Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• "bitcoin isn't an investment"

What have you bought that have outperformed bitcoin if you bought it January 2010 vs buying bitcoin in January 2010?

Answer: There isn't anything.
    With the greatest respect you could probably look back at any asset class at their low point and take it to their high point and find that they have outperformed any other asset class over that period. 
    This is why you should diversify.
  • As an aside, found out that my bank doesn’t anymore allow transfers in or out of Bitcoin type currency exchanges (if that’s the right word).
  • Crypto chat should go onto the crypto thread imo. Any chat about politics gets shut down & told to go on the House of Commoners ones so no reason why this can't do so too. 
    I don't agree. Crypto is being touted as an investment. @kentaddick is the only one of the crypto people ready to come on here and at least make a stab at defending it as an investment. I rather wish some of the others on that thread who are also on here sometimes, would give him a hand.
    The thing is Prague...You are asking questions which have all been answered in the past, while at the same time saying it's a cult, not really an investment, etc etc. Which let's be honest is because you don't understand it. You've said there is no point in you flogging a dead horse. That is exactly how I feel as well...I'm not going to spend my time trying to educate someone who is asking questions on one thread and shitting on the same thing in another.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Crypto chat should go onto the crypto thread imo. Any chat about politics gets shut down & told to go on the House of Commoners ones so no reason why this can't do so too. 
    I don't agree. Crypto is being touted as an investment. @kentaddick is the only one of the crypto people ready to come on here and at least make a stab at defending it as an investment. I rather wish some of the others on that thread who are also on here sometimes, would give him a hand.
    The thing is Prague...You are asking questions which have all been answered in the past, while at the same time saying it's a cult, not really an investment, etc etc. Which let's be honest is because you don't understand it. You've said there is no point in you flogging a dead horse. That is exactly how I feel as well...I'm not going to spend my time trying to educate someone who is asking questions on one thread and shitting on the same thing in another.
    their understanding also only runs to 2017, when everything was being marketed as "the next bitcoin". 4 years later and the crypto space is different, real world applications of blockchain, DAPPs running on ethereum and other networks and seemingly a big blind spot for what's currently attracting institutional investment and is going to be the hot ticket this year - Defi (lets also not forget Ethereum 2.0). It's fast moving, but this is what makes it so exciting and profitable. Are we also forgetting the world's richest man is one of bitcoin's loudest advocates? (he's joked that his mars colonies' economies will run using a cryptocurrency). I believe, as i did back in 2017, that eventually most things on the internet will be run using blockchain.
  • The only thing to return more then Crypto in terms of investments for me, is buying in at IPO on each Social Capital SPAC, otherwise nothing has come close to the returns I've made on Chainlink, and the potential returns I'm going to make on Cardano. 
  • cafcpolo said:
    Crypto chat should go onto the crypto thread imo. Any chat about politics gets shut down & told to go on the House of Commoners ones so no reason why this can't do so too. 
    Sorry, that’s a misrepresentation of what I posted and when.I answered Kent’s one sentence reply on the crypto thread, saying it didnt seem to help address my questions and waited something like a week  to see if someone else would have a go.  Nothing. So i posted on here about it. Funny how I can ask on CL about anything from Blue Badges to Internet line speed,  and so can anyone else, and lots of people reply helpfully , but crypto, nah. Not if you don’t show you Believe first.

Where have my questions been answered.? On the thread? In a serious medium? Well certainly not the FT, to name one highly sceptical finance oriented outlet. In the book my nephew gave me? How many people “shitting” on crypto have bothered to read a book advocating it?

People on here have explained why they have invested in gold, and in art. I think possibly also wine. Their explanations were perfectly understandable, even if not necessarily convincing to all readers as investments, because not all investments suit everyone. I’m afraid your post just reinforces my impression that something  isnt quite pukka about crypto, but if thats what you do with your money, good luck, , and I’m sorry that I  disturbed you with such impertinent and thick questions. 
  • cafcpolo said:
    Sorry, that’s a misrepresentation of what I posted and when.I answered Kent’s one sentence reply on the crypto thread, saying it didnt seem to help address my questions and waited something like a week  to see if someone else would have a go.  Nothing. So i posted on here about it. Funny how I can ask on CL about anything from Blue Badges to Internet line speed,  and so can anyone else, and lots of people reply helpfully , but crypto, nah. Not if you don’t show you Believe first.

