Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

100 greatest films of the 21st Century

edited August 2016 in Not Sports Related
Obviously it's open to a fair amount of discussion, as the defenition is hazy to say the least. There are a lot on here that I haven't even heard of, and the number 1 film, Mulholland Drive, is a bit of a odd choice. A mate of mine described it as self indulgent, and I'd have to say I thought it was a bit 'weird for the sake of it'. The anmation films are all good choices. I can claim to be an expert as it's about all I watch these days, but I can't help feeling they've missed some good ones, if only I could remember them. For example, there isn't one with Clint Eastwood directing, and the man is on a roll cinematically. Plus Inglorious Bastards by Quentin Tarentino is not one of his best in my opinion. Ah well, each to their own. Link below.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

Comments

• I've seen 10 of those films. Including AI, which I thought was frankly diabolical.

Judging by some of the films and directors on there, that list seems very much like a circlejerk as opposed to films judged on factors other than the narrow set of criteria film critics look for.
  • WALL-E was dogshit, really surprised a Shrek isn't in there
  • MadMax Fury Road is the 19th best film of the last 16 years ? Really ?
  • I've seen 7 of that lot, 4 because they were on TV/Sky, 2 (WALL-E and Finding Nemo) at the cinema because I took the kids and 1 as an inflight movie (Wolf of Wall Street, which on a larger screen in first class probably wasn't the most appropriate thing to be watching)
  • No Slum dog? What a crap list
  • At least Requiem for a Dream made it all be it at 100.
  • Some strange films in there, maybe they were just trying to be different?

Has anyone seen tree of life? I have only ever heard bad things about it, maybe it isn't that bad after all.

Children of men was okay, definitely not a top 15 film of the 21st century.

Maybe we should compile our own list?
  • Very strange list, but like you say, each to their own!

Can't believe Gladiator isn't in there?!

I had to google it to check it was released 2000 as thought it just have been 1999 to not be included. Shocking omission.

Imagine there are emails going around saying ' where's gladiator, you said you were adding to the list". , "no you said you would add it " etc
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    the bloke has gone for some slightly left field choices. surprised by some of the entries. good films but not for everyone's taste. Mulholland drive would struggle to even make it into the top 100 for me never mind 1st and that goes for In the Mood for Love as well.

glad spirited away is high up. love that film. i would probably move a few and have let the right one in and requiem for a dream further up.

i would also include drive, inside out, sideways, little miss sunshine, The Wave, we need to talk about kevin, Rushmore, Hidden, Juno, Into the wild, Milk, Nebraska, Anvil and of course the devil wears prada.

there's probably loads more but that's of the top of my head.
  • These lists are just wank fodder for people who think they are better than everyone else.

I was going to say this is a critics list where they are showing off about how intellectual they are. Justifying their existence. But you put it much better.
  • This list is shocking. Inglorious basterds is far too low (disagree with OP, IG is second only to pulp fiction in QT's films, certainly his best since 2000), I can't see the departed on there either which is easily one of my favourite films this century.

Some really rubbish films in there as well. Holy Motors is way too high, sounds like one of those critics that sees a pretentious French film and thinks it must be amazing because it's French. I love French new wave movies but recently the country has been putting out some rubbish.
  • WALL-E was great. I watched it again last night on the back of seeing this list. AI and Mad Max Road Fury were some of the more freakish results - I'm not sure they would be in the top 100 for the year they were released if I wrote the list, let alone the last 16 years.
    Grand Hotel Budapest was class though.
  • Grand Budapest hotel is a great film, and I don't like Wes Anderson films.
  • There is some right pretentious drivel in that selection!
  • I can't believe I've seen about 25 of those films.... :smiley: Still, a very strange list.

Good to see both The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty there though. I absolutely loved those two. Kathryn Bigelow is one of my favourite directors.

I would include Hotel Rwanda, A Beautiful Mind, Black Hawk Down, Michael Clayton (criminally underrated), Dallas Buyers Club, Prisoners, Blood Diamond, Kingdom of Heaven, Atonement, Lord of War. And maybe the Jason Bourne trilogy.
  • Seriously the Pianist is below the Royal Tenenbaums!!

Thats just laughable as the Pianist along with Schindlers List is one of the best films to tackle the Holocaust!!
  • Million Dollar Baby.
    Would be high on my list
  • Glad to see Synecdoche, New York there. It's my favourite film of all time but you don't normally find a lot of people who have seen it or liked it. On the other hand though, it's annoying to see Eternal Sunshine so high up as it's essentially the finger painting version of Synecdoche.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can tell its a list by critics. Pretentious, 'oooh its soo arty, lets suck off Hollywood' dog shit.
  • Can tell its a list by critics. Pretentious, 'oooh its soo arty, lets suck off Hollywood' dog shit.

Agreed... I've heard of barely any of those films
  • Pleased to see my favourite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at no. 6. Some films do so much more than merely entertain and this is definitely one of them. Helped me question a lot of the things in life that I take for granted. Beautiful film and I would strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.
  • edited August 2016
    A lot of popular films in there, not that many, cutting edge, pretentious or arty ones, no Tarkovsky shock horror. I'm glad Bela Tar has a couple of films listed. I Would of loved to have seen 'Black Cat White Cat' amongst them, but all in all its just another list.
  • Fiiish said:

AI, which I thought was frankly diabolical.

Flawed, certainly. Spielberg's direction is still masterful in that movie, and some of the themes are fascinating. The execution was ultimately quite boring to me admittedly, but diabolical is excessive. It shouldn't be in this list though.

Seen about half of the movies here, and can honestly say I stopped taking it seriously when I saw "Spring Breakers" in there. Don't get 25th Hour either. I also love Inside Llewyn Davis, but wouldn't put it in the top 20.

Tree of Life can fuck off.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Fiiish said:

AI, which I thought was frankly diabolical.

Flawed, certainly. Spielberg's direction is still masterful in that movie, and some of the themes are fascinating. The execution was ultimately quite boring to me admittedly, but diabolical is excessive. It shouldn't be in this list though.
    Went on way too long. Should have ended when they were about to be burned. Then it should have ended when they were trapped underwater. Everything after that point completely ruined the whole film.
  • Pleased to see my favourite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at no. 6. Some films do so much more than merely entertain and this is definitely one of them. Helped me question a lot of the things in life that I take for granted. Beautiful film and I would strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

You might enjoy Adaptation then if you haven't already seen it. Same writer but a bit more layered
  • edited August 2016

Pleased to see my favourite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at no. 6. Some films do so much more than merely entertain and this is definitely one of them. Helped me question a lot of the things in life that I take for granted. Beautiful film and I would strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

You might enjoy Adaptation then if you haven't already seen it. Same writer but a bit more layered
    Thanks. Was incredibly moved by Eternal Sunshine and immediately started looking for similar-ish films. Will take a look.
  • Glad to see Synecdoche, New York there. It's my favourite film of all time but you don't normally find a lot of people who have seen it or liked it. On the other hand though, it's annoying to see Eternal Sunshine so high up as it's essentially the finger painting version of Synecdoche.

Pretty sure Kaufman did Eternal Sunshine first