Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Just £25 for Mr F this month
  • £550 here (best ever month by miles) : 1 x £500, 2 x £25. Nothing for Margaret.
  • My modest objective for Ernie is that he delivers better than a cash savings account over the year. So 4.0% would be nice. After 4 months, and thanks to my windfall this month, he is on course for 5.9%, but we all know how Ernie claws back gains from uppity mug punters... ;)  

• This lucky winner, 4th from the bottom, shows that there's hope for us all.
    ...and the lucky bugger is living it up in Oz too! 

• meldrew66 said:

This lucky winner, 4th from the bottom, shows that there's hope for us all.

Makes you wonder if they even know that they've won.
    Makes me laugh that the winning bond was part of a £4 "batch" bought in July 1976. That's the sort of thing that parents/grandparents used to do when new children arrived.

• edited April 2023
    meldrew66 said:

Makes me laugh that the winning bond was part of a £4 "batch" bought in July 1976. That's the sort of thing that parents/grandparents used to do when new children arrived.

Yep. Dad & mum got us £5 bonds each when we were kids back in the late 70s.  Don’t think we’ve ever won anything on those, but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
  • edited April 2023
    TelMc32 said:
    meldrew66 said:

Yep. Dad & mum got us £5 bonds each when we were kids back in the late 70s.  Don’t think we’ve ever won anything on those, but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
    I’ve got £5 back from when I was born. Found the details and put them in my app. I know I haven’t won anything on it.
  • I have just discovered 3 separate £1 bonds from 1952 and 1953 if I remembered correctly 1c was for my birth, 1 for my christening and the other for my first Christmas or birthday. After 70 years none of them had won a penny, but then in an envelope for my kids to discover when they are clearing the house, by that time perhaps one may have come up trumps.
  • Two times £100 this month 
    Best yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Matched my best result this month - nothing at all
  • https://youtu.be/q1EcrlFiwP4

Whilst not wishing to piss on the PB parade ….

• edited April 2023
    holyjo said:
    https://youtu.be/q1EcrlFiwP4

Whilst not wishing to piss on the PB parade ….

Hmmmm, a financial adviser saying that people are fools putting money in PSBs…….now why oh why would he want to post a video about that, I wonder! Lol. FWIW, I’m pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of ‘investors’ with money held in PSBs know that PSBs are highly unlikely to provide a return equivalent to what could be earned in a low-risk, interest bearing savings account. Bloody kill-joy!
  • TBF I agree with a lot of what he says.

But as someone who maxes out their ISA and is a higher rate tax payer they still work for me, just. But a week ago I advised my eldest daughter to cash hers in, she doesn't have the maximum and is a 20% tax payer who doesn't max out her ISA it no longer makes any financial sense. She's cashed them in bar £100 just to keep her NS&I account open.

Have zero chance of getting my wife to cash hers in, she's addicted to them! My youngest has almost the maximum and seems to do pretty well on them all things considered.
  • Out of interest I shall post on here my monthly premium bonds return for this year.
    I have 22k of premium bonds and so far this year my returns are as follows. 

January.  Nil
    February   £50
    March £150
    April £200

At the end of the year I shall add up all my winnings and divide by 22k just to see what money I make as a %.

Personally I reckon my returns will be on a par with most other saving schemes out there.
    Plus of course I might even win the big one 😁
  • edited April 2023
    Out of interest I shall post on here my monthly premium bonds return for this year.

January.  Nil
    February   £50
    March £150
    April £200

At the end of the year I shall add up all my winnings and divide by 22k just to see what money I make as a %.

Personally I reckon my returns will be on a par with most other saving schemes out there.
    With odds of 24000-1 of winning a single prize, I’d say your return this year is not too shabby.
  • Out of interest I shall post on here my monthly premium bonds return for this year.

January.  Nil
    February   £50
    March £150
    April £200

You're doing well so far on £22k.

It will be interesting to see how the year plays out. My wife if she continues her run is on for 6.6% return this calendar year.
  • …and don’t forget the winnings are tax free.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    TBF I agree with a lot of what he says.

