Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ants nests in lawn.  I've got at least three, if not more.  Whats the best way of killing them off?  I've been forking them in the past and putting ant powder in but they keep coming back .  Any ideas?
    If you don’t mind damaging your lawn, boiling water normally does the trick for us. As an aside we just learnt that ants don’t like talcum powder, surprised it’s kept them away from our back steps and away from the house,
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Ants nests in lawn.  I've got at least three, if not more.  Whats the best way of killing them off?  I've been forking them in the past and putting ant powder in but they keep coming back .  Any ideas?
    If you don’t mind damaging your lawn, boiling water normally does the trick for us. As an aside we just learnt that ants don’t like talcum powder, surprised it’s kept them away from our back steps and away from the house,
    I tried the boiling water straight from the kettle a couple of years ago.  Burned a ft wide brown patch in the lawn which never recovered.  Ended up having to cut it out and patch it from elsewhere.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I put a couple of kettles of boiling water on and down the nest, it kills the grass but if you are careful you can keep the affected area small and it soon grows back 
  • Options
    I think the very damp spring has contributed to the ants nest problem ..I always use boiling water but it does bugger up the grass 
  • Options
    Have you tried pissing in the garden ? Oh no wait that’s for foxes. As you were.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    You should leave them be tbf.
    But if for some reason you really can't boiling water and/or nippon.
    Talc doesn't stop them, they just have to work out how to get round it.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Anybody use or tried one of these lawn management companies ? They visit four or five times a year and do all the shitty stuff like scarification and aeration plus overseed and feed ? Was thinking about it and wondered if it’s very expensive.TIA
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPLs4kxossA

This gives ants a bad day. 
  • Options
    Bicarbonate of soda is a kind way of moving ants along. I honestly don't mean to sound preachy but insect-life on planet earth is taking a battering. 

Slugs however and whatever hellspawn is eating my sunflowers can fuck right off 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ants weigh twice as much as elephants. 

(Aggregate).  
  • Options
    Anybody use or tried one of these lawn management companies ? They visit four or five times a year and do all the shitty stuff like scarification and aeration plus overseed and feed ? Was thinking about it and wondered if it’s very expensive.TIA
    I used to use Green Thumb when I had a much bigger garden but don’t bother now. I have just arranged a contract with them for one of my clients and they are very happy, the lawn looks fantastic 

If they operate where you live you can put your postcode in and your house will appear in Google Earth, you can then use a tool on their site to plot a line around your lawn following which you will be given a price 
  • Options
    Cheers Mike 👍
  • Options
    Daisies, dandelions, clover etc are a good source of nectar for bees and other insects. They may not give a bowling green lawn but are great for nature. 
  • Options
    Daisies, dandelions, clover etc are a good source of nectar for bees and other insects. They may not give a bowling green lawn but are great for nature. 
    Agree. We have spent a couple of years gradually turning a section of our lawn into a wildflower area. Working well and now have about ten varieties of different wildflowers giving pretty low maintenance colour. And also some fruits from the wild strawberries.
  • Options
    I've been using Green Man Lawn Care for the last couple of years.  I just pay for the base fee, which is £11pm.  He visits every 8 weeks and does weed and feed and has been doing an occasional redthread treatment.

My lawn is roughly speakingly two lots of 13 x 4m with a wide path dissecting them, so not too big.  They wanted to charge me £125-150 I think (IIRC) for scarify & aeriation but have bought my own scarifyer now after borrowing my parents last couple of years.

I scarified this morning to try and get all the thatch/dead stuff out then cut it second lowest setting on the mower.  Gave it a good soaking tonight then will feed it tomorrow evening.  Should be nice and green again next week.
  • Options
    Next job, got to demoss my path and get the grass out of it!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    We've had some ant hills too, I think they are flying ants. They are becoming a pain with about 8 small.mounds on the front lawn. I tried the boiling water trick but burnt the grass :(. Someone told me to drill a hole into the grass and pour boiling water into the hole to get rid of them, I might give that one a try.

• Options
    For lawns I can recommend this website.

https://gardenlawncareguy.com/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw04yjBhApEiwAJcvNocKbC-rYv0eozmqP53kTY1A1sTL27HpYoktFKutZ074WGKe8iQkkdxoCDPcQAvD_BwE

After having a new driveway I redid our front lawn. It's only small, but seeded it from the above, was amazed quite how well it worked out and now have the envy of the neighbourhood green stripe lawn!

Juts got to sort the back now as building work has wrecked it (wasn't great to start with).
  • Options
    Love the garden when the lawn has just had a cut

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bloody love this thread
  • Options
    Beautiful garden you have there @red10
  • Options
    I’ve just signed up to Greensleeves lawn care.  Missed out on Scarification and Hollow Tine aeration this season but they’re coming to survey the lawn and treat with a feed with a view to the mechanical jobs in the autumn. They come every 8 - 10 weeks to apply treatments and the mechanical treatments including overseeding cost around £150 per annum based on my sized lawn. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    How much does the local fox/cat population hate me?

The photo below is of the secret tomato plantation behind my shed.  I know the fence is used as a rat run for our local four legged creatures so I built in a rather (if I do say myself) impressive defence system.  On morning one after the installation all the tomato plants had been flattened   :/

Crucially, they were flattened rather than snapped and have recovered somewhat - perhaps it was just a warning.  Should I be worried?  Will they return to finish the job?  

• Options
    I mean, I won't let it get to me, but this ghost cat returns just to haunt me.

• Options
    Send it my way, magpies is my problem.
  • Options
    Quick shout out to any fans of the tropical garden look - Lidl's have a very reasonable offer on some pretty good Dwarf Cavendish musas and lots of alocosias at the moment. In the houseplant section but I'll use mine outside over the summer.

£9.99 or £14.99 with a ceramic pot. Well worth it. 

• Options
    Love it B A, disasters up here in the not so tropical midlands, lost several bananas and cannas over the winter after a greenhouse malfunction, ( big branch through roof), it has given me the chance to restock so I'll keep an eye out for them.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Love it B A, disasters up here in the not so tropical midlands, lost several bananas and cannas over the winter after a greenhouse malfunction, ( big branch through roof), it has given me the chance to restock so I'll keep an eye out for them.
    Even down here things are maybe a month behind where I'd expect them to be. I did lose an elephant ear and my ginger and cannas are playing catch up but at least they have made it through. My musa basjoo is going gangbusters though...