Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Graham Potter has already shown what a good manager he is from Östersund to Brighton. The paradox is he has more to lose than to gain because Chelsea expect to win Trophies every season.

He can gain millions in the bank but what will he do in 18 months when they have just won one Cup and is Sacked because they lost a couple of games in a row. 
  • Options
    Chelsea approaching Graham Potter

• Options
    I suppose money talks but other than that why would Potter even consider moving there from Brighton ? The relationship he has at Brighton is strong where everyone knows whoever is at Chelsea is only a few bad results away from being sacked
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I suppose money talks but other than that why would Potter even consider moving there from Brighton ? The relationship he has at Brighton is strong where everyone knows whoever is at Chelsea is only a few bad results away from being sacked
    Wants to try to win things? 

Unfortunately it's modern football, Chelsea can spend more and have more chance of challenging teams like City and Liverpool, whether that's in the league or going for a 3rd Champions League title.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    If he turned it down, it would be a signal of a lack of ambition. Being sacked by Chelsea with the respective salary and compensation will not prevent him from going back to being a Manager again at at another club of Brighton's status.
  • Options
    These Chelsea owners are not trigger happy. Potter is the perfect replacement unfortunately. They want stability and success with a long term manager. I have mixed feelings lol
  • Options
    These Chelsea owners are not trigger happy. Potter is the perfect replacement unfortunately. They want stability and success with a long term manager. I have mixed feelings lol
    They've sacked a manager already, not sure that's accurate. I think it's very early, harsh on Tuchel who is still trying to integrate the new players. 
  • Options
    RB Leipzig have sacked their manager Domenico Tedesco after their 4-1 Champions League defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RB Leipzig have sacked their manager Domenico Tedesco after their 4-1 Champions League defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk.
     Tedesco is Spanish for German .. not a lot of people know that  :)
  • Options
    Wow... time to see how good Potter is as a Manager if he takes it up.
    A lot different from Brighton where owner Tony Bloom allowed him total control without interference.
    Tony Bloom didn't win millions without being a shrewdie. Potter's release clause is £16m - that will fund his next manager's wages for a good many years 
  • Options
    They've sacked a manager already, not sure that's accurate. I think it's very early, harsh on Tuchel who is still trying to integrate the new players. 
    Look at their record in America. 
  • Options
     Tedesco is Spanish for German .. not a lot of people know that  :)
    Nope, it’s Italian.

Alemania means Germany in Spanish, Aleman or Alemana for German depending on masculine or feminine.
  • Options
    Potter would be mad to go to Chelsea & if he does it can only be for the money. The players wont respect him & he'll last no longer than Tuchel. Far better he stays where he is. If I was a Brighton fan I'd be fuming. 
  • Options
    Potter would be mad to go to Chelsea & if he does it can only be for the money. The players wont respect him & he'll last no longer than Tuchel. Far better he stays where he is. If I was a Brighton fan I'd be fuming. 
    So, we know that one day Potter will be sacked by Brighton. When that happens his stock will drop and he will probably never get the chance to manage a top four PL side. In taking the Chelsea job and even if he were sacked in six months, he will still be in demand and won't have that regret of turning down the opportunity to manage at the highest level. 
  • Options
    Look at their record in America. 
    Different sports completely and different ways of doing things 
  • Options
    It's far too early to tell if they're...
    a) trigger happy
    b) always wanted to bring in their own man and this was the first opportunity to do so

If the next manager lasts under 18 months then we know it's option a
  • Options
    Ian Dowie , rules himself IN for the Chelsea job!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well...Potter turned down the Spurs job before the Portuguese Tramp got offered it, preferring to stay at Brighton.
    So you would have thought he would turn down the 2 times European Champions then...oh wait a minute...
  • Options
    Thomas Frank could be an alternative for 'The Pensioners' (LOL) if Potter says no, non, nein .. Arguably his Brentford achievements so far outstrip even those of Potter @ Brighton

• Options
    Tremendous Twat?
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Tremendous Twat?
    Tory Tosspot.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Well...Potter turned down the Spurs job before the Portuguese Tramp got offered it, preferring to stay at Brighton.
    So you would have thought he would turn down the 2 times European Champions then...oh wait a minute...
    Yep, one would think he would want to join a club with a recent history of winning something. In the last 30 years Spurs have won two League Cups (the most recent 14 years ago) whereas, during that time, Chelsea have won more than 20 trophies so that might be enough to influence him. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Yep, one would think he would want to join a club with a recent history of winning something. In the last 30 years Spurs have won two League Cups (the most recent 14 years ago) whereas, during that time, Chelsea have won more than 20 trophies so that might be enough to influence him. 
    On the other hand, think of the legendary status you could achieve at Spurs if you won the Carabao Cup  ;)
  • Options
    Wow... time to see how good Potter is as a Manager if he takes it up.
    A lot different from Brighton where owner Tony Bloom allowed him total control without interference.
    Tony Bloom didn't win millions without being a shrewdie. Potter's release clause is £16m - that will fund his next manager's wages for a good many years 
    You are 100% correct there. I have played poker many times against him and was like a smiling assassin. Lovely fella but as sharp as they come
  • Options
    Bigger club, Champions league football, better players, chance to win trophies, huge transfer budget.

The players will respect him if they're getting results. 

Yes history tells us he won't last more than 1-2 years at Chelsea (if that), but equally you could argue that if Brighton's form fell off a cliff, he'd be sacked from there as well. Obviously it's a gamble but any manager will back himself.