Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club is now essentially worthless

Comments

• edited May 2016

North Greenwich Station is right there - just 2 mins from CW, and 15 mins from London Bridge.

If you reversed the logic and said we were moving (lets say) from North Greenwich to The Valley everyone would think you were insane.

I'm pretty sure that's a given (not Shay), but possibly true for most of us...
  • I would not like Citi/HSBC and the like as sponsors of my team, but I take your point that we will need to adapt to the changing landscape of the area. Obviously the current regime don't seem to be thinking about this at all, but I can't remember either of the previous two owners touching much on it.

I still feel like, with clever investment, connection to the local community, and good marketing and branding, we could be that "everyone's second team," stay of the Valley, but still tap into that catchment area. I would pitch it as (and apologies for the corporate speak) "a more authentic, traditional 'matchday experience' at a club with strong roots in YOUR local community that is family friendly, affordable, and relatively successful on the pitch."

Basically, I think there is a middle ground that could be incredibly successful with far lower risk and investment required without tearing up the blueprint and starting again.

• You can use whatever logic you want but The Valley is our home. Who cares about 'growing businesses', 'posh flats' and underground stations? Just listen to yourself. What a load of old tosh.

I've given my logic, how about you provide some for dissing my idea ?
  • You can use whatever logic you want but The Valley is our home. Who cares about 'growing businesses', 'posh flats' and underground stations? Just listen to yourself. What a load of old tosh.

Can't be bothered with your form of 'logic.' I spent seven years going to other grounds. Don't want to do it again. The Valley is our home. That my form of logic.
    So, you can diss (with no logic) holes in my logic, but you can't be 'bothered' to provide any background to yours other than sentimentality - am i reading that right ?!
  • SDAddick said:

2.5 miles as per Google Maps.

Cheers. I'm pretty sure that journey has taken me an hour split between sitting on a bus and walking alongside it moving slightly faster than the bus through a construction zone.

Is your thinking that putting us right in the middle of the growing businesses and new posh (banker twats') flats would really help grow the fanbase in a way that being 2.5 miles away (even with good transport links) couldn't do? Basically having the club amongst that growing part of London would make it the community club for that area (for better and worse)?

I can see how that would make sense, but part of me feels like no matter what we do, that area is going to be chalk full of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, and increasingly West Ham fans due to those clubs being more "fashionable."

Also, just want to say this is pure idle, off-season speculation for me, I'm not ignoring sentiment or precedent, I'm just putting off doing a boring proposal for work.
    Banker twat flats @The_President
  • Well we have to get rid of the current owners first - nothing concrete anyway - just the reason for more interest in us than there might ordinarily be.
  • Sponsored links:

• i doubt a 40,000 capacity stadium would be built if we did ever move to the peninsular, more like 10k, possibly 15 to 20k. We're now basically a small feeder club. There are just a few of us that will be going to matches, so I guess we've got our Charlton back, so a large stadium won't be necessary.
  • No matter where we roam,
    The Valley is our Home.

End of.

• I wasn't alive during the Selhurst years, or the Valley party. But there is no way I would go and watch Charlton play their home games anywhere other than the Valley. It wouldn't be Charlton if that happened.
  • Honestly if it was up to me I'd move us in a heartbeat, it's not a move to another team's area, it's still practically in Charlton, it's not an MK Dons style move, but we'd be able to capitalise on building more executive boxes etc as it would be a nicer place to take clients for companies. But as I said we'd have to be an established Premier League team again for it to work.

I know The Valley is our home and we fought hard to get it back, but halting potential progress just to stay in the same location would be foolhardy.

Obviously it's all hypothetical right now anyway, but you can't let the past hold back your future
  • But as others have said Sam - we can increase The Valley to 40'000, possibly 40'000+ if necessary, with nice new posh executive boxes. Anyway, that debate is a good few years away yet, sadly.
  • The Greenwich peninsular is a soulless business park with a cable car that goes nowhere.

The Valley is Proper Charlton. If you discard sentiment from football, you are left with something closer to Roland's philosophy. Home really is where the heart is in this case.

Apart from match days I wouldn't actually call The Valley anything much else than soulless.

Yes it is our home. Yes it means a lot but if remaining at The Valley was to endanger our future existence as a club then moving wouldn't bother me.

Just my opinion but the future of football is not going to be based in tight residential streets where old style stadiums get filled once a fortnight.

• I support Charlton not the Stadium - if a move helped the club and we were still in the local area I wouldn't be against it. It's hardly an issue at the moment anyway.
  • Nice to see some support.
  • North Greenwich Station is right there - just 2 mins from CW, and 15 mins from London Bridge.

If you reversed the logic and said we were moving (lets say) from North Greenwich to The Valley everyone would think you were insane.

A game on Tuesday night with a concert at the O2 turning out at the same time, it is bad enough getting away when there is just concert at the O2.
  • Nice to see some support.

Wait until next season when there will just be 3,000 or so of us turning up for games. I suspect the boycotters will only be speeding along the inevitable closure of the valley. Hopefully it never comes down to a choice between a new ground close by or the franchise being moved to another part of the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:

North Greenwich Station is right there - just 2 mins from CW, and 15 mins from London Bridge.

