Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:

Can't wait for the rematch where Joshua will win even less rounds and get knocked out because his ego is so big he can't handle playing to his strengths. 
    Can't believe his team are stupid enough to try that same tactic again
    Unfortunately I think Joshua left for planet AJ a while ago. The only hope he has against Usyck is to rough him up and that isn't Joshuas game, never has been. He's 6 foot five and hates, I mean is instantly made visibly uncomfortable in any tight spot, be that a shorter fighter putting his head on his chest and throwing combos, or a fast fighter not standing in front of Joshua like a pudding or someone who matches him for size and roughs him up. 

He is naive in the extreme if he thinks he has a prayer against Usyck by trying to outbox him. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Croydon said:

Can't wait for the rematch where Joshua will win even less rounds and get knocked out because his ego is so big he can't handle playing to his strengths. 
    Unfortunately I think Joshua left for planet AJ a while ago. The only hope he has against Usyck is to rough him up and that isn't Joshuas game, never has been. He's 6 foot five and hates, I mean is instantly made visibly uncomfortable in any tight spot, be that a shorter fighter putting his head on his chest and throwing combos, or a fast fighter not standing in front of Joshua like a pudding or someone who matches him for size and roughs him up. 

He is naive in the extreme if he thinks he has a prayer against Usyck by trying to outbox him. 
    He's an overrated prick 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Croydon said:

He's an overrated prick 
    Yeah like what’s he ever done over than win an Olympic gold and multiple world heavyweight titles without dodging opponents!!!

How disrespectful… I’m sure you perfect in your career and your achievements are on par with AJ’s
  • Options
    Joshua's only chance against Usyk is to improve his stamina and bully him from the off. He will never outbox him.
  • Options
    Joshua can be both a good boxer and overrated. He's not as bad as the rabid anti-Joshua people might try and claim... But he's not as good as some people (including himself, apparently) seem to think he is.

He really wants to be seen as a "proper" boxer not just a puncher but he's just not as skilful as that, as his last fight shows. 
  • Options
    He would earn more respect if he was to fight Fury or Wilder but he has been kept away from those two for a very good reason. 
  • Options
    I don’t dislike Joshua as a person, my problem is he isn't the fighter he or his team seem to think he is and rightly or wrong depending on your viewpoint he has been very carefully managed in terms of opponents but thats hardly unusual for a ticket seller 

I've said it before, Chisora showed how to at least make Usyck uncomfortable by throwing him around, roughing him up and physically dominating him. And that was a few fights ago, now Usyck has grown more into the weight and showed he still has the speed, guile and stamina at heavyweight. 

Which I'd find a bit scary if I was any heavyweight other than Fury who I think is just too big for Usyck 
  • Options
    Fury can actually box and move around as well, and take a hit. 
  • Options
    Josh Warrington to fight Kiko Martinez in March. Unfair I think on Lara, who deserves the title shot, after battering JW. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    McBobbin said:
    Fury can actually box and move around as well, and take a hit. 

Yes he can - but even Fury would have big issues with Usyk's speed and movement.

Is AJ a good fighter - yes, but not a great fighter. Is Fury a good fighter, most definitely but still short of the 'great' title. Usyk is a Hall of Fame fighter.

All about opinions of course - which makes boxing such a great sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed he’s not the perfect fighter but has done amazing with his athletic gifts, given he started very late.

People seem to treat it like it’s his fault he’s not as good as Usyk or Fury… what’s he supposed to do just give up. He didn’t dodge Fury did he? He signed the deal and Fury pulled out, how’s that AJ’s fault?

My issue is the same people all slagging him off now are the same people people that 4 years ago were all over him singing Sweet Caroline etc. When he was undefeated & blasting everyone.  Fickle bunch 

… and to call him an overrated prick is just wrong!
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Agreed he’s not the perfect fighter but has done amazing with his athletic gifts, given he started very late.

People seem to treat it like it’s his fault he’s not as good as Usyk or Fury… what’s he supposed to do just give up. He didn’t dodge Fury did he? He signed the deal and Fury pulled out, how’s that AJ’s fault?

