Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slade says we only need squad of 22

Comments

• with 22 players dont expect much of a cup run in any of the competitions.

I reckon we need the following

GK - 3 (2 + 1 youth)
    Def - 12 ( based on suspensions and injuries etc)
    MF - 7 ( again based on suspensions and injuries)
    S - 5 (3+2 youth)

So that is 27 and that assumes any youth players are good enough to actually step.

• The big question is - will leaving the EU affect our ground breaking scouting system? Or, put another way, will Roland still be able to get the pictures of all those world wide games in his office?
  • edited June 2016
    22 players at the start of the season and then 10 bought at Christmas. No problem.
  • He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.
  • He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
  • colin1961 said:

22 is large enough any manager wants two players for each position plus young players got to be careful not to block the path to the first team for our young players of which 3/4 will become first team players this season

The problem with that is that our squad won't be 22 plus young players will it? it will be 22 including young players. And considering that some of the 22 will be injury prone/can't last 46 games like Solly, Jackson, Diarra and others like Igor (if he stays) and Kashi coming off long term injuries, then a squad of 22 will in no way be good enough to cope with the demands of a 46 game season.
  • He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
    The guy knows the league. So why not give him a chance before digging him out?

fixed it for you
    I think it is because he is the appointment of the regime. Slade has to achieve promotion as a minimum for fans to accept him in a kind of neutral fashion. I have always quite liked him as a bloke, but now he is at my club he has to deliver with no excuses.
  • colin1961 said:

22 is large enough any manager wants two players for each position plus young players got to be careful not to block the path to the first team for our young players of which 3/4 will become first team players this season

Pure nonsense.

You can get away with 11 but we are not talking about a Sunday league team here.
    There is a little more to building a squad than working from the arse end of the balance sheet.
  • The big question is - will leaving the EU affect our ground breaking scouting system? Or, put another way, will Roland still be able to get the pictures of all those world wide games in his office?

The bigger question is will the liar lose her right to live and 'work' in the UK.

I'm oot!

• Sponsored links:

• As @Scoham has implied, you can get away with 22 if they are good enough and if the backroom medical and fitness team is superior to those of the other clubs.

I would argue even then it would be very difficult especially towards the back end of a season when fatigue and injuries begin to take their toll.

Also won't it just limit our options and the way can play? What happens if one player losses form and his replacement picks up an injury. Will we have enough personal to change shape or cover that position.

Be interesting to know Slades squad sizes when he managed Orient. If there were that small before then maybe he knows that he could be successful and this is coming from him and not the clowns upstairs.

As @Scoham has implied, you can get away with 22 if they are good enough and if the backroom medical and fitness team is superior to those of the other clubs.

I would argue even then it would be very difficult especially towards the back end of a season when fatigue and injuries begin to take their toll.

Also won't it just limit our options and the way can play? What happens if one player losses form and his replacement picks up an injury. Will we have enough personal to change shape or cover that position.

Be interesting to know Slades squad sizes when he managed Orient. If there were that small before then maybe he knows that he could be successful and this is coming from him and not the clowns upstairs.
    Without looking it up would say that he would have had a small squad at the Os as they have always had tight budgets. Probably one of the things that made him an a attractive proposition to RD and KM.
  • depends who the 22 are !

Is the right answer !

22 good, fit & well prepared player, without a history of injuries & have played a good number of games in the last year, should be ok.

We'll need to change our policy, to a sensible one.
  • Depends if they are "Ron's 22" or not.

This time, more than any other time........ we'll get it right!

(you youngsters can Google it!)
  • Under Roly the 22 players we start the season with is usually far from the 22 we finish with. image
  • If the second 11 are as good as the first 11 with a few utility and youth then a smaller squad is a good thing.
  • Depends how many of them are crocks - I got the impression he meant 22 established payers with additional youth team players who are ready pushing it up to 25. There is a balance to be had as too big a squad and the team might be less tight. I am willing to give the bloke a chance. Not the regime, but Slade is not the regime.
  • seth plum said:

He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
    I think it is because he is the appointment of the regime. Slade has to achieve promotion as a minimum for fans to accept him in a kind of neutral fashion. I have always quite liked him as a bloke, but now he is at my club he has to deliver with no excuses.
    This quote has now proven what certain fans of our club are like. We are not going to give him a chance as "t is because he is the appointment of the regime." Pathetic
  • He does say 22-25, not the 22 that it says in the thread title.

