Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    I've just put a chunk on a 12m fix at 5.25% with bank of Egypt via raisin, fscs protected. I fully expect rates to bump up again this month, so I'm keeping a fair bit back, but that was too good to let past. 
    I like my fixed term deposits staged so they mature at regular intervals.
  • Options
    My lad works for NHS and they have a salary sacrifice car leasing scheme. Not sure how this works or affects his pension long term 
    does anybody use this scheme or know how it works. Maybe our pension expert golfie 

He gets a new Tesla for 3 years with everything covered except paying for electric. So it’s insured any thing breaks or needs new tyres it’s covered for 3 years 
    he is going to pay £330 a month but has a reduction of 
    £70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    so his worried about money coming out his pension so his thinking can he top his  NHS pension up or invest in a private pension to make up what his losing. 
    Not sure how this works really has anyone else used this scheme or knows how it works. 
    Never heard of “Salary Sacrifice” as a tool to purchase a car. I used this to pay into my pension. This meant in theory the reduction in my salary of £1000 per month.  This was money I was paying 40% tax on, so went into my pension, Tax Free and  I also paid no NI which was about 2%. On top of that because my employer (Lloyds paid no NI on the £1000) that saved them 13% , so they gave me a 5% top up on my pension contribution. 

So instead of taking home £580 each month, My pension contribution was £1070. 

Obviously NHS pay a percentage of salary as pension. As salary sacrifice lowers your salary, then the % contribution is reduced in line. 

Now you know why so many people are buying them.  I must be just about the only person I know who owns a company that hasn't bought an electric car - it's effectively a 62% discount on net income (1/1.2 VAT * 0.75 Corp Tax *(1-0.3835) Dividend Tax.  Makes those Porsche Taycans look a bit more reasonable with that kind of money off.  As i understand it, that benefit was extended to company car schemes, hence the offer your son is getting.

A friend of mine in the car trade said that the resale values are horrendous - there's such a poor demand for second hand EVs.  But still not so bad that the discount makes it a worthwhile new purchase.

I think it's an outrageous waste of tax payers money and, yet again with Green subsidies, the poor subsidising the rich.  But there you go. 
  • Options
    My lad works for NHS and they have a salary sacrifice car leasing scheme. Not sure how this works or affects his pension long term 
    does anybody use this scheme or know how it works. Maybe our pension expert golfie 

He gets a new Tesla for 3 years with everything covered except paying for electric. So it’s insured any thing breaks or needs new tyres it’s covered for 3 years 
    £70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    so his worried about money coming out his pension so his thinking can he top his  NHS pension up or invest in a private pension to make up what his losing. 
    Not sure how this works really has anyone else used this scheme or knows how it works. 
    Never heard of “Salary Sacrifice” as a tool to purchase a car. I used this to pay into my pension. This meant in theory the reduction in my salary of £1000 per month.  This was money I was paying 40% tax on, so went into my pension, Tax Free and  I also paid no NI which was about 2%. On top of that because my employer (Lloyds paid no NI on the £1000) that saved them 13% , so they gave me a 5% top up on my pension contribution. 

Obviously NHS pay a percentage of salary as pension. As salary sacrifice lowers your salary, then the % contribution is reduced in line. 

Now you know why so many people are buying them.  I must be just about the only person I know who owns a company that hasn't bought an electric car - it's effectively a 62% discount on net income (1/1.2 VAT * 0.75 Corp Tax *(1-0.3835) Dividend Tax.  Makes those Porsche Taycans look a bit more reasonable with that kind of money off.  As i understand it, that benefit was extended to company car schemes, hence the offer your son is getting.

A friend of mine in the car trade said that the resale values are horrendous - there's such a poor demand for second hand EVs.  But still not so bad that the discount makes it a worthwhile new purchase.

I think it's an outrageous waste of tax payers money and, yet again with Green subsidies, the poor subsidising the rich.  But there you go. 
    They are very reasonable at full price :)
  • Options
    Ibobmunro said:

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension

I've never met anyone who paid anywhere near list for one!
  • Options
    Ibobmunro said:

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension

I've never met anyone who paid anywhere near list for one!
    True.
  • Options
    On the cash deposit front, I've just - thanks to reccos on the MSE thread - taken out a 1 year fixed with (previously unknown to me) DF Capital at 5.15%. 

