Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Henderson really injured?

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Pope is a good keeper, getting better all the time. But he is "older than Courtois" so that counts against him for our football expert CEO.

Courtois is not playing well since his injury.

Our CEO isn't covering herself in glory using him as a yardstick
    Yes but the only other goalies she has heard of are Mignolet and Thuram.
  • mogodon said:

I have always had concerns about Henderson, his slow distribution drives me mad but it's mainly the fact that he seems to be rooted to his line on corners and flatly refuses to come for the ball, is it just a coincidence that we seem to have stopped shipping goals from corners and set pieces since Pope came back into the team?

Henderson kept the scorelines decent in a fair few of the shambolic performances between October and March, so wouldn't be too hard on him. I think the difference might be that some of the defenders have actually learned to defend. Funny instilling that in them never occurred to the tactical genius Karel Fraeye.
    His shot stopping can't be called into question but i was specifically referring to his performance at corners, there was a period where we conceded at virtually every corner and, having watched him closely, i don't think it was always the fault of the defence, the keeper can't stay on his line every time, he needs to come for the ball now and then.
  • mogodon said:

I have always had concerns about Henderson, his slow distribution drives me mad but it's mainly the fact that he seems to be rooted to his line on corners and flatly refuses to come for the ball, is it just a coincidence that we seem to have stopped shipping goals from corners and set pieces since Pope came back into the team?

Henderson kept the scorelines decent in a fair few of the shambolic performances between October and March, so wouldn't be too hard on him. I think the difference might be that some of the defenders have actually learned to defend. Funny instilling that in them never occurred to the tactical genius Karel Fraeye.
    His shot stopping can't be called into question but i was specifically referring to his performance at corners, there was a period where we conceded at virtually every corner and, having watched him closely, i don't think it was always the fault of the defence, the keeper can't stay on his line every time, he needs to come for the ball now and then.
    Henderson was very good last season . He also had the real misfortune to play a lot behind Johnson and Sarr
  • SDAddick said:

The fact that he has put together a good run of games, including three or four clean sheets, shows that there's something there, regardless of how he looks after 20 or 25 games. If he does have an off match or two that should of course be counted, but you could point to this run of form and say "there's something to work with here for a 24 year old keeper, he can be Championship quality."

Very much in the first team on merit from what I can tell. Whenever I've seen him before this run, I thought he looked like he had the ability, he was just young, raw, and at times lacking in confidence. Some of the stick he gets on here is a bit confusing to me. With more confidence (completely agree FA, confidence is huge for him) and consistency, I think he could be a good first choice keeper for a while regardless of what division we're in.

I think he's going to be the new Mike Salmon.
  • mogodon said:

Don't think Hendo's ability or character should be questioned but this chap makes a fair point.
  • wmcf123 said:

Pope is a good keeper, getting better all the time. But he is "older than Courtois" so that counts against him for our football expert CEO.

Pope has had a handful of decent games. Let's judge him over a longer spell
    Not trying to cause an argument but why does he have to be judged over a longer spell if he's playing well.

He only has to have one bad game and people judge that he's not up to Championship standard?
    He has a weakness with low shots, he just can't seem to hold them. His mistakes don't always lead to goals because opposition strikers aren't always close enough to take advantage but the weakness is there. We all know he can make decent stops & he does seem a little more confident in this run of games so who knows ? I just hope our keepers coach is working on this problem because there's no point in making a string of great saves if you just give the opposition a goal.
  • Friend of a friend (probably bollox) heard that Henderson was dropped because he told the club he was going back to Ireland for a relatives funeral and there wasn't one
  • edited April 2016

Friend of a friend (probably bollox) heard that Henderson was dropped because he told the club he was going back to Ireland for a relatives funeral and there wasn't one

That line if true, was spun previously by Stephen Ireland nearly 9 years ago;
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/sep/15/newsstory.sport4

Perhaps there's a book of excuses footballers refer to like all the weird ones I used to hear from people taking sickies :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• The way the club is run the one area you need that extra depth is in the goalkeeping department. Whoever starts the season as number one is unlikely to keep it due to having no defence in front of them for the first half of each season. Confidence dips because of the sheer number of goals they concede and the fact they take a bit more stick from fans (sometimes deserved / sometimes not). Hope they are both with us next year.
  • Hendo is a brilliant keeper, better than us... But I still can't help but think we miss hamers distribution. Different gravy.
  • Last season when Hendo was injured Pope's distribution was terrible whereas Hendos was very good. This season when Hendo came back, his distribution became very slow, I don't know why, a confidence issue and he shipped a shit load of goals that were not his fault.

Pope came in, and his distribution is now good.

Also on a confidence run he is coming for balls quicker and shutting attacks off.

He still needs to improve on his punches, doesn't claim enough for me, and on the knee high shots which is his major weak point.

Improved massively this season and now a good championship keeper (Hendo at best I rate as premiership keeper).

No idea how old he is, he looks around 23 to me.
  • Looked on OS, birth date 19 April 1992.

23 a very lucky guess, 24 soon.
  • Last season when Hendo was injured Pope's distribution was terrible whereas Hendos was very good. This season when Hendo came back, his distribution became very slow, I don't know why, a confidence issue and he shipped a shit load of goals that were not his fault.

