Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic 5 Rangers 1 - Is Brendan Rodgers back?

Comments

• Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

More a case of Warburton's system and style of play not working. LIke Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, he throws the full backs forward in advance of the ball at every opportunity, leaving Rangers vulnerable to counter attacks into the full back areas, which in turn isolates the centre backs.

HIbs took full advantage in the Cup Final, with Stokes getting behind Tavernier the right back throughout the game, causing havoc, including the first goal. Add to that poor defending at set plays, as illustrated by the late winner. WHich was also the case for Celtics second goal in the Old Firm.

In the Old Firm, Forrest got behind Wallace the right back, throughout the first half in particular, allowing Dembele to lsolate Senderos in the central areas.
    Rangers haven't changed their system since last season, when most first division teams didn't have the tools to capitalise. In a televised league cup tie against Motherwell earlier in the season, Ainsworth also got behind Wallace and caused havoc, but the likes of McDonald and Johnson missed clear cut chances to score. Where Dalia didn't have the tactical plan to beat Rangers in last years Semi final, Rodgers clearly did yesterday, albeit using the template set out by Alan Stubbs in the Cup Final. Add in Barton & Kranjcar getting over-run in central midfield and Rangers were dismantled. Rogic failed to capitalise on the space he had in the no.10 role in the first half, with a lack of quality in his play, otherwise it could have been more. When the more direct and more mobile Armstrong came on, the game really opened up for Celtic.

Warburton looks like a one-trick pony at the moment and needs to adapt.

Rodgers will experience the boot being on the other foot in Barcelona on Wednesday. However, In this game, he showed he had more than enough nous to set his team up to capitalise on clear weaknesses in the opposition's system.

Good point about Warburton, Rangers are a massive club and he must have the weakest credentials in the the club's modern history.

He did what he had to do in getting them back to the SPL but they may need to bring in someone with more clout, although I am not sure what kind of funding they have these days.
    Are you serious? They had Ali Mcoist as there manager for how many year's? Stuart McCall also had a spell. Not to mention at the old club a manager like McLeish didn't achieve much before going there and in truth despite a league cup win in England he hasn't achieved much since. I actually think Warburton has done a good job with them and his recruitment up until this summer was gearing up to a long term plan, maybe this summer he's not been assured of his future long term which has made him sign the likes of Barton, Sendoros and Kranjar.
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

More a case of Warburton's system and style of play not working. LIke Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, he throws the full backs forward in advance of the ball at every opportunity, leaving Rangers vulnerable to counter attacks into the full back areas, which in turn isolates the centre backs.

HIbs took full advantage in the Cup Final, with Stokes getting behind Tavernier the right back throughout the game, causing havoc, including the first goal. Add to that poor defending at set plays, as illustrated by the late winner. WHich was also the case for Celtics second goal in the Old Firm.

In the Old Firm, Forrest got behind Wallace the right back, throughout the first half in particular, allowing Dembele to lsolate Senderos in the central areas.
    Rangers haven't changed their system since last season, when most first division teams didn't have the tools to capitalise. In a televised league cup tie against Motherwell earlier in the season, Ainsworth also got behind Wallace and caused havoc, but the likes of McDonald and Johnson missed clear cut chances to score. Where Dalia didn't have the tactical plan to beat Rangers in last years Semi final, Rodgers clearly did yesterday, albeit using the template set out by Alan Stubbs in the Cup Final. Add in Barton & Kranjcar getting over-run in central midfield and Rangers were dismantled. Rogic failed to capitalise on the space he had in the no.10 role in the first half, with a lack of quality in his play, otherwise it could have been more. When the more direct and more mobile Armstrong came on, the game really opened up for Celtic.

Rodgers will experience the boot being on the other foot in Barcelona on Wednesday. However, In this game, he showed he had more than enough nous to set his team up to capitalise on clear weaknesses in the opposition's system.

Good point about Warburton, Rangers are a massive club and he must have the weakest credentials in the the club's modern history.

He did what he had to do in getting them back to the SPL but they may need to bring in someone with more clout, although I am not sure what kind of funding they have these days.
    Are you serious? They had Ali Mcoist as there manager for how many year's? Stuart McCall also had a spell. Not to mention at the old club a manager like McLeish didn't achieve much before going there and in truth despite a league cup win in England he hasn't achieved much since. I actually think Warburton has done a good job with them and his recruitment up until this summer was gearing up to a long term plan, maybe this summer he's not been assured of his future long term which has made him sign the likes of Barton, Sendoros and Kranjar.
    Barton was hyped as their 'marquee' signing and would have recommended 'Over the' Hill and Krancjar from his days with them at QPR. At the start of the Summer Warburton had a very young squad and wanted to add experience. His acquisitions have been at best poor.

