Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IMPORTANT—CARD Statement 3: Brighton Home

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Uboat said:

LoOkOuT said:

How you can be prepared to make any judgement on the day's events by 2:30, in the middle of a march of 5,000 strong, I don't know!

I wasn't judging the day. I found the march a bit quiet.
    To be fair it was a bit quiet on the march & just seemed to fizzle out at the end. Numbers were great but the end of the march should have been a few thousand protesting behind the west stand not walking to Harvey Gardens & dispersing.

Edit. Just read the rest of the thread & a couple of people already saying the same as my post, also see that there may have been a reason not to go behind West Stand. Thanks of course to the organisers, where would we be without them / CARD ? Every protest like this is I am sure a learning curve & will be fine tuned for the next time.
    Keep up the good work people !!!
  • Uboat said:

LoOkOuT said:

How you can be prepared to make any judgement on the day's events by 2:30, in the middle of a march of 5,000 strong, I don't know!

I wasn't judging the day. I found the march a bit quiet.
    To be fair it was a bit quiet on the march & just seemed to fizzle out at the end. Numbers were great but the end of the march should have been a few thousand protesting behind the west stand not walking to Harvey Gardens & dispersing.
    i think it's just a case of protest fatigue, there's only so many times you can chant Roland out.
  • I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a march with that number of people to stay "as one" in respect of songs/chants. The march was fantastic - and if some areas were a bit quieter than others the remedy would have been to start off some songs/chants of their own.

The point about ending at the badge is fair enough. It may have been better to go to the West Stand but that might have pissed off lots of Charlton fans trying to get tickets and also the police, with whom we are on very collaborative terms. As it was, it was a nod to the ending of the funeral procession, but this time with Roland "in person". Maybe a bit too symbolic. Anyway, I don't think it detracted at all from the power of the march which was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
  • March with hindsight needed to proceed to in front of the West Stand. However, (and Some assumptions on my part) but I think the Police were very clear for both marches that that wasn't to be allowed as I assume they were fearful of flashpoints and they were happy with a closure point at the back of the North.

As the first March was organised effectively, went as planned and with no incident, I suspect that was why such numbers were allowed to build and why they allowed things to proceed with such light official stewardship.

As for the atmosphere on the March, it was different to the Boro one. The Boro one there was a couple of thousand and very vocal. The sheer numbers yesterday (2-3 times the Boro numbers) meant that more vocal people were more spread out. Amazingly, what was meant to be the front of the March probably was 1-2,000 back due to the amount of people flooding Charlton Church Lane.

It's by nature that people always want 'more' but we should not lose sight that what we saw before the game yesterday is nothing short of exceptional, never been seen before in English football and hopefully we will never see at Charlton again.

Ps. I thought the 200 placards were brilliant and really added to it. The professionalism of the designs and the making of them was the work of just two people. I won't name them because I know they don't want recognition, but they have both been exceptional in different ways over the last six months. We are so lucky to have such committed and talented supporters in our midst in this community.

Credit to everyone organising this.
  • March with hindsight needed to proceed to in front of the West Stand. However, (and Some assumptions on my part) but I think the Police were very clear for both marches that that wasn't to be allowed as I assume they were fearful of flashpoints and they were happy with a closure point at the back of the North.

As the first March was organised effectively, went as planned and with no incident, I suspect that was why such numbers were allowed to build and why they allowed things to proceed with such light official stewardship.

As for the atmosphere on the March, it was different to the Boro one. The Boro one there was a couple of thousand and very vocal. The sheer numbers yesterday (2-3 times the Boro numbers) meant that more vocal people were more spread out. Amazingly, what was meant to be the front of the March probably was 1-2,000 back due to the amount of people flooding Charlton Church Lane.

It's by nature that people always want 'more' but we should not lose sight that what we saw before the game yesterday is nothing short of exceptional, never been seen before in English football and hopefully we will never see at Charlton again.

Ps. I thought the 200 placards were brilliant and really added to it. The professionalism of the designs and the making of them was the work of just two people. I won't name them because I know they don't want recognition, but they have both been exceptional in different ways over the last six months. We are so lucky to have such committed and talented supporters in our midst in this community.

Good post.

I thought the march was a huge success and should definitely be repeated for the Burnley game. But this time with 10,000 people on it,
  • The march was a joy to be part of. These are minor quibbles. The protests yesterday were all a massive success, judging from all today's media coverage.
  • A couple of papers are reporting the protest as being 500 fans.
  • A couple of papers are reporting the protest as being 500 fans.

