Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Ah well, best laid plans and all that, seems I'll still be seated in the East stand next season.  :/

• Options
    Ah well, best laid plans and all that, seems I'll still be seated in the East stand next season.  :/

Nah, all you need is a small brush and a tin of white paint, then pronto over to The RHS...they will never tell, failing that then back with your mates in the East it is.
  • Options
    Open Gardens is on up here this weekend, near neighbour has a truly incredible tropical garden so hoping to pick up some unusual goodies. 
  • Options
    What is the rude plant in your top picture Sillybilly? That would go well with some of my stuff. 
  • Options
    looks to be an Arum of the Dracunculus family.
  • Options
    Thanks Darty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the rude plant in your top picture Sillybilly? That would go well with some of my stuff. 
    Dragon Arum. It didn’t really open as expected unfortunately. 
  • Options
    Thanks SB I got no.1 (and only) son to order a couple online yesterday, they'll go well with my weeds. 
  • Options
    I'm not great at pictures but this brightens up a dark corner. 
  • Options
    On the subject of veg ..I am growing aubergines for the first time...trying to get the flowers to fruit seems to be a problem 
    .lack of sunshine hasnt helped..been trying to pollenate them manually no success yet 

Any tips ? 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    On the subject of veg ..I am growing aubergines for the first time...trying to get the flowers to fruit seems to be a problem 
    .lack of sunshine hasnt helped..been trying to pollenate them manually no success yet 

Any tips ? 
    I've never grown aubergines, but it seems they are quite fussy about conditions and need a long season to grow according to this. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-aubergines/#:~:text=Aubergines need a long season,t have a heated propagator).

I have really healthy looking tomato plants at present, but worry about the lack of sun.  Outside tomato growing season pretty much ends at the end of August so they need to get a move on over the next 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Fantastic weather forecast for this weekend , 27 degrees for Saturday, 28 on Sunday, time to truly enjoy the garden!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

Any tips ? 
    I've never grown aubergines, but it seems they are quite fussy about conditions and need a long season to grow according to this. https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-aubergines/#:~:text=Aubergines need a long season,t have a heated propagator).

I have really healthy looking tomato plants at present, but worry about the lack of sun.  Outside tomato growing season pretty much ends at the end of August so they need to get a move on over the next 6 weeks.
    Likewise my Tom's are late ...I bought the aubergines for a bit of fun and thankyou for think...as you say I think its lack of consistent sun

My fruit trees..2 apples and a pear wont give me much either this year due to the cold and windy spring 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    lolwray said:

Any tips ? 

Likewise my Tom's are late ...I bought the aubergines for a bit of fun and thankyou for think...as you say I think its lack of consistent sun

My fruit trees..2 apples and a pear wont give me much either this year due to the cold and windy spring 

I've tried aubergines many times after a good crop in the first year of trying. They were grown outside in a sheltered place and it was a very hot summer. Since then I have grown them in the greenhouse and had no success except the odd, small, bitter one! Have given up now.

My tomatoes are also behind but had one ripe fruit on my cherry tomato 'sungold' yesterday. This is my favourite cherry tomato, very sweet. Not found another type to match it. My beefsteak toms are way behind.
  • Options
    Banana needs a good drink when the shade creeps round. 
  • Options
    another oops.
  • Options
    Same plants with a bit of shade, water and a feed of liquid seaweed. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Anyone got any advice on removing ivy from rendered walls, specifically the bustard sucker roots, please? 

Tried -
    - Flame thrower
    - High pressure jet washer
    - Moss remover
    - Vinegar 

Just wondered if there's anything else
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Anyone got any advice on removing ivy from rendered walls, specifically the bustard sucker roots, please? 

Tried -
    - Flame thrower
    - Moss remover
    - Vinegar 

How much have you got to clear mate? When we had some growing up our back wall, I cut & separated it from where it came from ground level and removed as much as I could. It eventually just died and was easy to pull off.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Tried -
    - Flame thrower
    - Moss remover
    - Vinegar 

How much have you got to clear mate? When we had some growing up our back wall, I cut & separated it from where it came from ground level and removed as much as I could. It eventually just died and was easy to pull off.
    Loads mate tbh. We had mixed advice as far as clearing it dead and alive. I cut a load close to the floor with the strimmer a couple of years ago, and this summer, I just brushed what was left off with my hand. Because of that, we decided to go with the kill it off first advice and I went round cutting it all from the ground to about a meter up. Sure enough it's all now dead, but I can't even get the bigger bits off with a crowbar. What does come off, brings a load of rendered off with it.

It would probably come off in time like the first lot, but I'm wanting it off ASAP, so I can paint the wall and get the property on the market. Just wondered if there was any secret methods of concoctions available to speed it up a bit
  • Options
    I’m a Gardener and I’ve done a lot of ivy removal and if the render is already coming off that means even when it dies off the renderwill probably come off at the same time so if you’re trying to sell the house I would leave it on as it will look better than the wall where some of the rendering has fallen off
  • Options
    I’m a Gardener and I’ve done a lot of ivy removal and if the render is already coming off that means even when it dies off the renderwill probably come off at the same time so if you’re trying to sell the house I would leave it on as it will look better than the wall where some of the rendering has fallen off
    Cheers John