Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• I have a holding of Fidelity Global Special Situations. Looking to split the holding up into other global funds. Any funds I should be looking at? 
    Problem with global funds is that if they want to measure against a benchmark then they will usually invest heavily in the US (seeing as the MSCI World Index is 60%+ in US equities) and therefore you are putting a lot of money in just 1 country. 
  • Marlborough Special Situations is worth looking at
  • Premium bonds,

Blank for me, £100 for Mrs R7L and £250 for youngest, eldest has now sold all hers. Father in law on a cruise so don't know his yet.
  • £175 for me, £225 for the wife, £100 for my Mum. Happy days.
  • £350 for me, meaning £1,200 for the 6 months from January, with no individual prize bigger than £100. 
    Not a bad return
  • My account is still showing May's winnings. Even going onto the "prize checker" site it's not showing anything for June (for me). 

Had this last month & it took until mid morning before mine updated. 

Grrrr. 
  • £50 for me & the same for herself.
  • £0 for me, £100 for Margaret
  • My account is still showing May's winnings. Even going onto the "prize checker" site it's not showing anything for June (for me). 

Had this last month & it took until mid morning before mine updated. 

Grrrr. 
    Do you not use the app on your phone/iPad? It's usually available on there just after midnight.
  • First win for a few months…3 x £50 and 2 x £25!
  • Sponsored links:

• 2x£25, 1x£50 = £100 🤓
  • My lad works for NHS and they have a salary sacrifice car leasing scheme. Not sure how this works or affects his pension long term 
    does anybody use this scheme or know how it works. Maybe our pension expert golfie 

He gets a new Tesla for 3 years with everything covered except paying for electric. So it’s insured any thing breaks or needs new tyres it’s covered for 3 years 
    he is going to pay £330 a month but has a reduction of 
    £70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    so his worried about money coming out his pension so his thinking can he top his  NHS pension up or invest in a private pension to make up what his losing. 
    Not sure how this works really has anyone else used this scheme or knows how it works. 
  • £25 this month.

I've got £22k in premium bonds. 

So far this year.

Jan  Nil
    Feb  100
    Mar. 150
    Apr. 200
    May. Nil
    Jun. 25.

It will be interesting  (to me at least )  how this will compare at the end of the year to the interest rates on savings that we're available at the start of the year. 
  • After no wins this year so far, I got £200. Hurrah!
  • My lad works for NHS and they have a salary sacrifice car leasing scheme. Not sure how this works or affects his pension long term 
    does anybody use this scheme or know how it works. Maybe our pension expert golfie 

He gets a new Tesla for 3 years with everything covered except paying for electric. So it’s insured any thing breaks or needs new tyres it’s covered for 3 years 
    £70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    so his worried about money coming out his pension so his thinking can he top his  NHS pension up or invest in a private pension to make up what his losing. 
    Not sure how this works really has anyone else used this scheme or knows how it works. 
    He'd need to check the NHS's specific scheme but I think you are saying that he is paying £72 less into pension? That being the case then it looks as if the car purchase by salary sacrifice is lowering his salary (the whole point of salary sacrifice) and therefore it could well have an effect on the pension.

I.e. say he earns £50k, if he's salary sacrificing £4k a year for the car his new salary is £46k.

We have a similar scheme at work, it's a cost effective way of buying a new, electric car, although as our pensions are money purchase it makes no difference really, you can chose what you pay in.
  • edited June 2023
    Our son has been left a few £ in my mums will. Any suggestions of the best place for it to sit for 15 years ?.  I'm thinking PBs, If my stepdad gets his way itl sit in a bank account and do nothing, any info is very much appreciated 🙌 
  • edited June 2023
    shine166 said:
    Our son has been left a few £ in my mums will. Any suggestions of the best place for it to sit for 15 years ?.  I'm thinking PBs, If my stepdad gets his way itl sit in a bank account and do nothing, any info is very much appreciated 🙌 
    Age of child? PB's won't be best, how much approximately?
  • £150 for me, £50 for Mrs Chaz and zilch for Junior this month on PBs.
  • £25 for each of us this time. 

