Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cheltenham v Charlton | Tue 09 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 9th August 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
League Cup – First Round

Introduction

Greetings from Cheltenham… Am clocking up the miles already this season, having enjoyed the Greater Manchester area on Saturday, its time now to move on to Cheltenham… Of course just down the road is the famous Cotswolds, little picturesque villages which were deservedly named as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, although not from Cheltenham this is pretty much Shakespeare land so don’t forget to give the locals hell for all those arduous English lessons.

For those of you who despair after Saturday simply remember one of the bards great quotes…

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them, whilst others are simply cursed to spend forever doomed as Charlton fans

The Opposition
Name: Cheltenham Town | Manager: Gary Johnson
League: League Two

This Tuesday night sees the start of the League Cup, this Tuesday night (if our history is anything to go by) sees the end of the League Cup for another season… When the draw was made for the First Round last month we couldn’t have been given an easier tie which naturally means we’ll bugger it right up

Promoted as Champions of the National League last season, Cheltenham have begun their season impressively, after going behind against one of the pre-season favourites in Leyton Orient, they managed to draw level with just 15mins remaining and thus ensuring that they at least got a point on the board to begin the 2016/17 season.

Charlton Team News
With very few choices available for Russell Slade to pick from it’s hard to see where there might be changes… You’d expect to see Dillon Phillips making his debut against a side he spent last season with whilst Ezra Konsa should also be rewarded with his first start…

Brandon Hanlan is another who could double his appearances for the club after a cameo against Bury whilst I’m sure many fans will be hoping to be reacquainted with popular figure… Roger Johnson!!

Phillips
Konsa … Johnson … Pearce … Fox
Holmes … Crofts … Muldoon … Holmes-Dennis
Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction
As already mentioned our record in this competition has improved over recent seasons yet is still terrible… This’ll be the third time in the League Cup recently where we’ve visited an area which is close to the Welsh border, unfortunately a 1-0 defeat against Hereford and a 4-3 loss to Shrewsbury doesn’t give us fond memories of the area.

Will we win tomorrow…? It depends really if Russell Slade cares about it… Before the season you’d say that we’d mainly want to get out of the competition as quickly as possible yet following defeat against Bury you have to wonder now if it’s all change and if this is now an “easy” chance for Slade to win a first game with Charlton.

Pop Quiz
(1) Gary Johnson has already lost one Cup Final this season... What Silverware was it
(2) Cheltenham player with links to Charlton and Hastings United... Who is the Player
(3) Who did Akpo Sodje replace in the 82nd minute when we lost 4-3 against Shrewsbury Town

Thankfully I'm escaping this match... I'm off on my Honeymoon tomorrow which means you may miss my previews for Northampton and Shrewsbury...

If so I promise to be back here boring you to sleep ahead of Walsall

Comments

• 1-0 defeat
  • I'm expecting another humiliating defeat
  • Would like to go with:

Phillips
    Konsa
    Holmes Dennis
    Pearce
    Johnson
    Holmes
    Ba
    Crofts
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Hanlan

That's 6 changes to the starting line up. More than enough. I would also add in Thompson assuming he is the new guy in place of Ba to get them used to playing together.
  • edited August 2016
    Im going to this and I'm really looking forward to seeing our second team... Oh wait. We don't have a second team.
  • edited August 2016
    £21 takes the piss a bit for tickets
  • 1) was the Johnson cup against Bristol City managed by his son Lee
  • I ordered my ticket last Wednesday and still haven't received it.

Royal Mail at it again...!!!

Jackos on it instead of the season tickets.

Legs have gone - give it a bit more time.
  • I'm wondering if I can pay on the gate as I didn't get around to sorting tickets out. I'll give the ticket office a call in the morning and see. My 7 year old daughter has been bugging me about this since I mentioned to my wife that I'll probably pop along. I'm a little reticent, but I might bring her with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • jamescafc said:

£21 takes the piss a bit for tickets

Considering the U19&Student tickets are £7. You'd expect the Adult tickets for a cup game be somewhere around the £15 mark. But for £21, nah I'm out!
  • 21 pounds is a bit steep for a Mickey Mouse cup game.
  • edited August 2016

I'm wondering if I can pay on the gate as I didn't get around to sorting tickets out. I'll give the ticket office a call in the morning and see. My 7 year old daughter has been bugging me about this since I mentioned to my wife that I'll probably pop along. I'm a little reticent, but I might bring her with me.

You can definitely pay on the gate, it was on the Cheltenham O/S.

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/2016-17/cheltenham-town-mansfield-charlton-tickets-3229124.aspx
  • Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic
    League Cup – First Round

Introduction

Greetings from Cheltenham… Am clocking up the miles already this season, having enjoyed the Greater Manchester area on Saturday, its time now to move on to Cheltenham… Of course just down the road is the famous Cotswolds, little picturesque villages which were deservedly named as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, although not from Cheltenham this is pretty much Shakespeare land so don’t forget to give the locals hell for all those arduous English lessons.

