Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fishing

Comments

• Options

i shall be walking down the cliff at the end of the week to the sea wall and attempting to snare a few mackerel ---last year it was 2 nil to them but it was the September. Locals tell me they havnt shown yet but i think this "heat wave" may bring em in. Not looking forward to the walk back tho !

I can remember my old man fishing for mackerel near dungeness when I was a kid. He seemed to me to be catching hundreds of them, several on the line at one time.
  • Options

i shall be walking down the cliff at the end of the week to the sea wall and attempting to snare a few mackerel ---last year it was 2 nil to them but it was the September. Locals tell me they havnt shown yet but i think this "heat wave" may bring em in. Not looking forward to the walk back tho !

I can remember my old man fishing for mackerel near dungeness when I was a kid. He seemed to me to be catching hundreds of them, several on the line at one time.
    That's right Dave,

We often get a boat out when we visit Cornwall and do a bit of mackerel fishing. Lob a line over the side with 6-8 lures attached to it and you have every chance of bringing up 6-8 fish each time.

The skipper normally lets us keep the largest 4 we catch and the rest he keeps.

When the mackerel are biting there is not much skill involved but it is still good fun.
  • Options
    We organised trip with the Horse and Groom a few times off Deal. Caught some lovely gurnard and mackerel, foul hook em through the tail the lot
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mate nearly caught a few things from the Doom and gloom
  • Options
    So what happened Gooner, are you busy tucking into Thai style mackerel?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thursday or Friday mate

Ps I ain't a Gooner !!!
  • Options
    Haven't fished properly in years, was massively into it between the age of 13-17 then I discovered other things and haven't really been since.

Got the taste for it back though, watched the fishing programme that's recently been on itv with Ali Hamidi and dean Macey and it's got me right back in the mood.

Going to go down to Lucks Lane in paddock wood on the 6th, usually pull in around 40 small carp between 2lb- 15lb in a day session there, although I can't seem to find any recent information on whether it's still open, does anyone know?
  • Options

Haven't fished properly in years, was massively into it between the age of 13-17 then I discovered other things and haven't really been since.

Got the taste for it back though, watched the fishing programme that's recently been on itv with Ali Hamidi and dean Macey and it's got me right back in the mood.

Going to go down to Lucks Lane in paddock wood on the 6th, usually pull in around 40 small carp between 2lb- 15lb in a day session there, although I can't seem to find any recent information on whether it's still open, does anyone know?

Went past it last week
    New sign on gate
    Deff open
    New owners I believe
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Does fishing not bother people on here? I'm a bit of a soft fella and I'd feel incredibly guilty holding a fish out of water and have it suffocate in my hands.

There are lots of different types of fishing Nick and as with anything you will find some inconsiderate people. However, the vast majority of anglers I've met over the years are very conscious of looking after their catch (if course fishing) and very environmentally friendly. Specimen anglers will carry with them a medical ointment to dab onto any sores or missing scales etc. and whilst holding the fish over a padded mat will place it back as quickly as possible, a big satisfaction is seeing it swim away healthy.

It's an incredibly relaxing past time and gets you at one with nature.

I suffer from a mental illness and it's the only time I ever get to fully relax, even if I don't catch very much just being out in the countryside is good for my health.

I know others will have opposing views.

Going by the previous posts it would be good to keep this thread about people that enjoy fishing rather than a debate on the rights and wrongs if possible.

Spot on red Murph
    It's all about being out there in nice surroundings
    A nice fish is just a bonus
  • Options
    It was up for sale £250k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My favorite fish of the session
    I thought the scale formation is stunning
    Proving size isn't everything
  • Options
    Cheers fellas, gunna try and remember how to play a fish!
  • Options

Nice one that, what lake is that from?
  • Options
    Finished work early, going to head over to danson and do a couple hours over there as never fished it, any tips on bait etc?
  • Options
    I spent 15 hours fishing yesterday and got one 8lb carp all day.

