Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Ademola Lookman

Comments

• Started in the Champions League tonight, 3rd appearance this season?
    Had almost forgotten he was there.

Just seen he's only played 42 minutes of league football this season, despite not being injured.
  • Started in the Champions League tonight, 3rd appearance this season?
    Had almost forgotten he was there.

Just seen he's only played 42 minutes of league football this season, despite not being injured.
    Leipzig have 3 or 4 players on loan that are not playing this season, doubt clubs will be sending players there in future
  • Schick of Roma
    Ampadu of Chelsea

Thought Lookman was on loan but just noticed he isnt lol
  • Not heard a peep about him in ages.

Anyone know how he is doing in Germany?
  • LenGlover said:
    Not heard a peep about him in ages.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ademola-lookman/leistungsdaten/spieler/406040
  • LenGlover said:
    Not heard a peep about him in ages.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ademola-lookman/leistungsdaten/spieler/406040
    How they work it out - I've no idea - but current value guestimated at £18m...!
  • Gotta be careful else his career might start to struggle

Sky Sports are claiming he wants to leave Leipzig due to little game time - Newcastle the club interested in a loan with an option to buy deal
  • He gave an interview in the Guardian before Christmas https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/06/ademola-lookman-rb-leipzig-interview-world-cup-denzil-washington

Sounds like he's still adapting, didn't have a proper pre-season with them and a few injuries.  I hope he sticks it out for a bit longer.
  • He gave an interview in the Guardian before Christmas https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/06/ademola-lookman-rb-leipzig-interview-world-cup-denzil-washington

Sounds like he's still adapting, didn't have a proper pre-season with them and a few injuries.  I hope he sticks it out for a bit longer.

That's called doing a Shipperley.
  • Just come on for Leipzig. Looked promising to start off with. Then gives away a stupid penalty. Now getting pelters on Twitter
  • Sponsored links:

• Just come on for Leipzig. Looked promising to start off with. Then gives away a stupid penalty. Now getting pelters on Twitter
    Was just gonna say hope he doesn't go kn Twitter after the game, its not a good read 
  • Perhaps they should think about the idiot of a defender that got himself sent off needlessly. If he hadn't then Lookman wouldn't have been defending in the box.
    He actually looked really good and was the only Leipzig player that was able to get beyond a defender. 
    Was just gonna say hope he doesn't go kn Twitter after the game, its not a good read 
    It’s heartbreaking to read as a Charlton fan. A player with so much potential completely void of confidence due to lack of game time. Maybe he should come back home to get his confidence back up again
  • Another young player with a greedy agent that advised him poorly. So frustrating because he’s a very clever guy. 

i would absolutely love to work with him. Build him back up and put him in a team that he fits into. Some regular games And you’d see the devilish good NATURAL player that he is.  

It’s heartbreaking to read as a Charlton fan. A player with so much potential completely void of confidence due to lack of game time. Maybe he should come back home to get his confidence back up again
    Everton effectively fucked him about...

Had that great first loan @ Leipzig, came home and then didnt get the move back to Germany

He then barely played for Everton (makes you wonder why they stood firm over keeping him) which must have dented his confidence

Finally gets to go back to Germany last summer and can barely get in the squad which must be further soul destroying
    Their number of managers probably didn't help him.

Koeman signed him in January. Then early into the next season Allardyce took over and decided he didn't need him and would loan him, where he went and did well. By the time he returned Marco Silva was in charge and decided to keep him to see what he could do (as most managers would've done after an impressive loan).

But by then Everton had Walcott, Richarlison and Bernard, so him getting games was always going to be tough.
  • Swisdom said:
    Another young player with a greedy agent that advised him poorly. 

In what way , where and what should he have done?
    i just think he’s been unlucky with his treatment at where he’s gone to and he would have believed he could have played .
    Going to Everton for that fee seemed a great deal for us and him, I thought, at the time and then a reasonable time at Leipzig and he goes back out there .
    Just think he hasn’t had the breaks , maybe not been good/lucky enough but the moves I’m sure he’d have believed would have progressed him better even though they clearly haven’t worked out for whatever reason and he will have set himself and family up for life and you never know what’s around the corner , so to me he made the right moves but had the wrong results .
  • Swisdom said:

i just think he’s been unlucky with his treatment at where he’s gone to and he would have believed he could have played .
    Going to Everton for that fee seemed a great deal for us and him, I thought, at the time and then a reasonable time at Leipzig and he goes back out there .
    Just think he hasn’t had the breaks , maybe not been good/lucky enough but the moves I’m sure he’d have believed would have progressed him better even though they clearly haven’t worked out for whatever reason and he will have set himself and family up for life and you never know what’s around the corner , so to me he made the right moves but had the wrong results .
    Katrien threw him under the bus. He wasn’t ready for top flight football but Katrien told me she knew “Everton’s owners were flush with cash and desperate” which is why we got so much.
    his agent should have acknowledged this wasn’t quite the right time yet and been patient.
    instead his agent is probably made for life from that commission alone plus his cut of wages since then.  I dont think this has been with Ademola’s best interests at heart.

he needs a loan to get some regular football and his confidence back. His talent is undeniable but something just isn’t right and needs addressing.

