Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• FTSE100 falling again today. Now at 6560 - down 1.3%. Hoping there is support around the 6500 level

On a slightly different note - I was watching a webinar about the Lindsell Train UK Equity fund (as I know a few on here hold it in their portfolios). Its mainly a large cap fund & only holds 26 stocks. Nick Train is a bit of a conviction manager & doesn't trade in & out very much. I would say it should be a satellite holding & not a core one as it may buck the market at times & doesn't follow trends.

HTH.
    I trimmed mine back so only have a bit in one ISA now and a couple of £k in my SIPP.
  • HL has been abysmal today.  Couldn't get in or out of a number of stocks, UK and US.

IG any better for those on that platform?
  • Zynex shooting up today, against the general tide. Now $20.70, up about 9.5%.
  • FTSE100 falling again today. Now at 6560 - down 1.3%. Hoping there is support around the 6500 level

On a slightly different note - I was watching a webinar about the Lindsell Train UK Equity fund (as I know a few on here hold it in their portfolios). Its mainly a large cap fund & only holds 26 stocks. Nick Train is a bit of a conviction manager & doesn't trade in & out very much. I would say it should be a satellite holding & not a core one as it may buck the market at times & doesn't follow trends.

HTH.
    That made me take a look at the charts. I'm a long term fan of his Global Equity fund, bought my holdings in the UK fund more recently. Certainly this last 12 months the UK fund has disappointed compared with the sector and the Global Equity fund not much better. But I'm holding it on the basis that -as you keep reminding us - UK stocks are due a re-valuation  ;)

Is it still the case that the professionals still worry about the sheer size of the Global fund especially? I'm loath to dump a fund manager who has made me a decent amount of money on short term under-performance; especially one brave and creative enough to invest in Juventus and Celtic. Oh, hang on, Celtic... :|
  • I’ve just today took some profit out of the BG funds, so they’ll shoot up then 😂
  • Did anyone buy some GME stock? 
  • edited January 2021
    Did anyone buy some GME stock? 
    Not GME, but have a few PLTR, GEVO and GSX which are behaving favourably
  • Did anyone buy some GME stock? 
    Not GME, but have a few PLTR, GEVO and GSX which are behaving favourably
    I got on GME, Nokia and AMC early but with small amounts because I didn't want to gamble too much, build a bear followed a similar trend but I didn't get on that
  • @Rob7Lee you trade funds (as well as shares of course as remember the tips) very regularly I see? What's your thinking behind that?

Zynex up about 15% today. Anybody benefitting out of their gesture of goodwill?
  • mendonca said:
    @Rob7Lee you trade funds (as well as shares of course as remember the tips) very regularly I see? What's your thinking behind that?

I put a few in my SIPP when TS arrived and brought Zynex to my notice. Not complaining so far!
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    @Rob7Lee you trade funds (as well as shares of course as remember the tips) very regularly I see? What's your thinking behind that?

I try to rebalance my portfolio once a year. Also if I see a fund way over perform compared to the market such as some of the BG one’s I’ll take some profit.

EG, I bought a lump of BG positive change last year avg price 2.4 sold 3.82 almost up 60%. On any measure that’s way out performed. Same with BG American, up 48% since last year, bought at average of 14.2 and sold 21.2. I’ve sold my original investment and kept the profit in.

otherwise most funds are long term holds generally bar a bit of rebalancing and adding to monthly.

of course they may go up further still, but it’s not often you get a combined 50+% return in around 9 months, if I could do that this year and next also I’ll be retiring then at 50!

• Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:

I try to rebalance my portfolio once a year. Also if I see a fund way over perform compared to the market such as some of the BG one’s I’ll take some profit.

EG, I bought a lump of BG positive change last year avg price 2.4 sold 3.82 almost up 60%. On any measure that’s way out performed. Same with BG American, up 48% since last year, bought at average of 14.2 and sold 21.2. I’ve sold my original investment and kept the profit in.

otherwise most funds are long term holds generally bar a bit of rebalancing and adding to monthly.

of course they may go up further still, but it’s not often you get a combined 50+% return in around 9 months, if I could do that this year and next also I’ll be retiring then at 50!

