Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

El Hadji Ba

Comments

• Options

Does anyone know what mystery illness Ba has been suffering from for approximately 2 months ?

Many people doubt this is "real", but it maybe, so I wouldn't want to say anything untoward.

Guessing that he's suffering from the same problem as Tex, CE.

"Iwantthefeckoutofhereitis ".

Quite. But I remember when Youga went down against, I think Bristol R. "He's putting it on", I said.

I don't think he ever played for us again.
    He was quality on his day. Still remember him against Palace in the first Charlton match I went to. He had their wingers (I think it was Moses and Scannell)
  • Options
    "day" being a one off day of about 3 mins duration
  • Options

Does anyone know what mystery illness Ba has been suffering from for approximately 2 months ?

Many people doubt this is "real", but it maybe, so I wouldn't want to say anything untoward.

Quite. But I remember when Youga went down against, I think Bristol R. "He's putting it on", I said.

Remember Youga picking up that injury by trying to be flash and kicking the ball as hard as he could up in the air when it had already gone out for a throw. Not to be seen gracing our 1st team ever again.
  • Options
    E H Ba is one of the consistently most terrifyingly awful chumps Charlton has been landed with in the 23 years I've been going. I really don;t think he'd get a regular start in Dartford's side in Conference South, which I see when fixtures allow. Elliott Bradbrook and Lee Noble, to name but 2 at Dartford, are both streets ahead of EHB but I wouldn't want to risk them at League 1 level.
  • Options
    Sage said:

1StevieG said:

Remember Youga picking up that injury by trying to be flash and kicking the ball as hard as he could up in the air when it had already gone out for a throw. Not to be seen gracing our 1st team ever again.
    If I remember rightly, it was a poor challenge by Dominic Blizzard, the same one who injured Grant Basey at their place later that same season.

Youga was by far our best player for us that season until he got injured in November on that Tuesday night. Wasn't dealt with correctly or got the right treatment, to eventually affect him so much it became a psychological problem too.

Believe the last club he has played for was Crawley. And only making about 30 appearances in the last 7 years.
    Hmm, so the mistreated injury issue didn't just start under RD...
  • Options
    I reckon Ba could do a job in L1. His biggest problem imo, was not having enough time in The Championship. He lost the ball too easily as his brain wasn't quick enough. He'll have far more time in L1.

The question remains, does anyone know if he's recovered yet ?

If he was ill, then it must have been very serious to put him out of action for 2 months.
  • Options

Sage said:

1StevieG said:

If I remember rightly, it was a poor challenge by Dominic Blizzard, the same one who injured Grant Basey at their place later that same season.

Youga was by far our best player for us that season until he got injured in November on that Tuesday night. Wasn't dealt with correctly or got the right treatment, to eventually affect him so much it became a psychological problem too.

Believe the last club he has played for was Crawley. And only making about 30 appearances in the last 7 years.
    Hmm, so the mistreated injury issue didn't just start under RD...
    Possibly as its similar to Danny Haynes' constant issue with his hamstrings. But I believe with Youga it was that he never received the right diagnosis from the beginning and therefore was treating him with something that wasn't even the issue. Meaning that his injury got worse and eventually caused psychological problems when he was finally fit, he never believed he was.

There's no doubt however that since RD arrived, medically we have been a shambles like the rest of the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Onto the actual topic, I believe Ba could be a real asset in League One, would have more space and technically he's not a bad player. If he is ill, I hope he's alright. But it would be a shame if he's not committed or his attitude wasn't right, as he could do well for us this season.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sage said:

1StevieG said:

He's just about to turn 31, so he's my age (which makes me feel very old and very pointless in a footballing sense).

He was apparently in the CAR squad that took on Jordan Botaka's Dr. Congo a couple days ago! I can't find the teams anywhere to see if he played.

I agree he was our best player that season before he got hurt. Quick, strong, decent going forward. Shame that injuries ruined his career.

Onto Ba, I've been saying since the players got back in July that I thought Ba could do a job for us, and especially since it became clear that our central midfield was going to consist of the Skipper, Foley, and Crofts.

I remember watching the Hull (home) game on telly last year and Ba and Kashi looked mustard in central midfield. Kashi was just about getting the pace of the game, and Ba had some good and bad moments, but with Cousins covering at Right Back I thought we'd made two brilliant additions.

As far as I'm concerned, if they're our players, it's Slade's job to coach them. It's clear Slade has a type that he likes (one paced, reliable deep sitting but not great on the ball central midfielders), but our team is going to need some dynamism from midfield at some point and Ba could offer that. Not to mention the fact that we're not particularly deep in midfield. I was intrigued when he started against Welling as a No. 10 but then I don't think he was seen again in pre-season (maybe Bromley, but he didn't go to Austria).
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

1StevieG said:

He's just about to turn 31, so he's my age (which makes me feel very old and very pointless in a footballing sense).

He was apparently in the CAR squad that took on Jordan Botaka's Dr. Congo a couple days ago! I can't find the teams anywhere to see if he played.

I agree he was our best player that season before he got hurt. Quick, strong, decent going forward. Shame that injuries ruined his career.

Onto Ba, I've been saying since the players got back in July that I thought Ba could do a job for us, and especially since it became clear that our central midfield was going to consist of the Skipper, Foley, and Crofts.

