Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/rovers-part-company-with-horseman-and-carey

Forest Green Rovers can today confirm that Troy Deeney has been appointed Head Coach, following the departure of David Horseman and Louis Carey by mutual consent after a disappointing opening to the 23/24 season. 
  • Options
    Rob Edwards did a great job there, something all his successors have struggled to follow. 

There is a natural order to football. The bottom 2 in L2, FGR and Sutton both feel like overachieving non league sides
  • Options
    Interesting move from FGR , I think Horseman came from Southamptons U23s and it just hasn't worked out. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Interesting move from FGR , I think Horseman came from Southamptons U23s and it just hasn't worked out. 
    "Academy" coaches have been all the rage, but many haven't worked out in the grubby end of the EFL, when you have to battle your way to points, rather than playing Pep football.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    shirty5 said:

Forest Green Rovers can today confirm that Troy Deeney has been appointed Head Coach, following the departure of David Horseman and Louis Carey by mutual consent after a disappointing opening to the 23/24 season. 
    FGR are suffering i m o because the owner Dale Vince having gained a lot of publicity through his ownership of the club and his vegan beliefs, has either lost interest in FGR or run out of cash.
    It's been reported that Vince was looking to sell Ecotricity his cash cow green energy business, and to enter politics. It seems that no party wants to adopt this man as potential candidate.
    Perhaps he is now devoting more time to developing his theory that artificial diamonds can be manufactured using carbon dioxide capture from the atmosphere. Good luck with that one 

Below, Dale Vince and our Jezza Corbyn

undefined
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    "Academy" coaches have been all the rage, but many haven't worked out in the grubby end of the EFL, when you have to battle your way to points, rather than playing Pep football.

Crawley instantly spring to mind , almost relegated with Kevin Betsy who came with a big reputation from Arsenals U23s and then they went Matty Etherington from a similar background. 

Now look a lot more settled with Scott Lindsey in charge who's got a bit more experience of the league. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    seth plum said:
    I would like it if somehow we could get Steve Cooper in as our manager.
    Reckon he'll be Palace manager before long.

This feels like a very good fit , Hodgson might want to see the season out but if results drop off , Cooper is the perfect man for the job 
    And I wouldn’t feel bad for not liking him just because he gives me the creeps 🤣🤣
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Crawley instantly spring to mind , almost relegated with Kevin Betsy who came with a big reputation from Arsenals U23s and then they went Matty Etherington from a similar background. 

Now look a lot more settled with Scott Lindsey in charge who's got a bit more experience of the league. 
    And you look at the success of Steve Evans, getting a bang average Stevenage side (on paper) out of L2 and into the L1 promotion places.
  • Options
    Salford City Football Club announce the departure of Head Coach Neil Wood.
    https://www.salfordcityfc.co.uk/news/2023/december/27/club-statement-neil-wood/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A complete list and comments on the managerial comings and goings in the EFL this year (so far)

2023 in the EFL: A managerial merry-go-round, famous comebacks and Neil Warnock unretiring - BBC Sport
  • Options
    clive said:
    I missed that one. Not a surprise, as they've been terrible this season.

It's interesting that 3 of the bottom 4 L2 sides are historically non league clubs, showing how hard it is to build up a club, even with big name owners.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Of late Forest Green have made some interesting appointments as managers.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

And you look at the success of Steve Evans, getting a bang average Stevenage side (on paper) out of L2 and into the L1 promotion places.
    Steve Evans is not a popular guy on the football circuit, but he's got a good record of success on his CV.
    I'd like him to be our next manager.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    seth plum said:
    I would like it if somehow we could get Steve Cooper in as our manager.
    Reckon he'll be Palace manager before long.

This feels like a very good fit , Hodgson might want to see the season out but if results drop off , Cooper is the perfect man for the job 
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/28/roy-hodgson-under-mounting-pressure-at-crystal-palace-with-cooper-in-frame?fbclid=IwAR29ThTGjxbJjuKm0VHVyMNtrPHeWmw75qi58nVqofNr2QJecKM_KZJOM5A
  • Options
    clive said:

It's interesting that 3 of the bottom 4 L2 sides are historically non league clubs, showing how hard it is to build up a club, even with big name owners.
    has Gary 'Nasal' Neville and his 'class of 92' buddies lost interest in the somewhat manufactured club ? .. whadya reckon ?
  • Options
    Paul Ince is being linked, don't know whether that's just 2+2=5 based on him being an out of work and someone who played a bit with a few of the owners.
  • Options
    Surely Dean Holden has to be a serious consideration for Salford being a local lad? 
  • Options
    clive said:

has Gary 'Nasal' Neville and his 'class of 92' buddies lost interest in the somewhat manufactured club ? .. whadya reckon ?
    I imagine the excitement they had, when they seemed to be getting promoted every season has dissipated, now they're in their 5th season in L2. Especially as Wrexham have stolen their mantle as a "glamorous" lower division club.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surely Dean Holden has to be a serious consideration for Salford being a local lad? 
    Wife said he was mentioned on Talksport earlier as a candidate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Appleton comes from up thay way. Hope Neville sees what a great job he's doing with us & will want to nab him. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Steve Evans is not a popular guy on the football circuit, but he's got a good record of success on his CV.
    We’d need to re-employ burger boy to meet his demands though.
  • Options
    Appleton comes from up thay way. Hope Neville sees what a great job he's doing with us & will want to nab him. 
    £2m compensation hopefully
  • Options
    £2m compensation hopefully
    Usually the compo is paid monthly in the form of wages (like gardening leave). If the manager gets another job, then the compo stops. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We’d need to re-employ burger boy to FEED his demands though.
    Changed that for you! 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

We’d need to re-employ burger boy to meet his demands though.
    He's a big lad.
  • Options

Fleetwood Town can confirm Lee Johnson has left the club with immediate effect.

Assistant Manager Darren Way and First Team Coach Phil Jevons will also depart – everyone at the Club would like to place on record our thanks to Lee, Darren, and Phil for their hard work and professionalism during their time at the club.

The Club will issue a further update on the first team staff in due course.

• Options
    Only appointed in September.

With their owner in prison, they look like a club on the slide back down to their more natural position.
  • Options

Fleetwood Town can confirm Lee Johnson has left the club with immediate effect.

Assistant Manager Darren Way and First Team Coach Phil Jevons will also depart – everyone at the Club would like to place on record our thanks to Lee, Darren, and Phil for their hard work and professionalism during their time at the club.

The Club will issue a further update on the first team staff in due course.

Oh-oh….
  • Options
    Johnson sacked twice this season, it’s not even New Year.