Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

100 greatest films of the 21st Century

Comments

• Options
    Honestly the fact that this list has no Bad Education: The Movie means it has zero credibility.
  • Options

What a lot of old crap.

Mulholland Drive is not even David Lynch's best movie and No Country for Old Men would't even make my top 100 Westerns. No Ken Loach or Mike Leigh? No Citizen Four? The Painted Veil, Birdman, Crash, Whiplash, Searching for Sugarman??

Slumdog Millionaiire and Lord of the Rings were not my personal favourites but it didn't do too badly at the Oscars

Come on.

Must be a BBC intern project for some idiot from Ox-bridge before they get transferred to the sports desk.

This is madness
    no. this is madness...

• Options
    Gran Torino?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Gran Torino?

That film has what I regard as the worst casting/ performances in the history of mainstream cinema (at least until Clint made Hereafter). The Korean kids are cringe-inducingly bad.

Clint makes some really shit films and gets away with it IMO. Proper emperor's new clothes stuff.

• Options
    Off_it said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Off_it said:

Gran Torino?

That film has what I regard as the worst casting/ performances in the history of mainstream cinema (at least until Clint made Hereafter). The Korean kids are cringe-inducingly bad.

Clint makes some really shit films and gets away with it IMO. Proper emperor's new clothes stuff.

Well I don't really give a fuck what you think mate, I think it's a great film.

So there.
    Guess discussion isn't your strong suit?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Off_it said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Off_it said:

Gran Torino?

Well I don't really give a fuck what you think mate, I think it's a great film.

So there.
    Guess discussion isn't your strong suit?
    To be fair, my comment probably didn't come across as I intended it.

What I meant was that I think it's a great film. And to be completely honest I really, really don't give a fuck if other people don't like it.

But then I'm no Barry Norman. I just know what I like.
  • Options
    And why not?
  • Options
    And that's fair. My attitude is, if somebody likes a movie more than me, they win!

I don't like Gran Torino. As Clint's retirement movie it makes a bit more sense, particularly to his fans. As a standalone drama I just don't understand it.

But when it comes to a list like this, I don't think GT can feature because the Korean kids are, objectively speaking, awful at acting!
  • Options
    Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur and The Wizard of Oz have got to be way up there.

How about Bubba Hotep for best B movie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Godstone said:

Gone with the Wind... Think all the hype over the film has blown over now
    Ben Hur... Thats just raced off into the History Books
    Wizard of Oz... I like my films with a little bit more heart!!

Take THAT @Oh_Yoni_Boy for puns!! ;)
  • Options

Godstone said:

But what about Bubba Hotep!
  • Options
    Godstone said:

Godstone said:

Bubba Hotep is just your typical Horror Film... thats been done to death!!
  • Options

Godstone said:

So close to my first flagging. The mods have been alerted.

• Options

Godstone said:

So close to my first flagging. The mods have been alerted.

Seeing that we're on a Film thread, I thought I'd provide you with this beauty

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Honestly the fact that this list has no Bad Education: The Movie means it has zero credibility.

What, the Almodovar? ;)
  • Options

Godstone said:

Godstone said:

Bubba Hotep is just your typical Horror Film... thats been done to death!!
    I thought Bubba Hotep was best watched with the 'Elvis' commentary rather than the proper script.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

Umm, 21st century movies...

• Options
    edited August 2016
    IdleHans said:

Godstone said:

Umm, 21st century movies...

they've remade ben hur

not sure about the other films though
  • Options
    ... and no Donnie Darko? rubbish list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Overrated emo rubbish.
  • Options

Overrated emo rubbish.
    well, I like it :)
  • Options

Overrated emo rubbish.
    Likewise, even though it came out when I was in high school it's held up well to the test of time.

I tried watching "Spring Breakers" because I'd read a review saying it was surprisingly good. It was neither surprising nor good, and I didn't make it too far into the film.

Also, in addition to Gladiator (which I think is a bit overrated but still quite good), Snatch came out in 2000.
  • Options

Overrated emo rubbish.
    same here, but I was a bit of an emo so that might have something to do with it. also love the 80s soundtrack on it.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Watched Mulholland Drive over the weekend - wtf was that all about ??!!

Silencio and The Cowboy - I havnt got the slightest.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    What a strange list. If anything I would say it's the top 100 most overrated films of the 21st century. In the top ten alone there are two films i absolutely hate . Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Spirited Away are nauseatingly bad in my opinion yet Terrence Malick's Tree of life is also there which i adored.

Opinions
  • Options
    I haven't even bothered to look at the list. My top film list changes regularly depending on my mood so why bother with someone else's.

Today my favourite film would be Blue Collar. But only because I watched it again last night on dvd and really liked it. By tomorrow I'll have another.
  • Options
    I notice that Adam Sandler's films are criminally overlooked.
  • Options
    These lists are all highly subjective and, in reality, they're probably only put together to (a) generate a bit of discussion and (b) to appeal to people who love lists (like the bloke in 'High Fidelity').

I've seen about half of these, most of which I'd put in the 'good' or 'very good' categories, rather than 'excellent'. Of those I've seen, the ones which are, in my view, outstanding include 'A Prophet', 'Ida', 'Amour', 'City of God', 'The Lives of Others' and '4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days'.

I was disappointed with 'Shame' and 'Inside Llewyn Davis' and couldn't make head nor tale of 'Holy Motors' and the Argentinian film, 'The Headless Woman'.

Whilst it's all a matter of opinion, I think some notable omissions from the list of best films from 2000 include:
    - 'Motorcycle Diaries'
    - 'Paradise Now'
    - 'Mid-August Lunch'
    - 'Untouchable'
    - 'Y Tu Mama Tambien'
    - 'Wild Tales'
  • Options
    Also thoroughly enjoyed 'Sideways', the one about the wine tasting road trip.