Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton | Sat 10 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Fleetwood Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th September 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Introduction

When Charlton were relegated to League One, I’m sure there was one aspect that the majority fans were looking forward to and that was the fact that there would be no weeks interrupted by an International break… Oh!!

Of course that should have been the case yet when Charlton signed Josh Magennis and Jordan Botaka it meant that our match last week was called off which means it has been two weeks since our last competitive outing, it’s been two weeks of hard work on the training ground, ironing out any errors that occurred in the opening games… the Addicks are fresh, our opponents: Fleetwood Town might not, we can only hope that this’ll be the last time this season we have to deal with the unwanted interruption.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town | Manager: Uwe Rosler
Ground: Highbury | League Position: 3rd

As already mentioned, not having to deal with an International break was one aspect to look forward to, whilst facing new teams is always something to look forward to. Charlton have never faced Fleetwood yet it’s not difficult for that to have happened… Only formed in 1997 (for the third time), they must be our youngest ever opponents yet it has been a quick rise through the pyramid for the side that sold Jamie Vardy to Leicester City for £1m.

Highbury has changed a bit since our last visit...

Promoted to League One in 2014, this is a third year at this level for the Fishermen yet after a relegation battle (which saw them survive by only five points) last time out, you’d surely expect Fleetwood to be one of the favourites for relegation…

That tag wasn’t helped when Manager: Steven Pressley resigned at the end of July… Uwe Rosler (we all remember him) was brought in just a week before the season began and the tag of being favourites for relegation was becoming easy to see. Yet football is a funny game, the Fisherman haven’t lost at home in the League this season and have only lost once on the road at Bolton… Three points won’t be easy this weekend, yet could Fleetwood be this seasons Burton? – Time will tell

Charlton Team News
Russell Slade has had two weeks to work with his side, and has had two weeks for players to recover from any niggles… Johnnie Jackson is the obvious player in that category having limped off early against Bolton (due to a tight hamstring), he could return this Saturday whilst new loanee Frederik Ulvestad could also make his debut after signing on deadline day.

Josh Magennis / Jordan Botaka and Ademola Lookman all appear to have survived International Duty without any injuries so should be back and ready to play… Following a 7-2 victory for the U21s in midweek: Harry Lennon was one absentee so should also be closer to full fitness and so another selection headache for Russell Slade to have in defence (enjoy it whilst it lasts Russell)

Rudd
Solly … Konsa … Pearce … Fox
Foley … Crofts … Jackson … Holmes
Ajose … Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Bauer | Chicksen | Ulvestad | Botaka | Lookman | Hanlan

Prediction
When you look at the names of the two teams (Fleetwood v Charlton) you’d expect the latter to win, especially as Fleetwood struggled so badly last season… Yet if Football was so simple then I’d be a millionaire from my accumulators and don’t see this being as easy as it looks.

Fleetwood are third in the League because that’s where they deserve to be so this match won’t be a walk over, if the Addicks want to achieve promotion at the first attempt though, this’ll be the games they must win!!

Comments

• I'm not so sure Jacko will be fit; he generally takes three to four weeks to recover from these hammy niggles, and there is no point on him coming back too soon, pulling it properly, then being out for two months, when we do have cover.

My guess at a starting XI would be -

Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Pearce
    Fox
    Foley
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Holmes
    Ajose
    Magennis

- with a bench of Phillips, Bauer, Chicksen, Lennon, Botaka, Lookman, Hanlan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bauer take the place of Konsa though, as we have to bring Ezri on slowly...
  • Pedro45 said:

I'm not so sure Jacko will be fit; he generally takes three to four weeks to recover from these hammy niggles, and there is no point on him coming back too soon, pulling it properly, then being out for two months, when we do have cover.

My guess at a starting XI would be -

Rudd
    Solly
    Konsa
    Pearce
    Fox
    Foley
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Holmes
    Ajose
    Magennis

- with a bench of Phillips, Bauer, Chicksen, Lennon, Botaka, Lookman, Hanlan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bauer take the place of Konsa though, as we have to bring Ezri on slowly...

Yeah Jackson / Ulvestad was the one I was really scratching my head over... It'll be good as well if Russell is asked about Lee Novak tomorrow, he played against Bury (which was too soon) and has been rested since, surely he's closer to making a return?
  • edited September 2016
    This fixture could provide the inspiration for a new book about Charlton's recent history, "From Highbury to Highbury".

Sorry to be a pedant but either MK Dons or AFC Wimbledon is our youngest opponent. I'd class MK Dons as the new club and AFC as the continuation of the old Wimbledon but some may disagree.

Anyway, whilst some might consider this a fun day out, I find it utterly depressing having to degrade ourselves in fixtures like this. I hope that big-nosed div enjoys her trip to the town that Blackpool looks down its nose at.

1-1 draw in their cup final. Boring.
  • Fleetwood have the smallest population at just over 25,000 of the teams playing in the football league.
    2-0 to Charlton
  • "we can only hope that this’ll be the last time this season we have to deal with the unwanted interruption."

Better this than say losing Magennis and Lookman for a key match!

Our squad is looking stronger now. Botaka certainly impressed on his international outing, you'd like to think the pace of him and Lookman would terrorise a few tiring defences this season. Lee Novak must be near a return too?
  • Away fans are mostly housed in the Percy Ronson terrace at one end of the stadium, where 831 fans can be accommodated. This terrace which was opened in 2007, is covered, free from supporting pillars and affords a good view of the playing action. The Club have recently improved the facilities in this area with a new snack bar and toilet block. The terrace capacity also includes an open flat standing area on the Highbury Stand side. The official capacities are 621 for the Percy Ronson Terrace and 210 for the Highbury side standing area. There is an away fans ticket office and programme booth situated outside the visiting supporters entrance.

