Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    You ain’t my postman are you? I have had my doubts for some time now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Dupe
  • Options
    I’ve read about nematodes before but never used them. I’ve ordered some and I’m sure they come with instructions but any tips @Arsenetatters?
  • Options
    I’ve read about nematodes before but never used them. I’ve ordered some and I’m sure they come with instructions but any tips @Arsenetatters?

Keep them in the fridge until you are going to use them.
    I make sure that the areas I want to cover are watered before application, especially as it's so dry at the mo.

When you've made up the stock solution keep stirring to make sure the nematodes are dispersed evenly.

My watering can rose gets bunged after a few waters so I have to keep shaking it so all the nematodes are evenly distributed.

Apply when in a cooler part of the day.

:)

• Options
    Going to sow a few more tomato and cucumber seeds today. My earlier ones have come up (some of them) and I potted them on a few days ago but this next sowing is a 'just in case'. Last year my first seedlings didn't do well and I ended up sowing another lot later than you should. They did produce fruit but not a large crop. March and April are really busy times if you, like me, try to grow stuff from seed. I have trouble getting the timing right for beans and courgettes - either too early and the beans are ready to plant out before the end of the frosts, or too late and I'm praying for them to catch up.
  • Options
    @ROTW is it a type of lavender?
  • Options
    Going to sow a few more tomato and cucumber seeds today. My earlier ones have come up (some of them) and I potted them on a few days ago but this next sowing is a 'just in case'. Last year my first seedlings didn't do well and I ended up sowing another lot later than you should. They did produce fruit but not a large crop. March and April are really busy times if you, like me, try to grow stuff from seed. I have trouble getting the timing right for beans and courgettes - either too early and the beans are ready to plant out before the end of the frosts, or too late and I'm praying for them to catch up.
    I've had a slow start, blood spring onions and radishes went in yesterday. I have tomatoes, cucumbers and baby turnips also to go in. It will be a bit hit and miss as I've only got a few blocks of coconut coir and allpurpose fertiliser this year and they will all have to grow and live in pots as the propagation stuff died a death last autumn and got recycled. I have a lot of empty bottles saved up to be cut in half to offer some greenhouse effect and protection but people have grown stuff with less so I'm sure I'll be ok. Slug pellets will go down in a week or so and I'll do my nightly patrol with a sharp bit of plastic to skewer any rogue slugs. The snails get a far more dignified use of being repurposed to the compost hole 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Haven’t a clue mate? Think it might be broccoli.
    Either way, if it doesn’t buck its ideas up, its out.
  • Options
    Sowed parsnips yesterday, along with beetroot and a few turnips. I've never managed to grow a turnip yet! For some reason they don't make it past the leaf stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I make sure that the areas I want to cover are watered before application, especially as it's so dry at the mo.

When you've made up the stock solution keep stirring to make sure the nematodes are dispersed evenly.

My watering can rose gets bunged after a few waters so I have to keep shaking it so all the nematodes are evenly distributed.

I'm trying the electrified wire approach on slugs this year.  Attach a 9v battery to two wires strung round the raised bed about 1 cm between them and when the slugs short the circuit they just recoil back and go somewhere else.  Looks foolproof, but don't put anything past slugs.

On pests, I thought my wife was being murdered last night.  She went to the back door and as she opened it a black scorpion scurried past her. Seems they do exist in the southern parts and a colony thrives in Sheerness.
  • Options
    Sowed parsnips yesterday, along with beetroot and a few turnips. I've never managed to grow a turnip yet! For some reason they don't make it past the leaf stage.
    Have grown them before...they like good soil...Dt they all !...they never seem to look like the ones in the shop but edible once cleaned..it's a bit of an old wives take but they say you should dig them up fresh after a frost and they 'll taste sweeter that way 

Good luck !
  • Options
    Have runners coming along from seed ..planted out pots of carrots and lettuce yesterday 

Have a big rabbit issue where I am so can't put things directly into the soil ..however do have blackberries,pears plums and apples to look forward to later in the season 

We could do with some rain 
  • Options

I'm trying the electrified wire approach on slugs this year.  Attach a 9v battery to two wires strung round the raised bed about 1 cm between them and when the slugs short the circuit they just recoil back and go somewhere else.  Looks foolproof, but don't put anything past slugs.

On pests, I thought my wife was being murdered last night.  She went to the back door and as she opened it a black scorpion scurried past her. Seems they do exist in the southern parts and a colony thrives in Sheerness.
    I’ve not heard of the electric wire method. Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Carter said:
    Started using 'Nemaslug' nematodes again yesterday. Pretty expensive but seemed to help last year, along with wool pellets.
    Nematodes are awesome, deal with slugs like nothing else and when growing veg that is important 

That said I've still not managed to get the cost of anything I grow below about 4 quid per unit!
    I try and forget the cost compared with veg crops the little bastards have eaten overnight. Last year they did my sprouts and it was too late to sow more seeds. Really disheartening!
    Allegedly, sprinkling gravel/small stones/grit around the planted up area deters the little b*ggers...they don't like crossing it .

