Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

100 greatest films of the 21st Century

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

AI, which I thought was frankly diabolical.

Flawed, certainly. Spielberg's direction is still masterful in that movie, and some of the themes are fascinating. The execution was ultimately quite boring to me admittedly, but diabolical is excessive. It shouldn't be in this list though.
    Went on way too long. Should have ended when they were about to be burned. Then it should have ended when they were trapped underwater. Everything after that point completely ruined the whole film.
    i'd have loved to have seen kubrick's intepretation (since the film is written by him/his idea).
  • Options

Glad to see Synecdoche, New York there. It's my favourite film of all time but you don't normally find a lot of people who have seen it or liked it. On the other hand though, it's annoying to see Eternal Sunshine so high up as it's essentially the finger painting version of Synecdoche.

Pretty sure Kaufman did Eternal Sunshine first
    Oh, he did, Synecdoche is basically a development of similar ideas. I do like Eternal Sunshine but it's very much a Charlie Kaufman film for the mainstream. That's not a bad thing, it just depends what you're after. I really like the way Kaufman thinks so I enjoy him developing his ideas and driving into weird territory more, which Synecdoche does. It's not an easy film but once you get into it the payoff hits you much harder. I think it's his best film, with Adaptation next. You'd also probably really like Her as well. It's not Kaufman but it's Spike Jonze who is basically Charlie Kaufman with a skateboard and a head injury
  • Options

Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

Flawed, certainly. Spielberg's direction is still masterful in that movie, and some of the themes are fascinating. The execution was ultimately quite boring to me admittedly, but diabolical is excessive. It shouldn't be in this list though.
    Went on way too long. Should have ended when they were about to be burned. Then it should have ended when they were trapped underwater. Everything after that point completely ruined the whole film.
    i'd have loved to have seen kubrick's intepretation (since the film is written by him/his idea).
    I imagine it would have involved less people staring off camera as that's Spielberg's preferred method of direction.
  • Options

This list is shocking. Inglorious basterds is far too low (disagree with OP, IG is second only to pulp fiction in QT's films, certainly his best since 2000), I can't see the departed on there either which is easily one of my favourite films this century.

Some really rubbish films in there as well. Holy Motors is way too high, sounds like one of those critics that sees a pretentious French film and thinks it must be amazing because it's French. I love French new wave movies but recently the country has been putting out some rubbish.

The Departed probably isn't in it because it's basically an exact copy of a Japanese film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs
  • Options

This list is shocking. Inglorious basterds is far too low (disagree with OP, IG is second only to pulp fiction in QT's films, certainly his best since 2000), I can't see the departed on there either which is easily one of my favourite films this century.

Some really rubbish films in there as well. Holy Motors is way too high, sounds like one of those critics that sees a pretentious French film and thinks it must be amazing because it's French. I love French new wave movies but recently the country has been putting out some rubbish.

The Departed probably isn't in it because it's basically an exact copy of a Japanese film.

Infernal is a far superior film, but i did enjoy the departed.
  • Options
    Dogman v Catwoman didn't make the list then .
  • Options

Dogman v Catwoman didn't make the list then .

Nor did Edward Penishands.

Shame.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

Strange one this - I'm a huge fan of both Kubrick and Spielberg.
    AI's certainly not perfect but it had me in floods of tears by the end.
    If Kubrick had made it, it might well have been a better film but I suspect it wouldn't have packed such an emotional punch.

I've seen 86 out of the 102 in the list...no idea what my number 1 would be.
  • Options
    I haven't heard of 86 of that list, let alone seen them!
  • Options
    Heard of 32 of them, seen 16. Zodiac, Memento and Pan's Labyrinth probably the best three - with special mention for The Grand Budapest Hotel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Funny that the guardian didnt go left field enough...not enough world cinema

The 21st century should be remembered as the era we realised you dont need the studio politics to make beautiful films.

City of God
    Oldboy
    Battle royale
    Y tu mama tambien
    Dead mans shoes
    Taxi tehran

They should be in any top 10 of this century so far.

And for that very reason, beautiful films without the idiocy of Hollywood, i agree lynch should be no.1 and mullholland drive would be mine as well. Made in hollywood and yet, so not.

The thing with films is that you should hopefully make new preferences every day.
  • Options
    the Lives of Others (rank 32) is magnificent and should be seen by everybody.
  • Options
    To be honest I have no idea what my favourite film is this century. The first two off the top of my head would be the Departed or Inglourious Basterds. The Dark Knight though is one of the only films I have seen on that list that I would consider my favourite.
  • Options

No, Internal Affairs is a Hong Kong film and The Departed is a remake.
  • Options
    Just realised Whiplash isn't in there. Criminal! I'd have that in for Boyhood, which is respected more for the for way it was made than the film itself.

