Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Any tips for discouraging blackbirds from throwing the chip bark in our borders everywhere? A couple happily make a mess every 5 minutes. I then spend 20 minutes tidying it all back up whilst they tweet their laughter at me from a nearby tree, waiting for me to disappear and then do it all over again. I'm beginning to hate the little bastards.
    Get a cat
  • Options
    Any tips for discouraging blackbirds from throwing the chip bark in our borders everywhere? A couple happily make a mess every 5 minutes. I then spend 20 minutes tidying it all back up whilst they tweet their laughter at me from a nearby tree, waiting for me to disappear and then do it all over again. I'm beginning to hate the little bastards.
    Get a cat
    Forgot to add; Also trying to stop next doors cat from shitting in said chip bark. Could get a dog  but this could develop into a version of the Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
    You can get deterrents, although not sure how effective they are. Would imagine the ones that spray water would work. 
  • Options
    Crested Newts are our little visitors up here, large pond in the fields next to our garden so it's always nice to have a few strays pop by. 
  • Options
    I ha ent from tomatoes from seed for a while. Don’t have a greenhouse. Do have propagation/cloche.

Plan to plant the time outside, anyone know how big the plant needs to be/when I should plant out?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    You need to get the seeds planted now, before it’s too late. 
    Grow in pots until big enough to plant out when it’s warm enough. Normally late May. Most varieties don’t like to go below 13 degrees. 
    I normally wait until they’re at least 18 inches tall. 
  • Options
    i have a small trained cherry tree and the cherries are starting. Any ideas as to how best to stop the birds from eating them all? I don’t really want to build a fixed cage for the tree as don’t have room but any decent net/draping betting options (I really have no idea)?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Grow in pots until big enough to plant out when it’s warm enough. Normally late May. Most varieties don’t like to go below 13 degrees. 
    Ok thanks, they are in seed drill thingies already and about 2 inches high. I’ll pot them on into bigger pots then rather than letting them take their chances now:
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ok thanks, they are in seed drill thingies already and about 2 inches high. I’ll pot them on into bigger pots then rather than letting them take their chances now:
    I’d let them get a bit bigger first. It’s easier when they’re four inches or so 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I’d let them get a bit bigger first. It’s easier when they’re four inches or so 👍
    Thanks James, the voice of experience ‘4 inches or so’ 😂 
  • Options
    i have a small trained cherry tree and the cherries are starting. Any ideas as to how best to stop the birds from eating them all? I don’t really want to build a fixed cage for the tree as don’t have room but any decent net/draping betting options (I really have no idea)?
    A) You can open up an umbrella over the tree and hang the netting from that.

B) Tying plastic bags over bunches protects them from birds and helps them ripen.
  • Options
    Get a cat
    Forgot to add; Also trying to stop next doors cat from shitting in said chip bark. Could get a dog  but this could develop into a version of the Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
    You can get deterrents, although not sure how effective they are. Would imagine the ones that spray water would work. 
    A water cannon ? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Redrobo said:
    A) You can open up an umbrella over the tree and hang the netting from that.

B) Tying plastic bags over bunches protects them from birds and helps them ripen.
    Thanks I like the umbrella idea. I am however going to have to dob you in to @cabbles for the use of B) rather than B )
  • Options
    Bought six lavender plants 10 days ago because I read that they are basically the easiest thing to look after. At least one of them looks like it’s going to die now, the other five are on life support. It’s not going well so far. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    se9addick said:
    Bought six lavender plants 10 days ago because I read that they are basically the easiest thing to look after. At least one of them looks like it’s going to die now, the other five are on life support. It’s not going well so far. 
    Where did you plant them? They like sandy, well drained soil. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    As James says, these guys dont like to sit in water. They like it dry 

They also love full sunlight, which makes sense as they like dry earth 
  • Options
    anyone built / got any of them timber batten fences, the modern ones with the horizontal slats? Doing one in my garden wondering what people have used and stains that have worked well etc!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sorry if it's been said before but with a name like yours  you were born to be a gardener 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    lolwray said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sorry if it's been said before but with a name like yours  you were born to be a gardener 
    My name is Dutton.
    ‘Dutton’s Seeds’ has a ring to it?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    lolwray said:
    JamesSeed said:
    My name is Dutton.
    ‘Dutton Seeds’ has a ring to it?
    No but Sutton seeds has ! 
  • Options
    The much needed and anticipated rain has finally arrived hopefully filling my water butts as much as possible, now to prepare for the slug and snail invasion which is bound to follow, my hedgehog friends are hopefully very hungry. 
  • Options
    Could anyone advise me of the average price gardeners charge per hour these days? We'd been having gardeners (more landscape, lot of work involved) before lockdown, just had latest bill and prices have gone up. We're in Bromley though they come from Tenterden. Cheers. 
  • Options
    Well this lot want £29 per hour. They are a landscaping company rather than just a grass cutter/hedge trimmer so maybe that comes with a premium. To be fair they have done a lot of hard graft and don't slack off but does feel a lot. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    is that £29 per hour a person? or how many people? Doesn't seem a huge amount to be honest, even forgetting the fact of expenses, tools, petrol, traveling between jobs etc etc, if someone could manage a 6 hour day (allowing for travel between jobs) is £45k a year before all the expenses which would eat into that quite a lot.

£15 an hour is sub 20k a year gross on 6 hours, again before expenses and the like. If you have to run a van, buy tools, insurance etc thats probably barely minimum wage territory and you'd probably do better financially being PAYE in McDonalds. 
  • Options
    Per person. They do have to travel a fair distance although they come to me from another job that is midway. If it seems reasonable I'll stick with them as it's a hassle finding new ones. 
  • Options
    It doesn't sound unreasonable for a company to charge that. Tools, Vehicle, Insurance, National Insurance, pension, removal/waste disposal etc I doubt the staff member see's more than £18 of that, if that.