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    Never heard of “Salary Sacrifice” as a tool to purchase a car. I used this to pay into my pension. This meant in theory the reduction in my salary of £1000 per month.  This was money I was paying 40% tax on, so went into my pension, Tax Free and  I also paid no NI which was about 2%. On top of that because my employer (Lloyds paid no NI on the £1000) that saved them 13% , so they gave me a 5% top up on my pension contribution. 

So instead of taking home £580 each month, My pension contribution was £1070. 

Obviously NHS pay a percentage of salary as pension. As salary sacrifice lowers your salary, then the % contribution is reduced in line. 

• Sponsored links:

• £100 for me this month.

Not bad but will have to pull it all out in a few months time when I move. Just hope in the next 3 months I can get a 4 figure win. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    shine166 said:
    He's 4 and it's 5k
  • shine166 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shine166 said:
    He's 4 and it's 5k
    Junior ISA. Stocks & shares one. Not cash for 15 years fgs.

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    Not sure on scheme but i think the £330 per month for a Tesla seems excellent value.
  • Just the £50 this month on the PBs (2 x £25). 
  • edited June 2023
    My lad works for NHS and they have a salary sacrifice car leasing scheme. Not sure how this works or affects his pension long term 

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    Assuming he is in the 2015 scheme then it's a "Career Average" scheme based on 1/54th of annual salary. % of contributions based on salary so I'm also assuming the £72 less in pension is what he is "gaining" by doing Salary Sacrifice. Long term he wont be that worse off I wouldn't suggest him paying extra in to make up this shortfall. 
  • shine166 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shine166 said:
    He's 4 and it's 5k
    Junior ISA. Stocks & shares one. Not cash for 15 years fgs.
    Yeah 100% agree on not cash. Cheers for the suggestions, will pass them on and hope they look into it. 

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    Assuming he is in the 2015 scheme then it's a "Career Average" scheme based on 1/54th of annual salary. % of contributions based on salary so I'm also assuming the £72 less in pension is what he is "gaining" by doing Salary Sacrifice. Long term he wont be that worse off I wouldn't suggest him paying extra in to make up this shortfall. 
    His in the newest scheme been in it for about 2 years.Thanks for your answer. 
  • shine166 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shine166 said:
    He's 4 and it's 5k
    premium bonds no good, the win rate on £5k is vanishingly small, as Golfie has said, Junior ISA is the way to go (Stocks and shares) open one up and put £1k a month in for 5 months just to spread the risk a little, but over 15 years probably doesn't make a lot of odds. 

If you're feeling generous you can add a bit each month to it, maximum from memory is £9k per annum.

Don't hold it in cash, it'll just go backwards in 15 years.
  • Friends, I hope you've all noticed that the news earlier this week on UK inflation has sparked a big upward twist in savings rate offers.

On a one year fix you can now get 5.1% with Secure Trust, and 5.05% with Charter savings bank. The latter will give you 4.98% if you'd like to at least get the  interest monthly. 

On instant access HSBC went up a full half% point to 4% (albeit it's capped at £10k and you have to have a current account.)

Secure Trust offer 3.8%. Others are bound to react. 

If you want to stay on top of all this you deffo want to stop by the MoneySavingExpert forum that has nicked the title of this thread :)

And this now should give the older/more cautious investor pause for thought. If you stay in equity markets, rathter than take up one of those fixed rate deals, it means that you are confident that this time next year the FTSE250 will be above 20,100. A fair bit above it, in order to justify the risk. Do you believe that? Well do yer, punk? You feelin' lucky?  :D
    I'm not feeling very lucky right now. I'd like a quieter life on that front. But then again, I'm a grumpy old git.