I think even Jim Jarmusch would be surprised to see Only Lovers Left Alive on the list. It's quirky, and an interesting/ funny premise but not a classic.

I love Wall-E but Inside Out is second only to Toy Story 3 in Pixar's collection, which isn't in there at all.

In fact, there are no sequels in there, and very few remakes. I think they should be up front about the criteria, because ignoring sequels for the sake of it isn't entirely fair.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Just realised Whiplash isn't in there. Criminal! I'd have that in for Boyhood, which is respected more for the for way it was made than the film itself.

I think even Jim Jarmusch would be surprised to see Only Lovers Left Alive on the list. It's quirky, and an interesting/ funny premise but not a classic.

I love Wall-E but Inside Out is second only to Toy Story 3 in Pixar's collection, which isn't in there at all.

In fact, there are no sequels in there, and very few remakes. I think they should be up front about the criteria, because ignoring sequels for the sake of it isn't entirely fair.

The Dark Knight is a sequel.
  • Options
    Well spotted. Go to the top of the class. Doesn't really change the point though.
  • Options
    no votes for Ex Machina?
    One of the more thought provoking films of this century
  • Options
    No Intouchable?
    Whole thing is bollocks then.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Well spotted. Go to the top of the class. Doesn't really change the point though.

Granted. What about Zero Dark Thirty? I didn't see the other 29 though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not much in the way of British films.

Mike leigh for instance?

Vera Drake?
    Happy Go Lucky?
    Mr Turner?

Unless i skim read the list too fast.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Not much in the way of British films.

Mike leigh for instance?

Vera Drake?
    Happy Go Lucky?
    Mr Turner?

Unless i skim read the list too fast.

Fish Tank and Under The Skin not do it for ya?

Former I've not seen but I've heard it's great, latter is utterly amazing
  • Options
    Mulholland Drive is my favourite film. It is highly rewarding if you give it the time.

Memories of Murder from South Korea is excellent but missed out. Nick's recommendation The Lives of Others is indeed great and on UK Netflix.

People can whinge about such lists being pretentious but equally they shouldn't only be about what's popular.
  • Options
    Blimey, I've seen 29 off that list. I must be more of a pretentious twonk that I thought :-/
  • Options

Funny that the guardian didnt go left field enough...not enough world cinema

The 21st century should be remembered as the era we realised you dont need the studio politics to make beautiful films.

City of God
    Oldboy
    Battle royale
    Y tu mama tambien
    Dead mans shoes
    Taxi tehran

They should be in any top 10 of this century so far.

And for that very reason, beautiful films without the idiocy of Hollywood, i agree lynch should be no.1 and mullholland drive would be mine as well. Made in hollywood and yet, so not.

The thing with films is that you should hopefully make new preferences every day.

Nah the 60s, early 70s and the 90s were decades that really showed you didn't need the American studio system to make incredible films.
  • Options

Can tell its a list by critics. Pretentious, 'oooh its soo arty, lets suck off Hollywood' dog shit.

Type of film they show in the Barbican Cinema.
  • Options

Can tell its a list by critics. Pretentious, 'oooh its soo arty, lets suck off Hollywood' dog shit.

Type of film they show in the Barbican Cinema.
    It's not for us common folk
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    No "Night at the museum 2"? A travesty of epic proportions.

Any list that does not contain the "Mrs Brown's Boys" 3 hr directors cut is intellectual traitorous wank fodder of the highest order.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    What a lot of old crap.

Mulholland Drive is not even David Lynch's best movie and No Country for Old Men would't even make my top 100 Westerns. No Ken Loach or Mike Leigh? No Citizen Four? The Painted Veil, Birdman, Crash, Whiplash, Searching for Sugarman??

Slumdog Millionaiire and Lord of the Rings were not my personal favourites but it didn't do too badly at the Oscars

Come on.

Must be a BBC intern project for some idiot from Ox-bridge before they get transferred to the sports desk.
  • Options

What a lot of old crap.

Mulholland Drive is not even David Lynch's best movie and No Country for Old Men would't even make my top 100 Westerns. No Ken Loach or Mike Leigh? No Citizen Four? The Painted Veil, Birdman, Crash, Whiplash, Searching for Sugarman??

Slumdog Millionaiire and Lord of the Rings were not my personal favourites but it didn't do too badly at the Oscars

Come on.

Must be a BBC intern project for some idiot from Ox-bridge before they get transferred to the sports desk.

This is madness