Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• seth plum said:
    I don’t understand that thing about free markets finding their own levels.
    Surely if a bank goes bust that’s it, just as if the Barbers shop down the road goes bust.
    How come we bail banks out?
    We have to bail the banks out to protect the thousands of people that use them.
    Imagine if you retire and get a lump sum of say 70k.
    You put this in your bank and then the bank goes bust.
    How would you feel if you lost the lot.
    That's why our savings are protected by the government up to 85k per bank.
    Bailing the banks out is more to do with protecting the savings of thousands of ordinary people. 
    It has to continue surely. 
    But you can put your savings in many banks using the £85k compo limit & be fully protected. 

I would also go as far to say that if you have to use all the high street banks to do this then you seriously need to look at putting the money into investments rather than on deposit. 

Will Self once said on Question Time that savers should PAY banks to hold their money rather than banks pay savers interest. They are doing you a service holdng it safe & secure.
  • seth plum said:
    I don’t understand that thing about free markets finding their own levels.
    Surely if a bank goes bust that’s it, just as if the Barbers shop down the road goes bust.
    How come we bail banks out?
    I agree. Banks are Plc's and therefore should stand & fall like any other Plc. If not they should all be converted back into Building Societies. 
  • Wow.....just wow.

His own special scheme that doesn't impact on his LTA. 

Shame the masses don't really understand it all as it should really bring him down as Labour Leader. Not forgetting it was him that inserted into the Labour manifesto before the 2019 GE that they would have a 2nd referendum on Brexit.....which was the main reason why Labour lost last time out. 

Bloke keeps shooting himself in the foot. 
    "Man shoots himself in the foot by becoming extremely successful lawyer years before probably becoming PM"
    No.....shoots himself in the foot by publicly saying (after last weeks Budget) that the Chancellor was targeting the rich for "tax giveaways" when he had precisely the same thing. In fact, he has his own personal pension scheme that falls outside of the LTA rules. 

hypocrisy at its finest. 
    it's not his own personal one though is it? It's for any former chief prosecutor.
    The link on here earlier shows it was his own scheme. It wasn't called "The DPP Scheme" it was the "Kier Starmer" scheme......with just 1 member ! Opened for him personally when he became DPP and then closed once he left - all under an Act of Parliament. Any funds in it do not count towards the LTA.  Nice if you can get it. 
    Starmer wanted the removal of the cap limited to doctors because there is such a shortage. In the same way as the scheme was introduced for the judiciary because of the number that were leaving.

It's also "nice" though, as you put it, though if you can get away with paying an effective tax rate of 22% on earnings of £4.76m over a three year period. Means you can afford to have a special electricity line put in to heat your swimming pool. You also don't have to worry about the fact that you and your Government has left the NHS so underfunded that you have to wait three months to have an urgent operation to remove a cancerous lump - because you can afford to see the very same NHS doctor privately within a week. Amazing how these doctors can do these ops privately but can't do them as overtime working for the NHS isn't it. I expect they were all fully trained by the likes of BUPA too.

And if you happen to be a banker, as Sunak was, you can not only avail yourself of the removal of the pension cap but, if your bank happens to go bust, then the Government or another bank will bail you out - and you still get paid your bonus days after the bank has been declared insolvent. As you say "nice if you can get it". 