For me 22 would leave us very weak, especially with the number of injuries that our training methods produce and our medical/fitness staff seem incapable of dealing with. 25 might just be enough: 11 first teamers, 11 like for like replacements, 1 extra goalie, 2 decent utility men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

Essex_Al said:

Ha, ha, only on CL!

What Slade said was that he wants a squad of 22 with another 3 or 4 of the promising youngsters added to that.

We are in L1 now, how many players do you actually think next season's budget will stretch too?

As Elthamaddick said none of you know who the 22 will be, but don't let that put you off of getting your moaning in early will you!

You really do make me laugh, I bet most of the posters having a dig are the one's not renewing their season tickets. Lucky we've got a budget at all really!

Good job we've got the likes of you to "save" the club then because, as you know, not having a season ticket means you have no interest in the club, whatever your reasons for not buying.
    Spot on as usual Off It
  • It's a knack I have. Bit of a curse sometimes, but I live with it.
  • seth plum said:

He is looking at quality rather than quantity as well as adding 3 to 4 youth players within that squad. Regardless if it is a football team/ squad or within the workplace it is better to have continuity rather than chopping and changing, players will be more settled and confident in the knowledge they will have a run of 10 games rather than 2 or 3 before they are dropped Injured. A prime example last season was Leicester with the infamous Tinker man in charge hardly rotated the team.

fixed it for you
    This quote has now proven what certain fans of our club are like. We are not going to give him a chance as "t is because he is the appointment of the regime." Pathetic
    Certain fans? Or this fan?
    What constitutes a chance then?
    I am clearly giving him a chance to get promotion which is giving him a chance isn't it.
    Because he is the appointment of this regime his starting position is not neutral in my opinion.
  • Just to add, when I said that 25 might be enough, that assumes that they are 25 good signings who are fit and well with recent experience of playing a good number of games at this level. To date the regime has liked to gamble on youngsters, old crocs and people who've not been getting a game. Such gambles can be fine, but you have to account for the fact that they won't all come off. If they continue with the same recruitment strategy, they'll need a few more bodies to allow for the inevitable failures.

Murray was bemoaning the number of key injuries that we had last season, but they didn't all come about by accident. It was as a result of their mismanagement. I hope they've learned from that. But I expect that in a years time they'll still be saying, 'we need to learn from our mistakes'.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

fixed it for you
    Certain fans? Or this fan?
    What constitutes a chance then?
    I am clearly giving him a chance to get promotion which is giving him a chance isn't it.
    Because he is the appointment of this regime his starting position is not neutral in my opinion.
    I would say certain fans, and in terms of what constitutes of a chance is atleast two seasons. In one breath people are moaning that they want a British manager now that they have one he isn't good enough, or are not prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip, you couldn't make it up and i would suggest that if it was any other club we would be mocking them.
    Regardless who is in charge of the club, they are not prepared to sell weather you like it or not, therefore i would urge the fans to get behind Slade and the team, as a team that is in a healthy position playing good football, with decent gates is a more attractive to a potential buyer rather than a toxic one.
    If you wish to beat them try another tack as this one clearly isn't working.
  • I don't agree two seasons is a fair crack of the whip in the circumstances we are in.
    I expect 50 points by January 31st 2017 followed by promotion as a minimum. More or less the same chance I give the other head coaches. I don't care if the manager is from Micronesia, it is results that count.
    I do wish to beat this regime, and I have been trying a variety of tacks.
  • edited June 2016
    2 Goalkeepers (third will be sent on loan)
    2 Right Backs / 2 Left-Backs / 5-Centre Backs
    2 Right-Mid / 2 Left-Mid / 5-Centre Mid
    4 Strikers

Squad of 24 I reckon is probably enough (Maybe one more Striker) as remember there will be players who can play multiple positions... Think that is enough to be competitive in League One, the problem that Roland is. is the squad balance as previously its roughly been.

50% Foreign / 30% Youth / 20% Experience when its needs to be 30% Foreign (max) / 60% Experience / 10% Youth.

i.e. look at the squad we won League One with... Only around 24 players were used on that occasion

Goalkeepers: Hamer / Sullivan
    Right-Backs: Solly ... Left-Backs: Wiggins / Evina
    Centre-Backs: Morrison / Taylor / Cort / Doherty
    Right-Mid: Wagstaff / Green ... Left-Mid: Jackson / * Loans *
    Centre-Mid: Hughes / Pritchard / Stephens / Hollands / Russell
    Strikers: Hayes / Wright-Phillips / Haynes / Kermorgant
  • I don't see how you can 'expect' anything Seth without having a clue what the squad looks like