Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    FTSE climbing again - all seems a bit mad.
  • Options
    its now down on the day having been +5%. Mentioned it yday, this is the new market norm for the forseeable
  • Options
    its now down on the day having been +5%. Mentioned it yday, this is the new market norm for the forseeable
    Remember the slightly tongue-in -cheek suggestion I made yesterday the market would fall 11% today?

• Options
    Goldman are now exhorting people (aka mugs) to buy gold. Now. 

They are utterly shameless...
    The best time to buy gold is a few years ago or in a few years' time.  It's never now. 
  • Options
    Remember the slightly tongue-in -cheek suggestion I made yesterday the market would fall 11% today?

Finished up 4.45% at close. 
  • Options
    Dow Jones finished 2.39% up, but dropped sharply in the last half hour. 
  • Options
    Just a comment on something said earlier. NYSE did not close to reduce the hysteria in the market after 9.11. It closed because it was just a few blocks from the WTC. The was no power, no comms and the area was evacuated. The whole area was covered in debris. I believe that had to run cables at ground level to get everything up and running while the infrastructure was repaired. 

The other exchanges closed as it viewed as almost impossible to run an orderly market without NYSE up. If the attacks had all hit Washington, I’m pretty sure they would have reopened next day. 
  • Options
    2×£25 from Ernie today. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Banks not paying any dividends until further notice.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    2×£25 from Ernie today. 
    Same here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 x £25 for me too, £75 for my Mum, £50 for the Mother in Law.
  • Options
    Banks not pay any dividends until further notice.
    Bastards.

That's £38 I'll never get back.
  • Options
    2 x £25 for me too, £75 for my Mum, £50 for the Mother in Law.
    £75 for mother.......AND she still eats her grand children's Easter eggs...?  I'll be having words with her.
  • Options
    Sooooo.....has anybody panic-bought or sold in this period?

I've kept hold of all my funds, but have just written off my potential purchase of a new yacht and flat overlooking the Valley. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I've kept hold of all my funds, but have just written off my potential purchase of a new yacht and flat overlooking the Valley. 
    Since the building of the Jimmy Stand, you only get to see half the pitch. Don’t pay too much for it, when you do.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Apologies if this has been covered before, but if you wanted to open a bank account and deposit a sum that would be covered by the Government's 80k guarantee, which would you choose at the moment, other than HSBC? I was going to try Santander, but my wife raised doubts. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Apologies if this has been covered before, but if you wanted to open a bank account and deposit a sum that would be covered by the Government's 80k guarantee, which would you choose at the moment, other than HSBC? I was going to try Santander, but my wife raised doubts. 
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/
  • Options
    mendonca said:

I asked my FA if it might be cashing up all the investments and sticking the funds in the bank back in Feb, but he said to play the long game. Possibly regretting listening now.
  • Options
    The problem I am finding is that nobody knows how long the long game is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    The problem I am finding is that nobody knows how long the long game is.
    Easy.

If you work in the finance industry and desperate to get people trading again to earn your commission, you will say this will all be over by the summer and things will be back to normal soon thereafter.

If you are looking at events through anyone elses' eyes, you will see hundreds of thousands of people dying, unemployment soaring, perfectly profitable companies facing imminent bankruptcy, economies facing collapse with no obvious ways of ending the lockdowns and millions facing financial ruin. This could be a very long game. 

• Options
    edited April 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/
    Thanks CE. Followed that advice, and sorted now.  :smile:
  • Options
    It's a couple of weeks since markets hit low points, and they are now about 8-10% above, despite a lacklustre day today. Movements in the last week have also been far less violent. So inevitably we can ask, did markets find a floor? 

I'm not counting on it myself. I'm in the camp that says they've gone too low to sell, and not low enough to buy. But since I'm a potential buyer, because I hold cash (more by accident than design), I've got a list of funds I would buy, and set target buy prices for them, which are generally 5% below their lowest this year (and then 10%). I managed to make a profit already from funds I bought near the bottom, most notably on Axa Framlington Biotech, which is up 13% since I bought on 17 March, but I am not talking big numbers here. I like to talk the talk, but my single biggest holding is still Premium Bonds :-)

Don't forget I'm holding all your index predictors for 31 July :-) Right now most of them (including mine) look optimistic, but let's see.
  • Options
    I had an update from JPM this afternoon. I usually go to their quarterly "Guide to the markets" which is very informative & come away with a great pack of stats & figures. Due to lockdown they just emailed it. Good reading but hard to follow when you don't have a speaker to go through it all.

Even though they have updated it to 30th March it's hard to take seriously some of the figures as we all know that things are going to get worse before they get better.