But as someone who maxes out their ISA and is a higher rate tax payer they still work for me, just. But a week ago I advised my eldest daughter to cash hers in, she doesn't have the maximum and is a 20% tax payer who doesn't max out her ISA it no longer makes any financial sense. She's cashed them in bar £100 just to keep her NS&I account open.

Have zero chance of getting my wife to cash hers in, she's addicted to them! My youngest has almost the maximum and seems to do pretty well on them all things considered.
    When you state 'cash the Isa' in, for what purpose exactly? @Rob7Lee
  • mendonca said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Pretty sure he means cash in the PB's 
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    mendonca said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Pretty sure he means cash in the PB's 
    Yes, premium bonds,
  • Rob7Lee said:

I'm in a similar position.  I'm fortunate (unfortunate?) my pensions take me into the higher tax bracket so I max out on ISAs and PBs to minimise the 40% tax burden.  My retrurn last calendar year was around 1.3% on the PBs - roughly inline with the interest rate on most instant access accounts - at the time.  Hoping for more this year - but the dream of an outside chance of a big win is always there with PB's...
  • Chances of winning £1million: 1:59 Billion   :)   £100k 1; 1,877,995,285  :o £50k. 1: 639,317,516. With water meters about to be installed, I prefer 3.55% instant access, or 4.55% 1 year fixed.

• Chances of winning £1million: 1:59 Billion   :)   £100k 1; 1,877,995,285  :o £50k. 1: 639,317,516. With water meters about to be installed, I prefer 3.55% instant access, or 4.55% 1 year fixed.

Your 3.55% is 2.13% for a higher tax rate (40%) investor, particularly as there is no savings allowance now. This is pretty much what a median investor is likely to earn from premium bonds. would be 2.84% for lower raate tax payer although there is still a £500 savings allowance before any tax applied. 
  • I am not in that bracket. Last year, I received £750 from 50k. Now interest rates have shifted, allowing for 20% above the £1k limit, there is a dilemma. That amount will return £1775 at 3.55 minus tax = 1620, or £2275 @ 4.55% minus tax = £2020 (if my sums are right). 750 + hope or 1620/2020. Have the tax allowances changed?
    My estimate is based on the first £1000 being tax free.
  • edited April 2023
    I see PB's as a tax-free savings account, especially if you are a 40% taxpayer.  Backed by the Government so no worries about losing it or trying to find another Bank to hoard your cash up to  the £85k compo limit. Instant access (within reason) & chance of getting a bigger return than the usual interest rate. Mines there as I sold a property last October & knew I would be buying one later this year. Used up my ISA Allowance so best place for £50k that I needed again within 12 months. 
    It’s been suggested for nearly a year now but Andrew Bailey was reported as saying last week, in the wake of SVB and Cr Suisse in recent weeks, that the limit needs to change especially given that it is c.£200k in the US now. Hopefully that will make it easier for people to manage their savings in future. 
  • edited April 2023
    TelMc32 said:
    I see PB's as a tax-free savings account, especially if you are a 40% taxpayer.  Backed by the Government so no worries about losing it or trying to find another Bank to hoard your cash up to  the £85k compo limit. Instant access (within reason) & chance of getting a bigger return than the usual interest rate. Mines there as I sold a property last October & knew I would be buying one later this year. Used up my ISA Allowance so best place for £50k that I needed again within 12 months. 
    It’s been suggested for nearly a year now but Andrew Bailey was reported as saying last week, in the wake of SVB and Cr Suisse in recent weeks, that the limit needs to change especially given that it is c.£200k in the US now. Hopefully that will make it easier for people to manage their savings in future. 
    I've always said that the limit is meaningless as UK Governments do their utmost to stop Banks going under -  Northern rock for example.

Woolworths, Debenhams etc. Can all go to the wall but a high street UK bank will always be safe. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    I've always said that the limit is meaningless as UK Governments do their utmost to stop Banks going under -  Northern rock for example.

Woolworths, Debenhams etc. Can all go to the wall but a high street UK bank will always be safe. 
    I agree @golfaddick but we’ve seen the hoops people go through to open up accounts with different banks should they be fortunate enough to have more than the current limit. In reality, these additional accounts are probably more of a pain for the “secondary” banks, as there is little to no extra business they can do with these clients. 
  • 1 @ £100 for me & 1 @ £25 for herself from PBs this month.