I wonder for how long those more ITK about banks and related businesses think 5% plus will be offered?  As @IdleHans says, it can be smart to spread your purchases of such bonds across a year, so you get the interest income at various times. But then timing becomes key. I suppose that they will still be around for as long as no BoE rate drop is in sight?

That said Charter Savings offer a one year with monthly interest payment at 4.98% so I will move money out of the instant account I have with them, to take some of that. The pain they inflict on you for this is that you have to send your money back to your nominated external account, and then send it back all over again to Charter Savings. This seems to be a quite common hassle, and I presume it's a quirk in the regulatory system?
  • Options
    Based on the 2-5 year rates I think you have maximum 12 months before those headline rates start to reduce, maybe slightly earlier. I know a couple of people who've put quite large sums (6 figures) in 5 year fixes despite them paying the same as 1-2 year accounts.
  • Options
    As for interest rates. Investment community are pricing in base rate increasing to 5.5%. Some saying 5.25% but certainly at least 2 more increases. 

A lit of 5 year fixed rate mortgages went up at the end if last week. Before that I was seeing around 4% for a good LTV. Now they are closer to 4.5%
  • Options

£70 in nic
    £103 in Tax 
    £72 in pension
    I’m doing it …. Pretty similar working fine 
  • Options
    On the cash deposit front, I've just - thanks to reccos on the MSE thread - taken out a 1 year fixed with (previously unknown to me) DF Capital at 5.15%. 

I wonder for how long those more ITK about banks and related businesses think 5% plus will be offered?  As @IdleHans says, it can be smart to spread your purchases of such bonds across a year, so you get the interest income at various times. But then timing becomes key. I suppose that they will still be around for as long as no BoE rate drop is in sight?

That said Charter Savings offer a one year with monthly interest payment at 4.98% so I will move money out of the instant account I have with them, to take some of that. The pain they inflict on you for this is that you have to send your money back to your nominated external account, and then send it back all over again to Charter Savings. This seems to be a quite common hassle, and I presume it's a quirk in the regulatory system?
    Mentioned it before, but Barclays have been paying 5.12% AER (5% gross) on their Blue Rewards Rainy Day Saver Account. Interest is paid monthly. Snag is that it is only for balances up to £5k. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite a snag that you can only earn approx £250 a year in interest from it.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Quite a snag that you can only earn approx £250 a year in interest from it.
    Seems to be common amongst the established names. Nationwide offering 5%, but only up to £1,500. HSBC have 4% up to £10k, then it drops to 2.3% (no max though). Santander 4% but capped at £4k. All instant access accounts, which is why the big banks cap the max. 

If you can give 3/4 months notice, there are good rates (4.45%) out there with £250k-£1m max limits.
  • Options
    Friends, I hope you've all noticed that the news earlier this week on UK inflation has sparked a big upward twist in savings rate offers.

On a one year fix you can now get 5.1% with Secure Trust, and 5.05% with Charter savings bank. The latter will give you 4.98% if you'd like to at least get the  interest monthly. 

On instant access HSBC went up a full half% point to 4% (albeit it's capped at £10k and you have to have a current account.)

Secure Trust offer 3.8%. Others are bound to react. 

If you want to stay on top of all this you deffo want to stop by the MoneySavingExpert forum that has nicked the title of this thread :)

And this now should give the older/more cautious investor pause for thought. If you stay in equity markets, rathter than take up one of those fixed rate deals, it means that you are confident that this time next year the FTSE250 will be above 20,100. A fair bit above it, in order to justify the risk. Do you believe that? Well do yer, punk? You feelin' lucky?  :D
    I'm not feeling very lucky right now. I'd like a quieter life on that front. But then again, I'm a grumpy old git.
    @PragueAddick . I'm not sure if this quite right. I think you forgotten bothe dividend yield and tax. I haven' got access to it right now but I think div yield is currently 3% ish. For Uk taxpayers at least it is becoming hard to avoid tax on interest earned. For anyone in higher tax bracket of 40%, there is no personal savings allowance and so even 5% interest becomes 3% net. However investing in a  FTSE fund, the dividend is effectively rolled up into the fund and then potetially liable to CGT upon realisation. CGT taxation is much more flexible and easier to avoid. On this basis FTSE levels only need stay at current levels to be equal. Any growth giving a gain. 

