Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slade says we only need squad of 22

Comments

• seth plum said:

He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
    The guy knows the league. So why not give him a chance before digging him out?
    I think it is because he is the appointment of the regime. Slade has to achieve promotion as a minimum for fans to accept him in a kind of neutral fashion. I have always quite liked him as a bloke, but now he is at my club he has to deliver with no excuses.
    This quote has now proven what certain fans of our club are like. We are not going to give him a chance as "t is because he is the appointment of the regime." Pathetic
    Has anyone said we are not giving him a chance? No. Instead we are quite reasonably commenting on his quote about the size of a squad and, again, quite reasonably commenting on whether such a slim-line squad could carry some of the players we are speculating might still be with the club next season.
    All of that is perfectly acceptable. So if you could just stop slagging people off as being pathetic for no reason whatsoever it would be appreciated. Thank you.

BTW, if you beat a dog with a stick often enough....guess how it behaves when you wave another stick in front of it?
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
    I think it is because he is the appointment of the regime. Slade has to achieve promotion as a minimum for fans to accept him in a kind of neutral fashion. I have always quite liked him as a bloke, but now he is at my club he has to deliver with no excuses.
    This quote has now proven what certain fans of our club are like. We are not going to give him a chance as "t is because he is the appointment of the regime." Pathetic
    BTW, if you beat a dog with a stick often enough....guess how it behaves when you wave another stick in front of it?
    I guess the answer is not for the dog to stand on its back legs and go.... thats not a stick, now THIS is a stick
  • Thing is I think most supporters are more than willing to cut Slade some slack, whilst still venting at the owners.
  • CH4RLTON said:

Really starting to make cringe how every tiny thing Slade has said is being scrutinised so close. I like thqt he was quite confident in his in interview and cock sure about his ability.

Let's just give him a go and see what he does I've got a feeling he will silence a lot of gobshites

But thats not the Charlton way?
  • CH4RLTON said:

Really starting to make cringe how every tiny thing Slade has said is being scrutinised so close. I like thqt he was quite confident in his in interview and cock sure about his ability.

Let's just give him a go and see what he does I've got a feeling he will silence a lot of gobshites

Who the hell are you to refer to genuinely concnerned fans as 'Gobshites'? Slade seems like he's not the only one who is cocksure of himself.
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

fixed it for you
    Has anyone said we are not giving him a chance? No. Instead we are quite reasonably commenting on his quote about the size of a squad and, again, quite reasonably commenting on whether such a slim-line squad could carry some of the players we are speculating might still be with the club next season.
    All of that is perfectly acceptable. So if you could just stop slagging people off as being pathetic for no reason whatsoever it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Look through the thread and i think you will see there is more than one person, and that is some quote about a dog.
  • Yes, we have had no team strategy before so 22 would never be enough. It is one of the owner's big mistakes- taking this control from the manager and just telling him to get on with what he is given! But if approached properly, 22 -25 could easily be enough.
  • seth plum said:

I don't agree two seasons is a fair crack of the whip in the circumstances we are in.
    I expect 50 points by January 31st 2017 followed by promotion as a minimum. More or less the same chance I give the other head coaches. I don't care if the manager is from Micronesia, it is results that count.
    I do wish to beat this regime, and I have been trying a variety of tacks.

You will give him till January ??? Really ???
  • Wait for the Cults mantra "we aim to be competitive " ----- Religsted sides " compete " as pointed out by myself and many others at this stage last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with Slade .. more than 22 the manager is spoilt for choice, perhaps has too many players to think about and with about 22 he can fit a smallish squad into a consistent mould of play .. Players not in the frame for a game get moody, and can spread discontent with moaning ..
    Mourinho was/is always of the opinion that twenty two would do and he won lots at Chelsea with a smallish but versatile and talented squad
  • seth plum said:

I don't agree two seasons is a fair crack of the whip in the circumstances we are in.
    I expect 50 points by January 31st 2017 followed by promotion as a minimum. More or less the same chance I give the other head coaches. I don't care if the manager is from Micronesia, it is results that count.

So you think that bad grammar will finally flip Roland ?

;0)

• braydex said:

CH4RLTON said:

Who the hell are you to refer to genuinely concnerned fans as 'Gobshites'? Slade seems like he's not the only one who is cocksure of himself.
    Genuinely concerned?

Bunch of moaning minnies more like!

Tell me how you can moan about a squad that no one has a clue as to what it will finally look like?
  • I don't see how you can 'expect' anything Seth without having a clue what the squad looks like

I suppose part of my expectation is that the squad looks like winners.
  • edited June 2016

seth plum said:

You will give him till January ??? Really ???
    And you give him two seasons. We differ. However I don't consider your position to be pathetic or you to be a gobshite.
    We differ, I expect this trumpeted at the press conference 'brave new world' to mean a season like the last time we won promotion.
  • Essex_Al said:

braydex said:

CH4RLTON said:

Genuinely concerned?

Bunch of moaning minnies more like!

Tell me how you can moan about a squad that no one has a clue as to what it will finally look like?
    I don't think that is the point.

The point is that people are genuinely concerned that Slade, who has been at the club for 5 minutes is already echoing the thoughts and sounds from KM and RD. Anyone who thinks that a squad of 22 in League one, (which will undoubtedly include several kids), can achieve a play-off place is mistaken. Dont get me wrong, I dont think anyone is saying we need a squad of 40, but 22 is too small.

