Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to add - I’m having trouble getting hold of Growbags for tomatoes. Will probably just do them in large pots instead. I’ve got compost, leaf mould, bog standard soil etc - what sort of mix of these would work best?
    Are you anywhere local to polhill garden centre? They have them, and deliver locally for free over 20 quid. 

If they run out, they seem to restock fast.

Regards tomatoes, mine are looking very well developed in terms of leaves, but seem short for their 'age'. Been in for nearly a month and are about an inch tall or less, but as I say with 4 or more leaves out...
  • Options
    Given that I see tomato plants sprouting up everywhere wild the type of fertiliser shouldn't be as important and as expensive as we make it. 

Grow bags arent a big expense but if you have soil, a bit of fertiliser they should grow. I used to get them growing up through he pebbles from seeds of previous crops of tomatoes. 

So I guess we could just bury a load of old tomatoes and see where that takes us! 

my radishes are taking really well, no movement on anything else apart from a tiny bit of spring onion leaf poking up. I've covered all the pots with upturned transparent buckets to give them a helping hand of a greenhouse effect 

I'm going to make a composter out of a couple of pallets I have doing nothing apart from making the place look untidy 
  • Options
    I grew my tomatoes in compost the last couple of years.  The plants have looked healthy and cropped well, but I have suffered some blossom end rot.  I believe this is more likely due to my watering regime than the soil though.  Must say never experienced any problems when I used to grow tomatoes in open ground, but my small garden is full and I use containers now which no doubt require more attention to watering and careful placement to allow for good ventilation. 
  • Options
    I grew my tomatoes in compost the last couple of years.  The plants have looked healthy and cropped well, but I have suffered some blossom end rot.  I believe this is more likely due to my watering regime than the soil though.  Must say never experienced any problems when I used to grow tomatoes in open ground, but my small garden is full and I use containers now which no doubt require more attention to watering and careful placement to allow for good ventilation. 
    I’ve also had blossom end rot for the last few years, but only on certain varieties. Sadly by the time they’re in the grow bag I’ve lost the label that tells me which they are, but only some get it. I can usually salvage half of the fruit by cutting the rotten bit off. 
    Had a bad year of blight a few seasons ago. Wiped out huge amounts. I think it was a really cold, wet summer.
  • Options
    Forgot to add - I’m having trouble getting hold of Growbags for tomatoes. Will probably just do them in large pots instead. I’ve got compost, leaf mould, bog standard soil etc - what sort of mix of these would work best?
    If you have any ash left over from a bonfire/wood burner I'd mix in a bit of that 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Given that I see tomato plants sprouting up everywhere wild the type of fertiliser shouldn't be as important and as expensive as we make it. 

Grow bags arent a big expense but if you have soil, a bit of fertiliser they should grow. I used to get them growing up through he pebbles from seeds of previous crops of tomatoes. 

So I guess we could just bury a load of old tomatoes and see where that takes us! 

my radishes are taking really well, no movement on anything else apart from a tiny bit of spring onion leaf poking up. I've covered all the pots with upturned transparent buckets to give them a helping hand of a greenhouse effect 

I'm going to make a composter out of a couple of pallets I have doing nothing apart from making the place look untidy 
    Makes me feel better, I have spinach in the ground going great guns, but not seen much else in the ground. Got three pea seedlings showing but that's it. 

Have a small lean to greenhouse thing, herbs, toms and chillis going well in there (apart from their diminutive appearance.)

Spinach seems easy/low maintenance, though assume it will be slug heaven. 
  • Options
    Are you anywhere local to polhill garden centre? They have them, and deliver locally for free over 20 quid. 

Regards tomatoes, mine are looking very well developed in terms of leaves, but seem short for their 'age'. Been in for nearly a month and are about an inch tall or less, but as I say with 4 or more leaves out...
    I’m not too far from Polhill - will get on the website- thank you!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Does anyone know of any Landscape Gardeners that are still working that can be recommended?
  • Options

Brilliant! Been on their website and ordered my grow bags and some other stuff. I’m local enough for them to deliver too. Thank you b much for recommending :)
  • Options

Brilliant! Been on their website and ordered my grow bags and some other stuff. I’m local enough for them to deliver too. Thank you b much for recommending :)
    My pleasure! Really pleased i could get them more business, they've been great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My hemp plantation is struggling, went mad last year but this year I think it all needed a bit more TLC. When that stuff takes though it goes mad 
  • Options
    Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to deal with aphids? Is it just spraying soapy water? My lupins are being ruined by them at the moment - one of them had a high population of aphids on it last year but that was later on when it was mature - this year them seem to be getting to them early and they've gone to town over the last day or two.

