Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views Charlton v Derby

Comments

• We weren't great and they weren't much better
  • edited April 2016
    Not a great game. Not a terrible game. We weren't bad but we weren't good. Not much atmosphere. An exciting minute or two when we hit the post, we had a goal disallowed and they scored. They looked more balanced as a team than us but not much in it. Makienok caused more trouble in 10-15 mins than others did throughout. A bit unlucky but no real complaints.
  • An interesting contrast between our short passes game with flicks and stuff and their more accurate longer passing game. We gave the ball away too much but really sizzled when attacking. Igor has got his mojo back and Harriott is a real threat. Big Mak might have equalised at the end but seemed to mistime his jump or something. Pope's double save was as good as anything I have ever seen. Just amazing! We should have drawn against a good team. If we keep Igor next season he should get 30 goals.
  • Glad to see Pope growing in confidence. We played some good stuff and Lookman showed some very classy touches.
    Disappointing result and flat atmosphere.
  • Didn't deserve to lose today. Our disallowed goal should have stood, no foul was made. Derby have a lot of cheating, un-sporting players and were disgraceful.

Huge mention to Popey who played a blinder. Hope it continues to build confidence. Not a fan of those who booed Makienok when he came on and apart from missing a free header on goal, he played well.

Confused by the subs today. Relegation looms on Tuesday. The Fraeye period really did us.
  • Sponsored links:

• I just watched the highlights on Sky. We were very unlucky not to get at least a draw today.
  • Tex don't touch anyone, shit ref
  • Anyone on here willing to own up to booing and jeering Makienok? It doesn't seem to matter if this bloke has a good game (which he did when he came on, and did vs QPR last week), he still gets abuse.

Plenty in the north upper do it, and some of you must post on here. I'd love to understand your reasoning.

The same idiots that used to boo big Carl Leaburn
  • edited April 2016
    Not gonna dwell on off-field negatives.

We didn't deserve to lose.

Our goal was good and no more than we deserved based on our positive start to the 2nd half - until it was unbelievably cancelled out by a complete f**kwit (or two, if you include the linesman).

Teixeira is as good a find at this level as getting Jorge Costa was when we were in the Premiership.

Teixeira, Fanni, Diarra - had they been playing early season we would be up there challenging - if we'd had Kashi as well to rotate with Diarra - scary thought of what might have been.

Motta - just love the bloke - a really positive footballer and we improved so much when he came on - he should be starting, though.

Makienok was the best I've seen him today - the coaches have been working on him big time - his positioning, the timing of his runs, the timing of his jumps - Championship standard, for sure, if he can do this consistently.

All we need is a finisher and we'd be competing at this level.

Pope's double save, especially the second save, the strong hand tipover, will remain with me forever - up there in specialness with a full length Charlie Wright save that has stayed with me from my childhood, Dean Kiely at his best and, outside Charlton, an Andy Marshall full length, top corner wonder save when in goal for Ipswich Town some years back - I said to my lad it was a save you'd see De Gea making, it was that good.
  • Just seen our disallowed goal on C5.

In what universe was that a foul?!?!?

Lunatic decision....
  • Igor has been poor for a while now, looking like a waste of money. Not all his fault, playing whilst carrying an injury last year etc. I honestly think we might not ever see him fully fit again, he's still living off that first month in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everything I have read and seen showed that we played really well again.

Unfortunately, we lack a proper creative midfielder and a natural goal scorer. (The two position which you have to spend serious money to purchase these players).

The main positive for me is I can see the shape of next season forming and I am very positive about Nick Pope being the goal keeper.

• Having seen the highlights now, looks to me like the ref got our disallowed one correct. Tex jumps at Carson without looking at the ball and I'm pretty sure the ball hit his arm on its way into the net.
  • Having seen the highlights now, looks to me like the ref got our disallowed one correct. Tex jumps at Carson without looking at the ball and I'm pretty sure the ball hit his arm on its way into the net.

He isn't looking at the ball but he makes no contact with the keeper before he heads the ball, goal should definitely have stood
  • uie2 said:

Anyone on here willing to own up to booing and jeering Makienok? It doesn't seem to matter if this bloke has a good game (which he did when he came on, and did vs QPR last week), he still gets abuse.

Plenty in the north upper do it, and some of you must post on here. I'd love to understand your reasoning.

The same idiots that used to boo big Carl Leaburn
    Or Lawrie Madden or Keith peacock or Garry Nelson or Peter Shaw or....
  • edited April 2016
    We have been very unlucky for the last three games and could easily have 7 more points with a very little swing of fortune. We were down anyway so yesterday doesn't hurt and in many ways I'm glad the ref's incompetence hasn't cost us like it did at home to Fulham those years ago. It isn't grating on me. In fact the people who should be livid are Derby's promotion rivals. Due to the timing of their goal, they basically moved from a position where they should have been one goal down to being one goal up.

Was a teasing ball for Carson to handle - big mistake of his to try to catch it, Tex got his head to the ball before contact and it was just their trajectories that brought them into each other. This is why there needs to be video evidence, but in all honesty, the ref should have spotted that it was a fair goal. Like I said, it doesn't hurt outside of highlighting a general issue in football, but that was three points nicked from us by the officials. I was celebrating, there wasn't even a question in my mind it was a goal and I had a great angle. If we had a few more points, that ref could have sent us down!!! He could have prevented a team from making the play offs that should have done!!!

Other than that, a draw would have been a fair result. Derby were better in the final third in the first half, we were the better team in the second. Shame we didn't have this team a few months back, when relegation was being secured!

• Was a teasing ball for Carson to handle - big mistake of his to try to catch it, Tex got his head to the ball before contact and it was just their trajectories that brought them into each other. This is why there needs to be video evidence, but in all honesty, the ref should have spotted that it was a fair goal. Like I said, it doesn't hurt outside of highlighting a general issue in football, but that was three points nicked from us by the officials.

Objectively, I don't agree with you Muttley. Totally understand your evaluation but unfortunately, the ref will always give that as a free kick for the keeper. Teixiera has eyes fixed on Carson from the 6 yard line in as he makes his run, plus he then leads with his forearm. Irrespective of whether or not he headed it in, the ref will give a foul. The (lack of) reaction against the decision from Charlton players was also very telling.
  • edited April 2016
    The result didn't matter so I am not being biased, that is a fair goal every day of the week! Header was made before natural trajectories took both together, that is the simple fact.
  • Although I do not boo or jeer Makienok I will not be sorry to see him return to Mallorca (think that's where we loaned him from). He actually made what appeared to be a glaring miss with his head which would have given us a well deserved equaliser, only showed some potential in the match against Rotherham. but he has been warming the bench for large parts of Riga's reign and for good reason (not good enough for Championship).
  • Summed our season up really , as stated above it didn't matter , I thought our first touch was poor generally compared to Derby - we showed flashes of brilliance up front but not enough , too easily pushed off the ball , our disallowed "Goal" I thought Carson cleverly made it look a lot worse than it was and equally their actual Goal perhaps Pope could have been more commanding and then would have won a FK....pointless anyway but.....having said that for me Pope has been a revelation recently and is one of the few plus points .