Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Sounds like Chris Wilder is going to go back to Sheff Utd to replace Heckingbottom.

Seems a weird one to go back to a manager they decided wasn't good enough for the PL, and who failed at his next two jobs, but there we are.

One eye on the Championship next season I guess and he got the club promoted twice before.
  • Options
    Sounds like Chris Wilder is going to go back to Sheff Utd to replace Heckinbotham.

Seems a weird one to go back to a manager they decided wasn't good enough for the PL, and who failed at his next two jobs, but there we are.

One eye on the Championship next season I guess and he got the club promoted twice before.
    surprised they haven't begged Warnock to go back
  • Options
    Whether it's right or not, not a surprise that the dismal defeat against a relegation rival proved terminal for Heckingbottom.
  • Options
    Michael Duff sacked by Swansea.

Thought he did well at Barnsley and very well at Cheltenham.

Seemed to create well drilled and effective teams.
  • Options
    A slightly surprising appointment, as Swansea have previously been a possession and passing team, which wasn't so much his style at Cheltenham and Barnsley.
  • Options
    Mowbray out on his ear at Sunderland
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He can spend more time with Judy and his string of sausages now . Shame 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Wow. Carnage today
  • Options
    The Championship is such a fucking stupid league. Wish we were in it, obv, but it's so dumb
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The Championship is such a fucking stupid league. Wish we were in it, obv, but it's so dumb
    Certainly is. That's 10 changes so far this season in the Championship and 25 all told in the last 12 months:

Birmingham - 1
    Blackpool - 2
    Bristol City - 1
    Cardiff - 2
    Huddersfield - 2
    Leeds - 1
    Leicester - 1
    Millwall - 1
    Norwich - 1
    QPR - 2
    Reading - 1
    Rotherham - 1
    Sheffield Wednesday - 2
    Southampton - 1
    Sunderland - 1
    Swansea - 2
    Watford - 2
    Wigan - 1 

The only clubs that have been in the Championship since last December and that still have the same Manager in situ are:

Blackburn
    Coventry
    Hull
    Middlesbrough
    Preston
    Stoke
    WBA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the other hand the Premier League getting into December before the first sacking is very rare. 

There were 5 managers gone by the November international break last season. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Certainly is. That's 10 changes so far this season in the Championship and 25 all told in the last 12 months:

Birmingham - 1
    Blackpool - 2
    Bristol City - 1
    Cardiff - 2
    Huddersfield - 2
    Leeds - 1
    Leicester - 1
    Millwall - 1
    Norwich - 1
    QPR - 2
    Reading - 1
    Rotherham - 1
    Sheffield Wednesday - 2
    Southampton - 1
    Sunderland - 1
    Swansea - 2
    Watford - 2
    Wigan - 1 

The only clubs that have been in the Championship since last December and that still have the same Manager in situ are:

Blackburn
    Coventry
    Hull
    Middlesbrough
    Preston
    Stoke
    WBA
    This is such a depressing post. It’s as much fan led and demanded as it is anything else. I just don’t understand what fans/owners think they’re expecting from the managers. Mowbray had done an outstanding job at Sunderland and he lost a couple of games and he’s ridiculously sacked. 

Michael Duff has proved in his last two jobs that he’s a brilliant manager, but is sacked within six months and one window where he wasn’t backed because he hasn’t been able to change the ethos of a club that’s been engrained for 20 years of tika-taka possession based football.

Even Heckingbottom is a silly one if you’re future planning, but it does sound like that one may have gone a bit sour.

You spent this time picking your ‘perfect’ manager’. Give them time to see if they can do what you want of them!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Leuth said:

Birmingham - 1
    Blackpool - 2
    Bristol City - 1
    Cardiff - 2
    Huddersfield - 2
    Leeds - 1
    Leicester - 1
    Millwall - 1
    Norwich - 1
    QPR - 2
    Reading - 1
    Rotherham - 1
    Sheffield Wednesday - 2
    Southampton - 1
    Sunderland - 1
    Swansea - 2
    Watford - 2
    Wigan - 1 

Blackburn
    Coventry
    Hull
    Middlesbrough
    Preston
    Stoke
    WBA
    This is such a depressing post. It’s as much fan led and demanded as it is anything else. I just don’t understand what fans/owners think they’re expecting from the managers. Mowbray had done an outstanding job at Sunderland and he lost a couple of games and he’s ridiculously sacked. 

Michael Duff has proved in his last two jobs that he’s a brilliant manager, but is sacked within six months and one window where he wasn’t backed because he hasn’t been able to change the ethos of a club that’s been engrained for 20 years of tika-taka possession based football.

Even Heckingbottom is a silly one if you’re future planning, but it does sound like that one may have gone a bit sour.

You spent this time picking your ‘perfect’ manager’. Give them time to see if they can do what you want of them!
    The Mowbray one is baffling. I don't think there was any demand from the supporters for him to go.

