Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Let's get real please.

Comments

• Though I'm actually quite happy with the appointment, it really doesn't change anything for me. Still won't be renewing and still will be going to as many away games as possible.
    Honestly I have a feeling that Roland has already planned a sale to an extent, in recent interviews/ reports from Belgium he's said he's not selling 'this summer' let's hope the half empty stadium and continued protests help speed it up a bit.
  • kentred2 said:

Essex_Al said:

Granpa, as you can see from the first few replies, you're wasting your time mate!

They've asked for a British manager (not coach!) - they've got it, and he comes with a three year deal!

But as you've already seen, many on here are not willing to at least be cautiously optimistic in our new man!

Instead, they are already planning to demonstrate at the press announcement!, he will be gone by Christmas!, no chance of making his own signings!, puppet of the regime, and all the other ballshit that goes along with it!

It's a start, let's at least see what the next few moths bring!

Actually I'm quite pleased that a lot of them aren't going to come to the games next season. At least we can watch a match properly without all the vitriol and do what Charlton supporters do best, get behind the team that we all love!

See you at the Valley!

Got to be the most ignorant post so far this summer (apart from a few of mine). By supporting the team you are supporting a regime that has not one iota of benefit to the Charlton Athletic Football Club you say you support. The club is in terminal decline unless there are new owners and the only way that will happen is by stepping up the protests inside the Valley. You can voice your opposition to us there and then if you want.
    Yep, that's me an ignoramous!

Thought you lot weren't coming to any more home games next season, so how are you going to protest from inside the Valley?

You've shouted, you've asked for change, now you've got it, but still not enough!

Me personally, I'm happy to give Slade a chance to change our fortunes around, maybe, just maybe, RD has seen the error of his ways, time will tell!

If that makes me ignorant then so be it!
  • Roland's chief apologist Essex Al in da house

Change the record, your just boring now!
  • Granpa said:

The appointment of Russell Slade is a mega climb-down. BRITiSH, MANAGER, 3YEAR CONTRACT, This represents a recognition of the need to make changes in thinking by the owner, and great work by CARD and others. Now if we want the Club to move forward we all need to take a positive attitude towards the situation. Of course I am aware that more things need to change, but let's show Roland what being proper Charlton really means. He has learned a valuable lesson, now let's open his eyes to more. Forget about Katien, she is ridculously misplaced in her role. Let's get behind Russell and the lads, and would the ' glass half full ' brigade kindly bugger off somewhere else.

Laughable post. "Forget about Katrien," he says. I will - when she's gone.

You also don't need to tell fans to bugger off (not that your suggestion will be paid much credence by many). Thousands of fans are already refusing to renew. And if you think the appointment of Slade should and will convince them to return on a whim, then you're even more deluded than Roland.
  • DOUCHER said:

Of course all is not suddenly okay but I am willing to throw my support back behind things and will not be protesting. I will now be renewing my season ticket. I believe it is a short term strategy from RD - one to get us up so he can sell and not make massive losses. However, the way I see it is, if we go up and he doesn't sell but continues then that's fine - I like the academy investment and maybe the realism that that is the future has to be acknowledged - allied to a good football management structure (which has been missing) might just see the whole thing work (regardless of meire's foot in the mouth prem stars of the future stuff - if we have a chance of going up to prem I believe we will go for it but not at all costs - just that she can't articulate herself properly).

The worst case scenario is if we don't go up - he won't sell then and we may end up as this lower league player farm we are all worried about. So on that basis, regardless of whether its seen as supporting 'the enemy' I will be fully behind the team in getting back up next year. Plenty of good derbies as well.

Good on yer pal!

• Essex_Al said:

kentred2 said:

Essex_Al said:

Granpa, as you can see from the first few replies, you're wasting your time mate!

They've asked for a British manager (not coach!) - they've got it, and he comes with a three year deal!

But as you've already seen, many on here are not willing to at least be cautiously optimistic in our new man!

Instead, they are already planning to demonstrate at the press announcement!, he will be gone by Christmas!, no chance of making his own signings!, puppet of the regime, and all the other ballshit that goes along with it!

