Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Help what are these? Found 3 in a pot should we be worried? Roughly 50 to 70mm long

• Options
    Magnificent. Let them fulfil their destiny is my advice. Are they Hawkmoth Caterpillars ? 

• Options
    Don’t worry we won’t kill or destroy them, just wondering what they were
  • Options
    Magnificent. Let them fulfil their destiny is my advice. Are they Hawkmoth Caterpillars ? 

I agree, I also think it's an Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar.  They are fond of Fuchsias.  If you really do not want it you could try relocating it to a woodland edge or rough grassland. They are probably having a hard time at the moment with it being so dry.
  • Options
    The pot and Fuchsias is watered daily so hopefully that will help them, going to leave them where they are, was just a bit of a shock seeing 3 of them looking at me, thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    Now I know the name looked it up and definitely agree, will try to dampen the plants tonight so they can have a drink, fascinating thanks
  • Options
    Now I know the name looked it up and definitely agree, will try to dampen the plants tonight so they can have a drink, fascinating thanks
    A few more pics as things progress would be good 👍
  • Options
    Will try but grand kids tomorrow so might be busy, how long before they turn into a beautiful moth?
  • Options
    Will try but grand kids tomorrow so might be busy, how long before they turn into a beautiful moth?
    The catapillar first turns into a chrysalis then the moth emerges. Not sure on timing but I think once it’s a chrysalis then a week. I have no doubt someone will know.
  • Options
    The catapillar first turns into a chrysalis then the moth emerges. Not sure on timing but I think once it’s a chrysalis then a week. I have no doubt someone will know.

Look's like you are in for a long wait!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite impressed with this 8 foot high thistle type plant in my son's garden.  If nothing else could also be used utilised to build your own medieval flail.

Bees love it!

• Options
    The grass in my garden has always been a problem.  It is weak, dies off the moment Summer arrives and has had for good measure a fungal growth underneath causing fairy rings and mushroom growth.

I have noticed of late the areas where clover is growing is at least green.  Not only the clover its self but the grass surrounding it.
    Further research has revealed this is the case.  Clover has the ability to improve soil and introduce nitrogen into the surrounding area.  

I am going to order some Clover seed and try to introduce it all over the grass.  It'll never be a 'lawn', but if I can get it to be green and harder wearing I'll be chuffed.

• Options
    Quite impressed with this 8 foot high thistle type plant in my son's garden.  If nothing else could also be used utilised to build your own medieval flail.

Bees love it!

I reckon that's a cardoon, aka artichoke thistle. The stems are supposed to be edible but for gawd's sake don't start chowing down on my say so!
  • Options
    The grass in my garden has always been a problem.  It is weak, dies off the moment Summer arrives and has had for good measure a fungal growth underneath causing fairy rings and mushroom growth.

I have noticed of late the areas where clover is growing is at least green.  Not only the clover its self but the grass surrounding it.
    Further research has revealed this is the case.  Clover has the ability to improve soil and introduce nitrogen into the surrounding area.  

I am going to order some Clover seed and try to introduce it all over the grass.  It'll never be a 'lawn', but if I can get it to be green and harder wearing I'll be chuffed.

Looks to me like your lawn needs an autumn scarification.  A thatch of organic matter builds up at the base of the leaves that needs to be chopped out before a re seeding. You can do it by hand - bloody hard work or rent a machine to do it. Bit like a lawnmower But obviously a different outcome. Scarification will allow the grass roots to breath and get the nutrients and water needed. Plenty of videos on scarification on YouTube.
  • Options
    I bought a very large seed tray from Wilkinsons £4.50 and three storage boxes from Asda £8 total.  The upturned boxes fit precisely in the seed tray and I have a decent sized propagator for £12.50.  In fact laid the other way all three boxes fit (with overhang)- allowing air flow.   Love it when a plan comes together  :)  - in fact I'm so happy I'm chitting my potatoes!  

