Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club is now essentially worthless

As long as RD and KM remain in charge we are heading towards league 2, points deductions, possible ground closure and a disappearing fanbase. We will cease to function as a football club but even then I imagine they still wouldn't concede there's a problem.
Farcical situation where most fans have completely lost interest in the football - interesting to see how this pans out.

Comments

• Suthers said:

Oh I don't know...run the club down and down, sell the Valley for development, move into a ground-share arrangement, possibly with West Ham or a new stadium with Millwall perhaps....the future looks mapped out to me, but what do I know...

Been saying the same for a while. I still think we'll be sharing with Orient at some stage.
  • The only good thing is that the value of Roland's asset continues to drop.
  • Trouble is, rich people hate being told what to do, especially by poor people! I fear Duchatelet is one of those bitter, spiteful types who is happy to ride it all the way to destruction because he will not be defied.

It's not like Oyston, Chellino or the Venky's have paid a blind bit of notice to any protests. This could turn into a horrible game of chicken where both sides are strangling Charlton to death and neither will back down. Is our only hope that Duchatelet dies first?!
  • Missed It said:

Trouble is, rich people hate being told what to do, especially by poor people! I fear Duchatelet is one of those bitter, spiteful types who is happy to ride it all the way to destruction because he will not be defied.

It's not like Oyston, Chellino or the Venky's have paid a blind bit of notice to any protests. This could turn into a horrible game of chicken where both sides are strangling Charlton to death and neither will back down. Is our only hope that Duchatelet dies first?!

This. Exactly this is my worry. He is rich enough to write off £20m to bankroll us into the conference before liquidising the club and leaving us no ground for AFC Charlton to play.
  • edited May 2016

Missed It said:

Trouble is, rich people hate being told what to do, especially by poor people! I fear Duchatelet is one of those bitter, spiteful types who is happy to ride it all the way to destruction because he will not be defied.

This. Exactly this is my worry. He is rich enough to write off £20m to bankroll us into the conference before liquidising the club and leaving us no ground for AFC Charlton to play.
    Then I would hope he enjoys my piss on his grave (only jesting.. wouldn't want to be near the man dead or alive). There will be a line drawn of what this man will get away with - he takes the Valley from us and he crosses that line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:

Then I would hope he enjoys my piss on his grave (only jesting.. wouldn't want to be near the man dead or alive). There will be a line drawn of what this man will get away with - he takes the Valley from us and he crosses that line.
    With all due respect I don't see him being, in the slighted, worried about what we would do.
  • I can only hope that his tight-fisted, miserly instincts get the better of his rancid, stubborn ego. (I also secretly hope he dies soon!)
  • Missed It said:

Spot on.
  • It is time for us to support Roland - as the rope supports the hanged man
  • He has a couple of assets.

The Valley
    Sparrows Lane
    Certain players

He has one hinderance
    The Football Club he owns and is required to run.

Players like Lookman at circa 5m a pop may keep him here, constant fines wages and no income may push him out.
  • 8 grounds one home, that's what it says above the covered end.
  • edited May 2016

As long as RD and KM remain in charge we are heading towards league 2, points deductions, possible ground closure and a disappearing fanbase. We will cease to function as a football club but even then I imagine they still wouldn't concede there's a problem.
    Farcical situation where most fans have completely lost interest in the football - interesting to see how this pans out.

I have now encounterd two long-term fans (one over 40 years attending and one over 50) who have turned up to protest pre-game and then gone home. On the way though the turnstile I heard a chap saying he had being going since 1965 but this was going to be his last game at The Valley (although whether as a result of regime I don't know). I'm sure this picture is being replicated across the fanbase.