For those of you who despair after Saturday simply remember one of the bards great quotes…

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, some have greatness thrust upon them, whilst others are simply cursed to spend forever doomed as Charlton fans

The Opposition

This Tuesday night sees the start of the League Cup, this Tuesday night (if our history is anything to go by) sees the end of the League Cup for another season… When the draw was made for the First Round last month we couldn’t have been given an easier tie which naturally means we’ll bugger it right up

Promoted as Champions of the National League last season, Cheltenham have begun their season impressively, after going behind against one of the pre-season favourites in Leyton Orient, they managed to draw level with just 15mins remaining and thus ensuring that they at least got a point on the board to begin the 2016/17 season.

Charlton Team News
    With very few choices available for Russell Slade to pick from it’s hard to see where there might be changes… You’d expect to see Dillon Phillips making his debut against a side he spent last season with whilst Ezra Konsa should also be rewarded with his first start…

Brandon Hanlan is another who could double his appearances for the club after a cameo against Bury whilst I’m sure many fans will be hoping to be reacquainted with popular figure… Roger Johnson!!

Phillips
    Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction
    As already mentioned our record in this competition has improved over recent seasons yet is still terrible… This’ll be the third time in the League Cup recently where we’ve visited an area which is close to the Welsh border, unfortunately a 1-0 defeat against Hereford and a 4-3 loss to Shrewsbury doesn’t give us fond memories of the area.

Will we win tomorrow…? It depends really if Russell Slade cares about it… Before the season you’d say that we’d mainly want to get out of the competition as quickly as possible yet following defeat against Bury you have to wonder now if it’s all change and if this is now an “easy” chance for Slade to win a first game with Charlton.

Pop Quiz
    (1) Gary Johnson has already lost one Cup Final this season... What Silverware was it
    (2) Cheltenham player with links to Charlton and Hastings United... Who is the Player
    (3) Who did Akpo Sodje replace in the 82nd minute when we lost 4-3 against Shrewsbury Town

Thankfully I'm escaping this match... I'm off on my Honeymoon tomorrow which means you may miss my previews for Northampton and Shrewsbury...

1) Johnson Cup vs Brizzle City
    2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue
  • If the so called first team can't muster up a shot against Bury the. What chance have the reserves against Cheltenham. 3-0 defeat.
  • Cheltenham Town v Charlton Athletic
    League Cup – First Round

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction

Pop Quiz

2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue
    3) Hang on I'll ask the Mrs...........she reckons it's Alex Stavrinou :wink:

• 1) Johnson Cup vs Brizzle City
    2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue

Pure guess work but Is 3 joe ???????, can't remember the surname. Signed from Carlisle and only lasted a year
  • edited August 2016

2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue

Pure guess work but Is 3 joe ???????, can't remember the surname. Signed from Carlisle and only lasted a year

I doubt it my wife is not normally wrong. Were you thinking of Anyinsah?
  • Oh please . . . I mean seriously, is anybody actually going to watch this dross? As my friends in the deep South would say "Are y'all batshit?"
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

Oh please . . . I mean seriously, is anybody actually going to watch this dross? As my friends in the deep South would say "Are y'all batshit?"

Yes and yes.
  • It's got to have been a few seasons now since we've gone out in the 1st round so we must be due one. It always amazes me how it's possible to go out of a cup competition 4 days into the season and how often we seem to do so.

Think this one could go to penalties if the U21's are mostly played. We're struggling for goals in the 1st team as it is so not sure where they'll come from with a young team out there.

Will be interesting to see how Muldoon does in the middle we're in desperate need of some legs and whether he's good enough to step in or just filling in through lack of squad depth.
  • I'm wondering if I can pay on the gate as I didn't get around to sorting tickets out. I'll give the ticket office a call in the morning and see. My 7 year old daughter has been bugging me about this since I mentioned to my wife that I'll probably pop along. I'm a little reticent, but I might bring her with me.

You can definitely pay on the gate, it was on the Cheltenham O/S.

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/2016-17/cheltenham-town-mansfield-charlton-tickets-3229124.aspx
    Thanks CE, I saw on their main ticket section of the site that they do allow walk ups (but some games are exempt), but couldn't find anything specifically related to this game.
  • 2-0, not to us
  • RedChaser said:

League Cup – First Round

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction

Pop Quiz

2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue
    Alex Stavrinou is the correct answer

Your missus is going to be banned from this quiz soon she's too smart and she's showing everyone up!!
  • Will we be at the races? or fall at the first hurdle?
  • Out on pens
  • New ground for me,just hoping it's a better performance than the utter crap I witnessed on Saturday.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2016
    2-0 Cheltenham which will likely show how far up stream without a paddle the current Charlton team / squad is. Duchatelet gets to see how the experiment may fare next season.

Good luck to all those Charlton supporters attending.
  • RedChaser said:

League Cup – First Round

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction

Pop Quiz

2) Harry Pell
    3) I don't have a clue
    Alex Stavrinou is the correct answer

Your missus is going to be banned from this quiz soon she's too smart and she's showing everyone up!!
    She sends her regards and our best wishes for the future, enjoy the honeymoon.