Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• FTSE is falling like a stone. Anyone want to give me some hope it might recover soonish?
    bubble bursting, hope lifers haven't lost too much on this. I cant go to the shop and buy milk with stock, so whats the use case? 

/s
    Using our misery to make a point about bitcoin 🤔
    sounds like something some one in a cult would say tbh.
    I dunno as I'm not involved in that debate. So what you're saying just sounds like something an arsehole would say!
  • FTSE is falling like a stone. Anyone want to give me some hope it might recover soonish?
    bubble bursting, hope lifers haven't lost too much on this. I cant go to the shop and buy milk with stock, so whats the use case? 

/s
    Using our misery to make a point about bitcoin 🤔
    sounds like something some one in a cult would say tbh.
    I dunno as I'm not involved in that debate. So what you're saying just sounds like something an arsehole would say!

• gamestop opening at $414

melvin are done lol
    only back to where it started the month
  • edited January 2021
    barclays looks like a good buy, hit support and bouncing up. RSI oversold.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    FTSE is falling like a stone. Anyone want to give me some hope it might recover soonish?
    It'll recover soonish*

*sometime in the next 5 years

:D 

I wouldn't worry, markets go up and down, maybe invest more!
    Can't invest more as I've put it all in FTSE ETF!
    It could still go down some more before it goes up but depends on your time horizon.  I'm pretty confident that, even in a year, it will be higher.  Realistically, if you invest in equities you have to look 5 years.  

At some point the vaccines will kick in, the economy will start and the market will pick up again. If you try to time it, you may well miss the best days.  If you'd drip fed in, you'd be in s slightly better position.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    FTSE is falling like a stone. Anyone want to give me some hope it might recover soonish?
    It'll recover soonish*

*sometime in the next 5 years

:D 

I wouldn't worry, markets go up and down, maybe invest more!
    Can't invest more as I've put it all in FTSE ETF!
    It could still go down some more before it goes up but depends on your time horizon.  I'm pretty confident that, even in a year, it will be higher.  Realistically, if you invest in equities you have to look 5 years.  

At some point the vaccines will kick in, the economy will start and the market will pick up again. If you try to time it, you may well miss the best days.  If you'd drip fed in, you'd be in s slightly better position.
    i'd also say that from a TA perspective it will probably go up in the next 2/3 weeks. But the macro (weekly) doesn't look too great, big bearish flag. But yeah, in 6 months the fundamentals will be quite different. You might be glad that you held on through this.
    It will right itself quite soon. In a few months time you'll wonder what the worry was all about. Earlier this afternoon it was back down to pre-xmas levels.......and so by Easter it will back up to 6850 again. Swings & roundabouts but I'm expecting it to be going upwards more than downwards. 
  • Im looking to invest some savings i have. 20k before i blow on a car that i dont need. Its burning a hole in my pocket if honest and would rather see it tied up to good use. I need a IFA. Please inbox me if anybody looking for a new customer. Some reason i trust CL more than internet searching. Cheers ken
  • Sponsored links:

It will right itself quite soon. In a few months time you'll wonder what the worry was all about. Earlier this afternoon it was back down to pre-xmas levels.......and so by Easter it will back up to 6850 again. Swings & roundabouts but I'm expecting it to be going upwards more than downwards. 
    Or look at it in terms of the Thread Index predictor. The close of play index was at 6460. Now it's at 6407, a decline of.. err..0.8%. My forecast for the new predictor which ends 30 June is 7110, which would be 11% on where we are now, but only 4.5% on where it was a week or so ago. I don't think I'd change my forecast right now. It's just Covid driven volatility IMO. 
  • Short traders lost 8 bn thats Billion in GameStop today over 20 bn since Monday bend down and back up slow till you hit GameStop traders lol.
  • Gasman said:
    Im looking to invest some savings i have. 20k before i blow on a car that i dont need. Its burning a hole in my pocket if honest and would rather see it tied up to good use. I need a IFA. Please inbox me if anybody looking for a new customer. Some reason i trust CL more than internet searching. Cheers ken.
    Just PM'd you  
  • Gasman said:
    Im looking to invest some savings i have. 20k before i blow on a car that i dont need. Its burning a hole in my pocket if honest and would rather see it tied up to good use. I need a IFA. Please inbox me if anybody looking for a new customer. Some reason i trust CL more than internet searching. Cheers ken.
    Just PM'd you  
    Great stuff.
  • What would be the make up of these hedge funds ?
    Who will be losing all this money ?
  • Just googled and saw this 

A hedge fund raises its capital from a variety of sources, including high net worth individuals, corporations, foundations, endowments, and pension funds.” 

so potentially people’s pensions will be fucked, greeeeeeeat ffs 
  • Tempted to take a short position on GameStop on Monday. They are a fundamentally overvalued company now. 

I think they will tumble some time soon. 
  • edited January 2021
    Huskaris said:
    Tempted to take a short position on GameStop on Monday. They are a fundamentally overvalued company now. 