Does certainly vary on individual circumstances.

Please correct me if I have made wrong assumptions here. 
  • Options
    Think its 45% who get no PSA, 40% ers get £500
  • Options
    First Direct offering 7.1% on a regular saver. Transfer from £25 to £250 per month from your First Direct current account. Simples.
  • Options
    First Direct offering 7.1% on a regular saver. Transfer from £25 to £250 per month from your First Direct current account. Simples.
    Took it 6 out ago, it was 7% with a max of £300 per month.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Think its 45% who get no PSA, 40% ers get £500
    My mistake. I had thought it was taken away in last budget. Wrongly it seems.
    Mind you £500 is the interest on £10,000 at 5%. 
  • Options
    Took it 6 out ago, it was 7% with a max of £300 per month.
    I wasn’t suggesting someone did it on the figures I provided alone, assumed they would do their own checking. My bad.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Friends, I hope you've all noticed that the news earlier this week on UK inflation has sparked a big upward twist in savings rate offers.

On a one year fix you can now get 5.1% with Secure Trust, and 5.05% with Charter savings bank. The latter will give you 4.98% if you'd like to at least get the  interest monthly. 

On instant access HSBC went up a full half% point to 4% (albeit it's capped at £10k and you have to have a current account.)

Secure Trust offer 3.8%. Others are bound to react. 

If you want to stay on top of all this you deffo want to stop by the MoneySavingExpert forum that has nicked the title of this thread :)

And this now should give the older/more cautious investor pause for thought. If you stay in equity markets, rathter than take up one of those fixed rate deals, it means that you are confident that this time next year the FTSE250 will be above 20,100. A fair bit above it, in order to justify the risk. Do you believe that? Well do yer, punk? You feelin' lucky?  :D
    I'm not feeling very lucky right now. I'd like a quieter life on that front. But then again, I'm a grumpy old git.
    @PragueAddick . I'm not sure if this quite right. I think you forgotten bothe dividend yield and tax. I haven' got access to it right now but I think div yield is currently 3% ish. For Uk taxpayers at least it is becoming hard to avoid tax on interest earned. For anyone in higher tax bracket of 40%, there is no personal savings allowance and so even 5% interest becomes 3% net. However investing in a  FTSE fund, the dividend is effectively rolled up into the fund and then potetially liable to CGT upon realisation. CGT taxation is much more flexible and easier to avoid. On this basis FTSE levels only need stay at current levels to be equal. Any growth giving a gain. 

Does certainly vary on individual circumstances.

Please correct me if I have made wrong assumptions here. 
    CGT might be more flexible but come next tax year it wont be easy to avoid. In case you missed it in the Autumn Budget the Allowance has been cut to £6k for this tax year and then just £3k from 2024/25 onwards.

3 GRAND 

You cant mitigate much with that !!

Investment Bonds coming back into fashion because of it. 
  • Options
    @redman

Firstly, may I just wish you all the best health-wise!

You are absolutely right to question the thrust my post. I'm afraid I have a bad habit of forgetting about dividends, even though nowadays I go searching for them as part of my drive for steady income.Duh! So yes, even with rates topping 5% (I've now locked up a chunk for 2 years at 5.18% paid monthly) I guess there's a good chance that mainstream equities should beat that. 

Actually I wonder whether the better target for my grumpiness should be bonds. Basically why bother with government bonds if you can put money away safely in a small bank with zero transaction fees, backed by the government. I've just knocked up this graph from my H-L SIPP holding. It shows the last six months for the notorious Vanguard Life Strategy 20% fund; the Waverton Global Strategic Bond fund suggested by my IFA; and a bog standard UK Money Market fund. I pulled money out of that Vanguard fund into both of these, but right now it looks like the one that will pay off better over the year is the Money Market fund. But even that will not outpace a 5% plus bank account, because H-L  take their  platform fee as a % of all holdings. 

Thoughts, all?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @redman

You are absolutely right to question the thrust my post. I'm afraid I have a bad habit of forgetting about dividends, even though nowadays I go searching for them as part of my drive for steady income.Duh! So yes, even with rates topping 5% (I've now locked up a chunk for 2 years at 5.18% paid monthly) I guess there's a good chance that mainstream equities should beat that. 

