Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Options

CHG said:

He retired hurt to let somebody else have a knock. He must be favourite to bat in the top 5?

Hope he plays ahead of Ballance
    Agreed
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited October 2016
    Not the best start. Win the toss, ball turning square, 35-3. Duckett opened, scored 14. Ballance scored 1, how many more chances? Cook the other bat out for 4.

England can regroup I guess, not like we haven't been 30-3 before....
  • Options
    Root (37) and Ali (13) have taken the score from 21-3 to 77 without further loss.
  • Options
    Ali given out LBW but reviewed immediately.
  • Options
    Fortunately Ali got a very feint tickle on it do not out.
  • Options
    81-3 at lunch

Root 38* (47)
    Ali 17* (53)
  • Options
    Root goes for 40 soon after the resumption. Caught by slip off the keeper's gloves.

83-4

The fact that Bangladesh bowled the 2nd over of the match with a spinner (18 year old at that) tells us all we need to know about the wicket - he now has figures of 11-2-16-3
  • Options
    Stokes bowled for 18 (33) with a peach of a ball from Shaqib

106-5

Ali hanging on in there with 22* off 93
  • Options
    Tough conditions out there, but the lack of warm up games surely isn't helping.
  • Options
    Ali given not out LBW. Bangla review and it is confirmed that the ball pitched outside leg so they have used up both their reviews - for another 30 or so overs at least.

128-5

Ali 29* (110)
    Bairstow 13* (24)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bairstow dropped at slip.
  • Options
    Sounds like the pitch is a minefield
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

It's like batting out of the rough of the 5th day of a normal Test.

Ali has had five reviews and they have all gone his way.
  • Options
    154-5

Ali has his 50
  • Options

McBobbin said:

It's like batting out of the rough of the 5th day of a normal Test.

Ali has had five reviews and they have all gone his way.
    A triumph for the review system really, rather than luck for the batsman!
  • Options
    173-5 off 62 at tea

Ali 61* (153)
    Bairstow 26* (68)
  • Options
    There were 34 overs in that two hour session. Don't see that very often these days but, there again, 90% of the bowling has been spin.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I've recorded this and been watching it behind real time.

As said, right from the start, it's like batting on a day 5 wicket.

200 is likely to set us up as a winning score if both teams play to their normal standard.

250 is definitely a good score.

So I backed England to win at 9am.

It's possibly easier for our right hand batsman, not sure if it will be the same for Bangladesh & how many right handers they have.

(That'll put the mockers on it).
  • Options
    194-6

Ali c Mushfiqur b Mehedi 68
  • Options
    Mehdi getsAli, his 4th wicket, caught behind for a very good 68.

194-6

Bairstow 38*

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great ball, that.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Bairstow's ability to come in and steer England away from danger, reminds me a bit of Doug Walters for the Aussies, when I was a kid. If we ever had them in trouble, he was often hard to dislodge.

209-6 Bairstow 43 no
  • Options
    Ballance, why do we keep on picking him?
  • Options
    Bairstow gets his 50

235-6
  • Options
    And then the"kiss of death" strikes as he is bowled trying to work one to leg.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Ballance, why do we keep on picking him?

Because he built up a lot of "goodwill" not to say a Test average of over 70 against some impotent attacks - mostly in this country. I said at that time that his technique wasn't good enough and that he would get "worked out" and he has been.

Just a question as to whether (and assuming he doesn't get a score in the 2nd innings) they drop him for the 2nd Test. I suspect they won't but that will only prolong the agony.
  • Options
    Bangla waste the first of their two new ball reviews.

239-7

Mehedi, on his Test debut and still 18, has the remarkable figures of 30-5-60-5
  • Options
    Literally everyone except GB and his mum and maybe a couple of the selectors wants Hameed to play the Second Test, maybe Duckett at 3 (where I reckon he'll end up anyway)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Literally everyone except GB and his mum and maybe a couple of the selectors wants Hameed to play the Second Test, maybe Duckett at 3 (where I reckon he'll end up anyway)

I think Duckett will end up at 3 but would have him at 4 for now with Hameed opening and leaving Root a 3. That way, if Cook goes early we don't have both Hameed and Duckett facing the new ball.
  • Options
    258-7 off 92 overs at close

Woakes 36* (77)
    Rashid 5* (28)

Despite the relatively low score we should, providing our spinners perform, be well ahead in the game.