To start on Saturday with such a lack of pace through the core of the side was bizarre.

Rangers have stable finances aided by the sale of 42,000+ season tickets, but are losing money due to the lack of tv revenue in Scotland.
  • Options

To start on Saturday with such a lack of pace through the core of the side was bizarre.

Would never happen here ! :wink:
  • Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

McCoist: Rangers all time record goal scorer, member of the nine in a row team, Scotland international.

McCall: Rangers player, SPL and Scottish Cup winner, Scotland international and 600 games as a pro player in England.

Warburton: Finance worker, 100 games for Boreham Wood, manager of Brentford in League One.

Can you spot the odd one out?

• Options
    what's so baffling is that someone thought of this and had to plan it through. hey i heard Kris Boyds brother killed himself, you know what would be funnny lets get a blow up doll, stick a noose around its neck with a rangers scarf and hang it in front of the rangers fans. Bantz.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Can't wait for the plastic

what's so baffling is that someone thought of this and had to plan it through. hey i heard Kris Boyds brother killed himself, you know what would be funnny lets get a blow up doll, stick a noose around its neck with a rangers scarf and hang it in front of the rangers fans. Bantz.
    I imagine most Celtic fans have a blow up doll and a noose lying around their shed anyway.
    Gratuitously unworthy.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

I imagine most Celtic fans have a blow up doll and a noose lying around their shed anyway.
    Whereas Rangers fans seem to save money by using their own body waste!

If only the board of the old Rangers had been so frugal!!
  • Options
    Nothing good can possibly come out of a football argument about the old firm clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree that the people who put these up were scum but im sure you would agree you cannot label the whole support base as scum. This is from soemone who has suffered with severe mental health problems so feel for me it is an emotive issue.
  • Options

I agree that the people who put these up were scum but im sure you would agree you cannot label the whole support base as scum. This is from soemone who has suffered with severe mental health problems so feel for me it is an emotive issue.
    exactly, what about the terrorists and pedophiles?
  • Options

iainment said:

Nothing good can possibly come out of a football argument about the old firm clubs.

Make you right @iainment!!
  • Options

They're over the moon at the moment because this mob have taken the heat off them.
  • Options
    Back to reality. Seven for Barcelona,could have been double that and they probably didn't break sweat.
    Sectarianist attitudes are totally out of date,should these rivalries not be be condemned rather than glorified at an "Auld Firm Derby--one of the biggest in the world"--living forever in the past.
  • Options
    Su-feckin-perb!
  • Options
    Watching the highlights on BT Sport 2. Could easily have been double figures!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dreadful performance from Celtic. Looked like they were set up for zonal marking, but couldn't keep tabs on a zone, let alone a player!

What's with benching Gordon? He's your no.1 keeper, bloody well play him! Gamboa??? Made George Weah's cousin look good!!

Sublime to watch from Barca at times, but little to no resistance at all in front of them. Back to walloping the rest of Scotland for a few more weeks!!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    "will challenge top 6 in England if in our league system", fuck off they will, bunch of no mark wankers, go back to pissing the most lopsided league in the world, wouldn't see Spurs or ManUre getting spanked for 7
  • Options
    It will be interesting to hear what rubbish Rodgers has to say after tonight!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

"will challenge top 6 in England if in our league system", fuck off they will, bunch of no mark wankers, go back to pissing the most lopsided league in the world, wouldn't see Spurs or ManUre getting spanked for 7

Arsenal tonight should of been spanked for 7. Not that I'm suggesting that as an argument for Celtic haveing a chance in our leagues it just proves that Cavani is next to hopeless.
  • Options
    EPl is overrated, SPL is just awful.
  • Options
    Will be drinking 7-up in the streets of Barcelona tonight.
  • Options
    What a shame it wasnt rangers would have been 20.
  • Options
    Re the suicide thing - I've heard that was a take on Rangers' recent plight rather than a dig at Boyd, and that they'd first done that long before his brother died. Not sure it's true or not.

• Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed Barcelona bringing those wankers down a peg or two. Scott Brown running around chasing shadows like the two-bob twat that he is haha. Excellent evening of football.
  • Options
    Christ this thread is awful. Does make you laugh seeing the pro-Rangers go on about tonight though doesn't it. Probably would be east 12-13 against them. Hardly league 2 quality.