Actually I'm quite pleased that a lot of them aren't going to come to the games next season. At least we can watch a match properly without all the vitriol and do what Charlton supporters do best, get behind the team that we all love!

See you at the Valley!

Got to be the most ignorant post so far this summer (apart from a few of mine). By supporting the team you are supporting a regime that has not one iota of benefit to the Charlton Athletic Football Club you say you support. The club is in terminal decline unless there are new owners and the only way that will happen is by stepping up the protests inside the Valley. You can voice your opposition to us there and then if you want.

Thought you lot weren't coming to any more home games next season, so how are you going to protest from inside the Valley?

You've shouted, you've asked for change, now you've got it, but still not enough!

Me personally, I'm happy to give Slade a chance to change our fortunes around, maybe, just maybe, RD has seen the error of his ways, time will tell!

Changing the manager was going to happen anyway. Yes he's british but you can surely understand the scepticism when the last british manager we approached less than a month ago, walked away from talks because he wasn't given assurances in writing about having full control of signings.
    If Slade has basically signed a deal to become a non-Belgian puppet then what has actually changed here?
    As someone said earlier on, we'll soon know who's controlling signings once the new players arrive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Granpa said:

The appointment of Russell Slade is a mega climb-down. BRITiSH, MANAGER, 3YEAR CONTRACT, This represents a recognition of the need to make changes in thinking by the owner, and great work by CARD and others. Now if we want the Club to move forward we all need to take a positive attitude towards the situation. Of course I am aware that more things need to change, but let's show Roland what being proper Charlton really means. He has learned a valuable lesson, now let's open his eyes to more. Forget about Katien, she is ridculously misplaced in her role. Let's get behind Russell and the lads, and would the ' glass half full ' brigade kindly bugger off somewhere else.

Do you mean 'empty?'
  • Essex_Al said:

kentred2 said:

Essex_Al said:

See you at the Valley!

You've done it again. I hope for your sake you're just a WUM.
  • So the dead cat strategy is 'ooo look an English manager' and as the rest of the place burns to the ground.
  • Stig said:

Granpa said:

terrific post .. there just MUST be a 'ceasefire' for the first (say) six games of Slade's regime .. then if things are still seriously tits up, CARD & Co can start blasting away once more .. IF NOT, any new players (if any/many) and Slade, as experienced as he is, will be demoralised before the season is even properly under way
    A ceasefire might have been appropriate had the demonstrations solely been about poor performances. They never were. Whilst uninspiring football, consistent and heavy defeats and relegation obviously fuelled fans' anger, that wasn't the root of the problem. The nub of it was, is and always will be the nature of the board. They are not in it for footballing reasons. They have been underhand and duplicitous. Nothing in this appointment gives us any reason to believe that that has changed. Roly will still be disinterested. Meire will still be incompetent. Both will continue to treat the fans with contempt. There is no reason for any hope that the appointment of Slade, means they have changed.
    You jump to a lot of conclusions about the current regime. How do you know that 'they have not changed' for the better ? .. Answer .. you're presuming/guessing/too set in your ways to consider any other possibility other than what 'you believe'
    I am presuming (you'll tell me if I am wrong) that you no longer attend CAFC games as you have no wish to give funds to the Duchatelet regime .. if that's so, give your protests a rest and allow those (probably still a majority) who want to see the club do well on the field, and although they might very well wish the Duchatelet regime gone, would like to see a respite in the protests just to see if there is an improvement in player recruitment and on field performance. I.e., a 'ceasefire'.
    Say, for example, that we got promoted next season, I guess you would still be protesting, we get to the premier league and Duchatelet remains in situ, you are still protesting .. then methinks thou dost protest far tooooooo much. Still I guess you'd be wearing the black & white scarf and preaching but only to the converted.
    Conversely, as I have written several times on here, if after a few games, the team is still rubbish and underperforming, THEN get the guns back on deck and start blasting away at the perfidious Belgian
  • Karel Fraeye is the only manager who didn't have my support. So as pointed out the situation hasn't really changed for most of us yet

I agree this is a welcomed change of direction by our illustrious dictator leader, but in itself isn't going to be enough. There's a lot of other policies and operating procedures that are going to have to change before I'll consider supporting the regime or stop protesting.