Another one of the lupins started growing and then just stopped - no sign of any pests and seemingly something has got it from the roots?

Any advice most appreciated.

The slugs are out with force now too!
  • Options
    Im back on the gardening this week, the new blades have turned up for my reciprocating saw! 
  • Options
    Lack of water is the issue here, my water butts are all v low.
  • Options
    Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to deal with aphids? Is it just spraying soapy water? My lupins are being ruined by them at the moment - one of them had a high population of aphids on it last year but that was later on when it was mature - this year them seem to be getting to them early and they've gone to town over the last day or two.

Another one of the lupins started growing and then just stopped - no sign of any pests and seemingly something has got it from the roots?

Slug problem, get yourself some frogs, toads and hedgehogs.

I don't really like using  too many chemicals in the garden as the above creatures and birds will also eat the the various chemicals in pesticides. I wouldn't have thought its healthy for them. But I do give my plants a once a year spray to keep the black fly down. A bit counter what I preach but I try to keep it to a minimum. 
  • Options
    Dig a small hole, put a cup, glass or plastic beaker in it, about 2 inches of ale in the bottom. Slugs love it, and they drown in it. You will catch more the richer the beer you use apparently. 

Once you have a few pounds of dead slugs in the ale chuck them down the bottom of the garden and a hedgehog will eat them. Very effective but I feel resentful giving up ale 

So my jagged bit of plastic spear comes into play most evenings to slewer the slimy bastards
  • Options

I spray with soapy water. It seems to make them stick to the leaves, then I wash it off later. Repeat next day etc. 
    Last year’s lupins were totally trashed by slugs. I like the sheep’s wool pellets - use them along with nematodes. Nematodes take 4 days or so to start working. Wool pellets straight away as they form a barrier. I can’t believe the amount of damage a slug can do overnight. Bastards!
  • Options
    Garlic spray is a good one but a little smelly for a day or two. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Carter said:
    Dig a small hole, put a cup, glass or plastic beaker in it, about 2 inches of ale in the bottom. Slugs love it, and they drown in it. You will catch more the richer the beer you use apparently. 

Once you have a few pounds of dead slugs in the ale chuck them down the bottom of the garden and a hedgehog will eat them. Very effective but I feel resentful giving up ale 

So my jagged bit of plastic spear comes into play most evenings to slewer the slimy bastards
    Buy a case of strong real ale.

Drink it.

Who cares what the slugs fu*c*Kn🐌 eat. Buy a bunch of flowers tomorrow for the wife.

Maybe.

Buy more beer. 🍺

Drink more beer. 🍺🍺

Study brewing beer whilst planning how to change shed into a man room.

Brew more beer.

Drink more beer.

Nip out about 10pm and brain the little bastards.
    You got that from Alan Titchmarsh’s autobiography didn’t you.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Carter said:

Buy a case of strong real ale.

Drink it.

Who cares what the slugs fu*c*Kn🐌 eat. Buy a bunch of flowers tomorrow for the wife.

Maybe.

Buy more beer. 🍺

Drink more beer. 🍺🍺

Study brewing beer whilst planning how to change shed into a man room.

Brew more beer.

Drink more beer.

Nip out about 10pm and brain the little bastards.
    You got that from Alan Titchmarsh’s autobiography didn’t you.
    Alan Titchmarsh needs a man room. Just saying🥃
  • Options
    Here’s the little bugger with his head poking out from the left under one of last year’s grow bags. I’ve left it in all bloody year. I thought he’d moved to the Dahlia pots on a permanent basis so was going to chuck it out - but here he is!
  • Options
    Have been sowing seeds of sprouts, cauliflowers, cabbages, kale etc. Got some goodish seedlings now - maybe an inch or two high. I've never had success with these before due to various critters eating them. I know you should stick a net over - not sure I've got any. Any other tips?
  • Options
    How's your frog grow bag doing? very interesting concept I may have to rethink my pond.