It's a shame I can't post some of the charts they include in the pack, but picking out just 2 it shows the purchasing managers index showing less than 50 for virtually all countries (above 50 & it implies companies think things are on the up, below 50 & a recession is looming) and how GDP this year around the world is expected to be minus 2%-3%.

The other thing is how short timewise the falls (or bear markets) are compared to the rises (bull markets). And that usually a bull market will outperform a bear market in terms of %'s gained & lost.

So......hang on in there & I'm sure the markets will right themselves & the pain will be short lived. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Bastards.

So in our Capitalist Democracy, the Government once again tells Privately owned businesses what to do.  I have lost around £2000 of retirement income from the no dividend policy. An equally Lloyds shares fell another 4p taking another £3500 off my share value, so well over £60,000 down.  We will now have to lend money that will never be repaid in some cases and give holidays on mortgage, credit card and loan repayments. Oh and don’t forget the £500 interest free overdrafts. How come M&S don’t have to give out free pants, or Wetherspoon free Beer.  Holding shares in a UK bank is the worst thing I have ever done, we are just here to hold up this country , at any time of crisis. 

Yes, I appreciate these are trying times. But, I paid for the HBOS crisis, I paid to prop up the economy through PPI, and now this...... Lloyds Bank appears to be the Government's rainy day piggy bank, have a dip in for any crisis.  

• Options
    It's a couple of weeks since markets hit low points, and they are now about 8-10% above, despite a lacklustre day today. Movements in the last week have also been far less violent. So inevitably we can ask, did markets find a floor? 

I'm not counting on it myself. I'm in the camp that says they've gone too low to sell, and not low enough to buy. But since I'm a potential buyer, because I hold cash (more by accident than design), I've got a list of funds I would buy, and set target buy prices for them, which are generally 5% below their lowest this year (and then 10%). I managed to make a profit already from funds I bought near the bottom, most notably on Axa Framlington Biotech, which is up 13% since I bought on 17 March, but I am not talking big numbers here. I like to talk the talk, but my single biggest holding is still Premium Bonds :-)

Don't forget I'm holding all your index predictors for 31 July :-) Right now most of them (including mine) look optimistic, but let's see.
    Mine was 5300 (page 55). Still think that might be in the right area after the final huge collapse that must be due soon and a minor rebound over the coming months. 
  • Options
    I had an update from JPM this afternoon. I usually go to their quarterly "Guide to the markets" which is very informative & come away with a great pack of stats & figures. Due to lockdown they just emailed it. Good reading but hard to follow when you don't have a speaker to go through it all.

Even though they have updated it to 30th March it's hard to take seriously some of the figures as we all know that things are going to get worse before they get better.

It's a shame I can't post some of the charts they include in the pack, but picking out just 2 it shows the purchasing managers index showing less than 50 for virtually all countries (above 50 & it implies companies think things are on the up, below 50 & a recession is looming) and how GDP this year around the world is expected to be minus 2%-3%.

The other thing is how short timewise the falls (or bear markets) are compared to the rises (bull markets). And that usually a bull market will outperform a bear market in terms of %'s gained & lost.

So......hang on in there & I'm sure the markets will right themselves & the pain will be short lived. 
    I love your optimism. I honestly do!  
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Bastards.

So in our Capitalist Democracy, the Government once again tells Privately owned businesses what to do.  I have lost around £2000 of retirement income from the no dividend policy. An equally Lloyds shares fell another 4p taking another £3500 off my share value, so well over £60,000 down.  We will now have to lend money that will never be repaid in some cases and give holidays on mortgage, credit card and loan repayments. Oh and don’t forget the £500 interest free overdrafts. How come M&S don’t have to give out free pants, or Wetherspoon free Beer.  Holding shares in a UK bank is the worst thing I have ever done, we are just here to hold up this country , at any time of crisis. 

Yes, I appreciate these are trying times. But, I paid for the HBOS crisis, I paid to prop up the economy through PPI, and now this...... Lloyds Bank appears to be the Government's rainy day piggy bank, have a dip in for any crisis.  

Sorry Raphie, I know you used to work for them but that's no reason why you should continue to hold on them. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that holding individual shares is a very risky strategy. If I were you I'd bite the bullet & sell them, putting the money into a more balanced portfolio. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Bastards.

Sorry Raphie, I know you used to work for them but that's no reason why you should continue to hold on them. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that holding individual shares is a very risky strategy. If I were you I'd bite the bullet & sell them, putting the money into a more balanced portfolio. 
    I've got a load of Lloyds shares and yes maybe I'll consider selling some if they double back to the 60p range, but I'll not be selling at an all time low.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Bastards.

I've got a load of Lloyds shares and yes maybe I'll consider selling some if they double back to the 60p range, but I'll not be selling at an all time low.
    They might be at an all time low today........but come Monday that all time low could be even lower.