Visiting supporters are also allocated 300 seats in the Parkside Stand and this can be increased if required. The facilities in this stand are far better than the terrace with alcoholic drinks available to purchase and there are large screens on the concourse showing Sky Sports.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/highbury-stadium-fleetwood-town.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-away-supporters
    Flag Quote · Like LOL
  • "we can only hope that this’ll be the last time this season we have to deal with the unwanted interruption."

Our squad is looking stronger now. Botaka certainly impressed on his international outing, you'd like to think the pace of him and Lookman would terrorise a few tiring defences this season. Lee Novak must be near a return too?

Agreed, I don't know how many more fixtures the U-20s have this season. Saw an article where Aidy Boothroyd talks about having various sides lined up but can't find the actual fixtures.

That said, if the Millwall or Swindon games are postponed I'll be sad as I suspect those are the only two chances of getting to watch a match before new year. I suspect there will be a stream for Millwall (perhaps naively).
  • SDAddick said:

"we can only hope that this’ll be the last time this season we have to deal with the unwanted interruption."

Agreed, I don't know how many more fixtures the U-20s have this season. Saw an article where Aidy Boothroyd talks about having various sides lined up but can't find the actual fixtures.

That said, if the Millwall or Swindon games are postponed I'll be sad as I suspect those are the only two chances of getting to watch a match before new year. I suspect there will be a stream for Millwall (perhaps naively).
    Just the usual stream of tears from Charlton fans...
  • Ulvestad will be chomping at the bit to start, and I'd play him even if Jacko is fit
    Predicting a draw, either 0-0 or 1-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

"we can only hope that this’ll be the last time this season we have to deal with the unwanted interruption."

I dont think the U20s have anymore fixtures this year hence why I dont think Millwall / Swindon will be cancelled
  • Lookman to start. Roly says it's ok because we won't sell him til January!
  • Fleetwood will be this seasons surprise package, Rosler has them running as a well oiled machine. I cant see a win but neither can I see a lose. A 1-1 draw is on the cards for me.
  • Yeah I can't find anything.

Re: Jacko's fitness, it sounded like a minor strain more than anything. I know he's had difficulties with his hamstring(s) in the past, but it sounded like it wasn't too bad.

If he's fit the question becomes whether Olvestad is fit enough to come straight in, and if he takes Foley's place. If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me to see the 4-4-2 diamond in midfield again with Olvestad and JJ either side of the diamond, Crofts at the base, and Holmes with a free role.

Pressumably Lookman will start from the bench, particularly given he played twice for England U-20s (one in the match proper and one in the behind-closed-doors match). That said, I hope that he's getting close to starting, as I'd like to see us lining up with two proper wide attackers and two forwards.
  • Fleetwood Town v Charlton Athletic
    A nice local referee i see :wink:
  • edited September 2016
    I think Slade will make two changes to the side:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Holmes Crofts Ulvestad Jackson
    Ajose Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Lennon, Chicksen, Foley, Lookman, Hanlan

Novak still not quite ready, but should be for home game against Wimbledon. Konsa unlucky not to start but Bauer forces his way into the side. Botaka unlucky to miss out too as I'll be surprised if any of the others on the bench was to miss out. Tex now being overlooked but thankfully it's the first squad without Johnson.

2-1 Charlton.
    Magennis getting his first for the club.
  • Fleetwood Town v Charlton Athletic
    A nice local referee i see :wink:

Hopefully a Blackpool supporter!
  • 2-1 to the Addicks . Magennis and Lookman .
  • 1 - 0 Fleetwood. Set piece.
  • 0-3 Magennis hatrick
  • Sponsored links:

• Away win for me, 0-2.
  • I'm going to this. Not looking forward to the Friday night drive but hopefully we will get a performance. I'd like to see Lookman and Ulvestadt start. I also think it would be good if Bauer comes back in. Konsa ooks a great prospect, but a break won't hurt him and Bauer is too good for this level.
  • 0-3 to RS' Red & White Army.
  • It's ironic that Blackpool's reserves used to play at Fleetwood, as Blackpool are now a division below them!

That would be like Welling United being a division above us, what a nightmarish thought
  • Sage said:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Ajose Magennis

Novak still not quite ready, but should be for home game against Wimbledon. Konsa unlucky not to start but Bauer forces his way into the side. Botaka unlucky to miss out too as I'll be surprised if any of the others on the bench was to miss out. Tex now being overlooked but thankfully it's the first squad without Johnson.

2-1 Charlton.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'd be frustrated to see two center backs and two fullbacks (admittedly Foley can play in midfield) on the bench with a winger missing out.

Assuming everyone is fit after a week and a half break, this weekend starts the center back selection headache for Slade.
  • Got 1-0 home win all over it for me.
  • SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Ajose Magennis

2-1 Charlton.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'd be frustrated to see two center backs and two fullbacks (admittedly Foley can play in midfield) on the bench with a winger missing out.

Assuming everyone is fit after a week and a half break, this weekend starts the center back selection headache for Slade.
    I just thought for an away game knowing Slade he is likely to be more cautious. I also thought he would see Foley as cover for centre midfield, Konsa as cover for right back, Lennon and Chicksen obvious where they will play. Lookman out wide or up top and Hanlan due to Novak being out.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to have Botaka on the bench instead of someone else, but with Chicksen covering full back and a new signing, Konsa playing a lot recently and able to play full back, Lennon now fit, and not a chance I see Foley being totally dropped, it was the only logical solution I saw.

Just have to see of course, but 2-1 win I am sticking at.
  • Botaka played on Sunday? so should be fairly fresh, even allowing for the flight home, it's not as if he played midweek
  • Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Ulvestad
    Crofts
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Magennis

Phillips, Foley, Konsa, Chicksen, Botaka, Jackson, Novak