Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club is now essentially worthless

Comments

• Well CARD were pretty clear with Roland. They told him they would make the club umanagable. Short of playing behind closed doors he has to realise at some point this will not go away, if he hasn't already. Selling for whatever he can get really is his only logical option.
  • Perhaps the master plan is for Charlton to groundshare at St Truiden?
    Just trying to read Roland's mind.

It seems the sort of bonkers plan he's capable of thinking.

• Oggy Red said:

Perhaps the master plan is for Charlton to groundshare at St Truiden?
    Just trying to read Roland's mind.

It seems the sort of bonkers plan he's capable of thinking.

Is he capable of thinking? No sign of it so far.
  • , points deductions, possible ground closure .

What are you on about?
  • edited May 2016

Suthers said:

Oh I don't know...run the club down and down, sell the Valley for development, move into a ground-share arrangement, possibly with West Ham or a new stadium with Millwall perhaps....the future looks mapped out to me, but what do I know...

How many times does this need to be said. The Valley is a designated green space and is worthless as development land.
    It's not worthless and it might be that even resistance by Greenwich, which I think we could compel, would be overruled. However, there's no evidence it's worth enough to offset the losses Duchatelet has already sustained and on previous valuations it's not, by a wide margin. It's possible he doesn't realise/accept this, though, given his general approach to the business.
    The locals in Belgium call him 'The Snake' for his ability to slide his way out of 'problems' - he's arrogant enough to believe that he could just regard Greenwich Council as another problem he'll be able to slide out of.
    Maybe even might regard it as a bit of a challenge.
    Aw ! Our very own Gollum !
    That would make Katrien his "precious "....
  • Suthers said:

Oh I don't know...run the club down and down, sell the Valley for development, move into a ground-share arrangement, possibly with West Ham or a new stadium with Millwall perhaps....the future looks mapped out to me, but what do I know...

How many times does this need to be said. The Valley is a designated green space and is worthless as development land.
    It's not worthless and it might be that even resistance by Greenwich, which I think we could compel, would be overruled. However, there's no evidence it's worth enough to offset the losses Duchatelet has already sustained and on previous valuations it's not, by a wide margin. It's possible he doesn't realise/accept this, though, given his general approach to the business.
    The locals in Belgium call him 'The Snake' for his ability to slide his way out of 'problems' - he's arrogant enough to believe that he could just regard Greenwich Council as another problem he'll be able to slide out of.
    Aw ! Our very own Gollum !
    That would make Katrien his "precious "....
    She's certainly just as duplicitous as Gollum ...new nickname?
  • Which peninsula? Surely Greenwich peninsula doesn't have enough space left after the current developments and developments there, being close to the tube, are worth more then developing the valley.
  • Which peninsula? Surely Greenwich peninsula doesn't have enough space left after the current developments and developments there, being close to the tube, are worth more then developing the valley.

Surely there must be enough space for a pitch and a couple of chairs?
  • Um there is the park between the roads just by the Pilot...would be quite a narrow pitch.
  • As I have said before it doesn't matter if The Valley is designated green space, you could just build flats around the edges of the pitch and use it as a communal garden.

Besides, a new 40k seater modern stadium built near the O2 would be a sensible move, and any club offered a similar deal in their respective cities would take it.

We are a long long way from that though, even if we were going up instead of down this season, we'd want to establish our top flight status again before moving to a bigger stadium
  • Sponsored links:

• The developments in the peninsula are shooting up though and some of the land left is needed for the new tunnel.

I can't see a move to the Greenwich peninsula as being realistic.
  • The developments in the peninsula are shooting up though and some of the land left is needed for the new tunnel.

I can't see a move to the Greenwich peninsula as being realistic.

There's plenty of room at the Peninsular.
  • Suthers said:

Fracking rights innit.
  • @sam3110 I like the idea of wheel in pitch, wheel in gardens and allotments. Would need more space then the picture but would be amazing.

Rather stay at the valley though. Dug out of the chalk to be our home.
  • @sam3110 I like the idea of wheel in pitch, wheel in gardens and allotments. Would need more space then the picture but would be amazing.

Rather stay at the valley though. Dug out of the chalk to be our home.

Yeah, but you cant stop progress though- cant stand still.
  • Suthers said:

'The Leech' would be a more appropriate nickname
  • undoubtedly temporary. You would not want to over do the flats in one go and drag all the prices down but sitting right on the side of the river it will be flats at some point. no financial sense to move from Charlton to here at all.
  • @The_President, I agree that progress is the way forward.

But we have a very good 27k ground that could probably be extended in its own space to 40k.

Given gates next season are likely to be 10k, it's a big call to move to a ground with no history.

Better to fund a decent public transport link between Charlton and North Greenwich.
  • edited May 2016

@The_President, I agree that progress is the way forward.

But we have a very good 27k ground that could probably be extended in its own space to 40k.

Given gates next season are likely to be 10k, it's a big call to move to a ground with no history.

Better to fund a decent public transport link between Charlton and North Greenwich.