A game on Tuesday night with a concert at the O2 turning out at the same time, it is bad enough getting away when there is just concert at the O2.
    A game would finish circa 9.30. whereas concert chucking out time is 10.30.

How many Tuesday night games would there be in the Premiership? 1/2 max. ?
  • sam3110 said:

Honestly if it was up to me I'd move us in a heartbeat, it's not a move to another team's area, it's still practically in Charlton, it's not an MK Dons style move, but we'd be able to capitalise on building more executive boxes etc as it would be a nicer place to take clients for companies. But as I said we'd have to be an established Premier League team again for it to work.

I know The Valley is our home and we fought hard to get it back, but halting potential progress just to stay in the same location would be foolhardy.

Obviously it's all hypothetical right now anyway, but you can't let the past hold back your future

I went into Asda's on edge of North Greenwich on Saturday - the sign inside said 'Welcome to Asda Charlton'
  • edited May 2016
    For me The Valley is Charlton.

But as a sixty plus male fourth generation fan my opinion is irrelevant I realise.

I may be making a leap or two too far but if leaving The Valley is CARD's alternative to Roland then I have a real problem. I detest his regime but even he (yet) hasn't mooted leaving The Valley.
  • LenGlover said:

But as a sixty plus male fourth generation fan my opinion is irrelevant I realise.

I may be making a leap or two too far but if leaving The Valley is CARD's alternative to Roland then I have a real problem. I detest his regime but even he (yet) hasn't mooted leaving The Valley.

Well I'm a sixty plus fan too and I refuse to accept that my opinion is irrelevant apart from at home of course.

The Valley is our home but to refuse to accept that at some point in the future it might be necessary to move away is ridiculous. Now this might be forty, fifty years or longer into the future or indeed never but I reiterate from above that any club that doesn't consider all commercial possibilities to maximise revenue will wither on the vine. Football is now just all about money. That's another argument but it's a fact that the clubs that have it call the shots.

I don't think that the old model of football stadia tucked into small residential streets is either sustainable or desirable going forward. The football I grew up with is no longer in existence. Things do change. Not always for the better but they do change.

If CAFC had a brighter and assured future away from The Valley than it did by remaining I would reluctantly embrace that.

• @sam3110 I like the idea of wheel in pitch, wheel in gardens and allotments. Would need more space then the picture but would be amazing.

Rather stay at the valley though. Dug out of the chalk to be our home.

Yeah, but you cant stop progress profiteering though- cant stand still.
    There, fixed it for you.

;o)

• LenGlover said:

Well I'm a sixty plus fan too and I refuse to accept that my opinion is irrelevant apart from at home of course.

The Valley is our home but to refuse to accept that at some point in the future it might be necessary to move away is ridiculous. Now this might be forty, fifty years or longer into the future or indeed never but I reiterate from above that any club that doesn't consider all commercial possibilities to maximise revenue will wither on the vine. Football is now just all about money. That's another argument but it's a fact that the clubs that have it call the shots.

I don't think that the old model of football stadia tucked into small residential streets is either sustainable or desirable going forward. The football I grew up with is no longer in existence. Things do change. Not always for the better but they do change.

If CAFC had a brighter and assured future away from The Valley than it did by remaining I would reluctantly embrace that.

Did you get approval of that statement from home before posting it? Risky.
  • 25May98 said:

You can use whatever logic you want but The Valley is our home. Who cares about 'growing businesses', 'posh flats' and underground stations? Just listen to yourself. What a load of old tosh.

We sold out every week in the premiership. We do have the fans to fill a 30,000 plus stadium. We just need to be in the premiership and we need to increase capacity.

The Valley is our home. We fought for over seven years to get back there. Charlton should remain in Charlton.
    We would be the sole members. Getting promoted to the Premier league is a different and difficult situation :-)
  • I'm sorry but this is very over top, Its a bad period for the club.

Charlton Athletic will not cease to exist, lets not be silly.
  • SDAddick said:

2.5 miles as per Google Maps.

Cheers. I'm pretty sure that journey has taken me an hour split between sitting on a bus and walking alongside it moving slightly faster than the bus through a construction zone.

Is your thinking that putting us right in the middle of the growing businesses and new posh (banker twats') flats would really help grow the fanbase in a way that being 2.5 miles away (even with good transport links) couldn't do? Basically having the club amongst that growing part of London would make it the community club for that area (for better and worse)?

I can see how that would make sense, but part of me feels like no matter what we do, that area is going to be chalk full of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, and increasingly West Ham fans due to those clubs being more "fashionable."

Also, just want to say this is pure idle, off-season speculation for me, I'm not ignoring sentiment or precedent, I'm just putting off doing a boring proposal for work.
    You got it.And also would likely bring in a much higher quality of sponsorship a la Brighton - who would you rather have as a sponsor for your team, Titan Lifts or HSBC/Citi?

As you said, sentimentality shouldnt enter into this, and, as I said, lets move forward - coz we certainly aint now, are we?
    HSBC would fit very well with the current regime. How much trouble are they in for incompetence.