Not pleased as my mate got 7 or 8 bream and 12lb carp.
  • Options

Cheers fellas, gunna try and remember how to play a fish!

Practice your scales and you should be able to get a tuna out of it.
  • Options

Finished work early, going to head over to danson and do a couple hours over there as never fished it, any tips on bait etc?

What do they stock, your bait will be decided by that I'd say.

Hopefully one of the fountains of knowledge on here will no doubt confirm the best bait for that lake.
  • Options
    will try for the mackeral mid morning high tide friday. Looking from the cliff top with thebinos 2 guys static fishing and wow the high tide is over the breakwater.
  • Options

I don't have bait advice GJ but from a fishing forum I'm on I do remember someone saying the swims in the dam end normally produced best. Not an easy water.

Is Danson angling still going?

• Options
    red_murph said:

I don't have bait advice GJ but from a fishing forum I'm on I do remember someone saying the swims in the dam end normally produced best. Not an easy water.

As I got my fishing gear together it appears my bag with all my tackle bite alarms etc has gone missing. Went over there anyways and nipped into danson angling for some basic bits, ended up 40 quid down.

Put it this way, I'm home already, all the weed has been churned up, all the birds are just eating any bait you throw out and then you got people in rowing boats going right on top of where you're fishing. What topped it off was a dog coming over and knicking my luncheon meat which had my only baiting needle stuck in it, which subsequently went missing.
    So I packed up. Won't be going back there in a hurry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

red_murph said:

As I got my fishing gear together it appears my bag with all my tackle bite alarms etc has gone missing. Went over there anyways and nipped into danson angling for some basic bits, ended up 40 quid down.

Put it this way, I'm home already, all the weed has been churned up, all the birds are just eating any bait you throw out and then you got people in rowing boats going right on top of where you're fishing. What topped it off was a dog coming over and knicking my luncheon meat which had my only baiting needle stuck in it, which subsequently went missing.
    That's the only thing about going to a tackle shop, very easy to always spends lots more than intended! Good to hear Danson angling is still going, it's where I got my first lot of carp rods from years back.

Sounds like a nightmare session!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    red_murph said:

red_murph said:

That's the only thing about going to a tackle shop, very easy to always spends lots more than intended! Good to hear Danson angling is still going, it's where I got my first lot of carp rods from years back.

Sounds like a nightmare session!

Was awful, then got home and got a phone call "I know where your fishing bag is, it's in a black bag tucked in the loft" so spent 40 quid for no reason haha
  • Options

Orchard farm lake 7
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Used to fish Danson quite a bit in the 80s
    Was a cracking water then for some reason went clear and weedy and the carp dissapeared
  • Options

Orchard farm lake 7
    That was a cracking looking fish the 1st of the session caught 1st cast
    Weighed 22lb was also the smallest of the session
    Lake 7 holds some great fish but is the hardest lake of the complex
    Lake 1,2,or 3 are easier
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Walked down the cliff had a go--- tide very high -- got wet-- caught naff all. Walked back up cliff---- it's a schlep -- good work out---- Spitefire in DDay markings flew over-- saw aflock of bull finches .
    Peeps saying the water is still to cold for mackerel ---but it's 3 nil to the fish ----till the next time
  • Options
    We live near the White House in top of the cliff
  • Options
    Nice.... looks amazing.
  • Options
    Just started fishing again after a five year break and loving it! Have renewed a good chunk of tackle and brought my first pole - 11m Drennan Carp - have fished it three times now and had 8 bream to 5lbs out in a two hour twighlight session last night - and...... I actually had to play them! Were still biting well but I had to go as it got dark and I had no lights etc.

First time out had a couple of carp about 8lb on a number six elastic and 2lb end and had to play them very carefully.

Like the pole, and the way very light tackle can be placed with inch perfect precision however wished I had gone straight for something longer - that said it is robust and I am making loads of mistakes.

Also brought a Drennan Acolyte 13ft float rod which is easily the best rod I have owned .
  • Options
    Where was fishing IA?