Again money is the problem here. Ademola is probably on too high a wage now to take a big step backwards so is unaffordable to people at the level he needs to play.  He’ll never need to work again but then how does that give a 22 year old the incentive to fight for his place in the team.
  • edited May 2020
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Katrien threw him under the bus. He wasn’t ready for top flight football but Katrien told me she knew “Everton’s owners were flush with cash and desperate” which is why we got so much.
    his agent should have acknowledged this wasn’t quite the right time yet and been patient.
    instead his agent is probably made for life from that commission alone plus his cut of wages since then.  I dont think this has been with Ademola’s best interests at heart.

he needs a loan to get some regular football and his confidence back. His talent is undeniable but something just isn’t right and needs addressing.

Again money is the problem here. Ademola is probably on too high a wage now to take a big step backwards so is unaffordable to people at the level he needs to play.  He’ll never need to work again but then how does that give a 22 year old the incentive to fight for his place in the team.
    To say that he wasn't ready from the Prem is a bit unfair. I think that if he had been used properly he would have been fine.
    He has been messed around by a succession of Managers. How anyone can choose to play Theo Walcott ahead of Ademola is beyond me.
    He has barely had any time on the pitch in the last couple of years but all I know is that whenever I have seen him come on as a sub he has looked good. 
    The problem with having so little time on the pitch is that he has probably become over anxious to do well when he does get some minutes. In the game yesterday he looked like he could make a difference every time he got on the ball but there weren't many options ahead of him.
    Given a chance and a proper run of games he will come good. 
  • I don't think anyone can underestimate the value of "time in the middle". I use the cricket analogy because it doesn't matter how much you do in the nets ultimately you have to be able to bat in a competitive cricket environment.

Football is no different - 10 mins here, 45 minutes there, then none at all for the next game or two. It affects a player's touch but far more than that it affects their confidence. Especially when you are of the belief that the coach doesn't trust you enough to give you that all important run in the side.

Lookman would do best to go to a Villa, Norwich, Southampton, Watford or even Newcastle at the end of the season. Whichever one of these survives in the Premier League and needs him as much as he needs a top flight club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

This is always just so much arrant balls.  Many players fall for it of course but that still don't make it true or forgivable.  If they want to play pro football they'll find a club, the wages follow, not the other way around.
    Johnny Williams is the perfect case in point.  He wants to play football, so he took the offer that suited him best for all the really important reasons in life not just the filthy luchre.
    Lyle Taylor also made a grown up professional decision to come to CAFC rather than take the money and go elsewhere (Sunderland?) for bigger bucks. 
  • My point @StigThundercock is he’s been on over £1m a . He signed a new contract in the summer with Leipzig which stands to get him around £10 million over four years. 
    Considering where he was playing just a few years before joining us it’s a meteoric rise without a shadow of a doubt but do you honestly think he has the heart and desire given he now has financial security for life for himself and his family. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but he had and has so much potential it could be so much more
  • Swisdom said:
    My point @StigThundercock is he’s been on over £1m a . He signed a new contract in the summer with Leipzig which stands to get him around £10 million over four years. 
    Considering where he was playing just a few years before joining us it’s a meteoric rise without a shadow of a doubt but do you honestly think he has the heart and desire given he now has financial security for life for himself and his family. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but he had and has so much potential it could be so much more
    Agreed - but HE can still make decisions to get his career back on track. 
  • If a person has so much money that they can't be bothered putting in an effort to do their job then it says a lot about him.

Look at people like Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Woods, Nicklaus and many other great sportsmen who have won everything and are rich bit still want to win.

Money is probably not their motivating factor but winning is. 
  • Swisdom said:
    My point @StigThundercock is he’s been on over £1m a . He signed a new contract in the summer with Leipzig which stands to get him around £10 million over four years. 
    I've no idea I've never met him for more than 2 minutes.  I'd like to think so.  My point is that he can if he wants to.  Insisting himself that he's worth £X p.a. is the arrant balls, he's worth what the next club will pay him.  He rose from youth football, outside the professional pyramid, to the England U21 side in under 3 years, meteoric indeed.  He'll play where he wants, when he wants.
    Darren Anderton played in the 4th division with Bournemouth til he was 38
    Teddy Sheringham played for Colchester til he was 41 or 42
    Ian Wright played for Burnley in div 2 til he was 36
    none of them woulda been on anything like their peak earnings, nor needed a penny of it.
    The will and the love of the game is all that's required.
    For the avoidance of balderdash, I'm not equating Ademola's talent with any of them.
  • The boy is too good not to succeed.  That is not enough in itself, but i believe in his character and work ethic.  Might take him a while to rediscover his mojo, but the lad has things that can't be coached.   As others have said, give him game time, and the confidence will follow.  Allez Ademola! 
  • Signed on loan at Fulham 
    Do they still have that other whizzkid winger?
  • edited September 2020
    A top Championship side would have been a better option. Even after Timo Werner left, Lookman still struggled to get many minutes at Leipzig.

Being in a poor Fulham side won't help him as his defensive game was fairly weak from memory. Talented lad with ball at feet but a long way to go football wise despite his healthy bank balance 

• He offers something different as we know ourselves.

Might just be a good move by Fulham if he is fully fit and motivated.