• Options
    That's wonderfully improvised looks like decking for shelving and an old coffee table to give everything proper height for the seasonal low sun ..so what's planted so far ? Bit early for tomatoes..looks like geranium cuttings in there ..have to say it's a beautiful day for gardening @Raith_C_Chattonell
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    That's wonderfully improvised looks like decking for shelving and an old coffee table to give everything proper height for the seasonal low sun ..so what's planted so far ? Bit early for tomatoes..looks like geranium cuttings in there ..have to say it's a beautiful day for gardening @Raith_C_Chattonell
    Cheers Lol.  Primarily they are just seed potatoes chitting and a couple of cacti that may or may not survive the winter. 

I will use for tomatoes later on.  You are right by the way old decking panels.  I bolted the seed tray to that old bit of a plastic self so it don't tip up.  The biggest worry is that I've actually turned into my own Grandad  :|
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Cheers Lol.  Primarily they are just seed potatoes chitting and a couple of cacti that may or may not survive the winter. 

I will use for tomatoes later on.  You are right by the way old decking panels.  I bolted the seed tray to that old bit of a plastic self so it don't tip up.  The biggest worry is that I've actually turned into my own Grandad  :|
    That is exactly how I feel sometimes re parents and grandad 
  • Options
    Any one getting the bug yet? , it's been a bit harsh at times in the East Midlands this winter and I've lost some of my tropical stuff, but plenty of cannas bananas and my oldest Palm have survived, greenhouse stereo has pulled through so it's all systems go with a hippie sound track, much too the delight of my neighbour.
  • Options

Any one getting the bug yet? , it's been a bit harsh at times in the East Midlands this winter and I've lost some of my tropical stuff, but plenty of cannas bananas and my oldest Palm have survived, greenhouse stereo has pulled through so it's all systems go with a hippie sound track, much too the delight of my neighbour.
    Try a bit of punk mate, that will do it  .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    All good just outside battle ,snowdrops and daffs finished,it's going to be a good year for bluebells. All of my camellias are in bloom,azaleas just beginning to show.Palms coming out next week, will be uncovering the big banana soon( its giving off pups like anything) so have lots of smaller plants to cope with now.its been a cracking day today though birds in full song and grass growing almost visibly. 
    Got quite a few roses suffering from blackspot last year so planted garlic and it seems to work. 
    Blossom a bit late on fruit trees as are tomato and veg seedlings..need more sunshine. 
  • Options
    Been a promising weekend for it but then the schedule is rain all week now. I've started growing loads of stuff in one of the offices at my yard and its all doing well. Missus has gone kamikaze and put salad seeds out in a planter which I have covered and said a few prayers for. The primroses and other tough winter plants are loving it, I've chanced my arm with some violas in pots but am keeping everything else in the greenhouse. My ganja will go out soon surrounded by slug defence but by soon I realistically mean June. Baskets, hanging or otherwise will be mid May I predict once the trailing stuff has a chance 
  • Options
    Did you notice that Monty Don lost his bananas?  He has now given up on the exotic stuff.
  • Options
    Yes I spotted that on Friday, I should definitely be growing Mediterranean stuff but I just love the lush big leaves, I am up to five water butts now so I'll have to admit defeat eventually.
  • Options
    My tulips ( in containers) haven't shown yet ..everyone seems ahead of me 😪
  • Options
    Lost a few things over the winter and still waiting to see if a large ginger comes back, but not hopeful. My potted cannas are showing signs of life but not yet those in the ground. Put a parrot beak plant in a few weeks ago - essentially I've paid £30 for slug food, the slimy, little gits.

Been unwrapping my musa every day for a few weeks now, then wrapping it back up again overnight like a nutter. It's put on maybe 3 feet already so looking good, albeit getting absolutely battered by the wind tonight. Few things overwintered in my mum's summerhouse are looking good so looking forward to retrieving them.
  • Options
    I've grown tomatoes for many years from seed. 

This year for the first time I bought some of those patio type that tumble down over the pot. I was surprised that the packet contained 10 seeds only - of which only 8 germinated.  That's a bit tight.  :|
  • Options
    Ants nests in lawn.  I've got at least three, if not more.  Whats the best way of killing them off?  I've been forking them in the past and putting ant powder in but they keep coming back .  Any ideas?