Yep, I advocate doing this. I often re-balance client portfolios, especially if they are looking a bit "toppy". Nothing wrong with taking the profit & "banking" it somewhere else. A bit like in the old days with fruit machines. Put in £2 & if you get an early win then bank the original £2 & just play with the winnings.

Over the past 12 months I have taken quite a bit out of BG American. Usually hold around 8%-9% in a clients portfolio. Once I see it's gone into double figures I prune it back again. Normally find the portfolio needs rebalancing anyway as the Fixed Interest portion would have naturally decreased because of this. 

Only problem I now have is where to invest these "gains". Fund managers are saying that Fixed Interest isn't going to give much by way of a return over the coming years - a few are recommending absolute return bond funds instead or alternatives / commodities such as Gold. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I’ve just today took some profit out of the BG funds, so they’ll shoot up then 😂
    On the contrary. Timed to perfection looking at the Dow and Nasdaq tonight! 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I’ve just today took some profit out of the BG funds, so they’ll shoot up then 😂
    On the contrary. Timed to perfection looking at the Dow and Nasdaq tonight! 
    Makes a change!
  • It’s at this point you say ‘I didn’t sell enough’
  • Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:

Yep, I advocate doing this. I often re-balance client portfolios, especially if they are looking a bit "toppy". Nothing wrong with taking the profit & "banking" it somewhere else. A bit like in the old days with fruit machines. Put in £2 & if you get an early win then bank the original £2 & just play with the winnings.

Over the past 12 months I have taken quite a bit out of BG American. Usually hold around 8%-9% in a clients portfolio. Once I see it's gone into double figures I prune it back again. Normally find the portfolio needs rebalancing anyway as the Fixed Interest portion would have naturally decreased because of this. 

Only problem I now have is where to invest these "gains". Fund managers are saying that Fixed Interest isn't going to give much by way of a return over the coming years - a few are recommending absolute return bond funds instead or alternatives / commodities such as Gold. 
    And that's the dilemma I have when thinking about doing what @Rob7Lee has done there. There's a danger of sticking the money somewhere else for the sake of it. I thought the other rule to follow before selling is "remind yourself of why you bought this fund in the first place..does your rationale for buying still hold good? If so, hold..." 

Dunno...
  • Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:

And that's the dilemma I have when thinking about doing what @Rob7Lee has done there. There's a danger of sticking the money somewhere else for the sake of it. I thought the other rule to follow before selling is "remind yourself of why you bought this fund in the first place..does your rationale for buying still hold good? If so, hold..." 

Dunno...
    Dangerous game that, Richard. It is predicated on your rationale still being valid to you when the market is now behaving otherwise, and makes the assumption that you somehow know more than the market.

Stop profit/stop loss was the advice given to me decades ago by a very shrewd punter (he was the MD of Ladbrokes at the time!). I have always tried to stick with that, although at my financial stage of life my risk profile has moved very far towards averse!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:

"remind yourself of why you bought this fund in the first place..does your rationale for buying still hold good? If so, hold..." 

Dunno...
    The rationale around why you bought the fund may still be the same but the amount you bought has changed. Again, it's all to do with diversification. If the fund price has increased by 100% then you are holding more risk as you are "overweight" in that asset - be it US equities, UK bonds, property or even cigarette cards. 
  • edited January 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    mendonca said:

"remind yourself of why you bought this fund in the first place..does your rationale for buying still hold good? If so, hold..." 

Dunno...
    The rationale around why you bought the fund may still be the same but the amount you bought has changed. Again, it's all to do with diversification. If the fund price has increased by 100% then you are holding more risk as you are "overweight" in that asset - be it US equities, UK bonds, property or even cigarette cards. 
    Spot on, and that's predominantly why I sold some. I've got maybe 15 funds, when you have a few that go up by a serious percentage the plan I had has now changed, much more over weight in certain areas and I was on the max anyway really in those funds.

