Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Fair enough, thanks. Though they don't dispose of waste I've been taking it to the dump. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    is that £29 per hour a person? or how many people? Doesn't seem a huge amount to be honest, even forgetting the fact of expenses, tools, petrol, traveling between jobs etc etc, if someone could manage a 6 hour day (allowing for travel between jobs) is £45k a year before all the expenses which would eat into that quite a lot.

£15 an hour is sub 20k a year gross on 6 hours, again before expenses and the like. If you have to run a van, buy tools, insurance etc thats probably barely minimum wage territory and you'd probably do better financially being PAYE in McDonalds. 
    Around my way with it’s older population, many with big gardens it’s a great place to earn a living gardening. The guys that do a couple of my neighbours gardens regularly turn work down, they are just too busy. I have to say they are gardeners and not the hackers and slashers with a mower and a blower.
    Ive often thought a youngster trying to make their way in life can, with a large amount of effort, can have a very fulfilling job and one that will pay a reasonable amount especially if they get a qualification.
  • Options
    I've become a little bit obsessed with growing roses over the last year. It started with maybe 5/6 around the garden, and I decided to take cuttings to propagate them, and potentially some point down the line cross seeds to create my own breeds. I think I manage to grow about 40 new roses last summer/autumn which have survived the winter. 

At the moment I have about 100 different known breeds in my front and back gardens with about another 80+ unknowns which include a whole lot I grew from cuttings, so I'm very interested to see what they will end up being.

Eventually I'm hoping to be able to sell some at markets etc, but just as a hobby really to pay for itself, because the compost and pots can accumulate to a fair amount of money, as do buying the original roses. Some of the well known breeders sell them for £25 each rose plant!! 

Anyone interested in seeing any photos let me know.
    I'd be interested to see any photos and learn more of your venture.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    is that £29 per hour a person? or how many people? Doesn't seem a huge amount to be honest, even forgetting the fact of expenses, tools, petrol, traveling between jobs etc etc, if someone could manage a 6 hour day (allowing for travel between jobs) is £45k a year before all the expenses which would eat into that quite a lot.

£15 an hour is sub 20k a year gross on 6 hours, again before expenses and the like. If you have to run a van, buy tools, insurance etc thats probably barely minimum wage territory and you'd probably do better financially being PAYE in McDonalds. 
    Around my way with it’s older population, many with big gardens it’s a great place to earn a living gardening. The guys that do a couple of my neighbours gardens regularly turn work down, they are just too busy. I have to say they are gardeners and not the hackers and slashers with a mower and a blower.
    Ive often thought a youngster trying to make their way in life can, with a large amount of effort, can have a very fulfilling job and one that will pay a reasonable amount especially if they get a qualification.
    What do they charge?

I used to use a local retired guy for my dads place when he couldn't do it anymore. He had no tools which was fine, just used my dads mower and cuttings went in his wheelie bin, it ws just his labour. Think it just kept him active and a bit of cash in his pocket (I doubt he declared anything!), used to give him £20 a time, was about an hours work, probably slightly less. That was 6-7 years ago.

Just don't see if you are doing it properly as a business you could charge less than £20/25 an hour and pay yourself more than minimum wage.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What do they charge?

I used to use a local retired guy for my dads place when he couldn't do it anymore. He had no tools which was fine, just used my dads mower and cuttings went in his wheelie bin, it ws just his labour. Think it just kept him active and a bit of cash in his pocket (I doubt he declared anything!), used to give him £20 a time, was about an hours work, probably slightly less. That was 6-7 years ago.

Just don't see if you are doing it properly as a business you could charge less than £20/25 an hour and pay yourself more than minimum wage.
    I never got their rates but I guess the average guy not working for a firm would aim for at least  £200/day so I think you are probably about right. 
    My old mother about 10 or more years ago used to have a woman round fortnightly and she had been to Hadlow college. She really knew her job and had built up a nice size business. I think my mum used to pay her £50 a time but it didn’t last that long, the gardener went on to bigger things. It’s a bit sad really as gardens generally decline with their owners. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Talal said:
    Well this lot want £29 per hour. They are a landscaping company rather than just a grass cutter/hedge trimmer so maybe that comes with a premium. To be fair they have done a lot of hard graft and don't slack off but does feel a lot. 
    If you want landscaping alterations that’s fine. If it’s general gardening it’s usually available much cheaper. Round my way we often get leaflets through the door from gardeners offering their services. You also get people leaving their details in the local newsagent’s window. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What do they charge?

I never got their rates but I guess the average guy not working for a firm would aim for at least  £200/day so I think you are probably about right. 
    My old mother about 10 or more years ago used to have a woman round fortnightly and she had been to Hadlow college. She really knew her job and had built up a nice size business. I think my mum used to pay her £50 a time but it didn’t last that long, the gardener went on to bigger things. It’s a bit sad really as gardens generally decline with their owners. 
    and I guess general gardening is pretty seasonal, not a lot of grass needs cutting Nov-Feb!
  • Options
    anyone built / got any of them timber batten fences, the modern ones with the horizontal slats? Doing one in my garden wondering what people have used and stains that have worked well etc!
    Done mine mate using broken crates. Look around industrial estates for the timber. Got mine from Canning Town. Used the trusted creosote (wickes) as the preserver. Look at earlier photo as an idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice, but you need to sort that pond filter out!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yup I know working on it today
    Half drained it 
    Cleaned out both pumps and filters but think both UV units are knackered 
    So might treat the pond to a nice upgrade on one of the pumps and a new uv filter unit
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Yup I know working on it today
    Half drained it 
    Cleaned out both pumps and filters but think both UV units are knackered 
    So might treat the pond to a nice upgrade on one of the pumps and a new uv filter unit
    Make your own;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCbP55QsNc&t=183s

I've got the plans if you need them somewhere.
  • Options
    These have suddenly popped up at the allotment. Does anyone know if they’re edible?