Actually I wonder whether the better target for my grumpiness should be bonds. Basically why bother with government bonds if you can put money away safely in a small bank with zero transaction fees, backed by the government. I've just knocked up this graph from my H-L SIPP holding. It shows the last six months for the notorious Vanguard Life Strategy 20% fund; the Waverton Global Strategic Bond fund suggested by my IFA; and a bog standard UK Money Market fund. I pulled money out of that Vanguard fund into both of these, but right now it looks like the one that will pay off better over the year is the Money Market fund. But even that will not outpace a 5% plus bank account, because H-L  take their  platform fee as a % of all holdings. 

Thoughts, all?
    Oops.....🙈🙉🙊
  • Options
    @redman

Thoughts, all?
    Are there any structured products still available? They may suit you better.

I took out a couple 3 years ago, one kicked out last year (8% PA) the other this month paying about 6%. The second capital wasn’t at risk.
  • Options
    As we are just a few weeks away from the end of the half year FTSE 100 prediction competition I thought I'd post up as at close of play yesterday, quite close at the top with 5 people less than 1% out.

FTSE100 Level7,562.36  

NameLevelVariance% Variance
     Morboe75548.360.11%
     cafc7-6htfc760037.640.50%
     Salad751151.360.68%
     CAFCWest751052.360.69%
     Covered End750854.360.72%
     LargeAddick764784.641.12%
     blackpool72765087.641.16%
     Addick Addict765289.641.19%
     guinnessaddick765895.641.26%
     Hoof_it_up_to_benty7675112.641.49%
     Jon_CAFC_7675112.641.49%
     Fortune 82nd Minute7440122.361.62%
     fat man on a moped7685122.641.62%
     RalphMilne7689126.641.67%
     Thread Killer7423139.361.84%
     thecat7710147.641.95%
     IdleHans7745182.642.42%
     Bangkokaddick7767204.642.71%
     wwaddick7350212.362.81%
     CharltonKerry7777214.642.84%
     Rob7Lee7785222.642.94%
     Daarrrzzettbum7800237.643.14%
     aitchyaddick7809246.643.26%
     golfaddick7824261.643.46%
     PragueAddick7300262.363.47%
     StrikerFirmani7840277.643.67%
     valleynick667856293.643.88%
     Redman7250312.364.13%
     cafcpolo7893330.644.37%
     holyjo7912349.644.62%
     HardyAddick7913350.644.64%
     TheGhostofTomHovi7966403.645.34%
     Pedro457153409.365.41%
     @TelMc328000437.645.79%
     meldrew667117445.365.89%
     oohaahmortimer7077485.366.42%
     bobmunro6950612.368.10%
     WishIdStayedInThe Pub6625937.3612.40%
     Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 65001062.3614.05%
  • Options
    From 7,335 to 8,014 over the last 6 months. Most of us have been “in the frame” at some point. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Investec offering 5.67% on a three year fix via the HL platform. It doesnt seem to be available on Investec's own website. Interest paid on maturity.
  • Options
    On the lookout for some one year fixed rate options with monthly interest, but think I’ll bide my time for the next little rate nudge up.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    On the lookout for some one year fixed rate options with monthly interest, but think I’ll bide my time for the next little rate nudge up.
    I doubt they'll move much, don't forget to factor in lost interest by waiting every month (i.e. assume where it's sitting isn't 5+% already).
  • Options
    Had a Wealthify ISA for two and a half years, currently -£183 and has been in the red for some time now. Over £5k in there but wondering whether to persevere or look at other options. Any advice welcome. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Jaybinho said:
    Had a Wealthify ISA for two and a half years, currently -£183 and has been in the red for some time now. Over £5k in there but wondering whether to persevere or look at other options. Any advice welcome. 
    Really all depends on what funds you are invested in.

Best to keep it invested in an ISA but maybe need a change of funds.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rylo said:
    I doubt they'll move much, don't forget to factor in lost interest by waiting every month (i.e. assume where it's sitting isn't 5+% already).
    We’ve just moved, so waiting on updated address verification documents to turn up. I would’ve done it by now otherwise, but if it means they go up even ever so slightly it’s another couple of quid in the bank once we’re able to proceed. 👍🏻