Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options

Dave they've gone floppy now!

Is that frost damage? Will it recover? (I hope it will)
  • Options
    Well I’m having an hour in the greenhouse sorting stuff out and getting ready for 2021. Have got some cuttings of bits and pieces and I’ve brought in not so hardy plants. It’s been really enjoyable and I feel much better for it.

So as a distraction from all the worrying news, I am wondering what you will do differently next gardening year? Here are mine -

Grow more carrots. I only did a small row this year but they turned out well.
    Give up growing all brassicas except sprouts. A real waste of time and energy. This year’s broccoli produced one sprig and the cauliflowers one small flower. 
    Going to try and get my squashes in much earlier. This year they grew ok but only produced squashes near the end of the growing season. 
  • Options
    our new home has got a real 'blank canvass' of a garden, much bigger than we previously had with a decent pond already in it.

looking forward to getting out there in the spring
  • Options
    our new home has got a real 'blank canvass' of a garden, much bigger than we previously had with a decent pond already in it.

looking forward to getting out there in the spring
    With a bit of luck you’ll get various bulbs coming up here and there in the new year if the previous owners planted any.
    Really good to have a pond already there.
  • Options
    Yeah they were clearly house proud, got a feeling all the beds will look pretty good
  • Options
    Been sorting out my seeds ready to start some off. Also got my seed potatoes by post today so have stuck those on the windowsill to chit. Feels like spring is in the way once I start getting ready.
  • Options
    The first Gardener's World on BBC2 last night. Great that they're doing hour long programs for the whole series this year.
    Amazing lady who gardens with her feet. In her alotment she was starting a 'no dig' bed. I've done one for the first time this year - just to see how it works. Not planted anything in it yet. Has anyone else tried this?
  • Options
    Yeah they were clearly house proud, got a feeling all the beds will look pretty good
    How's the garden in your new place looking now it's Spring? Any bulbs come up?
  • Options
    Yeah bits and pieces popping up and starting to see a bit of colour already. Even just cutting the grass made a whole heap of difference 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes took my palms and bananas in for the winter ..I ll give it another couple of weeks I think 
  • Options
    I braved 3 bananas and 3 palms over the winter, most of the stuff under cover should be fine but the outside bananas I'll be delighted when they shot, fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    Time to trim your bush
  • Options
    I wondered if any horticulturalist might be able to help, went into my garden for the first time this year to cut the grass this morning and found this weed had grown over about half the lawn - anyone know what it is?

• Options
    Another pic

• Options
    One last picture 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The little blue flower looks like speedwell or a chickweed, which both have weak roots & are easy to remove either by hand or with lawn weedkiller.
    The larger leaves - a bit like dandelion but more grey - look like sow thistle.  Better to hand weed that usind a narrow "daisy grubber", as it has a taproot like a dandelion and will resprout if broken off.  When the stem is broken it exudes white latex-like juice to which some people are allergic.
  • Options
    Any tips for discouraging blackbirds from throwing the chip bark in our borders everywhere? A couple happily make a mess every 5 minutes. I then spend 20 minutes tidying it all back up whilst they tweet their laughter at me from a nearby tree, waiting for me to disappear and then do it all over again. I'm beginning to hate the little bastards.
    You could try sprinkling some cayenne pepper along your borders it worked for me in a raised bed where the buggers kept flicking the bark in every direction. Only trouble is when it rains and washes it away and you have to start all over again.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    The little blue flower looks like speedwell or a chickweed, which both have weak roots & are easy to remove either by hand or with lawn weedkiller.
    The larger leaves - a bit like dandelion but more grey - look like sow thistle.  Better to hand weed that usind a narrow "daisy grubber", as it has a taproot like a dandelion and will resprout if broken off.  When the stem is broken it exudes white latex-like juice to which some people are allergic.
    Amazing - thank you, that’ll be tomorrow’s job! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I wondered if any horticulturalist might be able to help, went into my garden for the first time this year to cut the grass this morning and found this weed had grown over about half the lawn - anyone know what it is?

Try a selective lawn weed killer like Verdone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think verdone is now called Weedol lawn weedkilller, changed its name a few years ago.
  • Options
    Any advice or tips on how to prevent or deal with dog peeing on the lawn ultimately creating those yellow nitrogen rich patches ? I’ve tried soaking those areas when they pop up to dilute the nitrogen and even tried a volcanic rock in the dogs drinking water but it’s a losing battle. Any help appreciated. 
  • Options
    Any advice or tips on how to prevent or deal with dog peeing on the lawn ultimately creating those yellow nitrogen rich patches ? I’ve tried soaking those areas when they pop up to dilute the nitrogen and even tried a volcanic rock in the dogs drinking water but it’s a losing battle. Any help appreciated. 
    Lock him in so he does it in the house.
    😬
  • Options
    We're finally getting round to having our garden sorted, was supposed to be done last year just as we went into 1st lockdown. Had our old apple tree taken down to clear space at the end for a patio and rasied pond. Was a shame to see it go but it was on its way out.

Filling in the pond at the house end and putting a patio there too. 

@ricky_otto sent me pictures of the bar he's built at the end of is garden and will probably do the same (if that dimwit can build it, I'm sure I can).

Will be out there later, doing a bit of tidying in preparation for the 1st BBQ of the year this evening.

• Options
    Here is said Bar. The cheap vodka is for when you come around @DaveMehmet

Looks like a new Weatherspoons :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Here is said Bar. The cheap vodka is for when you come around @DaveMehmet

Looks like a new Weatherspoons :wink:
    It’s time like this when I wish my name was Trevor - Trevorspoons I’d have called it.