Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

El Hadji Ba

Comments

• Options

Charlton wouldn't be Charlton without slagging a player or two off even if we haven't seen much of them.
    Ba and Johnson look like being this season candidates before a ball is kicked.
    It's pathetic really.

The problem is, we have seen plenty of Ba
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Charlton wouldn't be Charlton without slagging a player or two off even if we haven't seen much of them.
    It's pathetic really.

23 appearances ,many from the bench. Is that enough?

Simon Francis made 34 appearances for us and the boo boys decided he was shit way before the end of that run.

What ever happened to him?

Just saying
    I think the manager (Powell) had more say in the future of Francis than any supporters, hence why he was released.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Simon Francis made 34 appearances for us and the boo boys decided he was shit way before the end of that run.

Just saying
    He is that good that he could only manage 23 appearances, many from the bench in a poor team that got relegated

Just saying
  • Options

cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying
    He is that good that he could only manage 23 appearances, many from the bench in a poor team that got relegated

Just saying
    You are forgetting we had more than one Clown in charge of the team last season and he also suffered an injury.

Don't get me wrong. He may be crap but i'm just sick off our fans over the last 20 years writing players off after a couple of bad games. There is a big list of very good players that have had the Charlton boo boy treatment.
    It just pisses me off.
    Yes, I think that is a very good point. It's unfortunate that we tend to sign too many players new to the English leagues, and thus, when they're thrown in at the deep end, they struggle and they get booed.

That said, I've been watching Roger Johnson for a decade and have never rated him.
  • Options
    Has he been featuring pre season?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying

Just saying
    You are forgetting we had more than one Clown in charge of the team last season and he also suffered an injury.

Don't get me wrong. He may be crap but i'm just sick off our fans over the last 20 years writing players off after a couple of bad games. There is a big list of very good players that have had the Charlton boo boy treatment.
    It just pisses me off.
    Yes, I think that is a very good point. It's unfortunate that we tend to sign too many players new to the English leagues, and thus, when they're thrown in at the deep end, they struggle and they get booed.

That said, I've been watching Roger Johnson for a decade and have never rated him.
    Each to his own, and all that, but, if I was stalking someone, I might have chosen a different target for my "affection".
    Trust me, I wish I had...but I'm not a quitter, I see things through.
  • Options

It's pathetic really.

You mean they will leave Morgan Fox alone??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has he been featuring pre season?

Passing drills with the under 12's. Billy from Orpington says he's improving
  • Options
    Might be interesting to see RoJo with a full pre season behind him - rather than with a broken rib (first stint when he was actually ok) or after doing piss all in India for 6 months (2nd stint).
  • Options
    I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as he's being made out, however I doubt many will even give him a chance should he be selected.
  • Options
    Often shows flashes of ability in possession, but has absolutely no urgency and awareness - possibly as a result of not giving a single shit.

Last season we would often play the fun game of 'Ba player cam'. Just watching him for a couple of minutes was hilarious.

While play was going on around him, he would dawdle about, pleasantly taking in his surroundings - half the time not even watching where the ball was. You just wanted to shake him awake and give him a kick up the arse to get back into the game.

In the times where he did decide to get involved, he was always a yellow/red card waiting to happen. After a three or four minute mental absence, he would click into gear and steam over to chop someone down.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

It's pathetic really.

Great point, except he played 28 times last season?

Edit: seen this is addressed above.
  • Options
    we make players better by slating them, then they leave with something to prove.. :D
  • Options
    Dear god he has 2 left feet can't run he is robbing a career. I could do better than him and I'm 31 unfit and well over weight
  • Options

Dear god he has 2 left feet can't run he is robbing a career. I could do better than him and I'm 31 unfit and well over weight

I have seen some good from him, don't get me wrong, last season at times he was woeful, but there's a reason he's a pro and you aren't.

He just needs to get 'concentrate' written on one hand and 'apply yourself' on the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I guess we'll see. When I watched him in pre-season last year I thought he was going to be fantastic and was disappointed he didn't start. Kashi's performance against QPR soon cheered me up though and it seemed like we finally had some decent centre mid options to choose from. For whatever reason though he's never looked confident and he turned into a bit of a liability. He's an odd one because he doesn't really have an obvious best role. He's generally too weak and rash in the tackle to be an effective defensive holding mid, too loose in possession to be a passing defensive mid, too undisciplined and positionally unaware to be a real box to box player and too wasteful to be an out and out number 10. He's got elements of his game that are very good but he can't link them together regularly enough. He's a powerful runner, a decent tackler when his head's right and his ability to do the unexpected can throw defences off. He's actually a lot like a very low-rent Yaya Toure. When he's good though he's absolutely everywhere, harrying opposition midfielders, getting on the ball and shifting past players; against Sheff Wed he was incredible.

This season could be the making of him. I get the feeling Slade doesn't find him sturdy enough to be part of a midfielder two in a flat four and isn't a fan of playing with a 10, so Ba will have to take his chance if and when he gets it and throw some form together. There's definitely potential if he can work out what he wants to do on the pitch. Otherwise he'll be on loan to a European club by February.
  • Options
    Ba - won't improve in the league what we need in midfield this year is a battle axe midfielder , think if fit Kashi would be perfect as others as said Ba headless chicken no brain.