Maybe right Neil, however, i've always been in the minority in thinking that a move to the Peninsular would take us to a new level - in a time when i hear that there have been conversations about our 'ageing fanbase', i really think that a move to The Peninsular would bring in a new fanbase - a fanbase that would include many of the international cityites that work in Canary WHarf - it would be a huge opportunity to take us up even 2 levels - with the opportunity of getting some serious financial backing in the same way as Amex at Brighton...imagine the number of people we would have who would come along . I seriously believe it would bring along a huge fanbase from CW.
    TBH, i dont care if they've worn a Charlton scarf for a year or 52 years - in my eyes, they are all Addicks.
    I really dont think we should stick our head in the sand re this.
    I know that i am going to get slated for saying this, but we cant just stand still - we have a huge opportunity here right on our doorstep.
  • Sponsored links:

Maybe right Neil, however, i've always been in the minority in thinking that a move to the Peninsular would take us to a new level - in a time when i hear that there have been conversations about our 'ageing fanbase', i really think that a move to The Peninsular would bring in a new fanbase - a fanbase that would include many of the international cityites that work in Canary WHarf - it would be a huge opportunity to take us up even 2 levels - with the opportunity of getting some serious financial backing in the same way as Amex at Brighton...imagine the number of people we would have who would come along . I seriously believe it would bring along a huge fanbase from CW.
    TBH, i dont care if they've worn a Charlton scarf for a year or 52 years - in my eyes, they are all Addicks.
    I know that i am going to get slated for saying this, but we cant just stand still - we have a huge opportunity here right on our doorstep.
    Sounds shite.

Sounds shite.
    Thanks ISSS.

Sounds shite.
    Thanks ISSS.
    Think nothing of it.
  • Apparently we have never had a player whose second name begins with an I.

• Apparently we have never had a player whose second name begins with an I.

What about Kemel Izzert, Muzzy Izzert's brother?

@The_President I think you bring up a good point, but I feel like this would be the way to go. I am obviously not well versed in the London zoning laws, but given that Spurs are about to expand their stadium on the same spot, I suspect we'd have a lot of more luck expanding The Valley than moving. Also, bringing it up to 40k capacity puts us on par with or high than Chelsea and Spurs right now, and obviously we're quite a ways from that.

The transport links between SE London and the rest of the world have certainly improved since I lived there in ~2010, but there is still a lot to be desired to somewhere like Charlton. Again, my knowledge on London transport and infrastructure is poor, but when you consider how well some areas are connected, it shouldn't be that hard to better connect Greenwich, CW, and a potential newly remodeled Charlton ground.

Trying to put sentimentality aside, The Valley is a wonderful combination of "old fashion ground" with having the ability to be modernize to keep up with "modern demands." To move, what, 5ish miles away to build a new stadium would require a LOT of money for starters, and I fear would be met by any council with a question of "why?"

Apologies if there are London zoning or infrastructure subtleties I'm missing out on.
  • 2.5 miles as per Google Maps.
  • 2.5 miles as per Google Maps.

Cheers. I'm pretty sure that journey has taken me an hour split between sitting on a bus and walking alongside it moving slightly faster than the bus through a construction zone.

Is your thinking that putting us right in the middle of the growing businesses and new posh (banker twats') flats would really help grow the fanbase in a way that being 2.5 miles away (even with good transport links) couldn't do? Basically having the club amongst that growing part of London would make it the community club for that area (for better and worse)?

I can see how that would make sense, but part of me feels like no matter what we do, that area is going to be chalk full of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, and increasingly West Ham fans due to those clubs being more "fashionable."

Also, just want to say this is pure idle, off-season speculation for me, I'm not ignoring sentiment or precedent, I'm just putting off doing a boring proposal for work.
  • edited May 2016
    SDAddick said:

2.5 miles as per Google Maps.

Cheers. I'm pretty sure that journey has taken me an hour split between sitting on a bus and walking alongside it moving slightly faster than the bus through a construction zone.

Is your thinking that putting us right in the middle of the growing businesses and new posh (banker twats') flats would really help grow the fanbase in a way that being 2.5 miles away (even with good transport links) couldn't do? Basically having the club amongst that growing part of London would make it the community club for that area (for better and worse)?

I can see how that would make sense, but part of me feels like no matter what we do, that area is going to be chalk full of Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, and increasingly West Ham fans due to those clubs being more "fashionable."

Also, just want to say this is pure idle, off-season speculation for me, I'm not ignoring sentiment or precedent, I'm just putting off doing a boring proposal for work.
    You got it.And also would likely bring in a much higher quality of sponsorship a la Brighton - who would you rather have as a sponsor for your team, Titan Lifts or HSBC/Citi?

As you said, sentimentality shouldnt enter into this, and, as I said, lets move forward - coz we certainly aint now, are we?
  • North Greenwich Station is right there - just 2 mins from CW, and 15 mins from London Bridge.

If you reversed the logic and said we were moving (lets say) from North Greenwich to The Valley everyone would think you were insane.