I remember watching the Hull (home) game on telly last year and Ba and Kashi looked mustard in central midfield. Kashi was just about getting the pace of the game, and Ba had some good and bad moments, but with Cousins covering at Right Back I thought we'd made two brilliant additions.

As far as I'm concerned, if they're our players, it's Slade's job to coach them. It's clear Slade has a type that he likes (one paced, reliable deep sitting but not great on the ball central midfielders), but our team is going to need some dynamism from midfield at some point and Ba could offer that. Not to mention the fact that we're not particularly deep in midfield. I was intrigued when he started against Welling as a No. 10 but then I don't think he was seen again in pre-season (maybe Bromley, but he didn't go to Austria).
    Played in one of the two home pre-season friendlies. Not sure which one...
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I saw Ba at Sparrows Lane, I tried to have a word with him about his 'illness' but he sounded very sheepish.

Must be a baaad illness then
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

1StevieG said:

I'm not sure that's clear at this stage. We just don't have many options and he might just not rate Ba. He has brought in Ulvestad and I think he's here to play rather than just give us a different option as cover.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

1StevieG said:

I'm not sure that's clear at this stage. We just don't have many options and he might just not rate Ba. He has brought in Ulvestad and I think he's here to play rather than just give us a different option as cover.
    True, but he also brought in Crofts and Foley, not a central midfielder by trade, to play central midfield. I certainly agree Wolf City is here to play, and should hopefully come straight into the team and provide something different, but that still leaves 3/4 fit senior midfielders much of a muchness.

If he doesn't rate Ba, then my advice would be to coach him until he does. Slade got a huge amount of free reign in turns of turnover in the squad this summer, but the job of a manager is not just to wheel and deal but to coach players and make them better. Sometimes those players aren't the ones you'd hoped for. But without emergency loans, he's stuck with him (and Tex) until January, so as far as I'm concerned it's his job to work with them in an attempt to get them into his team.
  • Options
    I should think it's more a case of wanting to play his own players & established Charlton players, like Jackson, Solly & Fox and wanting to be rid of the "failures" from the previous "regime".

It's easier to start afresh without a constant reminder every day, in the shape of "the unwanted old guard".
  • Options

I should think it's more a case of wanting to play his own players & established Charlton players, like Jackson, Solly & Fox and wanting to be rid of the "failures" from the previous "regime".

It's easier to start afresh without a constant reminder every day, in the shape of "the unwanted old guard".

I get that, but what I take issue with is the traditional British manager notion of "being able to bring in his own players." I think it's antiquated, and in an era of inflated agents fees and wages and transfer fees it can be very expensive. I don't think it's reasonable anymore for a coach to come in and demand a complete overhaul of the squad. We've done it this summer, but our team is far, far weaker (which was always to be expected because of relegation), and in addition to getting rid of some of the failures of the previous regime, we've also gotten rid of all of the successes bar Tex.
  • Options
    We're not a good example though as we've have Fraeye and Mowgli doing the scouting hence so many unsuitable players.

Yes, coaches should ain to improve existing players but they won't all fit in to the new managers plans, style of play or philosophy.

Slade kept Bauer for example perhaps because his style is more "English".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

I saw Ba at Sparrows Lane, I tried to have a word with him about his 'illness' but he sounded very sheepish.

He wouldn't stop bleating on about it when I asked.
  • Options

We're not a good example though as we've have Fraeye and Mowgli doing the scouting hence so many unsuitable players.

Yes, coaches should ain to improve existing players but they won't all fit in to the new managers plans, style of play or philosophy.

Slade kept Bauer for example perhaps because his style is more "English".

Fair enough, but it's not as if we're talking about a handful of ins and outs here, much of our squad has been overhauled. Obviously a lot of that was inevitable as a result of relegation and players wanting away and a need to make money, but Slade has been able to bring in a lot of new players. Having one or two that, in an ideal world, he wouldn't like shouldn't be too much of a burden in my opinion. Especially when one (Tex) is arguably our best center half and the other, Ba, possesses traits we don't have in midfield but that we could certainly use if we're to mount a serious promotion push.

One of the things I look for in good managers/coaches is not only how their team performs, but how they make individual players better. This has come to the foreground with Raheem Sterling talking about how under Guardiola he gets a lot much individual coaching and instruction whereas he felt he got none under Pellegrini, and for a 21 year old that's vital. Obviously we're not on that level but I think that at any level it's what separates the wheat from the chaff.
  • Options
    At every club, when a new manager arrives there are faces on the playing side that simply do not fit. They are generally moved on as soon as possible, simply because neither party is interested in them staying. That is usually preceded by a period of being injured (minor or unspecific ones) or ill. I suspect Ba falls into that category.

As several people have said, he had ability "on his day". The problem is the rarity of those kind of performances.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Greenie said:

Seems he's pulled the wool over your eyes.

• Options

Greenie said:

Seems he's pulled to wool over your eyes.

Was probably a close shave that he didnt have a proper conversation with Ba... I've heard he can bleat on for hours
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Greenie said:

Seems he's pulled to wool over your eyes.

Was probably a close shave that he didnt have a proper conversation with Ba... I've heard he can bleat on for hours
    I think it was shear luck that they didn't have a conversation. He might have got lambasted if he did.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Surely its BArghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ?
  • Options
    Talal said:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We should stop now. I can tell Ewe have had enough.