Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Derby

Comments

• Joshuk87 said:

Was the old Meire at the game today?

yes she was. I did comment on how nice her tan was. She didn't seem too impressed.

That's because you were checking for tan lines at the time.
  • Joshuk87 said:

Was the old Meire at the game today?

yes she was. I did comment on how nice her tan was. She didn't seem too impressed.

That's because you were checking for tan lines at the time.
    Pleased to see that a sense of humour has not been lost in SE7 ;-))
  • Did anyone else think we strung lots of good passes today,
    but with no potency when we got near to goal ?
    Not having the creative mid fielder as well as a 15 to 20 goal championship striker has does for us.
    We have played decent in the last 3 home games.( too little too late)
    If any CAFC supporter thought yesterday was average, where have you been all season.
  • Everything I have read and seen showed that we played really well again.

Unfortunately, we lack a proper creative midfielder and a natural goal scorer. (The two position which you have to spend serious money to purchase these players).

The main positive for me is I can see the shape of next season forming and I am very positive about Nick Pope being the goal keeper.

And our chances of having substantially the same squad is????

The Duchatelet Way will have us, for the third year in a row, looking at a first team squad filled with unknown quantities.

The main positive for me is the VOTV story.
  • sarge1g said:

Although I do not boo or jeer Makienok I will not be sorry to see him return to Mallorca (think that's where we loaned him from). He actually made what appeared to be a glaring miss with his head which would have given us a well deserved equaliser, only showed some potential in the match against Rotherham. but he has been warming the bench for large parts of Riga's reign and for good reason (not good enough for Championship).

Palermo. A club that is also, by all accounts, in a shocking state (by which, should Roland or Katrien be reading, I mean condition, rather than Italy).

Unfortunately, we lack a proper creative midfielder and a natural goal scorer. (The two position which you have to spend serious money to purchase these players).

The main positive for me is I can see the shape of next season forming and I am very positive about Nick Pope being the goal keeper.

The Duchatelet Way will have us, for the third year in a row, looking at a first team squad filled with unknown quantities.

Agree with this, NA.

Yesterday's Voice was spot on as usual & a must read for all Addicks, especially those still unconvinced about the protests.

I left the ground feeling a tad depressed & angry with our situation but after reading AB's excellent articles, that old, familiar tingle was back.....

Surely it can only be a matter of time now ?

Agree with this, NA.

Yesterday's Voice was spot on as usual & a must read for all Addicks, especially those still unconvinced about the protests.

I left the ground feeling a tad depressed & angry with our situation but after reading AB's excellent articles, that old, familiar tingle was back.....

That must be a positive Fanny. Who knows what could develop from that tingle!

Agree with this, NA.

Thanks for sharing that info with CL,
    I hope Mr F is in training !

The 3 highlights for me yesterday in no particular order.
    But all gave me a tingle were ?

Nick Pope's double save and the CAFC crowd's ovation to it.

The Well Done Bacon Sandwich in the Cafe by the station.
    (Red Sauce for when i'm on the Danny Baker show)

Having a cuddle with Fanny Fanackapan outside the West stand when she was collecting votes for POTY.

• edited April 2016
    The game was fairly even and it could have gone either way - the trouble is it didn’t go for us. It never does (at least that’s how it feels).

Some have said that Derby bullied us, but that is a big part of the Championship. Derby ‘took care’ of the threat from Lookman, especially in the second half. The match stats reveal that Charlton committed just one less foul than Derby, and imo a lot of those were through indiscipline rather than professionalism. We of course, are notorious in our non ability to defend from set pieces and once again this fact was further substantiated … for no less than the 25th time this season.