'Moaning minnies' is at least slightly more humorous than calling other members 'Gobshites'.
  • Pope, Henderson
    Solly, RCC
    Teixeira, Bauer
    Sarr, Lennon
    Fox, THD
    Cousins, Jackson
    Diarra, Kashi
    JBG, Ceballos
    Marriott, Lookman
    Vetokele, Watt
    KAG, Tucudean

Dmitrovic, Ba, Bergdich, Johnson

A couple of youngsters too like Umerah and Konsa, so basically anyone on that list that's gets sold needs to be replaced.

• I don't see problem with what he has said, It's often squads that use the least amount of players who tend to do well in the lower leagues. He also is a manager who instills a team bond in any squad he gathers so it wouldn't be good to have a massive squad with unhappy players not playing. I done a little research and it would appear he used 32 players last season at Cardiff and 8 of those players played either 1 or 2 games, and of course as we know they had a good season, the season before he used 42 players in which they were deemed to have had a poor season so maybe he realises for his method of managing it's better to utilize a smaller squad. Obviously there will be some that will not bother reading and will dismiss any half glass fall suggestions but I'm quite glad to be a half glass full person and will back Slade rather than dismiss him as a puppet and question every little thing he says.
  • When Jose came over to England for the first time he said he only needed roughly 22 players, 2 for each position. Then you have some players that can play in a variety of positions to add cover. If you assemble a decent squad why would you need more than that?
  • edited June 2016
    This chart shows the number of players used by each League 1club last season .. the figures surprised me .. BUT .. this season there will be few if any loans available for managers and that will make a huge difference, quality not quantity will be the order of the day, managers can't get away with lazy signings, every squad member will need to contribute
    Look at Walsall, not quite good enough for promotion, but the club used very few players .. there is a definite correlation between using few players and success/final table position, albeit all over 22 .. look at Burton Albion !!

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3
  • Sponsored links:

• When Jose came over to England for the first time he said he only needed roughly 22 players, 2 for each position. Then you have some players that can play in a variety of positions to add cover. If you assemble a decent squad why would you need more than that?

He would say that - because that's what KM and RD wanted. It is therefore no surprise that Slade is now saying the same thing. Perhaps becuase it's still what KM and RD want!
  • I don't see problem with what he has said, It's often squads that use the least amount of players who tend to do well in the lower leagues. He also is a manager who instills a team bond in any squad he gathers so it wouldn't be good to have a massive squad with unhappy players not playing. I done a little research and it would appear he used 32 players last season at Cardiff and 8 of those players played either 1 or 2 games, and of course as we know they had a good season, the season before he used 42 players in which they were deemed to have had a poor season so maybe he realises for his method of managing it's better to utilize a smaller squad. Obviously there will be some that will not bother reading and will dismiss any half glass fall suggestions but I'm quite glad to be a half glass full person and will back Slade rather than dismiss him as a puppet and question every little thing he says.

Agree but you can't start a season with the attitude "we'll do well if we don't use many players".

Teams that are doing well tend to have to use less players, as the starters tend to be doing the job asked of them.
  • This chart shows the number of players used by each League 1club last season .. the figures surprised me .. BUT .. this season there will be few if any loans available for managers and that will make a huge difference, quality not quantity will be the order of the day, managers can't get away with lazy signings, every squad member will need to contribute
    Look at Walsall, not quite good enough for promotion, but the club used very few players .. there is a definite correlation between using few players and success/final table position, albeit all over 22 .. look at Burton Albion !!

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3

So with a squad of 22, even if every player made an appearance we would still have played the least amount of players in the previous League One season? Perhaps those that believe a squad of 22 is more than enough should ask why every other team in League One last season fielded more than that.

Again, I dont disagree with many on here. I think a manager that is able to field roughly the same starting 11 week afte week tends to do better. But realistically, in order to do that, you still need more than 22 in a squad. Not forgetting that every season, we seem to suffer the same 'injury crisis' which lasts for weeks and weeks with no update on player progress etc. Therefore those that are saying we need a bigger squad than 22 are perhaps justified in claiming that?
  • edited June 2016
    Therefore those that are saying we need a bigger squad than 22 are perhaps justified in claiming that?

I agree with @hawksmoor .. i.e. the headline post is wrong/deliberately misleading ?, Slade intimated between 22 and 25 .. look at last season, Burton (first) (Or was it second ?), Walsall (3rd)(Or was it fourth ) ((:>) used the least players .. I will write again .. NO LOANS AVAILABLE = MORE CAREFUL SIGNINGS .. SEE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SUCCESS LAST SEASON AND FEWEST PLAYERS USED ..
    If we end next season having used 35 to 40 players, which will not happen as the loan system is virtually finished, I'll guarantee that we'll be in the bottom 1/2 of the table .. 22 players with back up from the youth system should suffice ..
  • Looking at that spreadsheet it seems that the more successful sides used less players, you also have to remember how many of those teams signed players on loan towards the end of the season. I would say 22-25 is actually a very good number to START the season with as does Russell Slade.
  • Looking at that spreadsheet it seems that the more successful sides used less players, you also have to remember how many of those teams signed players on loan towards the end of the season. I would say 22-25 is actually a very good number to START the season with as does Russell Slade.

apart from mine .. the most sensible post yet ((:>)
  • This sounds remarkably like last seasons policy in which the SMT then had the balls to say was a mistake in which they would learn from.

Sounds like another lie to me Daisy