I went into the ground mainly to protest and it's true - for the last few home games I have been less interested in the football and more in raging against the regime. Life has really turned around for so many this season. I really want it to go back to the way things were - a dream I know but I do like the optimism shown by MuttleyCAFC on this thread a few posts up. A new begining and a new future perhaps after the 'Year Zero' policies of RD and Meire finally run into the buffers
  • As long as RD and KM remain in charge we are heading towards league 2, points deductions, possible ground closure and a disappearing fanbase. We will cease to function as a football club but even then I imagine they still wouldn't concede there's a problem.

I have now encounterd two long-term fans (one over 40 years attending and one over 50) who have turned up to protest pre-game and then gone home. On the way though the turnstile I heard a chap saying he had being going since 1965 but this was going to be his last game at The Valley (although whether as a result of regime I don't know). I'm sure this picture is being replicated across the fanbase.

I went into the ground mainly to protest and it's true - for the last few home games I have been less interested in the football and more in raging against the regime. Life has really turned around for so many this season. I really want it to go back to the way things were - a dream I know but I do like the optimism shown by MuttleyCAFC on this thread a few posts up. A new begining and a new future perhaps after the 'Year Zero' policies of RD and Meire finally run into the buffers
    And I'm another. Been going since 1974 but I've only been through the Valley turnstiles once this season. That was against Middlesbrough and was only so I could walk out in the 74th minute !
    I have been to other games but only to the car park protests.
    Would never have imagined this scenario a couple of years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Suthers said:

Oh I don't know...run the club down and down, sell the Valley for development, move into a ground-share arrangement, possibly with West Ham or a new stadium with Millwall perhaps....the future looks mapped out to me, but what do I know...

How many times does this need to be said. The Valley is a designated green space and is worthless as development land.
  • Missed It said:

I can only hope that his tight-fisted, miserly instincts get the better of his rancid, stubborn ego. (I also secretly hope he dies soon!)

Why secretly? I'm quite happy to tell one and all that if Roland popping his clogs is the only way for us to be free of him, then the quicker the better. Natural causes or an accident, of course, I'm not suggesting CARD pay for an assissin to go to Sint Truiden.
  • edited May 2016
    Maybe some people have found that protesting is more exciting than the football - and might walk away from the football even when it does improve because there's no longer any protesting.
  • Can someone please enlighten me as to why we should expect a points deduction ?
  • One thing that excites me is that our fans have woken up because of all this. After nearly going out of business and Sellout they worked with the club to achieve the success it did. It is a legitimate question to ask whether that would have happened without the extreme adversity we endured. The spring has been newly coiled. There are fantastic opportunities for a new owner. If Duchatelet goes, I predict a bright future.

I have heard that there is an awareness that Charlton playing in the Greenwhich Peninsula is attractive to some significant parties and we are seen as a club with loads of potential because of this. I feel that might be our next issue after we get rid of this mob. If people see it as an issue.

Time for me to get slaughtered (again) - but i dont have a problem with going to the Peninsular - as long as its not with Duchatelet. I believe it would take us on to the next level.
  • shine166 said:

Can someone please enlighten me as to why we should expect a points deduction ?

We shouldn't. People just like to worry about shit that ain't happening - like the piss filled balloons comment.
  • shine166 said:

Can someone please enlighten me as to why we should expect a points deduction ?

I'm sure there's only so many crowd disturbances, game stoppages, objects thrown on pitch etc that the FA will accept before they have to take some action. However i'm sure warnings and (hopefully large) fines would come into play way before a points deduction.
  • Suthers said:

How many times does this need to be said. The Valley is a designated green space and is worthless as development land.
    It's not worthless and it might be that even resistance by Greenwich, which I think we could compel, would be overruled. However, there's no evidence it's worth enough to offset the losses Duchatelet has already sustained and on previous valuations it's not, by a wide margin. It's possible he doesn't realise/accept this, though, given his general approach to the business.
    The locals in Belgium call him 'The Snake' for his ability to slide his way out of 'problems' - he's arrogant enough to believe that he could just regard Greenwich Council as another problem he'll be able to slide out of.
    Maybe even might regard it as a bit of a challenge.