Agree in principal, but you're not dealing with normal markets here. Firstly, we are not talking about rational traders, and secondly, the squeeze hasn't really kicked in yet. There are still a lot of funds short out there, who will need to buy the shares back if they decide they want to cut their losses - this will drive the share price even higher
  • There are definitely some dark arts at play in the US. Looking at the timing and possible brains behind this. These things are rarely dreamt up on message boards, but they would have been used go coordinate communication.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:
    Tempted to take a short position on GameStop on Monday. They are a fundamentally overvalued company now. 

Agree in principal, but you're not dealing with normal markets here. Firstly, we are not talking about rational traders, and secondly, the squeeze hasn't really kicked in yet. There are still a lot of funds short out there, who will need to buy the shares back if they decide they want to cut their losses - this will drive the share price even higher
    I completely agree with you, I suppose the case is how long I can hold on. 

Hard to short as a retail investor so has to be through a spread bet or CFD. 

Fundamentally, this reminds me of something where the asset has a value that has no resemblance to the price, being jumped on by people for emotional reasons, either a hate of wall Street, a love of a gaming store, or greed of riding a wave. 

None of those are long term reasons to hold a stock. 

Sell sell sell! 
  • Huskaris said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:

Fundamentally, this reminds me of something where the asset has a value that has no resemblance to the price, being jumped on by people for emotional reasons, either a hate of wall Street, a love of a gaming store, or greed of riding a wave. 

Sell sell sell! 
    This in a nutshell. Some people will make shed loads of money over this & some will make a tidy sum.......but quite a few who have been sucked in over the past week or two will lose tens of thousands when the price slumps back to its true value.
  • Huskaris said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:

Sell sell sell! 
    This in a nutshell. Some people will make shed loads of money over this & some will make a tidy sum.......but quite a few who have been sucked in over the past week or two will lose tens of thousands when the price slumps back to its true value.
    I think it'll go up further yet, but a lot of the newcomers are going to be left holding the baby when it all goes tits up 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Huskaris said:

Sell sell sell! 
    I think it'll go up further yet, but a lot of the newcomers are going to be left holding the baby when it all goes tits up 
    I agree with you, but the thing is that if you short the stock today, I think that even though you might have paper losses for a while, that stock is only going one way... 
  • Did any hedge funds think of this? 

Is it possible that if you start shorting a group of investors fuelled by social media might call your bluff?
  • Just googled and saw this 

“ A hedge fund raises its capital from a variety of sources, including high net worth individuals, corporations, foundations, endowments, and pension funds.” 

so potentially people’s pensions will be fucked, greeeeeeeat ffs
    Yes. An adult on BBC World Service this morning was explaining that the hedge funds are reacting by selling their shares in normal stocks that they would not otherwise sell, in order to cover themselves. That is why Apple was down 5% on record breaking figures. Many pension funds will hold Apple.

I'm not taking sides on this either way at this stage. There is a lot to play out yet. The same adult pointed out that there are three players in this, the hedgies, the Reddit -driven retail investors, and then the platforms. 

• edited January 2021
    Scaremongering at it's very best to bring pensions into the argument........ Short selling would not be allowed with peoples pension funds..... there are many different types of hedge funds and they all behave differently. The ones getting a kicking are in it for themselves and their "investors" but that wouldn't include pension money and they are very careful with what they say in the media. The argument is that because they (the hedge funds short selling) have to sell other assets (including equities) to cover their losses, they are bringing down the value of equities..... the opposite argument is true when they investing their gains in equities, but no one cried for the shafted companies or shareholders when the short sellers succeeded??...... pension funds are not losing cash per se..... just they are affected by the downturn in markets which is true for any downturn.
    If pension funds lose value in the short term, it is the fault of the parasite hedge funds who didn't manage their risk (unlimited when you short sell at such outrageous levels) and not the retail players who saw legitimate value in buying the shares in GME to cause the squeeze. 
  • Scaremongering at it's very best to bring pensions into the argument........ Short selling would not be allowed with peoples pension funds..... there are many different types of hedge funds and they all behave differently. The ones getting a kicking are in it for themselves and their "investors" but that wouldn't include pension money and they are very careful with what they say in the media. The argument is that because they (the hedge funds short selling) have to sell other assets (including equities) to cover their losses, they are bringing down the value of equities..... the opposite argument is true when they investing their gains in equities, but no one cried for the shafted companies or shareholders when the short sellers succeeded??...... pension funds are not losing cash per se..... just they are affected by the downturn in markets which is true for any downturn.
    If pension funds lose value in the short term, it is the fault of the parasite hedge funds who didn't manage their risk (unlimited when you short sell at such outrageous levels) and not the retail players who saw legitimate value in buying the shares in GME to cause the squeeze. 
    Sounds to me like a buying opportunity in normal equities looms.
  • edited January 2021
    looking to open a global index tracker after reading various things. What is the best one to keep investing into each month without requiring much checking? I’ve seen various options with vanguard and HSBC.
  • Anyone else in on Nokia, I’m in big but not for any short squeeze or Reddit hype. I generally believe they are undervalued compared to the rest of the 5G market.