Might be worth trying ?
    Also, finely crushed eggshells.
    Frogs, toads, hedgehogs and birds are the best for controlling snails and slugs. I have lots of empty snail shells but almost no plant damage. 
    Yes.  But a lot of people don't really like finely crushed frogs. 
    No, it makes getting the legs off difficult
  • Options

Yesterday I heard a loud 'explosion' coming from the other side of the garden. Ran over to where it was and found a shocked looking Mr Tatters. He said it was really loud and thought it was a gun shot so had immediately taken cover. We went up to the field at the back - assuming we'd see someone running off. Naturally I thought it was someone after the chooks.

We carried on as before and Mr Tatters tried to wheel his barrow again. It was the tyre that had burst! Never heard anything so loud.

That reminds me of when my strimmer broke the greenhouse window. It was like a gunshot with flying glass! I've always hand picked the grass since then.
  • Options
    copper tape and nematodes have arrived just in time to do battle with the slugs and snails.

still some plants left 😱
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    aliwibble said:
    Haven’t a clue mate? Think it might be broccoli.
    Either way, if it doesn’t buck its ideas up, its out.

It does look like some sort of brassica imo.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'd appreciate some advice from the green fingered experts on this thread. I've got two north facing raised beds on my patio. My wife's annoyed that I haven't filled them and got the kids planting veg and flowers. Any ideas about the do's and don'ts of lining and filling the things and any inspiration for what to put in them?
  • Options
    I'd appreciate some advice from the green fingered experts on this thread. I've got two north facing raised beds on my patio. My wife's annoyed that I haven't filled them and got the kids planting veg and flowers. Any ideas about the do's and don'ts of lining and filling the things and any inspiration for what to put in them?

Read this: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/19/gardens1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Read this: https://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/
  • Options

There are thousands of the little bastards at Sheerness docks, I worked there a few times and remember laying on my side to reach a tool that had landed underneath a portacabin and there was loads of them. 

Bananas apparently are how they get in
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    What’s this?
    Should I continue to waste water on it?

Ta.
    Looks like purple sprouting broccoli. Looks like the leaves are being attacked by caterpillars. Look underneath the leaves and give them a spray of bug killer.
    The season starts it the autumn and ends at the end of April so if nothing edible, Chuck them.
    If growing again they grow best sheltered from the wind.
  • Options
    Looks like you do have a few good stems that are edible. The flowers go green during cooking. 

A bit of butter - yum 🤤 
  • Options
    My grow your own spuds kit arrived y'day and my 'column' fruit trees have just been delivered (life outside DOES still go on to some extent) .. I now have a bit of digging and planting to do
  • Options
    Toms and chillies are showing plenty of signs of life in  the greenhouse ,got some very tender plants creeping nearer the door but need to judge their exit into the garden just right. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Redrobo said:
    ROTW said:
    What’s this?
    Should I continue to waste water on it?

Ta.
    Looks like purple sprouting broccoli. Looks like the leaves are being attacked by caterpillars. Look underneath the leaves and give them a spray of bug killer.
    The season starts it the autumn and ends at the end of April so if nothing edible, Chuck them.
    If growing again they grow best sheltered from the wind.
    Think you nailed it mate.
    Think I have just sorted the wife’s breakfast in bed idea.
  • Options
    Some years back I had an excess of Russian Comfrey growing in the garden. Amongst a whole host of other things it is noted for its excellent fertilising properties. 

I, (not wishing to do things by half) crammed as many leaves as I could into a water butt and awaited whilst the magic occurred.  Weeks later I turned the tap on and out came this deep brown liquid gold.  It does have a certain aroma about it.   Anyway, I decided to distribute the whole lot around the garden. I kid you not the reek was horrendous and permeated not only at ground level, but also the very air that you breathe - from a standing position - and over a wide area.  To put it mildly it absolutely k'ing stunk!

The next day I bumped into a neighbour who asked if I'd noticed the smell.  I said I had indeed and wondered if the hot summer had affected the sewers 😳.  My since departed wife made me promise on oath that this exercise would never be repeated - I have stuck to that promise.

I pretty much eradicated the comfrey from my garden over the following years.  It is ridiculously difficult to get rid of as is incredibly deep rooted and spreads very quickly.  In fact my neighbour's garden, which has always been lacking in TLC still has some which no doubt originally transported itself from my garden. 

Yesterday I reached through the fence and tore off a bucket load of leaves, took a cursory glance at the water butt and then deposited them in the compost heap - a much safer option all round.    

I make this stuff every year and god does it smell! I got some on my hands once and the smell would just not go. Gloves are a must :)

i had trouble trying to grow it! If only I knew you’d got some! I tried seeds with no luck so ended up ordering plants on line. I can’t remember what colour their flowers are but the bees seem to love them.
    Having said I make it every year I don’t really know how much of the liquid to use on my tomatoes or how much to dilute it. Looks like it might be a tricky year to get tomato fertiliser from shops so I’ll have to make more. 
  • Options
    Forgot to add - I’m having trouble getting hold of Growbags for tomatoes. Will probably just do them in large pots instead. I’ve got compost, leaf mould, bog standard soil etc - what sort of mix of these would work best?