Sheffield United have a rubbish team, way short of Premier League quality. Nobody would keep them up.

Duff to me was an odd appointment. When a club has a clear identity playing a style of football, and has had decent success playing it, why go for someone who doesn't play that way, when there are loads of young coaches out there who play that style of possession football. Dare I say that Millwall and Swansea should have a manager swap, as Edwards seems more of a Swansea manager and Duff, who plays more pragmatic football, seems more of a Millwall manager.
  • Options
    some club's directors clearing out 'inefficient' or 'failing' managers to prevent them wasting their money and hoping that a newcomer will bring in an abundance of cheap new player talent with their money during the January window .. fingers crossed on that one
  • Options
    Michael Duff sacked by Swansea.

Thought he did well at Barnsley and very well at Cheltenham.

Seemed to create well drilled and effective teams.
    I really rate Duff, one of the most impressive performances of another team vs us in recent years was his Cheltenham team in the 21/22 season. We got absolutely schooled. Was an Adkins side but still, they looked quality that day.
  • Options
    Millwall seem to be the benchmark if you don't beat them your gone ha
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Millwall seem to be the benchmark if you don't beat them your gone ha.
    Used to be said about us back in the day. Many a manager sacked when they couldn't beat little ol' Charlton.

Didn't Keegan leave Newcastle after they only drew with us in the Cup, and then "King" Kenny took over. 
  • Options
    Sheffield United have sacked Paul Heckingbottom and appointed former manager Chris Wilder as his replacement, the club’s owner Prince Abdullah has confirmed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cv2z8zrr4p1o
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Paul Heckingbottom did so well last season to get them promoted but when your best 4 players from last season weren't there at the beginning of this Premier season you have no chance.

No shit Sherlock:  but you really do need to strengthen your team not weakened it when you join the elite Premier League.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KaBLc1OIM

Thanks for everything Paul Heckingbottom.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXl80lKZ_4

Chris Wilder Returns as Sheffield United Manager

• Options
    Chris Wilder should have come to us instead
  • Options
    Wilder gone further down in my estimation.
    Hope they crash and burn.
  • Options
    In 2021 Chris Wilder was sacked by Sheffield United with them bottom of the Premier league.

He then went to Middlesbrough (sacked within a year) followed by Watford (left after 11 games).

In 2023 Chris Wilder was appointed by Sheffield United with them bottom of the Premier league.
  • Options

In defence of Chris Wilder: He is out of work and he is a Sheffield United fan. Why after a successful spell his career is on the slide is due to many reasons. 

You didn't see too many overlapping CB until he was at United the 1st time around.
    You can go from innovation to stagnation at the drop of an old hat when other coaches find ways of exploting the CB out of position. You see this with wing backs at the wrong end of the pitch when the ball is lost in transition.

Bizarrely there won't be much pressure on Wilder because everyone even Sheffield United fans expect them to drop.
  • Options

In defence of Chris Wilder: He is out of work and he is a Sheffield United fan. Why after a successful spell his career is on the slide is due to many reasons. 

You didn't see too many overlapping CB until he was at United the 1st time around.
    You can go from innovation to stagnation at the drop of an old hat when other coaches find ways of exploting the CB out of position. You see this with wing backs at the wrong end of the pitch when the ball is lost in transition.

Bizarrely there won't be much pressure on Wilder because everyone even Sheffield United fans expect them to drop.
    Didn’t much like him before he supposedly turned us down (for which I don’t blame him). But I like Heckingbottom & find this sticks in my throat a bit .  Yeah, yeah, out of work, fan….blah blah blah. But morally? I know, I know 🙄🤣🤣
  • Options
    Heckingbottom was appointed in exactly the same way - i.e. announced as the new manager at the same time as the announcement of the sacking.  

It's not great.but if you're basically told we're sacking the current manager either way, do you want his job, who would say no?
  • Options
    Can't blame Wilder for taking it. After his previous two relative failures, this is the only chance of getting another PL job. And it's his club as well.
  • Options
    Not sure what the Sheffield United owner was expecting to happen. If you lose a couple of your best players and spend very little after getting promoted then the chances are you're going to struggle.

Having said that, Luton spent far less than them and they're making more of a fight of it. Sheffield United are leaking goals at a rate of almost 3 per game and at the very least you need to make yourself hard to beat to have any chance of survival.
  • Options
    Not sure what the Sheffield United owner was expecting to happen. If you lose a couple of your best players and spend very little after getting promoted then the chances are you're going to struggle.

Having said that, Luton spent far less than them and they're making more of a fight of it. Sheffield United are leaking goals at a rate of almost 3 per game and at the very least you need to make yourself hard to beat to have any chance of survival.

I think he was banking on a takeover but that never materialised and he didn't really want to invest so sold Berge and Ndiaye to lessen his investment. Bar Cameron Archer and Gustavo Hamer I can't recall who they signed.