Riga has improved Charlton’s competitiveness and spirit, but there’s a way to go yet.
  • Apologies if the point has already been made, but one criticism I have of our performance yesterday (and of Riga in particular) was the lack of urgency. Although we played quite decently, we seemed very laid back when we went 0-1 down. We needed to win, not draw and it felt like Riga and the team didn't respond to that imperative until the last 5-10 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    Yes, he waited too long to bring Big Mak on - I agree with that. probably wouldn't have given us theh win, but a draw was no better than a defeat so why not go for it. I do think he is a decent manager, but he doesn't have the balls I thought he hadnas a manager. Mind you, a lot don't.
  • I'd probably have started with Mak and Vetokele, Harriott and Lookman, JBG in the middle with cousins. Diarra playing with the defence as a 4 in retreat and just above a 3 of tex, fox and Solly (Motta on for more attacking threat later)

And probably lost 0-4.
  • Davo55 said:

Apologies if the point has already been made, but one criticism I have of our performance yesterday (and of Riga in particular) was the lack of urgency. Although we played quite decently, we seemed very laid back when we went 0-1 down. We needed to win, not draw and it felt like Riga and the team didn't respond to that imperative until the last 5-10 minutes.

Riga admitted in an interview that his philosophy is to make sure the players stick to their plans when they go a goal down and not to panic.
  • edited April 2016
    Blucher said:

I have to say that I was pretty unimpressed with Derby, particularly given the amount of money they have spent in the last twelve months. This is also a club who, having said that their absolute priority is to take a long term view, then make the shortest term decision imaginable by giving Paul Clement the boot after some poor results. I don't suppose that getting 'Arry on board is going to be a long term fix either. As to the team, I find Ince and Martin incredibly irritating individuals, both of whom appear to have some deluded sense of entitlement. I hope they fail in the play-offs.

Couldn't agree more. Martin is a WUM and should have been booked for throwing the ball at Cousins. He had earlier pushed Cousins out the way when Cousins was about to take a free kick. Encroaching at free kicks and wiping out the spray, the Derby player feigning injury at the end and being assisted off the pitch to then miraclously jump to his feet to protest.
  • I'm not down with the shorthand here, apologies.

What is WUM?
  • Wind up merchant (I think)
  • Wind up merchant (I think)

:wink:
  • Well we can discuss the outcome of this result and it looks like that is it we are down even if we win at Bolton. A totally unnecessary relegation due to inept management by Duchatelet and Meire appointing Fraye who wrecked our season. The whole situation has been mismanagement led and it is a crime. It is about time the Football authorities had some power to investigate fitness to own a club and in this case this lot would be out on their ear.

The game, was a decent one to watch ridiculous decision to disallow the goal it was a completely fair challenge, football is a contact sport and the challenge on Carson was not a foul. They then scored and that was it. We had our moments but to be honest Derby shaded it for me. Big Mak looked to be causing some problems but didn't have enough time and his miss was a bit of a shocker to be honest.

Not likely to happen but if we kept this team it would do well in League 1 but we all know Dipstick number 1 will ship out the best players and we get another influx of nobodies to make the number up. Rather than feeling optimistic I can see the same happening in League 1 and we go down again. Fucking tragic.
  • Erm okay... Really well done but we lost so god knows who was a worse Defender than him

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 55m55 minutes ago
    TEAM OF THE WEEK | Congratulations to Rod Fanni, who was the Championship's standout defender at the weekend! #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• I'd probably have started with Mak and Vetokele, Harriott and Lookman, JBG in the middle with cousins. Diarra playing with the defence as a 4 in retreat and just above a 3 of tex, fox and Solly (Motta on for more attacking threat later)

And probably lost 0-4.

Why would you drop Fanni??? He was excellent.....again!!
  • Erm okay... Really well done but we lost so god knows who was a worse Defender than him

TEAM OF THE WEEK | Congratulations to Rod Fanni, who was the Championship's standout defender at the weekend! #cafc

You can't hold Fanni responsible for a 1-0 defeat. The strikers need to be scoring. Igor badly needs a goal
  • edited April 2016
    Taxi_Lad said:

Erm okay... Really well done but we lost so god knows who was a worse Defender than him

You can't hold Fanni responsible for a 1-0 defeat. The strikers need to be scoring. Igor badly needs a goal
    Sorry not holding him responsible at all...

Just surprised that other Defenders who probably kept a clean sheet arent ahead of him on TOTW

i.e. Our own StatBank only gave him a 7.13 for the Derby match
  • edited April 2016
    That's cos we're a bunch of negative bastards
  • We have been very unlucky for the last three games and could easily have 7 more points with a very little swing of fortune. We were down anyway so yesterday doesn't hurt and in many ways I'm glad the ref's incompetence hasn't cost us like it did at home to Fulham those years ago. It isn't grating on me. In fact the people who should be livid are Derby's promotion rivals. Due to the timing of their goal, they basically moved from a position where they should have been one goal down to being one goal up.