As @bobmunro says, I'm no way cleaver enough to beat the market, if I was I wouldn't be piddling around trading in my SIPP & ISA. I also have one eye on the fact I'll be 50 in a couple of years and want to have financial freedom in 5.

So I maybe don't have quite the risk appetite I once had, when you see the size of the growth in less than 12 months, all at the time when inflation is as flat as a pancake, it's hard to not bank some of that profit. If I could replicate that (which I won't) for the next 3 years I'm going to be very very happy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Anyone watching the GameStop stuff in the US? Watching hedge funds being made uncomfortable by kids on Robinhood is great  

• Rothko said:
    Anyone watching the GameStop stuff in the US? Watching hedge funds being made uncomfortable by kids on Robinhood is great  

The issue the "professionals" have is that they know the share price is false & that's  why they have been shorting it. A share price is based on what the company is worth, not what people drive it up to be by trying to out do the traders. If there is no value to the Company (or not to the extent the share price has grown 900% in a month) then there is no justification to the share price. It will no doubt come crashing down once the people driving it up have had their fun. 
  • Rothko said:
    Retail is changing the legacy market and institutions are changing the crypto market. What a time to be alive.
  • Rothko said:
    Retail is changing the legacy market and institutions are changing the crypto market. What a time to be alive.
    Chamath is my hero, and he's bang on here. 
  • Rothko said:

The issue the "professionals" have is that they know the share price is false & that's  why they have been shorting it. A share price is based on what the company is worth, not what people drive it up to be by trying to out do the traders. If there is no value to the Company (or not to the extent the share price has grown 900% in a month) then there is no justification to the share price. It will no doubt come crashing down once the people driving it up have had their fun. 

Right, and if more people want to buy a share in that company, that makes the company worth more, no? Simple supply and demand.

these are the same “professionals” who thought crypto was tulip bulbs. They’re hopelessly out of touch with the direction the markets are going in and are left holding big bags of shorts. Good riddance to bears imo. 
    I don't think you can argue that the share price really reflects the value of the company though. I shed no tears for brokers crying about it, they've been beaten at their own game, but the redditers have pretty clearly manipulated the market, think it's quite impressive myself. The same brokers upset about it would do it themselves in the blink of an eye.
    i think it just goes to show that the stock market is just as much of a fugazi as anything else these "professionals" claim are tullip bulbs. 

Anywho, this has just convinced me more that DEFI is still undervalued, get paid tomorrow and gonna load up on some more defi coins.
  • Rothko said:

Right, and if more people want to buy a share in that company, that makes the company worth more, no? Simple supply and demand.

these are the same “professionals” who thought crypto was tulip bulbs. They’re hopelessly out of touch with the direction the markets are going in and are left holding big bags of shorts. Good riddance to bears imo. 
    I don't think you can argue that the share price really reflects the value of the company though. I shed no tears for brokers crying about it, they've been beaten at their own game, but the redditers have pretty clearly manipulated the market, think it's quite impressive myself. The same brokers upset about it would do it themselves in the blink of an eye.
    i think it just goes to show that the stock market is just as much of a fugazi as anything else these "professionals" claim are tullip bulbs. 

Anywho, this has just convinced me more that DEFI is still undervalued, get paid tomorrow and gonna load up on some more defi coins.
    That tulip bulbs comment really got to you didn't it haha

Agreed, I heard on a podcast (might have been Lex Fridman?) a while ago that once something becomes a 'game' to people, they detach from the real life consequences, which I think is very similar here
  • Rothko said:

you are spot on !!!!................ and they can't argue that it's ok to short sell 138% of a company's share float........... they deserve their bloody nose..................... the hedge funds have for far too long manipulated the markets.