Cellabos - not seen enough of him to comment but i doubt is cut out for a hard season in league 1.

Harriot - Think he needs a lot attention and needs to be constantly praised and worked on, but I think Slade will get the best out of him so I'm tempted to say he will do well this season.

Johnson - despite the apparent lack professionalism of the field, having watched a lot of league one football in my time I think he may excel this season

Birdshit - enough said
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Ba - won't improve in the league what we need in midfield this year is a battle axe midfielder , think if fit Kashi would be perfect as others as said Ba headless chicken no brain. Agree Kashi over Ba, but disagree with the rest.

Cellabos - not seen enough of him to comment but i doubt is cut out for a hard season in league 1. I'm not sure, he's quite a physically built lad, think he'll do well personally.

Harriot - Think he needs a lot attention and needs to be constantly praised and worked on, but I think Slade will get the best out of him so I'm tempted to say he will do well this season. Agree

Johnson - despite the apparent lack professionalism of the field, having watched a lot of league one football in my time I think he may excel this season agree

Birdshit - enough said If this is meant to be Bergdich, I disagree, as a LM he did alright.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Here's what I said last time re El Hadji Ba, and I stand by it. The original context was a reply to someone saying how good he looked in pre-season:

That's because the entire team was playing at half pace against Welling and the like. Now he's in the Championship, his pace hasn't adjusted whatsoever.

El-Hadji Ba is, simply put, rubbish at football. It's not his technique. It's not even his fitness. It's that he consistently, whenever presented with the ball, in whatever context, makes the single worst decision possible.

He takes time to pass it - way too much time - and his passes quite often are wayward attempted defence splitting through balls that I doubt the likes of Ozil, let alone El-Hadji Ba, could pull off on the reg.

He is TOO slow. Undoubtedly quite fit, but he NEVER EVER changes his pace. He ambles about as if on a nice Sunday stroll, no matter the context. Until he fucks up and loses possession, at which point he'll make a tackle worthy of a yellow card (how he wasn't sent off against Reading is beyond me), try and sprint to get it back and then more often than not compromise an already diabolical defence.

He adds NOTHING to this football team. One of the worst signings I've seen in recent memory. (Bear in mind that I'm 22, so Amdy Faye just about doesn't classify as recent memory...)

I won't be unhappy to see the back of him, if we ever do.

Edit for more things just in a list:

- No spatial or positional awareness - so many pantomime "he's behind you!" moments I can recall
    - Can't pass
    - Clumsy, makes Bambi on ice look like a Toyota Hilux
    - Really can't pass
    - Doesn't seem bothered mentally, and doesn't adjust physically when we're playing teams with certain physical attributes
    - Too ponderous on the ball: takes the sting out of any attack we have. Most of the moment dies with him.
    Completely agree with this. Quite simply, there are very few (if any) players I've written off as quickly and with such conviction as Ba.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying
    Francis was useless for us though. I'm getting a bit bored of that as an argument. Ba was crap for us last season, but he's still reasonably young and was at least on the books of a prem team before us. Perhaps he'll be good for someone else, like Francis and lots of other players who've left us, but based on what we've seen of him he hasn't been good enough.

That said, last season no one was good (at least no one who's still here). Maybe he can prove himself at L1 level. We've got f*** all players anyway, and we're looking at a central midfield in Jackson and Crofts with a combined age of 98 or something. In an ideal world we'd sign some decent new midfielders, rather than desperately cling on to the shit we have, but we all know who's in charge...
  • Options

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying
    Francis was useless for us though. I'm getting a bit bored of that as an argument. Ba was crap for us last season, but he's still reasonably young and was at least on the books of a prem team before us. Perhaps he'll be good for someone else, like Francis and lots of other players who've left us, but based on what we've seen of him he hasn't been good enough.

That said, last season no one was good (at least no one who's still here). Maybe he can prove himself at L1 level. We've got f*** all players anyway, and we're looking at a central midfield in Jackson and Crofts with a combined age of 98 or something. In an ideal world we'd sign some decent new midfielders, rather than desperately cling on to the shit we have, but we all know who's in charge...
    I think you're singing from his same song sheet.

You're both saying Ba should have another chance, I think...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying

I think you're singing from his same song sheet.

You're both saying Ba should have another chance, I think...
    Suppose we are to some extent, yeah. Was just saying the comparison with Francis (which happens a lot on here) annoys me. Plenty of players can be crap one place and go on to do well elsewhere. Doesn't mean you should keep giving players chance after chance when they don't show anything. Like I say in an ideal world, I'd much rather see the back of Ba and get someone better in. Can't see it happening with these in charge though...
  • Options
    Quite a lot of players will probably look a bit better next season, but I don't care about that. We can look as chite as you like, as long as we win match after match after match.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

It's pathetic really.

Just saying

Remember when we got relegated last time to League One? We had a load of players that we couldn't move on and they didn't want to play in League One, and it showed every time they were on the pitch. Kyle Reid and Thierry Racon are two that spring to mind. I reckon Ba could be another of those.