2-1 defeat at home to Southampton.

Charlton Team News
Oh the irony, Trophy rules state that squads must field a strong first team yet this Saturday the Addicks will be unable to play half their senior squad due to International call-ups on a weekend where we’re shown Live on Sky… Following our victory against Scunthorpe though, Russell Slade confirmed many of the players likely to be involved at some stage tomorrow evening:

Notably Jorge Teixeira will make his return to the First-Team having played for the U23s last Wednesday night whilst Dillon Phillips has also been confirmed as a starter in goal… Also mentioned are the likes of Brandon Hanlan and Joe Aribo who are likely to get at least a place on the bench.

Phillips
Foley | Teixeira | Lennon | Chicksen
Aribo | Crofts | Ulvestad | Jackson
Hanlan | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Rudd | Johnson | Konsa | Novak | Kennedy | Charles-Cook | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Throughout the whole competition to date it appears as though Slade has seen this competition more as a distraction rather than a chance to reach Wembley, because of this I see a draw at best allowing the Addicks to exit the competition (regardless of results else) so we can concentrate on more serious matters.

Comments

• hopefully play as many young/need match time players as we can, and draw the match as mentioned a comp that we could do without.
  • 2-1 victory leading to wild celebration due to us qualifying.
  • 4-1 to the Addicks as Ajose finds the goal with a simple tap in and then hits two more for fun.
  • Cant see anything other than a draw 1-1. I will be unable to do the match thread due to work commitments, so someone else can have the dubious pleasure of the thread for this game.
  • edited November 2016
    I've never wanted us to lose a game before today. Pointless comp we could do without. However would prefer a draw as long as we lose on penalties. 0-0, 4-2 To Col U on pens
  • Good preview @ForeverAddickted - just think, more people are going to read your preview about tomorrow's game than are going to attend tomorrow's game.

It’s the one all fans across the country care less about and its one that the Addicks will possibly exit despite a win, that’s because if Southampton manage any kind of result in their fixture against Crawley it’s likely to be curtains in the Football League Trophy.

For anyone wanting a more detailed explanation of the qualification permutations for tomorrow night, or just looking for a way to completely waste 10 minutes of their life, Seb Lewis has posted a 2,000 word briefing on Facebook.

Anyway, this tournament is obviously a complete waste of time, I don't know or care what the score will be, to the point where I would close the curtains if this match was being played in my back garden. Most important question - who's going (apart from Seb)? Impressive badge of honour to be able to say you went to this one.
  • literally
    couldn't
    give
    a
    shit
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016

literally
    couldn't
    give
    a
    shit

Arrowroot biscuits used to be bad back in the day mate, plenty of fruit :wink: .
  • Working in Chelmsford tomorrow so the possibility of doubling the Charlton numbers but I think I'll swerve

1-1

Att 716 (Away 1)

Seb!

• If we win this, will we go through or does that depend on results elsewhere?
  • If we win this, will we go through or does that depend on results elsewhere?

We need to win and Southampton need to draw or lose I think?
  • edited November 2016
    CAFCTrev said:

If we win this, will we go through or does that depend on results elsewhere?

Southampton can draw but they have to lose on penalties... If they draw and win on pens then they'll automatically go four points ahead of us, if Southampton DO draw but lose on pens then I guess we have to rely on a four goal swing in terms of Goal Difference

Southampton are on +1 we're on -2
  • Charlton to edge this 3-0.
  • Big russ avoids the laundry and sends home the huge away support delirious, 0-2.
  • From boredom and frustration to anger and indignation and now just a numb disinterest.

What a roller.coaster ride it's been under Ms Nightmeire.
  • Big russ avoids the laundry and sends home the huge away supporter delirious, 0-2.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    3-5 away win.
  • The most pointless game. Really do not want us to go through, will be a distraction we do not need. 1-1.
  • I am washing my hair!

Damn.
  • Clinton to win 60/40 over trump
  • Again I have a dump booked in for that time so I can't make it..
  • Want us to win and we will 1-3
  • I want there to be no injuries.
  • This will be ding dong with all the glory of the cup to play for. On a night where tension will run high, I firmly predict anything could happen.
  • I am washing my hair!

Damn.

Show off.
  • CAFCTrev said:

If we win this, will we go through or does that depend on results elsewhere?

Southampton can draw but they have to lose on penalties... If they draw and win on pens then they'll automatically go four points ahead of us, if Southampton DO draw but lose on pens then I guess we have to rely on a four goal swing in terms of Goal Difference

Southampton are on +1 we're on -2
    What a great competition