Can we please keep these sort of comments off of this thread. It is purely a political comment and takes away from what is generally a very good savings and investment thread. 
  • Failing banks can lead to more failing banks and big recessions. At the time, it was thought the run on Northern Rock was a one off and fixed with nationalisation, but the justified drop in confidence and extra scrutiny lead to other bank failures such as Alliance and Leicester and the financial crisis went global, with awfully run beasts like RBS having to be bailed out as well.
    I would not be confident that this time it stops with SVB and Credit Suisse. Over time, bankers get blindsided by their massive annual bonuses and are a little less interested in corporate governance.
  • I’m more confident now on the resilience of the UK banks, but hopefully this also means a rethink of loosening the controls that Hunt outlined as part of his Edinburgh reforms.
  • TelMc32 said:
    I’m more confident now on the resilience of the UK banks, but hopefully this also means a rethink of loosening the controls that Hunt outlined as part of his Edinburgh reforms.
    What are people's opinion on buying UK banking shares .... I have some Lloyds and Barclays...both down significantly...is it a good time to buy and hold...!?
  • CafcWest said:
    TelMc32 said:
    I’m more confident now on the resilience of the UK banks, but hopefully this also means a rethink of loosening the controls that Hunt outlined as part of his Edinburgh reforms.
    What are people's opinion on buying UK banking shares .... I have some Lloyds and Barclays...both down significantly...is it a good time to buy and hold...!?
    I finally got rid of my Barclays shares a few years ago and still hold Lloyds.
    Neither have performed well in roughly 20 years and I'm not optimistic that is about to change.
    I'd only buy now with a view to selling reasonably quickly (ie less than 3 years) if and when the price picks up when the latest banking "crisis" lifts - if it does.
    Personally, I'm not buying either ever again.
  • I’d agree with CE. We’ve both been stung I think from shares we bought through SAYE Schemes at work. I have Barclays shares from when they were £8, so I won’t have a Capital Gains issue when I sell them at least 🫣
  • CafcWest said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Terry Smith of Fundsmith wrote a pretty damning fact based piece for the FT last week which adds up to a big fat “no”. I’ll post it later if you are interested. I bought some Citibank last year for the income, but wouldnt have done if he’d published that article earlier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I've bought and sold bank shares quite a bit the past 10-15 years and done very well, I'm not buying any now, make of that what you will!
  • I bought shares in Charlton years ago and lost the lot.
    I bought shares in a company called RM2 and lost the lot.
    I currently have 5k shares in Lloyds bought at 73p. Currently trading around 46p.
    However I invest my money going forward Shares will not be a part of it.
  • CafcWest said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Terry Smith of Fundsmith wrote a pretty damning fact based piece for the FT last week which adds up to a big fat “no”. I’ll post it later if you are interested. I bought some Citibank last year for the income, but wouldnt have done if he’d published that article earlier. 
    If I put money in collective funds, Terry Smith is right up there.  He's not been keen on banks for a long time.

However, I dipped back into banks in the last week.  Definitely high risk, particularly given I'm the one who's been saying that a European banking crisis is only a matter of time, with Deutsche inevitably being fingered right now.  

I just think that, like last time, there will be winners and losers.  HSBC has no doubt picked up some great assets very cheaply with SVB.  Assuming it has its liquidity and interest rate risk better managed, it will do well out of that.  Ditto JPMC.  Just have to stay nimble, no long term bets here.
  • TelMc32 said:
    I’d agree with CE. We’ve both been stung I think from shares we bought through SAYE Schemes at work. I have Barclays shares from when they were £8, so I won’t have a Capital Gains issue when I sell them at least 🫣
    Sorry for quoting myself, but one thing to add as an upside is the dividend. Barclays have been paying substantially for my last few holidays since the dividend was restored. Mind you, if the share price went back to £8, I could buy my own place in the sun ☀️ 
  • Zynex shares tanking again today, down 22%
    if you want a short term play, might be worth buying here. big gap that will need filling
    Consider the gap filled. Thanks for playing. 
  • I have received this information from St James Place Investment Market Update - 30 March 2023. Does this mean that we no longer have to panic about our investments? This might seem a silly question to those in the know.

• Solidgone said:
    I have received this information from St James Place Investment Market Update - 30 March 2023. Does this mean that we no longer have to panic about our investments? This might seem a silly question to those in the know.

The possible panic regarding banks collapsing seems to have been averted for the time being, but the SJP note simply shows how various indexes have moved in the previous 24 hours or so, and while positive is of no significance.
    There's still a lot of noise about an impending stock market crash, but despite all the claims and opinions, nobody really knows. 
  • edited March 2023
    Markets around the world have all increased this week by around 2%-3%. Probably a combination of thoughts that the banking "crisis" was overdone & also that interest rates will reduce sooner than expected. 
  • 1 @ £50 for me & the same for herself, this month.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    1x £25 for me, 1 x £50 for Mrs R7L and £50 for youngest daughter. Father in laws to follow - EDIT £25.
  • 2x£50 not as good as last month but better than funk all

• This lucky winner, 4th from the bottom, shows that there's hope for us all.
  • £250.00 for me this month after a blank last month
  • 4th month in a row of F all here
  • £125 (£25, £100) for Mrs Chaz and £200 (£25x2, £50, £100) for junior and a big fat bugger all for me. Shouldn’t complain as been on quite reasonable run recently but….
  • SFA por moi.
  • £100 for me, £75 for the better half, £100 for my Mum
  • £150 for me. £100 & 2x£25. 

That will pay for Easter.
  • 1 x £50 for me...