Was a teasing ball for Carson to handle - big mistake of his to try to catch it, Tex got his head to the ball before contact and it was just their trajectories that brought them into each other. This is why there needs to be video evidence, but in all honesty, the ref should have spotted that it was a fair goal. Like I said, it doesn't hurt outside of highlighting a general issue in football, but that was three points nicked from us by the officials. I was celebrating, there wasn't even a question in my mind it was a goal and I had a great angle. If we had a few more points, that ref could have sent us down!!! He could have prevented a team from making the play offs that should have done!!!

Other than that, a draw would have been a fair result. Derby were better in the final third in the first half, we were the better team in the second. Shame we didn't have this team a few months back, when relegation was being secured!

I agree with what you say but I'm not sure it makes much difference to Derby's rivals. I don't think they can make second and I don't think Cardiff can catch them. In my view there is little difference between 3rd and 6th.

I would have liked to catch MK Dons by the end and I think we might rue the three points we might have got had that goal not been disallowed.

Having said that it doesn't, really, matter where we finish if we go down.
  • We have been very unlucky for the last three games and could easily have 7 more points with a very little swing of fortune. We were down anyway so yesterday doesn't hurt and in many ways I'm glad the ref's incompetence hasn't cost us like it did at home to Fulham those years ago. It isn't grating on me. In fact the people who should be livid are Derby's promotion rivals. Due to the timing of their goal, they basically moved from a position where they should have been one goal down to being one goal up.

Was a teasing ball for Carson to handle - big mistake of his to try to catch it, Tex got his head to the ball before contact and it was just their trajectories that brought them into each other. This is why there needs to be video evidence, but in all honesty, the ref should have spotted that it was a fair goal. Like I said, it doesn't hurt outside of highlighting a general issue in football, but that was three points nicked from us by the officials. I was celebrating, there wasn't even a question in my mind it was a goal and I had a great angle. If we had a few more points, that ref could have sent us down!!! He could have prevented a team from making the play offs that should have done!!!

Other than that, a draw would have been a fair result. Derby were better in the final third in the first half, we were the better team in the second. Shame we didn't have this team a few months back, when relegation was being secured!

I agree with what you say but I'm not sure it makes much difference to Derby's rivals. I don't think they can make second and I don't think Cardiff can catch them. In my view there is little difference between 3rd and 6th.

I would have liked to catch MK Dons by the end and I think we might rue the three points we might have got had that goal not been disallowed.

Having said that it doesn't, really, matter where we finish if we go down.
    Good - they won't be livid then. Ref yesterday for the Leicester game was also useless - we need technology in the game to compensate
  • Jayajosh said:

Why was our goal disallowed both Carson and defender shit themselves, never a foul

Under the rules the ref must stop the game when a player shit's himself. I have seen swimming pools close for the same reason.
    https://youtu.be/9t_8pfbCH-4

Ref didn't stop the game when Lineker shit himself agaignt Rep of Ireland.
  • Having seen the highlights now, looks to me like the ref got our disallowed one correct. Tex jumps at Carson without looking at the ball and I'm pretty sure the ball hit his arm on its way into the net.

He isn't looking at the ball but he makes no contact with the keeper before he heads the ball, goal should definitely have stood
    Well, maybe its my fading eyesight, and it is harder to tell without a slow mo replay, but I;m pretty sure its his arm that forces the ball over the line, not his head. Maybe his shoulder. He jumps into Carson leading with his arm - at best contact with Carson and the ball are at the same time.

With him not looking at the ball I think its an easy decision for the ref and we'd be fuming if that had happened at the other end and the goal stood against us.

Half hearted protest from just Texeira tells a story too.
  • Many claim that we were unlucky against Derby but I thought they edged it by "half a goal". They looked a more compact team; we looked a bit disjointed at times. But, I would agree, a draw wouldn't have been a pretty fair result.

Riga has put together a team that would have come mid to lower mid table this year. It shows how far we were off having a competitive squad last August.