• If Meire was replaced I might, just might, see a glimmer of change, not on the appointment of one individual when so many things are wrong. Good luck to Mr Slade and welcome to the madhouse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

kentred2 said:

Essex_Al said:

See you at the Valley!

You are actually for real aren't you?

• Look at where we are and how we got here, the continuous clown show which has seen a reputable club become a travelling circus freak show.

Sign a British manager and we are back on track and should follow blindly?

Come the end of September, lets see what the squad looks like, if there is strength in depth for a League 1 season then maybe a lesson has finally been learnt at some point. But to me it feels like there is still too many broken things loitering the club to be optimistic.

Will always back the team but I cannot think that everything is now going to be alright.
  • Granpa said:

So you're not getting a season ticket to West Ham next season now then?
  • The only thing that has changed today is that the club has now appointed it's sixth manager/head coach since they took over. The squad looked woefully under-numbered at the start of last season and time will tell if we are in better shape for the up-coming one. The fact that Meire is still in her job and has spouted her mouth off in the last month at a conference, suggests to me that any real change is purely cosmetic.
  • Stig said:

Granpa said:

terrific post .. there just MUST be a 'ceasefire' for the first (say) six games of Slade's regime .. then if things are still seriously tits up, CARD & Co can start blasting away once more .. IF NOT, any new players (if any/many) and Slade, as experienced as he is, will be demoralised before the season is even properly under way
    A ceasefire might have been appropriate had the demonstrations solely been about poor performances. They never were. Whilst uninspiring football, consistent and heavy defeats and relegation obviously fuelled fans' anger, that wasn't the root of the problem. The nub of it was, is and always will be the nature of the board. They are not in it for footballing reasons. They have been underhand and duplicitous. Nothing in this appointment gives us any reason to believe that that has changed. Roly will still be disinterested. Meire will still be incompetent. Both will continue to treat the fans with contempt. There is no reason for any hope that the appointment of Slade, means they have changed.
    You jump to a lot of conclusions about the current regime. How do you know that 'they have not changed' for the better ? .. Answer .. you're presuming/guessing/too set in your ways to consider any other possibility other than what 'you believe'
    I am presuming (you'll tell me if I am wrong) that you no longer attend CAFC games as you have no wish to give funds to the Duchatelet regime .. if that's so, give your protests a rest and allow those (probably still a majority) who want to see the club do well on the field, and although they might very well wish the Duchatelet regime gone, would like to see a respite in the protests just to see if there is an improvement in player recruitment and on field performance. I.e., a 'ceasefire'.
    Say, for example, that we got promoted next season, I guess you would still be protesting, we get to the premier league and Duchatelet remains in situ, you are still protesting .. then methinks thou dost protest far tooooooo much. Still I guess you'd be wearing the black & white scarf and preaching but only to the converted.
    Conversely, as I have written several times on here, if after a few games, the team is still rubbish and underperforming, THEN get the guns back on deck and start blasting away at the perfidious Belgian
    Everyone has their own tipping point. Some will never set foot in the Valley until the regime has gone, others will now start getting out the bunting.

Personally I am cautious (but not optimistic). If the squad matches Slade's requirements then I will attend (whilst minimising spend) and will probably wind back 'in game' protests to support the team - at least for a few games.
    However, I definitely think a couple of 'kick-off disruption' protests, just to let them know we are still here, should occur and there is no reason to stop post-game protests or other media activity whilst KM/TC/RM have any say in the day-to-day running of the club.

That is my position. I know some will boycott, I know some will tut if I wear a CARD shirt and I know there will be plenty of stand up chants that I may not join in with again.
    I am happy for people to have their own point of view (and I am happy to explain my stance, even though I realise some of the logic is flawed).

Reading this back - I'm not sure of the point of my ramble, I think I'm neither for nor against Lincs or Stig. I think my position is not so much a ceasefire, but a fall back to skirmishing/propaganda while I try and work out if there has been anything other than a cosmetic change.
  • Essex_Al said:

Roland's chief apologist Essex Al in da house

Essex_Al said:

Roland's chief apologist Essex Al in da house

only just now ........ Unlike yourself