Where have my questions been answered.? On the thread? In a serious medium? Well certainly not the FT, to name one highly sceptical finance oriented outlet. In the book my nephew gave me? How many people “shitting” on crypto have bothered to read a book advocating it?

People on here have explained why they have invested in gold, and in art. I think possibly also wine. Their explanations were perfectly understandable, even if not necessarily convincing to all readers as investments, because not all investments suit everyone. I’m afraid your post just reinforces my impression that something  isnt quite pukka about crypto, but if thats what you do with your money, good luck, , and I’m sorry that I  disturbed you with such impertinent and thick questions. 
    i think one person (might have been you) posted an article from the FT that claimed more bitcoins can be created like fiat currency can - which goes to show you the extremely shallow understanding the author has on the subject. Didn't read past that, utter tosh. 
  • Zynex up $1.50 (9%) near enough to $17.97 bid. Long may it continue as it might fund our transfers in time
  • What's that make TS worth today? $300m? 
  • Sponsored links:

• @golfaddick

Have sent you private message. 

• IdleHans said:
    Zynex up $1.50 (9%) near enough to $17.97 bid. Long may it continue as it might fund our transfers in time
    he should've mined bitcoin rather than setting up a silly little medical supplies company

:)
  • If you need a 40 min video to explain something then its too complicated. Attention span of most people is less than 10 mins. If I can't explain a product in less than 5 mins then clients don't invest. Been doing this job 30 years come May & seen most way of "selling" an idea.
  • If you need a 40 min video to explain something then its too complicated. Attention span of most people is less than 10 mins. If I can't explain a product in less than 5 mins then clients don't invest. Been doing this job 30 years come May & seen most way of "selling" an idea.
    you asked for a detailed prospectus this morning. I guess you were just sealioning.
    you asked for a detailed prospectus this morning. I guess you were just sealioning.
    I meant in writing. Something approved by the regulators. 
  • cafcpolo said:

i think one person (might have been you) posted an article from the FT that claimed more bitcoins can be created like fiat currency can - which goes to show you the extremely shallow understanding the author has on the subject. Didn't read past that, utter tosh. 
    Not me. The FT article I posted is on the previous page, doesn't make any such reference.
  • cafcpolo said:

Not me. The FT article I posted is on the previous page, doesn't make any such reference.
    So its basically saying that because some one did keep a good record of their keys bitcoin is bad? lol 
    I meant in writing. Something approved by the regulators. 
    In writing, approved by regulators? I assume stock markets had all of that in their infancy too?
  • So back to investments, copper price per tonne up today 1/2 a %, oil prices up today despite global concerns over demand, and FTSE & AIM mining stocks only going one way currently 📈 Ftse all share down, AIM up. Have a pleasant night chaps............coya’s
  • edited January 2021
    If you need a 40 min video to explain something then its too complicated. Attention span of most people is less than 10 mins. If I can't explain a product in less than 5 mins then clients don't invest. Been doing this job 30 years come May & seen most way of "selling" an idea.
    That's fine, your investment advice (I would guess) would be to only invest in plain vanilla products and/or funds where trying to maximise returns on your investment is not important and your clients are all risk averse?
     No one is suggesting that cryptocurrencies are suitable for a Financial Advisers portfolio of products or for your ordinary Joe investor looking to safely invest his money for a guaranteed return.
     Investors looking for premium returns should be advised on all of the exotic and derivative type products available to them if that client had an appetite for risk and the potential for superior returns. It's all relevant to what markets you want to invest in and cryptocurrencies along with derivative and exotic products are not for the feint hearted. 
    The reason I posted that video was because Prague asked for crypto to be explained and I thought that would help. 
    There are plenty of investment products out there that need a little more than 5 minutes to explain, that could equally make (or lose) far more than your typical Financial Advisor would ever be interested in....... cryptocurrencies are no different in that regard, but that is no excuse to just write them off as investment products because you do not understand the underlying risk or reward. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SPAC-Tastic, as I said, it’s the only other investment that has returned at Crypto levels