My issue is the same people all slagging him off now are the same people people that 4 years ago were all over him singing Sweet Caroline etc. When he was undefeated & blasting everyone.  Fickle bunch 

… and to call him an overrated prick is just wrong!
    Then I shall just call him overrated.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Carter said:
    Croydon said:

He's an overrated prick 
    Yeah like what’s he ever done over than win an Olympic gold and multiple world heavyweight titles without dodging opponents!!!

How disrespectful… I’m sure you perfect in your career and your achievements are on par with AJ’s
    Not sure what anyone's own achievements have got to do with it.

Is he overrated? Yes. He certainly was. Many people were saying for a while that he's not as good as the hype.

Is he a prick? He's not everybody's cup of tea, like most boxers, divides opinion. I certainly don't like him, i never have.
  • Options
    Fair enough if you don’t like him or rate him. But no need for the names and to knock his achievements - which are considerable.

I can’t stand Fury but I can still accept he’s a world class heavyweight.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Josh Warrington to fight Kiko Martinez in March. Unfair I think on Lara, who deserves the title shot, after battering JW. 
    Really surprised Galahad didn't take the rematch, he was in total control until that punch was landed. Guess he's moving up weight. 
  • Options
    I love AJ, seen some cracking fights of his including against Klitschko (about as exciting as it gets), and his fights against Parker and Ruiz II show he has developed. But he is limited and got it all wrong against an exceptional talent in Usyk. Really, the top heavyweights should have fought each other by now, that's the biggest frustration (see also the lightweights and Spence/Crawford). 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Really surprised Galahad didn't take the rematch, he was in total control until that punch was landed. Guess he's moving up weight. 

Yeah not been officially announced but he is going up. Makes sense as he looked awful on the scales.
  • Options

The Olympics without boxing is unthinkable to me.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Indeed. Another sport would have to step up to replace the dazzling amount of bent judging that we have become all too accustomed to. 

I can see no way that it won’t be added at a later date in all honesty. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Problem is boxing is so, so corrupt that even the IOC have gotten sick of it. Which granted is rich coming from them but you know where I'm going. 

Boxing News did a great piece on the ridiculous openly accepted nonsense that goes on and to be fair to the editor he has always banged that drum and pissed off various sanctioning bodies and if you are pissing them off you are doing something right. The sport is unclean 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    bobmunro said:

Problem is boxing is so, so corrupt that even the IOC have gotten sick of it. Which granted is rich coming from them but you know where I'm going. 

Boxing News did a great piece on the ridiculous openly accepted nonsense that goes on and to be fair to the editor he has always banged that drum and pissed off various sanctioning bodies and if you are pissing them off you are doing something right. The sport is unclean 

Yes it is, and was ever thus.

But I still naively try to see the sport through rose tinted glasses and memories of the greats winning Olympic Golds - Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Whittaker, De La Hoya, Lewis, Loma, Usyk - the great Cubans Stevenson, Savon, Kindelan and so on.
  • Options
    Eubank really doing the business against Williams. His speed is far superior and Williams is just getting countered time and time again. Great performance so far. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Williams just not on the same level. Walking on to those counters
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    He's trying but this is a  mis-match.
  • Options
    Amazing timing, all 3 knock downs it looked like he'd barely been touched 
  • Options
    Timing beats speed and he's countering has been on point tonight. Good game plan. 
  • Options
    Good couple fights coming up on DAZN tonight, especially the main event. 

Really hope Ryder can overcome Jacobs and get some bigger fights. Felt for him after that Smith fight last year.

Treble for me:

Cash PTS
    Fisher KO 
    Jacobs PTS

• Options
    Cash got away with one there i think. Draw would of been fair after the 2 knockdown and point deduction.

Fisher looks like going distance.

Think ryder might have to much for jacobs who's last 2 performances lead me to think he's on the slide
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Khan vs Brook this weekend and I have to say say I wasn’t initially, but now I am looking forward to it. Press conference was quite entertaining today.

I do think it’s a 50/50 fight. The longer the fight goes on, the more I’m favouring Khan. Expect Kell will start the better and put the pressure on but fade eventually. 

How do you see it? 
  • Options
    Can see brook on points. Yes it's 5 years late but it'll be fun and I want to watch it