Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Options

Leuth said:

Literally everyone except GB and his mum and maybe a couple of the selectors wants Hameed to play the Second Test, maybe Duckett at 3 (where I reckon he'll end up anyway)

I think Duckett will end up at 3 but would have him at 4 for now with Hameed opening and leaving Root a 3. That way, if Cook goes early we don't have both Hameed and Duckett facing the new ball.
    No, Root is the best batsman in the team, and you bat him where he wants - I presume at 3. I'd like to see:

Cook
    Hameed
    Root
    Duckett
    Moeen
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Broad
    Batty

Certainly in the next test/subcontinent as a "template", anyway. I'd also want to see this or similar at home:

Cook
    Hameed
    Root
    Duckett
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

(Moeen's movements being because he's good against spin)
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Leuth said:

Literally everyone except GB and his mum and maybe a couple of the selectors wants Hameed to play the Second Test, maybe Duckett at 3 (where I reckon he'll end up anyway)

I think Duckett will end up at 3 but would have him at 4 for now with Hameed opening and leaving Root a 3. That way, if Cook goes early we don't have both Hameed and Duckett facing the new ball.
    No, Root is the best batsman in the team, and you bat him where he wants - I presume at 3. I'd like to see:

Cook
    Hameed
    Root
    Duckett
    Moeen
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Broad
    Batty

Certainly in the next test/subcontinent as a "template", anyway. I'd also want to see this or similar at home:

Cook
    Hameed
    Root
    Duckett
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

(Moeen's movements being because he's good against spin)
    Root, for a long time, has resisted batting at 3 so it's no certainty that he won't want to bat at 4. As I say I would keep him at 3 if only to keep Duckett and Hameed apart early doors.
  • Options
    For those interested. highlights are on ITV4 at 7pm
  • Options
    I would like to point out to all, including the England selectors, that Batty should bat above broad. Broad has not been the same since he was hit in the face and while he has improved since his very worst he really isn't much use. Batty on the other hand has plenty of first class hundreds (one this year) and regularly chips in with 30s/40s. He is a tough old character and wouldn't let something like being hit in the face put him off.
  • Options

I would like to point out to all, including the England selectors, that Batty should bat above broad. Broad has not been the same since he was hit in the face and while he has improved since his very worst he really isn't much use. Batty on the other hand has plenty of first class hundreds (one this year) and regularly chips in with 30s/40s. He is a tough old character and wouldn't let something like being hit in the face put him off.

Do you think Bowly should bowl and Fieldy should field too?
    :smiley:
    Not sure about that. I'd have Catchy at wicket keeper though.
  • Options

For those interested. highlights are on ITV4 at 7pm

Thanks. A late deal as the planned ITV4 schedule doesn't mention them!
  • Options
    I can't wait to see batts bowl in these conditions. Playing the best cricket of his life picked entirely on merit. And what a man!

I have a small wager that he will be top wicket taketh for us in the series. I expect there will be a few people wondering why we bothered with Moeen for so much of the last few years.

Oh and he's been given a benefit year at Surrey this year. Thoroughly deserved!
  • Options
    It's actually a really nice bowling balance that England have out there, six bowlers - three seamers, two offies and a leggie.

You could argue that it would be nice to have Mark Wood in place of either Broad or Woakes, as he is much of a 90 MPH strike pace bowler, than a nagging seamer, but obviously he is injured.

As for Batty, I have always said that the best team should be picked, regardless of age or experience - if Hameed is the best opener, then he should play at 18, and if Batty is the best off spinner, then he should play at 38.
  • Options

I can't wait to see batts bowl in these conditions. Playing the best cricket of his life picked entirely on merit. And what a man!

I have a small wager that he will be top wicket taketh for us in the series. I expect there will be a few people wondering why we bothered with Moeen for so much of the last few years.

We've already seen why in this match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fifth time Gareth Batty has opened the bowling in first-class cricket. He does it every three years, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013.

From TMS
  • Options

Ha, Sod's law!!! Ali currently 2 wickets from 5 balls after top scoring with the bat
  • Options
    I don't know why Moeen gets so much stick, two wickets and top scorer with the bat. He is a very useful cricketer. Get rid of Ballance, it is like playing with ten men having him in the side. Give Hameed a chance in the second Test.
  • Options
    I do want us to give Hameed a chance, but Cook would need to be more aggressive or we would be in danger of getting bogged down when the ball is at its best.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I do want us to give Hameed a chance, but Cook would need to be more aggressive or we would be in danger of getting bogged down when the ball is at its best.

Even more reason why you can't have Cook, Hameed and Ballance in the top four.

The ECB released some footage his week of Hameed in the nets. It looks very good all the time he is using the pace of the ball or driving. However, the very last ball tells us all we need to know as to why he has never played for his county a one day or T20 game - it is a full bunger, Hameed loses his shape and toe ends the ball. If you look carefully you will see him throw his head back after the shot as if he's saying to himself "that was rubbish".

Hameed is an absolute enigma. Here is a lad who has grown up in the T20 generation. County coaches have for the last few years been impressing on their age group players the need to be able to hit the ball. And yet it is clear that he can't. But he can occupy the crease and as long as we have batsmen scoring at the other end and he doesn't allow scoreboard pressure to get the better of him I'm sure he will be fine. He does have the technique to face top quality bowling unlike three or four of the batsmen we've utilised in the last few years.

https://ecb.co.uk/tv/123529
  • Options
    Umpire Dharmesena is having a mare. That's at least four times in the game he's given a batsman out only for it to be overturned.
  • Options
    And then Rashid bowls one of his "beauties" to get Mahmudullah caught by Root at slip for 38.

119-3 at tea

• Options
    Leuth said:

We've already seen why in this match.
    I'm all for picking him as an alrounder/ second spinner. Just don't think he is a good enough bowler to be only spinner as he has been for a fee years.
  • Options

Do you think Bowly should bowl and Fieldy should field too?
    :smiley:
    Not sure about that. I'd have Catchy at wicket keeper though.
    Catchy's too tall for a keeper We need to give stumpy a run.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

Canters - did you get my PM taking you up on that offer?
  • Options

Nope just checked not got any inbox....
  • Options

I must have forgotten to press "send" :-)

Too late now anyway - Batty probably won't even be playing in the next Test!
  • Options

I'm still believing. Wait till the 4th day of this pitch.

I just want to see that trademark double fist punch celebration in England colours.
  • Options
    Rashy's turning it too much now!
  • Options

I'm still believing. Wait till the 4th day of this pitch.

I just want to see that trademark double fist punch celebration in England colours.
    Difficult to do that though when you're carrying the drinks.
  • Options
    Batty you beauty - never doubted the man.

Tamim LBW for 78

163-4
  • Options
    Joe Root on now - I'm trying to work out when was the last time we bowled four spinners in an innings. Patel, Ali, Rashid and Root all played together in Dubai against Pakistan but Root didn't bowl in that game.
  • Options

Batty you beauty - never doubted the man.

Tamim LBW for 78

163-4

I love him! Yes that man! What an absolute legend. Man love levels have never been higher!
  • Options
    Stokes takes the first non spinning wicket of the match - Bairstow makes the catch look a lot harder than it was.

221-5