• I have a good friend whose Mum and partner live in a mortgage free house worth £400,000 ish. My friend’s brother works in finance and has kept on about them getting equity release. Anyway, suddenly my friend’s mum (in her 80s) has said how lovely it is that she’s got equity release and can get a new bathroom. No one else in the family consulted - but it is her house. She says, and is delighted, that she’s got £80,000 to spend. The brother has ‘arranged’ this. 
    My friend and her sister are surprised at how little money she’s got. I’m not, her brother has always been a scheming wanker and has probably got his Mum and partner to sign something giving him the house. Am I being cynical?
  • I have a good friend whose Mum and partner live in a mortgage free house worth £400,000 ish. My friend’s brother works in finance and has kept on about them getting equity release. Anyway, suddenly my friend’s mum (in her 80s) has said how lovely it is that she’s got equity release and can get a new bathroom. No one else in the family consulted - but it is her house. She says, and is delighted, that she’s got £80,000 to spend. The brother has ‘arranged’ this. 
    My friend and her sister are surprised at how little money she’s got. I’m not, her brother has always been a scheming wanker and has probably got his Mum and partner to sign something giving him the house. Am I being cynical?
    Sadly, probably not.
    She doesn't need to have signed her house over to him, just a straight forward equity release mortgage would net her £80k in that scenario. She could well have been offered more (maximum likely to be around 35% at that age) but perhaps all concerned felt that £80k was ample.

HOWEVER

it is strongly recommended that an equity release mortgage is discussed with dependants & beneficiaries of the Estate before signing anything. Also, at age 80, she would be deemed to be financially "vulnerable" and should have had someone with her at any discussion and or meeting. 

Tour friend should ask to look at the paperwork to see who signed what & what safeguards were put in place. As it happens I am regulated to deal with Equity Release but have only been involved in 2 or 3 over the past 20 years as I find that once I talk through the pros & cons with the WHOLE family they soon realise it's not for them. 
    She doesn't need to have signed her house over to him, just a straight forward equity release mortgage would net her £80k in that scenario. She could well have been offered more (maximum likely to be around 35% at that age) but perhaps all concerned felt that £80k was ample.

HOWEVER

it is strongly recommended that an equity release mortgage is discussed with dependants & beneficiaries of the Estate before signing anything. Also, at age 80, she would be deemed to be financially "vulnerable" and should have had someone with her at any discussion and or meeting. 

Tour friend should ask to look at the paperwork to see who signed what & what safeguards were put in place. As it happens I am regulated to deal with Equity Release but have only been involved in 2 or 3 over the past 20 years as I find that once I talk through the pros & cons with the WHOLE family they soon realise it's not for them. 
    The fact that the whole 'deal' was done without anyone except the son involved, and knowing how he is, I would be very surprised if he hasn't benefited. I also expect that he will deal with her estate after her death and say that there's nothing left as she had equity release. He's already loaded (as well as being on a big wage himself his wife has a lot of money) whereas my friend struggles.
    Probably more than a Parker pen.
  • edited January 2021
    I have a good friend whose Mum and partner live in a mortgage free house worth £400,000 ish. My friend’s brother works in finance and has kept on about them getting equity release. Anyway, suddenly my friend’s mum (in her 80s) has said how lovely it is that she’s got equity release and can get a new bathroom. No one else in the family consulted - but it is her house. She says, and is delighted, that she’s got £80,000 to spend. The brother has ‘arranged’ this. 

HOWEVER

My BIL parents took one out, many years ago. He’s an only child and didn’t know about it. His dad died about 10 years ago and since then his mum has sold the house and gone to live near to him in sheltered housing. There was a massive pay back  compared to what they had taken from the scheme, so much so that she was limited to what choice of flat she could afford. 

HOWEVER

My BIL parents took one out, many years ago. He’s an only child and didn’t know about it. His dad died about 10 years ago and since then his mum has sold the house and gone to live near to him in sheltered housing. There was a massive pay back  compared to what they had taken from the scheme, so much so that she was limited to what choice of flat she could afford. 
    I would just steer well clear of equity release, full stop.  Will definitely be yet another mis-selling scam of the future and we'll all end up paying for it, as usual.

If you can't get unsecured credit and need the money, sell the house and downsize.  

There's not enough competition in that market, as you can see from the rates that they charge which are outrageous for an asset-backed loan.  And I don't think anyone who actually signs those terms can understand the impact of rolling up the interest.

As for the brother's incentive, I suspect it is either that he has taken some of that cash (80k buys a lot of bathroom) or he's said - I don't need the money, mum, so don't worry about leaving anything to me; which isn't in everyone's interests.

The lender will have the charge over the house, not the brother.