• Options
    If you pop them in the post I’ll send you £10 and I’ll let you know how good they were. 
  • Options
    If you pop them in the post I’ll send you £10 and I’ll let you know how good they were. 
    They’re not, are they??
  • Options

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’ve grown about 100 tomato plants this year and have been supplying my street’s WhatsApp group members. They’ve also taken chilli plants and varies beans and peas. I’ve been given a compost bin and some veg in return 👍. It’s been amazing getting to know loads of people on my street who I’ve never even seen before.
    Any Addicks living near Clapham Common are welcome to come and pick up a tomato plant if they want one. 
    Each year my allotment has been a bit of a disaster, mainly because we’re normally we’re away in spring and summer so can’t water, but this years it’s completely different, and I’ve loved being there. 
    I built 13 raised beds in October/November, which has also made a big difference. Feel very, very lucky to have it.
    This year I’m having another go at growing fennel and asparagus - never had any success at all in the past. 

Jimmy Seed and his marrow. He had a veg plot in the back garden in Bromley, but never took much interest in it.  
    I’m sure my missus will want to pop by and collect a tomato...
  • Options
    Just remembered to order another lot of slug nematodes for the 6 weekly application. @Alwaysneil don't forget yours!
  • Options
    Thanks @Arsenetatters, I have just received my next lot, the website I bought them from apparently does a 10% discount on repeat orders through the growing season which i might just take advantage of.

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/

I managed to get my copper tape round the inside of the top of the raised beds and that has very substantially reduced the number of slugs and snails I’m taking out of them 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks @Arsenetatters, I have just received my next lot, the website I bought them from apparently does a 10% discount on repeat orders through the growing season which i might just take advantage of.

https://www.greengardener.co.uk/

I managed to get my copper tape round the inside of the top of the raised beds and that has very substantially reduced the number of slugs and snails I’m taking out of them 😁
    Will give the repeat order thing a go. Thanks!
  • Options
    Found copper tape good so far, protecting my hostas which are all know as George Hosta.
    Do you sing to them? 
  • Options
    My slug hunting evening activities have been lessened by the use of wool tablets. The hosters are only about 3 inches high at the moment so arent of interest to slugs and snails yet. I've found a few on the decking that have been skewered and catapulted into a woodland. I'll say one thing it is mind blowing how far a slug flies out of a black widow catapult. 

I've used the little blue pellets as well but I dont like using them too much as I'm worried about birds eating them when they come for the slimers 
  • Options
    Has anyone found a supplier with stock for bedding plants who deliver? I've ordered some plants from Dobbies which are due to be delivered next month but now I've got nowhere else to be I am happy to fill more space in the garden not taken up with vegetable or fruit plants with colour 
  • Options
    Found copper tape good so far, protecting my hostas which are all know as George Hosta.
    Do you sing to them? 
    I can tell you this, they all hate millwall. 
  • Options
    Been doing bits to the garden past couple years since we moved in and inherited some of it including the pond but have more than made it our own and set up growing areas last year but was out of season. In the photos below is rhubarb, fig tree, potato's, tomatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, radishes, and cucumbers, also a huge pear tree, small apple tree and blackcurrants grow in abundance on the back fence. little fellas enjoyed it regardless. 
    Also, might need some advice with the pond, it was way overgrown and the fish were always happy but had a heron past couple of weeks and found it in the pond. We have cleaned it all out and taken bits back theat we're overgrown and cleaned the pump. The bit I'm worried about reading the above are the filter, I cant find one and although there was some old clapped out piping which wasn't connected to anything I haven't seen anything else.

How would I connected a filter and are the expensive, any advice accepted. 

• Options
    Nice pond. 
  • Options
    Been doing bits to the garden past couple years since we moved in and inherited some of it including the pond but have more than made it our own and set up growing areas last year but was out of season. In the photos below is rhubarb, fig tree, potato's, tomatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, radishes, and cucumbers, also a huge pear tree, small apple tree and blackcurrants grow in abundance on the back fence. little fellas enjoyed it regardless. 
    Also, might need some advice with the pond, it was way overgrown and the fish were always happy but had a heron past couple of weeks and found it in the pond. We have cleaned it all out and taken bits back theat we're overgrown and cleaned the pump. The bit I'm worried about reading the above are the filter, I cant find one and although there was some old clapped out piping which wasn't connected to anything I haven't seen anything else.

How would I connected a filter and are the expensive, any advice accepted. 

You would need to bring power down to the pond, I'm not an electrician however the grunt work you could do fairly easily. Dig a trench for some circular conduit/duct and run your cable through that from the closest point in your home (this is where you dont listen to me but a sparkie) that you can take off power. That way you can have lights and a filter/pump running. To keep the heron away the only solution is a net over the top as they are relentless. 

You could also run a cable along the wall/fence but it's hard to gauge from the pictures. I'm thinking about doing a pond and was researching solar filters and pumps but the research did not impress me so I will have to run power to it as well. The cable wont have to be mega deep
  • Options
    Hi pal, I got power right next to the pond which works the pump, it's how the filter works etc, I think they had some form of filter system before but it certainly wasn't powered just som shite old piping that went to a box full snails.