Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Options
    It was a legcutter, so sort of a spinning wicket :P
  • Options
    221-5 st close so Bangladesh are just 72 behind but in front in the match at the moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well, it was either easier batting today or we didn't bowl as well as Bangladesh.

Batty seemed to be bowling too slow from the off and I'm surprised it took him/Cook nearly all day to realise.

He finally upped the speed & got a wicket quite quickly. We bowled ok but not as well as Bangladesh I feel.

Moeen Ali was the most dangerous.

We were always going to struggle after I backed us.

I still fancy us to win, but it might be close.
  • Options

Joe Root on now - I'm trying to work out when was the last time we bowled four spinners in an innings. Patel, Ali, Rashid and Root all played together in Dubai against Pakistan but Root didn't bowl in that game.

Didn't stokes bowl the odd over of spin last winter. Would that count?
  • Options

Joe Root on now - I'm trying to work out when was the last time we bowled four spinners in an innings. Patel, Ali, Rashid and Root all played together in Dubai against Pakistan but Root didn't bowl in that game.

Didn't stokes bowl the odd over of spin last winter. Would that count?
    That is a possibility.
  • Options
    India have now agreed to use DRS for the forthcoming Test series - the cynic in me says that they've been on the wrong side of umpiring decisions recently which is why they have relented at last.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Maybe they've gotten over their fucking ludicrous hissy fit (marginal decisions don't go our way waaah) - maybe the (intelligently) altered lbw umpire's call parameters have helped.
  • Options

India have now agreed to use DRS for the forthcoming Test series - the cynic in me says that they've been on the wrong side of umpiring decisions recently which is why they have relented at last.

Wow - now that is a turnaround.
  • Options
    One of the joys of my life was Indian batsmen getting out to howlers. That has now been denied.
  • Options
    Can we stop talking about India and get back to Gareth Batty!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can we stop talking about India and get back to Gareth Batty!!!!

He got the danger man out tbf
  • Options
    Great morning so far, 4 wickets, lead of 45. Stokes current spell, 9 overs, 3-10.
  • Options
    Make that 4!!!! All out, lead of 45 could be huge.
  • Options
    And in reply we are doing ever so well at 46-4 so, effectively, 91-4.
  • Options
    62-5

Ali goes and I believe is the third victim in this innings to do so playing the sweep - a shot that is hard to play successfully when the ball is turning and bouncing as much as it is here.
  • Options
    We are now 107 ahead. I can't help thinking that there will come a point where Stokes/Bairstow/Woakes will try and hit their into a meaningful lead of 200 plus because, at the moment, it is a slow death.
  • Options

We are now 107 ahead. I can't help thinking that there will come a point where Stokes/Bairstow/Woakes will try and hit their into a meaningful lead of 200 plus because, at the moment, it is a slow death.

Yes, was thinking the same, maybe time for a counter-attack now - get 180 lead smacking them about a bit or 150 by slow death (if we're lucky)
  • Options
    Why do we have a Yarpie commentating ? Who is it?
  • Options

Yes, was thinking the same, maybe time for a counter-attack now - get 180 lead smacking them about a bit or 150 by slow death (if we're lucky)
    I know i want them to counter-attack, but that doesnt mean reverse-sweeps ! - such a risky shot, batsmen talk about percentage shots, but that surely has to be the most risky of all.
  • Options
    ball starting to keep low too now - 2 of the last three have scraped along the ground, the latter hitting the helmet behind the wicket thus giving away 5 penalty runs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another failure for Ballance.
  • Options
    Anybody would think you don't like Ballance, Dick.
  • Options
    It seems that the ball turns and bounces most when new, and that the seamers are most dangerous with the old ball when it reverse swings, so you need to bowl your bowlers the wrong way round!
  • Options
    It is unreal how far we have come as a team but, more so, with the ability of our middle and lower order to dig us out of trouble. We all remember the days of 120-5 to 140 all out.

Now, when we are five down, there is an expectation that we will get runs each and every time we have lost half our wickets. Of course the likes of Stokes, Ali and Bairstow have put us in that position.

Bairstow has to be the one that takes the most praise. When he first came into the side I have to say that I had my doubts whether he would make it. But he went away after being dropped and worked at his game. And this year he became the first batsman to score over a thousand runs in a year batting at 6 or lower.

Ballance would do well to talk to his Yorkshire team mate. I suspect, though, that whilst Bairstow had to tweak his technique and also work on his temperament in pressure situations, that Ballance needs a lot more than that - he's already gone away once to do so and it may just be to big an ask for him to overhaul his obvious deficiencies.
  • Options
    Stokes reaches is 50 with a 6

131-5 and a lead of 176

Stokes 52* (102)
    Bairstow 21* (51)

Our game to lose now
  • Options

It seems that the ball turns and bounces most when new, and that the seamers are most dangerous with the old ball when it reverse swings, so you need to bowl your bowlers the wrong way round!

I think that's very fair comment. Whether Broad's ego (and his influence on Cook) will allow us to have two spinners open the bowling is another thing altogether.
  • Options
    I think one or two counties will be looking at Mehedi especially in the shorter form of the game. He is a few days short of his 19th birthday and to think that most spinners don't fully mature 'til they get to late 20s/early 30s and it is fair to say he has a long future in the game. And he has a first class average of over 40 with the bat having captained the Bangladesh U19s.
  • Options
    I'm assuming Fizz is injured?
  • Options

It is unreal how far we have come as a team but, more so, with the ability of our middle and lower order to dig us out of trouble. We all remember the days of 120-5 to 140 all out.

Now, when we are five down, there is an expectation that we will get runs each and every time we have lost half our wickets. Of course the likes of Stokes, Ali and Bairstow have put us in that position.

Bairstow has to be the one that takes the most praise. When he first came into the side I have to say that I had my doubts whether he would make it. But he went away after being dropped and worked at his game. And this year he became the first batsman to score over a thousand runs in a year batting at 6 or lower.

Ballance would do well to talk to his Yorkshire team mate. I suspect, though, that whilst Bairstow had to tweak his technique and also work on his temperament in pressure situations, that Ballance needs a lot more than that - he's already gone away once to do so and it may just be to big an ask for him to overhaul his obvious deficiencies.

The sad thing is that by all accounts, Ballance didn't try to work on his weak areas, he 'trusted his technique' etc which is fine in coubty cricket but has led to more of the same performances at Test level that got him dropped the first time.
  • Options
    Great partnership by these two, we need a team of gingers :smile: