Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slade says we only need squad of 22

Seems to have signed up to the Roland way in short order.

Now what are those relegation odds?

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118368

Comments

• I think he said 22-25, but he's, sounded a bit thin to me.
  • edited June 2016
  • I think he said 22-25, but he's, sounded a bit thin to me.

Yes I picked the lower figure to make a point but the fact that he said it at all worries me.
  • depends who the 22 are !

At least half with be youngsters
  • We know Roland believes he can re-invent the way to run a club successfully, so assume the small squad approach comes from him, even though his own lickspittles insist that it was injuries and lack of fit cover that did for us last season. Given that some of those who will remain will be the very same who failed us last season, this doesn't bode well.

I really hope this is what Slade believes and not what he has been told to believe.
  • depends who the 22 are !

At least half with be youngsters

You can't win anything with kids.
  • Sponsored links:

• In today's game a squad of only 22 seems a bit lightweight but I have to admit I'm always uncomfortable with the large squads we have had in recent years because it doesn't give a core team a chance to develop and consistency goes out the window (unless, as in charlton's case, it's consistently losing).
  • Well it's an improvement on Fraeyes 11.
  • The link below shows how many each league one team used last season.
    Promoted sides burton, Wigan and Barnsley used 25,36 & 36 respectively.
    The other 3 play off teams 24, 29 & 30.
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2015/filter/alle/plus/1#ath
  • Good to start with a positive, Russell! No doubt our best players will be off-loaded and the academy have to cope.
  • The link below shows how many each league one team used last season.
    Promoted sides burton, Wigan and Barnsley used 25,36 & 36 respectively.
    The other 3 play off teams 24, 29 & 30.
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/eingesetztespieler/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2015/filter/alle/plus/1#ath

It would be interesting to know though what the squad sizes were at any one time. Presumably a number of those individuals were loans and some short-term loans?

Does Brussel know that there's no emergency loan system next season I wonder?

As others have said, there are 22 players and then there are 22 Charlton players. Including the likes of Jackson, Solly and Diarra in a squad and expecting them to do a full season would be very risky indeed.

You'd really have to treat them as bonus features rather than the actual box set.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is the first ' let's slag the manager thread' in disguise? Concentrate the negativity on the owners. We are lucky in our position to have a manager of this calibre so cut him some slack. Let's make him welcome.
  • edited June 2016
    Shock horror. New regime manager singing from the regime's hymn sheet.

I don't expect to hear or read one excuse for bad results or poor form put down to injuries or lack of squad depth as we march our way back to the glory land of the championship.

Murray bemoaned the "bad luck" of injuries and foreign players taking time to bed in defence of abysmal runs so I'm sure they've learned their lessons and know what they are doing entering a gruelling, ultra physical campaign with a squad that could fit comfortably in a ford capri.
  • He's not been here a week and he's been Rolandized already. :(
  • As @Scoham has implied, you can get away with 22 if they are good enough and if the backroom medical and fitness team is superior to those of the other clubs.

I would argue even then it would be very difficult especially towards the back end of a season when fatigue and injuries begin to take their toll.

Also won't it just limit our options and the way can play? What happens if one player losses form and his replacement picks up an injury. Will we have enough personal to change shape or cover that position.

Be interesting to know Slades squad sizes when he managed Orient. If there were that small before then maybe he knows that he could be successful and this is coming from him and not the clowns upstairs.
  • colin1961 said:

22 is large enough any manager wants two players for each position plus young players got to be careful not to block the path to the first team for our young players of which 3/4 will become first team players this season

Which 3 or 4?
  • Around 22 players would be fine if you have a owner that will back you in the loan market like CP had in 2011/12, Brussell will learn he does not have that.
  • colin1961 said:

22 is large enough any manager wants two players for each position plus young players got to be careful not to block the path to the first team for our young players of which 3/4 will become first team players this season

Think you're right - i'm sure we wont get any injuries or suspensions throughout the season.
  • seth plum said:

colin1961 said:

Which 3 or 4?
    I think he means 3/4 of a player.
  • Well, Roland's only going to let him have 22 players anyway.