The Brussels Bugle and the Sint Truden Sun??
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

A couple of papers are reporting the protest as being 500 fans.

The Brussels Bugle and the Sint Truden Sun??
    One's the Indy (online only now).

Despite the sports editor byline, I'd say it's an agency piece.
  • I agree with Len that it would be churlish to criticise the protests and I apologise if that's how my comments came across. Thank you and well done to all the CARD coordinators and volunteers. AFKA, you should name the placard makers whether they like it or not!
  • Just a point that slightly irks me.
    It is often said " he bought the wrong club" I do not think he should have any club. I do not wish him on anyone ( well maybe Palace!)

Yes but other clubs might have put up less of a fight!
  • edited April 2016

Just a point that slightly irks me.
    It is often said " he bought the wrong club" I do not think he should have any club. I do not wish him on anyone ( well maybe Palace!)

Yes but other clubs might have put up less of a fight!
    Precisely. Why aren't we hearing more about protests at Aston Villa, for instance?

• The March was good but surely the March should be of a longer distance say starting from the top of shooter hill or Greenwich. The whole idea surely is to get the attention of the papers to get this story in every paper so if we have to disrupt people car travels for half hour it's what we have to do. 5000 people at Greenwich Sunday week marching too the ground surely is a great way to start the last game of the season or. Half there half shooters hill both chanting and getting the point enough is enough.
  • The police would have used their powers to stop a longer march. It was discussed with them.
  • Its true that the march did fizzle out a bit but we did have some fun handing out tomatoes for people to throw at the inflatable Roland when he finally arrived at the North stand badge. Just not enough tomatoes to satisfy demand unfortunately...
  • You scamp @Pico :smile:
  • The March was good but surely the March should be of a longer distance say starting from the top of shooter hill or Greenwich. The whole idea surely is to get the attention of the papers to get this story in every paper so if we have to disrupt people car travels for half hour it's what we have to do. 5000 people at Greenwich Sunday week marching too the ground surely is a great way to start the last game of the season or. Half there half shooters hill both chanting and getting the point enough is enough.

Because us customers are too old to walk any further.
  • Let's face it 5000 people is a lot to get to march for a football club.

We joined a bit early having tried to meet up at 1pm at the Oak but being 15 minutes late :(. We could see loads of people behind us but had no real idea of how many.

Lot of Brighton fans around us. Well done them as in sure I've said before.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

I was giving out balloons opposite the club shop and watched the march coming in and passing me. It was very impressive, it was assertive in attitude, it was noisy and it was big. What more would anyone want. All credit to those who marched
    Heroes all.

I was also giving out balloons there. Not sure if we spoke? I was the short guy black and white scarf, burgandy coat.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

I was giving out balloons opposite the club shop and watched the march coming in and passing me. It was very impressive, it was assertive in attitude, it was noisy and it was big. What more would anyone want. All credit to those who marched
    Heroes all.

I was also giving out balloons there. Not sure if we spoke? I was the short guy black and white scarf, burgandy coat.
    I am tall was wearing white away shirt from a couple of seasons ago. Stationed myself just behind the programme seller by the tunnel.
    Ahh I was out on Floyd road so same team different sub team. Will have to say hi next time! :)
  • Crystal Palace 2, Watford 1......... CAFC in Division 3. Thank you Belgian scum. Death and slave labour in Congo. What do you expect from these folk? Their grand plan is illogical and deluded. Refer to Kermogant for details. Alan Pardew and Richard Murray are laughing at you. Just like the Belgian scum. No to Europe. No to third rate imbecile Belgian ownership. No to Belgian up their anus tarts. No to an FA that cares FA about "fit and proper" ownership. The beautiful game is well f**ked. Wright, Kinsey, Curtis, Campbell, et al.............. Peacock was in class with my sister. ........Polish Pete was not. Now all to be seen is Wan*er, Frigfa*e and Tos*ser in the boardroom, and immigrant mercenaries on the pitch. This is just a pathetic circus. Chew on this. Good luck to CARD, but feel it is too little, too late. RIP the Villa and Bolton Wanderers. Long Live Sky. Meanwhile, supporters can all go to hell............
  • iainment said:

Heroes all.

You looked very demure ;-)

PMSL :-)
  • Good point !

Lets do it again for Burnley & lets get behind the west stand. No way will they stop us, it's a peaceful demo !