Also on a confidence run he is coming for balls quicker and shutting attacks off.

He still needs to improve on his punches, doesn't claim enough for me, and on the knee high shots which is his major weak point.

Improved massively this season and now a good championship keeper (Hendo at best I rate as premiership keeper).

Was very impressed at how quick he was off his line a couple times against 'Boro.

On Hendo not coming for corners, I am going mostly on highlights, but that seems to be the case. The man who is the worst for this is Shay Given. In his prime he was an excellent shot stopper, absolutely world class. But he never came off his line for corners and crosses. Manchester City's defense looked completely different when Hart came back from Birmingham. Given's distribution was also terrible.

If a keeper doesn't come for the high ball I suspect it drastically alters the way a team defends a corner, means they have to start deeper and obviously cover more area. Again, I can't level this at Hendo myself because I haven't seen enough of him of late, I just wonder.
  • drewman said:

SDAddick said:

The fact that he has put together a good run of games, including three or four clean sheets, shows that there's something there, regardless of how he looks after 20 or 25 games. If he does have an off match or two that should of course be counted, but you could point to this run of form and say "there's something to work with here for a 24 year old keeper, he can be Championship quality."

Very much in the first team on merit from what I can tell. Whenever I've seen him before this run, I thought he looked like he had the ability, he was just young, raw, and at times lacking in confidence. Some of the stick he gets on here is a bit confusing to me. With more confidence (completely agree FA, confidence is huge for him) and consistency, I think he could be a good first choice keeper for a while regardless of what division we're in.

Think I'm too young for this one. Is that good or bad?
  • SDAddick said:

Last season when Hendo was injured Pope's distribution was terrible whereas Hendos was very good. This season when Hendo came back, his distribution became very slow, I don't know why, a confidence issue and he shipped a shit load of goals that were not his fault.

Was very impressed at how quick he was off his line a couple times against 'Boro.

On Hendo not coming for corners, I am going mostly on highlights, but that seems to be the case. The man who is the worst for this is Shay Given. In his prime he was an excellent shot stopper, absolutely world class. But he never came off his line for corners and crosses. Manchester City's defense looked completely different when Hart came back from Birmingham. Given's distribution was also terrible.

If a keeper doesn't come for the high ball I suspect it drastically alters the way a team defends a corner, means they have to start deeper and obviously cover more area. Again, I can't level this at Hendo myself because I haven't seen enough of him of late, I just wonder.
    I think when a keeper doesn't come off the line at corners it's often a reflection of their lack of confidence in the defenders.

With Given, though, I think that he's a bit small for a keeper these days, and struggles against taller players...
  • I might vote Hendo for POTY because
    1) Doing that interview
    2) Liking the anti-Roland tweets.
  • Unfortunately, Pope gives off an aura like a 'rabbit in the headlights'. I hold my breath every time the ball comes near him. Not my choice as I really want him to do well. Some clever psychologist needs to work with him to change his mannerisms and body language.
  • Sponsored links:

• drewman said:

SDAddick said:

Badz Salmon was also the most miserable bastard to put on a Charlton shirt.
  • drewman said:

SDAddick said:

Really? I found him very pleasant when I spoke to him at a kit sponsors evening. I had the misfortune to sponsor Petterson, who couldn't even be bothered to turn up. The arrogant Aussie rates as my least favourite player of all time.
  • drewman said:

SDAddick said:

Really? I found him very pleasant when I spoke to him at a kit sponsors evening. I had the misfortune to sponsor Petterson, who couldn't even be bothered to turn up. The arrogant Aussie rates as my least favourite player of all time.
    But that save against Palace ..
  • meldrew66 said:

Unfortunately, Pope gives off an aura like a 'rabbit in the headlights'. I hold my breath every time the ball comes near him. Not my choice as I really want him to do well. Some clever psychologist needs to work with him to change his mannerisms and body language.

Be easier to get the psychologist to stop you panicking!
  • meldrew66 said:

Unfortunately, Pope gives off an aura like a 'rabbit in the headlights'. I hold my breath every time the ball comes near him. Not my choice as I really want him to do well. Some clever psychologist needs to work with him to change his mannerisms and body language.

I think the aura has been "Oh feck, not again..."
  • meldrew66 said:

4 goals conceded in the 5 matches he's played during this run (with 3 clean sheets) hardly suggests a rabbit in the headlights.

I'm not saying it's his fault, but Hendo conceded as many goals in his last match, Reading!
  • I think Pope's made the jersey his again, it reminds me of when we had Randolph and Elliott, two equally good keepers, that we could rotate between with minimal worry...

Unless the shot is fizzed at Pope's body, he has an unholy ability to spill those to a striker.
  • meldrew66 said:

Guessing you didn't see the Ipswich match or highlights?

Seriously I've slated the lad but when he's confident (like right now) he's a very decent keeper at this level.
  • Doesn't Pope's contract run out this summer?
  • Doesn't Pope's contract run out this summer?

Only Dhillon Phillips out of the Goalkeepers (and possibly Marko Dmitrovic) have their Contracts running down.